Convert Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox to Windows.Forms.TextBox

 I am trying to take user selected text from a textbox and save that portion to a string value, but the only method I have found involves using the System.Windows.Forms namespace and since I am using the FindControl method to pull the text box control from a form view, it throws a "can not convert webcontrol to form" error at me.  So far I have been able to bring the form view controls into the code behind page, but I still have the problem of grabbing the selected text.  Here is my code:

        Dim textBox As System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox = Me.FormView.FindControl("textbox")

        Dim txtForm As Windows.Forms.TextBox

        Dim value As String

        txtForm.Text = textBox.Text (this line says a null value is being passed from the textBox variable)

        If txtForm.SelectionLength > 0 Then
            value = txtForm.SelectedText.ToString
        Else
            value = ""
        End If

 If anyone knows a trick to get the selected text into the value variable I would appreciate it.

1
graymatter3

Use

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
0
che3358
5/22/2008 8:40:48 PM

Thanks for your help, but I think you might have to be more specific than that.  I tried importing the name space alone and that did not help in adding the Selection attributes that I am using.  Even trying to convert the control over to an html form returns an error of "Unable to cast object".  Anything I can do to use this web control along with the form is what I am looking for, so I can see what is selected and then push that information back out to the same text box.

Let me know what I am doing wrong, or if there is another solution.

 You will have to forgive me for being so novice if I am missing something obvious.

0
graymatter3
5/23/2008 5:58:43 PM

In your HTML the textbox has an ID property.  To refer to the text entered into the textbox use Me.TextboxID.Text  where textboxID is replaced with the actual value of the ID property of the textbox

0
kraznodar
5/23/2008 6:34:19 PM

 Sorry, but this has nothing to do with the process I am going through.  The problem is with converting the control from a web control to a form control, it is a web control because it is in a form view and not out on it's own.  When you have a control inside a form view, the aspx.vb page will not see it, thus the reason I am using me.formview.findControl("myControl"), otherwise I would have used the format of me.textBox.Text.  Even then I still want to see what criteria the user has selected inside that text box control.

 I hope that clears it up a bit, thanks for your advice kraznodar

kraznodar:

In your HTML the textbox has an ID property.  To refer to the text entered into the textbox use Me.TextboxID.Text  where textboxID is replaced with the actual value of the ID property of the textbox

0
graymatter3
5/23/2008 7:14:20 PM

Post your .aspx too. I am not sure why you need a Form object. It is supposed already to be in your .aspx template.

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
0
che3358
5/23/2008 7:41:30 PM

This is the part of my page that I am focused on, as you can see I am using a FormView to contact the Object Data Source, the textbox control (NewsDetailTxt) is within the form view.  The reason I need to use Windows.Forms is so that I can see what is selected by the user inside the text box.  This is the only method I have seen, if there is another way to see what text is selected please let me know, but for right now I just want to know how to take the text box that exists and a web control and view the selected text.

1    <asp:FormView ID="fvEdit" runat="server"
2                        DataKeyNames="NewsCategoryID"
3                        DataSourceID="odsForm1">
4 5 <EditItemTemplate>
6 7 <table>
8 <tr>
9 <td valign="top">
10 <span style="text-decoration: underline">News Detail</span>:
11 </td>
12 <td>
13 <asp:TextBox ID="NewsDetailTxt" Text='<%# Bind("NewsDetail") %>' TextMode="multiLine" Height="300" Width="400" runat="server"></asp:TextBox> 14 </td>
15 <td valign="top">&nbsp;
16 <asp:ListBox ID="lbTools" OnSelectedIndexChanged="lbTools_SelectedIndexChanged" 17 AutoPostBack="true" runat="server">
18 <asp:ListItem Value="0">Page Tag</asp:ListItem>
19 <asp:ListItem Value="1">Bold</asp:ListItem>
20 <asp:ListItem Value="2">Underline</asp:ListItem>
21 <asp:ListItem Value="3">Unordered List</asp:ListItem>
22 <asp:ListItem Value="4">Ordered List</asp:ListItem>
23 <asp:ListItem Value="5">Font size Small</asp:ListItem>
24 </asp:ListBox>
25 </td>
26 </tr>
27 </table>
28 29 </EditItemTemplate>
30 31 </asp:FormView>
32 33 <asp:ObjectDataSource id="odsForm1" runat="server" UpdateMethod="MyUpdateMethod" TypeName="Common.MyClass" SelectMethod="MySelectMethod" DeleteMethod="MyDeleteMethod" DataObjectTypeName="Common.MyClass">
34 <SelectParameters>
35 <asp:Parameter DefaultValue="true" Name="active" Type="Boolean" />
36 <asp:ControlParameter
37 Name="NewsHeadline" 38 ControlID="gvSelect" 39 PropertyName = 'SelectedDataKey("NewsHeadline")' /> 40 </SelectParameters>
41 </asp:ObjectDataSource>

