data, data, data

Hello, I need some advice on the best method to keep a database updated in this scenario. I have a local Solomon SQL Server where we keep our inventory. I want to build an application that will be hosted at a remote hosting location which provides a SQL database. I want to build the application to allow clients to access the inventory items and make requests based on the remote SQL data. The order will be sent to our fulfillment department via email; they will fiill the request and ship.  I'm not sure the method to do this while keeping the data current on the remote and the local database. Any advice would be of great help.
0
gogetsome

What DB are you going to be using Remotly?

There are things like Publication / Subscriptions, DTS, and Web Services that all could accomplish this task.

Bryan Sampica
Auction Site StarterKit |
My Blog
0
Freakyuno
11/14/2005 8:46:20 PM
Hi there,

Instead of having 2 separate databases, why don't you have one database which you are using for your apps. However, in order for client and administrator to access those database, you can create two separate account, one for client and one for admin.

Hope this helps.

Ron.
Best regards,

Ron.

0
ronnyr
11/14/2005 8:48:41 PM
Freakyuno, thanks for replying the remote database is SQL 2000. I've done some import and export with DTS but not to a remote server outside our domain. Do you know of any tutorials. A web service  sounds interesting too. Would that be able to ensue that the databases are always updated?
0
gogetsome
11/15/2005 12:15:28 AM
Thanks ronnyr for your reply. I understand about permissions and all but we would not like to allow Internet users into our domain let alone interact with the only server which controls our biz...
0
gogetsome
11/15/2005 12:18:52 AM
You have two options use DTS package through a stored proc you either use DTSRUN.exe or XP_CMDSHELL which is SQL Server Agent dependent. Try the links below for DTSRUN.exe sample code and XP_CMDSHELL configurations with permissions.  What I am saying is to run DTS with SQL Server Agent dependent service like xp_CMDSHELL you must give the account used to install SQL Server Agent Admin permissions in Windows and SQL Server. Hope this helps.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_xp_aa-sz_8sdm.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_xp_aa-sz_4jxo.asp

http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=19595

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/15/2005 1:10:46 AM

Thanks Caddre for the links. I read through and found them very interesting. The SQL team article was most useful to execute a DTS package from ASP.NET. I have been able to do this with the procedure below which I call from the app. I was wondering if you could let me know what is the difference and which method is better from a best practices point.

DECLARE @object int
DECLARE @hr int

--create a package object
EXEC @hr = sp_OACreate 'DTS.Package', @object OUTPUT
if @hr <> 0
BEGIN
    print 'error create DTS.Package'
    RETURN
END

EXEC @hr = sp_OAMethod @object, 'LoadFromStorageFile',
     NULL, 'C:\test.dts', ''
IF @hr <> 0
BEGIN
    print 'error LoadFromStorageFile'
    RETURN
END

EXEC @hr = sp_OAMethod @object, 'Execute'
IF @hr <> 0
BEGIN
  print 'Execute failed'
  RETURN
END

0
gogetsome
11/15/2005 2:36:11 PM
Solomon is a product of Microsoft Great Plains so the solution is ok and there is no best practice that I know.  I only from experience that xp_cmdshell can run for up to four hours a day five days a week so it depends on your needs.  So I would run some tests now to use the code you have and BTW check the link below for sample DTS code Darren Green does only DTS.  Hope this helps.

http://www.sqldts.com
Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

Data Data :|
Ok, i have a very simple access database called score with just one table called high. This is just going to be used to keep the current score of a higher scorer and there name However, when the page loads i want the user to see this current high score and the persons name, but just one record i only ever want this to hold one record aswell..When the user finish’s the game there score is currently presented to them, when this happens i would like to connect to the database and check weather there score is higher than the current score (may have changed since they loaded page...

Data or Data
I pronounce it "data". HTH I pronounce it dAta and data. Depends upon my mood and the context it's in. Like I preserve dAta, but i lose data. :P Matthew wrote: > I pronounce it dAta and data. Depends upon my mood and the context it's > in. Like I preserve dAta, but i lose data. :P Lt Commander D "ay" ta. Nuff said. In fact he corrected Dr Pulaski when she called him D "ah" ta. D ay ta, d ah ta, what's the difference? One is my name... the other is not. :) <-geek > > Lt Commander D "ay&quo...

