HTML Controls or Web Server Controls?

there are  2 different categories of controls in asp.net2.0, the HTML controls and WebServer controls, what are the differences in terms of usage?

or in what circumstances each of these 2 categories should be used?

Achievement provides the only real pleasure in life
0
ssffcc

The HTML controls are primarily used when porting old ASP applications (or plain HTML) pages to ASP.NET. They are also sometimes used when you want to write large amounts of client-side JavaScript.

The ASP.NET server-side controls are used when you want to write server-side code to get/set the values of the controls (but bear in mind that they render as standard markup, so you can also program against them on the client if you want).

The ASP.NET controls offer a much cleaner and consistent object model for programming (on the server), whereas the HTML controls (when marked with runat="server") provide a less consistent model. For example, an ASP.NET TextBox is used to represent text, textarea and password input controls, just by setting its TextMode property.

The ASP.NET controls are also great when used in conjunction with validation controls.

Finally, ASP.NET controls remember there state between round-trips. The HTML controls do not, so you either have to set their values or mark them with runat="server" to give them a server-side presence so that ASP.NET can reset their state for you.

Consequently, the ASP.NET controls should be used in by far the majority of cases.

Regards

Dave
0
DMW
12/19/2006 2:19:02 AM

Try this: http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/348.aspx

Hope that helps.

Aaron

Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so everyone will know you have been helped.
0
agolden

HTML Server Control or Web Server Control?
Hi, Being new to ASP.NET I have one thing confusing me much. 1. Whats the major difference between HTML Server Control and Web Server Control? 2. Whats the advantage of processing all the HTML Controls in Server? Server will not be overloaded with this? Which one should I use?..Plain HTML or HTML Server Control or Web Server Control? Thanks and Regards _________________ ASP 2 ASP.NET FYI: http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/09/asp/toc.asp Colt Hi Colt, Thanks for the link. I personally prefer server controls - - there are so many more possi...

html server controls and web server controls
hello what is the difference between html server controls and web server controls? what is the main goal of converting html elements to html server controls , so why i can directly use the web server controls instead of converting process? thank you for the help and for the time If you convert a normal html control to a html server control then you can work with and reference it programmatically. MS advises using web controls where possible. But if your application uses vast amounts of html controls its far easier to just apply runat="server" than to re invent them a...

Difference between Web Server control and HTML Server control
 HI, I want to know what is the main difference between html server control and web server controls.Thanks in advanceVikram Vikram www.vikramlakhotia.comPlease mark the answer if it helped you  The difference is that html server controls have syntax and rendering closely mapped to html objects.  Where as web server controls have more relation to the .NET Framework. Web server controls have a richer and wider range of special purpose controls.  Calenders, tree views, etc.. If a post helps you please mark it as an answer.  Is that the only difference...

HTML Server Controls V/s. Web Server Controls?
How does one understand when to use HTML Server Controls & when to use Web Server Controls in a Web Form? In other words, when should HTML Server Controls be used & when should Web Server Controls be used in a Web Form?ThanksRON*********If you have an apple & I have an apple & we exchange our apples, then each of us will still have only 1 apple but if you have an idea & I have an idea & we exchange our ideas, then each of us will have 2 ideas Web Server Controls should always be used. HTML Server controls were meant so that a standard HTML page could ...

HTML server control and web controls
I would like to know when to use HTML controls with runat=server and web controls? and what is the difference between these two thanksfeed the creative machine The biggeest difference is that you can access a control's properties in the code-behind if it contains 'runat=server'...If you have a label control that you will not need to change in any way, use the HTML control - if you will be changing the text of the label, you can add 'runat=server' to the HTML control or use the label server control... Just remember - to change the text of a label server control, you would co...

Web Server Control Containing another Web Server Control?
I'm building a web server control that needs to include functionality from 3rd party web server control, ASPNetMenu. My web server control needs to render ASPNetMenu at runtime to create a menu. I'd like to do this so that my control's parent ASPX page does not need to register ASPNetMenu or make any configuration changes as this should be done through my web server control. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to do this? Mike - Cache entire web sites at the client and server and keep cache current. Cache just got easier! There are two articles that you would want to be int...