che3358:

Post your .aspx too. I am not sure why you need a Form object. It is supposed already to be in your .aspx template.

0
graymatter3
5/23/2008 8:19:51 PM

Nope. FormView is implemented insides Form object. FromView comes with some events such as commandbutton. When you invoke these events, you can use FormView's findcontrol to get the value in the control. Please find some references for help.

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
0
che3358
5/23/2008 9:07:47 PM

What I should be asking then is how does one find out what the user has highlighted in a text box when a post back has been called, if the text box is in a form view?

0
graymatter3
5/27/2008 1:24:06 PM

If I understand correctly, you're trying to get the user input of a textbox that's inside a formview's edit/insert item template. If so, then in the formview_inserting or formview_editing handlers, you can go:

dim txt as TestBox = fv.Row.FindControl("txtName") as TextBox

here, fv = id of formview

txtName = id of textbox inside the formview

Hope that helps.

0
HeartattacK
5/27/2008 1:50:54 PM

Also, you can use the findcontrol on formview.Row to find any control that's within the formview in its current mode (not just in the fv_inserting and fv_editing methods).

0
HeartattacK
5/27/2008 1:55:57 PM

What I am trying to do is when a user is updating existing material in a text box and highlights a section of the text, I want to know what that section of highlighted text is.

Example:

Say this is the text inside the text box:

    "Information about this text box"

And the user highlights only a couple of words, say they highlighted:

   "text box"

Then they click on an option in the List box, say they want to underline that portion, then in the code I want to see what section of the text inside the text box was highlighted by the user and return it to the same text box with the underline code added to it.  So the end result will be this inside the text box:

"Information about this <u>text box</u>"

 I understand how to see all the text inside the text box, that is not the problem and I have that working.  My problem originated from finding a way to see selected text by using the Windows.Forms namespace, but there is an error between the web control text box transferring to a variable designed as a windows form.

Basically I am building my own Rich Text Editor and it is a lot more trouble than I thought it would be.  If anyone knows of a good free version of one for ASP.NET that is not the FCK editor, that would also solve my problem.

Thanks for all the help.  I hope I can get a solution, please ask questions if anything is vague.

0
graymatter3
5/27/2008 3:43:12 PM

Ahh...you can't use Windows Forms controls on a web page. As for an editor: TinyMCE (it's the one used on this site).

You could also try looking into silverlight for advanced client side functionality.

0
HeartattacK
5/27/2008 4:01:55 PM

HeartattacK:

Ahh...you can't use Windows Forms controls on a web page. As for an editor: TinyMCE (it's the one used on this site).

You could also try looking into silverlight for advanced client side functionality.

 Looks like a great editor, but is there a good resource for changing the buttons used in the editor?

I found this page in the faq, tinyMCE faq but it only leads to a list of buttons allowed in the editor, not a description of how to add and delete them.

I thought that was kind of funny considering the question it refers to.