How to get data from data base and display it in data grid
 hi,am having a connection to data base and now what i want is , how can i display the data from database and display it in my data grid.any sample code of 2 or 3 lines can be of great help. i know how do i get data for a drop down from data base  as below.List<CRoleBE> roleList = roleInterface.GetAllRoles();ddlBaseRole.Items.Add(new ListItem("Select any Role", "-1"));foreach (CRoleBE businessEntity in roleList){    ListItem item = new ListItem(businessEntity.Name, businessEntity.ID.ToString());    ddlBaseRole.Items.Add(i...

Data Connection has no data in the data grid???
I have a data connection that I use to create a data set and I bind the data set to a data grid, but when I run the page no data or grid appears... I know there is data in the table that the data connection attaches to. Please review my code below and offer suggestions why my data grid is empty. Thanks,Ryan<%@ Page Language="C#" %><%@ Register TagPrefix="wmx" Namespace="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework.Web.UI" Assembly="Microsoft.Matrix.Framework, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f763c9966660626" %><%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %><%@ import Namespace...

Need to get whole data from data grid view into data table
Hi I have one gridview. which have some textboxes and some are data boud columns. I want to fetch whole the data in the gridview into one data set or datatable.And then insert that dataset or datatable into one other database table. Is there any way to do that. Please reply as soon as possible at max_ashu@yahoo.com and ashish.gautam@rbs.com  regards Ashish Gautam Hi,Can you check this article helps you http://www.aspdotnetcodes.com/GridView_Insert_Edit_Update_Delete.aspx. becoz they took data input from gridview control and insert into the database then display it again. p...

Getting data from data columns
 for now if i want to say retrive a field from a row, i use 1 SQLDataSource, 1 GridViewThen in the code it will be like Dim temp as String = GridView.Rows(0),Cells(5).Text, works but i need quite alot of redundant controls isit? how do i do it with say just 1 SQLDataSource or something else, classic ASP with SQL code, is a bit complex sometimes, although if thats the only way i don't mind, but state how to do it? i get quite blur when it comes to ASP with SQL, they by itself is still ok. Hello my friend, The SQLDataSource is good for simple get and display, but when you need to i...

Get Data from Data Grid
I have a gridview with one column and select enabled, I want to get the data from the selected row's column into a string. This should be fairly simple however I'ts not something that has been easy to find reference to.  You can get the value using this code   protected void GridView1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)    {        string strData = GridView1.SelectedRow.Cells[1].Text;    } You need to decide in which event of grid u want the value  Don't say thanks rathe...

Get Data From The Data Grid
Hi ...I tried to get the data from the data grid where the column is visible=false when edit the datagrid ...how to do tht ???I tried Dim a as string = e.item.cells(1).text, but the result is ""hope to receive your reply.thank you very much :)   Cheers,Cherie In Edit mode event hidden column contains the textbox with the text in it if you are using the BoundColumn. Try accessing that textbox Cheers Bug [MCSD] FYI, if you are using BoundColumnDim a as String = CType(e.Item.Cells(1).Controls(0),TextBox).Text TemplateColumnDim a as String = CType(e.Item.Cells(1...

get data from Datagridview(gets data from SqlDataSource1)
 I got data from database into my datagridview via sqlDatasource1 i.e by using given tools, no programming et all.I want to access rows of each Gridview row separately and then show them in textboxes of my own choice, instead of in gridview. How can I do that? It works numberOfRows = datagridview.Rows.Count;but following doesn'ttextbox1.Text=datagridview.Rows[0].cells[1].Text;Dont know why it doesn;t?Then I tried to get data of this gridview to another but it didn;t work too.Help me plzzz.....I m stuck hereRegards,Mohsin Can you please post your GridView code? I have some cod...