How to add a Web server or HTML server controls (such as CheckBox) to the template in GridView and bind the controls to a data source.
How to add a Web server or HTML server controls (such as CheckBox) to the template in GridView and bind the controls to a data source. Normally, We can add a Web server or HTML server controls to the template in GridView control,just like the Code 1I hope to do the same thing by programming (just like the Code 2), but I can ony add the BoundField,I don't know how to add a CheckBox control to the template in GridView , could you help me? //--------------------------------------------Code 1------------------------------------------------------------<asp:GridView AutoGenerateColumns="False...

Web Form Server Controls Vs. HTML controls
Hi1. What is the difference between Web Form Server controls and HTML controls with runat="server" attribute.e.g. <input type="text" id="mytext" runat="server"> Vs. <asp:TextBox id="mytext" />2. Why we should not use the normal HTML control instead of Server Controls since HTML controls are rendered on client side the performance in using them will be much better that using Web form server controls. Pls. can somebody explain this.- Anand one thing i know. there are much more options for the web controls. and web controls are easier to use than the http controls. for exampl...

How to get control inside datalist web server control
hi, I am using <asp:hyperlink id="hyper"> control in one datalist control, i want to bind url at the time of itemdatabound event so please suggest me how to get this controls handle   See if this works (in C#): protected void DataList1_ItemDataBound(object sender, DataListItemEventArgs e) { HyperLink hl = e.Item.FindControl("hyper") as HyperLink; hl.NavigateUrl = "whatever"; }  ...

Actual difference between a HTML Server Control and a Web Control
Hi, I have a primitve doubt - what is the precise difference between a HTML control with runat= server  and an ASP.NET web server control.i think i read its something to do with how events are fired and so on but am not very clear...i want to know all the differences at the lifecycle level as well as from the usage point of view.Thanks Thanks and RegardsNirumaThe difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! HTML controls are quick & light, while web controls are more feature rich.Here are more details about the differences between HTML controls and web controls:http:...

communication b/w html controls and .net server controls

Convert a html table control to a Table Web Server Control
How Convert a html table control to a Table Web Server Control? add runat="server" attribute to the <table> tag...

html control, server control
what is the difference between html control, server control and web controls See this post - http://forums.asp.net/thread/1553414.aspx Though if using a templated control I would not use either unless I need the value of the control on postback. Simple use literals with bound attributes. Rgds, Martin.Rgds,Martin.For the benefit of all users please mark any post answers as appropriate. "A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square."   A 'Control' is the basis for all ASP controls.  It has certain properties and methods that other, more developed controls c...

Web resources about - HTML Controls or Web Server Controls? - asp.net.getting-started

Firefighters battle out of control bushfire in Bullsbrook
Around 70 firefighters are battling an out of control bush-fire in Bullsbrook.

Firefighters battle out of control bushfire in Bullsbrook
Around 70 firefighters are battling an out of control bush-fire in Bullsbrook.

Firefighters battle out of control bushfire in Bullsbrook
Around 70 firefighters are battling an out of control bush-fire in Bullsbrook.

Firefighters battle out of control bushfire in Bullsbrook
Around 70 firefighters are battling an out of control bush-fire in Bullsbrook.

As it happened: Fire crews battle out-of-control blazes in southern states
Emergency warnings are in place for a fire burning in Victoria's north-east while fire crews also tackle blazes in ACT, NSW and Tasmania.

Dell Issues Patch For Content Adaptive Brightness Control On The XPS 13
... issues, as all devices do. One that was very frustrating to deal with during the review was the aggressive Content Adaptive Brightness Control ...

Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games
Breitbart News Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games Breitbart News Riot Games, the creators of ...

China's Xi on cyberspace control
Chinese President Xi Jinping defended his country's right to censor Internet content, signaling confidence in the strategy.

Taliban forces take control of key district in Afghanistan's Helmand province
CNN Taliban forces take control of key district in Afghanistan's Helmand province CNN Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) Taliban forces have taken almost ...