0
graymatter3

option explicit error converting system.web.ui.controls to system.web.ui.webcontrols.textbox
How would I rewrite this so that I do not get the error: "Option Strict On disallows implicit conversions from 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'." Sub doinsert(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As DataGridCommandEventArgs) If e.CommandName = "insertupdate" Then Dim custst As String Dim aprst, mayst, junst, julst, augst, sepst, octst, novst, decst, janst, febst, marst As String Dim aprtxt, maytxt, juntxt, jultxt, augtxt, septxt, octtxt, novtxt, dectxt, jantxt, feb...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'

convert Windows Forms UIs to Web Forms
that If i made an application in vb.net .How i can migrate to asp.netThanks Hi VGTA,There is no automatic wizard that will convert an ASP.NET app to WinForms, or a WinForms app to ASP.NET.  However, a number of the concepts are similar between the two models and you will be able to re-use all of your non-UI specific code.  The broader .NET Framework class library is also the same.Hope this helps,Scott I found a tool with which you can convert Windows Forms to its corresponding Web Form counterparts. http://www.suite4.net/products/form.suite4.net/win-web-forms/default.aspxAnand...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.LiteralControl' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'.
Hi, any idea why I'm getting the following error?Line 45: protected void CartGrid_RowUpdating(object sender, System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewUpdateEventArgs e) Line 46: { Line 47: TextBox QuantityTextBox = (TextBox)CartGrid.Rows[e.RowIndex].Cells[2].Controls[0]; Line 48: int Quantity = Convert.ToInt32(QuantityTextBox.Text); Line 49: Are you sure that the control at CartGrid.Rows[e.RowIndex].Cells[2].Controls[0] isn't a LiteralControl?  How are you creating code this in your code?Brent JenkinsASP.NET, C#, Web Developerwww.valewebdesign.co.uk  ...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.LiteralControl' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'

Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'
I have a new page (wireframe) based on the User_Create page in the Time Tracker starter kit.  I have no code in the code behind page.  What might be causing this error?  This newbie needs help. I had a TextBox control named "Title" which appearantly conflicted with the page title. thanks!!! ...

BC30311: Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'.
 Hello everyone, I receive the error in the subject when viewing this page, I can get it to work fine without the master page and only the textboxes, but that causes an error with line 11, even when the page contents do process to the form. I don`t understand the error and I would appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks for reading.1 <%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" Title="Untitled Page" %> 2 3 <script runat="server"> 4 5 Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) 6 Dim D...

HTML textboxes appear but not web form textboxes
Hi all, I'm new to all this VS.net and I tested it by creating a new project, and clicking and dragging an asp textbox onto the aspx page. Upon clicking "Build and Browse" the asp textbox does not appear at all. So I double checked, and yeah, Visible was set to true. So I tried clicking and dragging a normal textbox and strangely, the html textbox does appear on the screen. Please help on how I can make the ASP textbox appear. I constructed a webform entirely of ASP textboxes and ASP buttons and nothing on the page appears. Is there anything I need to add/remove on the con...

C#.NET WEB APPLICATION

Web Page with Textbox and other controls.. how to make cursor start at the Textbox
I'm putting together a page with a textbox that will input the emloyees ID, and that is used to populate in a dropdown box with each of the employees pay checks for the year. And from that dropdown box, once one selects one of the end-of-period dates, I can get the employee's pay stub informantion to show up.  Well two questions.  1) How to get the beginning cursor once the page appears, to rest on the textbox for immediate filling.  2) and then once I get the dropdown box to populate, how to get it to select the first date of the list to show (it right now will for...

TextBox.SelectedText in Web.UI.WebControls?
Hello everboy,my first post here - hope you can help me.I'm looking for a Property like ".SelectedText" for the Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox.Or how is it possible to get the Text a User has selected in a TextBox on the Frontend.The idea is to write a small webbased texteditor and therefore i need to know the selected text. Thanks for you help!Greetings,  Mat   hi mat;to get the value in a textbox you should use textbox.Text.RegardsShivam MCSD MCAD MCPMCTS - Sql2005CSM(Certified Scrum master) Thanks for your fast reply.But i don't want to get the t...

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Textbox error
I have an error when it comes to displaying the information that has been passed on from a textbox to a label at the end of all the steps, upon clicking a confirmation print button. The error, instead of displaying the total sum of the whole amount, displayed " System.Web.UI.WebControls.Textbox ". Why is this so?     string amountFinal = txtboxAmoutFinal.Text; string newAmountFinal = Convert.ToString(amountFinal); newAmountFinal = txtboxAmoutFinal.ToString(); lblAmountFinal.Text = newAmountFinal;  string grandTotal = txtboxGrandTotal.Tex...