to fetch data gridview data into a data table
Hi I have one gridview. which have some textboxes and some are data boud columns. I want to fetch whole the data in the gridview into one data set or datatable.And then insert that dataset or datatable into one other database table. Is there any way to do that. Please reply as soon as possible at max_ashu@yahoo.com and ashish.gautam@rbs.com  regards Ashish Gautam Hi, >>"...and some are data boud columns..."  Where does the original data on the GridView come from? From you words, seems that it also from a DataSet? If so, you can save the input values ...

passing data from controls to session then taking the data and writing custom sql queries to get data from the database
Hi, I'm making a property search. I want to get data from controls and store in a session object which saved in the session until remove or close the browser so on the next page I can take the data stored in the session and use it to write a custom sql query using vb.net or stored procedure to get data from the database and then display the date in the list of results page. Can anyone help with this or forward me to some tutorials that could help me. ThanksAndy Current project: Cycle round the world Heytry thissession["name"]=TextBoxName.Text; And in ...

Data and Data Access
Hi, I have been lately programming against both an SQL server DB and an Oracle DB. Both containing the same data. There seems to be massive differences in how quickly each DB reacts to SQL queries. I was wondering if anyone knew or has any tips about decreasing the amount of time queries take to execute. My problem, when performing a multiple join query and returning 260 records the query in Oracle will take about one and a half minutes the same in SQL will take 14 seconds (still too long), using the same query returning 4 records takes Oracle about 1 second and SQL around 8. I see peo...

data type DATA
just want to ask why i still encounter "Type Expected" error in the DATA data type. though i already imports the System.Data.SqlClient...

how to htmlencode data when using data controls to display data
Hi Lets say you are displaying a colllection of records in a gridview and you want to make sure all of the rows and columns are html encoded before you display them, how can can you get the gridview to do this automatically? I don't want to have to create a template for each bound column. Thanks very much andrea Hi Andrea, I believe there is a "HtmlEncode" property on each column that you can set.  By default I believe it is set to true.  You can pull up the column editor by selecting the "edit columns" task, and then select the columns in the botton left of the dialog to see...

Web resources about - data, data, data - asp.net.getting-started

Data - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For data in computer science, see Data (computing) . For other uses, see Data (disambiguation) . is a set of values of qualitative or quantitative ...

Data stickies, a graphene alternative to flash drives
Data stickies is a design concept, but not necessarily a pipe dream. There’s some real science here. dataSTICKIES are conceptualized to be made ...

Apple promises fix for iPhone 6s, 6s Plus not displaying accurate battery data
In a new support document, Apple has acknowledged a problem in which an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus may not show the right battery percentage as power ...

Seagate introduces 10TB enterprise HDD for data centers
Seagate is looking to increase its presence in the data center market as it unveils a new hard disk drive. The Seagate Enterprise 3.5 Capacity ...

Meet Jeb Bush’s police state: The NSA in charge of civilian data
Given the various recent terrorist attacks, it’s no wonder that hackers , cybersecurity, encryption and surveillance are all major topics of ...

4th Quarter GDPNow Forecast Sinks to +0.6 Percent; Fed Futures Target 1 Hike in 2016; Disastrous Data ...
... Manufacturing Index Posts Horrific -19.37, Lowest Reading Since April 2009 Retail Sales : December Retail Sales Negative; Other Economic Data ...

Yahoo employees are getting fed up with management, data shows
... said, " Current senior management have no real plan for long term growth." The contentious mood towards management is reflected in other data ...

The problem with Chinese data...
John Rutledge, Safanad chief investment strategist, shares his thoughts on China's GDP and real economic growth. And Mike Santoli, CNBC senior ...

Feds Rely On Report From Admitted Data Fakers To Justify Coal Mining Ban
'I disavow any and all findings and conclusions in all of my reports and testimony on the Ecuador Project'

FX’s John Landgraf Links “Too Much TV” & Lemmings, Calls Lack Of Streaming Viewership Data “Ridiculous” ...
Six months after FX CEO John Landgraf opened the “Too Much TV” discussion with his state of the union speech at the summer TCA, he was back at ...