How to pull data from a remote server to the web server. Initiated by the web server session.

Hello.

I am brand new to asp.net. Just starting to do web development.

However I do have extensive software experience developing

applications on local networks, mobile devices, vb.net, vb.net remoting,

etc.

Here is the senario:

    Bob delivers bottled water to several hundred accounts.

    Bob keeps all information regarding his accounts in an

    SQL server located at site A.  Bob has an ASP.net application

    hosted on a web server at site B.  Bob wants to allow his

    accounts to log in to the web server at site B and view

    their account information located at site A.  Keep in mind

    the request for account information is initiated at the web

    server at site B.

My question.  Is this possible?  Can asp.net facilitate this?

    If not then any suggestions on what technology will facilitate this?

Much thanks for any help.

Neb

0
Nebekunezerthefirst
7/10/2008 1:44:23 PM
📁 asp.net.getting-started
📃 91979 articles.
⭐ 3 followers.

💬 3 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1126 Views

 But of coarse!

As long as your applications (be it ASP.NET or anything else) use the same database... You just need to make sure that you will be able to access data in the database going from B - A (security issues). My advice would be to have SQL server and Web server at the same location.

Alexei Fimine
_____________
Don't forget to mark this post as "Answer" if it indeed answered.
0
fimine
7/10/2008 2:00:58 PM

 Thanks for your response fimine. However; co locating the web server and sql server is not an option.  I did find a useful web site with an article and sample application from Peter Bromberg.  I plan to work with his sample code and explore other solutions as they come available.

Here is the link to Peter's article.

Neb

0
Nebekunezerthefirst
7/10/2008 3:07:46 PM

If you have a provider of remoting then for sure you can use this. I just thought that nowdays, most of providers would have SQL and Web.

Alexei Fimine