New control inheriting from Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
Hi guys, I hope anyone can help me with this. In my project, i've created a new server control (myTextbox) inherited from the framework Textbox. This control adds some customizations to the textbox, changing OnFocus, OnBlur attributes, etc... Now I had a new need. I need to create a public boolean property that will change the client behavior of the control (It will apear with a diferent backcolor if the property is true). On the Render method, I add a new attribute using me.attributes("AttributeName") = MyProperty. Until now everything is ok, but I need to change the attribute value on the client, and need to recover the changed value when the page postback. I know this can be done by implementing the IPostBackDataHandler interface (LoadPostData method). In this case, because the controle inherits from Textbox, I get a error saying that the IPostBackDataHandler was alread implemented by the base class, and I cannot implement it. How can I make this to works? Will I have to inherit my control from WebControl instead off Textbox, loosing all funcionallity that Textbox has? Thanks in advance, Felipe Maciel I dont really understabd what you want, but I´ll make a try :) YouTexbox.Attributes.Add("bgcolor","#cacaca") Is that what you want?Mikael Söderström Let me clarify this. Imagine that you have a textbox on a page, something like this: <ASP:Textbox id="txtnm_login" maxlength=&quo...

Converting Windows Form to Web Form
Is it possible to convert a windows form to a web form? I want to convert a VB 6.0 application I worked on for a year(24 forms) to a web application. My plan is to migrate form VB 6.0 to VB .NET and then to ASP.NET Thank u in advance. well an ASP.NET app can do anything that a VB6 app can do, that is for sure :) so it is possible the question is how easy? how well did you keep separate business from user-interface logic? it may be as simple as cuttting/pasting a bunch of methods, and dropping a few visual components to call them. to maintain full compliance with...

'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox' Error
I am trying to do an update on a line, and receive the above error.  Here is the code:   Sub dgrdDetails_UpdateCommand(ByVal s As Object, ByVal e As DataGridCommandEventArgs)        Dim intRecordID As Integer                Dim txtMfgWebSite As TextBox        Dim txtVendorID As TextBox        Dim txtRepWebSite As TextBox        Dim txtPhone As TextBox    ...

SelectionStart function unavailable in system.web.ui.webcontrols.textbox?
 Hello, i was trying to highlight some text in a textbox on a webform, but the SelectionStart function that is available in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripTextBox does not seem to be available in webcontrols.textbox. I'm not even sure if i'm on the right track, but every forum I read about highlighting text suggested Java statements, or things that I didn't have the function for, like .selectall, .selStart and selLength. What I'm trying to do is have a textbox with "00000" already in it, and when the textbox becomes visible to the user, I want these zeros to already be highlighted so they can just start typing to input their TagNumber. Any help would be GREATLY appreaciated, I have given up finding an answer myself. I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, SP1. Thankyou!  rockman77:  Hello, i was trying to highlight some text in a textbox on a webform, but the SelectionStart function that is available in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripTextBox does not seem to be available in webcontrols.textbox. I'm not even sure if i'm on the right track, but every forum I read about highlighting text suggested Java statements, or things that I didn't have the function for, like .selectall, .selStart and selLength. What I'm trying to do is have a textbox with "00000" already in it, and when the textbox becomes visible to the user, I want these zeros to already be highlighted so they can just start typing to inp...

Error 1 The type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinqDataSource' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\asse
Once I build project. I encounter this error. Does someone experience this error?Error    1    The type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinqDataSource' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.6.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'    D:\Source Code\Linq_Lesson5\Default.aspx    1    1    D:\Source Code\Linq_Lesson5\  It appears tha...

Can I cast panel.controls(i) to system.web.ui.webcontrols.textbox
In a loop, I want to clear all the textboxes in a panel without writing code for each textbox. All the controls in the panel are text boxes. I am using the following code: Dim objTextControl As UI.WebControls.TextBox For lintControlCount = 0 To pnlEnterBrand..Controls.Count - 1 objTextControl = CType(pnlEnterBrand.Controls(lintControlCount), UI.WebControls.TextBox) objTextControl.Text = "" Next I get the error that this is invalid cast. Can somebody please help me out? Thank youSatish, Hyderabad, India Dim objText...

label displays "System.Web.UI.WebControls.Textbox"
The first two labels below display the correct data in a ListView (.Net 3.5) but the last two display the text "System.Web.UI.WebControls.Textbox". If someone can help me diagnose this problem, I'd appreciate it. I have no idea why a Textbox would even be involved in a Label control. These labels are contained in the ItemTemplate of the ListView; the EditItemTemplate section of my ListView is the one that contains textboxes.<asp:Label ID="lblFirstName_Item_Show" ForeColor="#000000" Width="150px" BackColor="Silver" Text=...

windows forms in vb .net into web forms

getting values from a web form to windows form
Hot Requirement ..... Is there any possible of getting values from a web form to windows form ????? Yes One way i to use the WebRequest and WebResponse classes of the System.Net namespace. For example:  WebRequest request = WebRequest.Create("URL of the web page); WebResponse response = request.GetResponse(); StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream()); string content = reader.ReadLine(); ....    Reza Nassabehwww.professionalcsharp.comDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way fut...

TabContainer cannot have children of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'.

Error: Cannot convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ButtonField'
Hello, I am getting the following error during compiliation. Any suggestions to fix it. Thanks. Cannot convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ButtonField' protected void gvEvents_RowCommand(Object sender, GridViewCommandEventArgs e) { if (e.CommandName == "Select") { int index = Convert.ToInt32(e.CommandArgument); GridViewRow selectedRow = gvEvents.Rows[index]; string sID; ButtonField btn; if (selectedRow.RowType == DataControlRowType.DataRow) { sID = ((ButtonField)selectedRow.FindControl("ID")).DataTextFi...

Web resources about - Convert Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox to Windows.Forms.TextBox - asp.net.getting-started

Request a demo - Connexus Support
Business Internet ASL SYMMETRIC ETHERNET HYBRID Hosting DOMAIN + WEB CO-LOCATION FACILITIES MAIL Networks MPLS / VPN SSL / VPN Web Tool WEBCONTROL ...

SEO Blog - Search Engine Optimisation / Search Engine Marketing & general IT blog
Read the AKA Marketing search engine optimisation blog for posts about the latest organic search engine optimisation and search engine marketing ...

ALSEDI Group. Excellent Software. Excellent Usability.
ALSEDI Group Portal. High quality Surveillance, Privacy Protection and Desktop Enhancement software.

Case insensitive compare on string in ASP.NET - Coders Grid
using System ; using System.Collections.Generic ; using System.Linq ; using System.Web ; using System.Web.UI ; using System.Web.UI.WebControls ...

advsearch
Hong Kong 繁体中文 / English China 简体中文 United States English Canada Francais / English Central-South America & Caribbean Region English / Espanol ...

Copyright Information - Media Temple
The (mt) Media Temple (mediatemple.net) web site, including all text, HTML, scripts, and images are copyright 1998-2014. All rights reserved. ...

New Microsoft DevRadio Episode: World of Warcraft API Starter Kit for Windows Phone
This is the blog of Dave Isbitski. A Technology Evangelist for Microsoft based out of Philadelphia, PA USA. He is currently focused on helping ...

Adventures in Worstpracticeville
This morning, I wrote ~4500 lines of code in about two minutes. Skeptical? I thought you would be, so here's the curious tale of how I deviated ...

ConditionalRequiredTextValidator Control
The ConditionalRequiredTextValidator control allows you to specify a CheckBox, RadioButton, CheckBoxList, RadioButtonList, DropDownList, or ListBox ...

IT Managed Service Providers with Datacenters in India - Netmagic
As a leading Managed service provider with datacenters in India, Netmagic solutions, fulfills your entire IT infrastructure requirements: from ...