client side code & server side code

what is the difference between client side coding & server side coding ? when to use client side & server side code?

0
seemadalal

Client side code runs on the user's browser and includes languages such as javascript and vbscript. Server side code runs on the web server and can be written in languages such as ASP.NET, PHP, ASP, ColdFusion etc.

Website Design Darlington - http://mdssolutions.co.uk
http://lessthandot.com - Experts, Information, Ideas & Knowledge
http://aspnetlibrary.com - An online resource for professional ASP.NET developers

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you

0
ca8msm
7/10/2007 10:37:37 AM

While I generally agree with Mark's comments, but if you want your website work across different browser, I will avoid VBScript in client side coding.

Here is what I quoted from Firefox site:  "There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes."

J.W.

J.W.

Please click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helps you.
0
yuren1978

How to get the Client side values in server side code.
Hi all, i have a proble i need to get the client side javascript values in C# code at server side. how can i pass those values? i am using version 1.1, i kno thatwe can use callback events mechnisam in 2.0 or ajax ,apart from that how we can pass? My problem is i need to stop the execution of the code based on after reciving values from the client   any ideas please???   Million thanks RamCheersRam MCP Hello Ram, a common approach is from javascript set an hidden field, then issue a postback. On the server-side, handle the post-back. Feel free to go deeper in your que...

executing server side code and client side (javascript) code simultaneously while clicking a button
how to execute server side code and client side (javascript) code simultaneously while clicking a button in asp.net. You can't. When clicking a button: the client-side executes, the page does a PostBack, then the server-side executes.NC... what if i want to update a database and then open a new windows is it possible with Jscript.net?...

How to Pass Information from Server-Side Code to Client-Side Code in AJAX Control Extender?
Hi All,For some reason I can't get the following to work: I have a custom AJAX Control Extender with a few getters and setters. I also have some images I want to use with the extender saved in a resource file. How to I make the respective image URLs available to the javascript of the extender? Are there any examples available?Thanks![Update: renamed the subject to something more appropriate.]  Perhaps I can clarify a bit:I have set up a getter and setter to set the image URL from the resource file: 1 [ExtenderControlProperty] 2 public string CoverURL 3 { 4 get...

I need to get a server side button to run this client side code?
I need to get a server side button to run this client side code when the server button is clicked and then subsequently called by the server. Is it possible? The problem is that the print control is a client side activex. I can call it normally using a client side button but this is no good when I need to print more then one page. Any help would be great. Thanks. The code: function PrintProc(){ var MyPrinter; MyPrinter = new ActiveXObject("ImgXPrint6.ImgXPrint"); MyPrinter.PageFrom = 1; MyPrinter.PageTo = 1; MyPrinter.PageM...

client side and server side code
Making things clear:When creating a web application one must know the difference between client side code and server side code.client side code is the code that is executed on the computer of the user. server side code is the code that is executed on the ....server.why is there client side code and server side code?well... server side code exist for the reason of sharing data with multiple users. for example: accessing a database.ASP.NET is a server side technology. in ASP.net you can use different languages such as VB.NET or C#.client side code is used to perform tasks on the computer of th...

How to Excecute Server side code in Client Side
I have a Textbox with linkButton on right side.  if i click linkbutton i have one text box agian in poup. if we enter some text and click search button i am showing ListView with searched data in Poup. the Listview contains one Radio Button at eash row. Now my request is if i select one radiobuton and click "OK"  the poup should close and display the selected row text in TextBox in my Page where the Linkbutton Presents. i can do it on my server side on "Okbutton_Click" . i wabnt to do this in Client side only with out PostBack.   Is ther...

Calling server-side code from client-side
Hi,  I´m implementing some shortcut functionality in my web forms and wanna know where i can find something that explains, for example, how to call the handler event "onclick" of a button. I´m using this library to add shortcuts to my controls: http://www.openjs.com/scripts/events/keyboard_shortcuts/   And I want to "link" some key combination for the event handlers of the controls. Does anybody knows?  Thanks. You could attach an AJAX event to the Javascript shortcut event handler so, for example, the shortcut function will trigger a button cl...

Client side to execute server side code
I am maintaining an ASP.NET C# application written by someone else.  I am essentially a newbie to web development especially client side stuff.  Based on reading these forums I understand that I can't directly call a server side method from the client side and I have to use post pack in some way (using a webservice is not an option here).  My confusion comes from the HTML setup being used.The page has three frames; a header, body and footer.  Each frame is filled by it's own ASPX page.  The footer contains buttons for navigating to another page and some of the b...

Execute the client side and server side code
Hi, Hi, I have two drop down lists one ddl1, ddl2. when ddl1 index is changed I have to change the label before the ddl1 and contents of ddl2. 1) to change the label before ddl2, I am using the javascript like this:ddl1.Attributes.Add("onchange", "changeLabelText(this); return false;"); Javascript function<script language="javascript"> function changeLabelText(ddl) { var indx = ddl.selectedIndex; var lbl = document.getElementById('<%= lblSelect.ClientID %>'); if(indx == 0) lbl.innerHTML = "Select A:"; if(indx == 1)lbl.i...

Is it possible to call client side function from server side code without initial client request?
Atlas is great. I'm using timer to periodically check database changes on server to populate client side controls with new data. Is it possible to do it without a lot of client requests to server which takes a huge useless network traffic? Server should call client side function on all connected clients when, for example, 'database updated' event occurs on server. Thanks. Hi~ Just for your interest, I think you could have a look at Comet, many web IM like Gmail's embeded Gtalk and meebo.com are built on this architecture你好! Just FYI o_O...

Quetion on server side vs client side coding
 hi all,           i have a quetion on server side vs client side coding and the quetion is : suppose that i have a page named A.aspx then will the all coding in A.aspx.cs (code behind file) will be server side?will it mean all the code executed in the server?and inline code file also will be executed in server as i found every control with runat="server" then where is the client side code and where we require client side coding. can you give me pls any example of client side code. thanks This is the place to learn ev...

Accessing Client side variable from server side code?
Hi,  I am trying to use vbscript to run a process on the client machine. Once that process finishes I want to use the resulting value in my server side code behind file. Does anyone know a way to do this? I know that I can set server side session objects to a client variable by doing something like this: <script language="vbscript" type="text/vbscript">  strSubject = <%=Session.Item("Subject") %> </script>  but I have no idea how to do that in reverse. Thanks!    Filed under: too much coffee.  LOL! ...

Problem call a server-side code from Client-side
Hi; I want to call a server-side code from client-Side at javascript function. must me use from Ajax or Http Requests in Javascript?   Thanks,mohsen  You'll have to make an AJAX call form your client side to acheive thisRegards,Muhammed Saleem P---------------------------------------------Please do not forget to click "Mark As Answer" on the posts that helped you.Happy Programming !!! I answered a question with sample code very similar to this one here: http://forums.asp.net/p/1358277/2799269.aspx#2799269 NC...  ...

Call client side function from server side code
My problem is that in some point of the VB.Net code I need to call a function defined in vbScript, for example: Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click   'There's some code here....   ' ...   If (SomeCondition) Then   'HERE'S WHERE I NEED TO CALL THE JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION... SO HOW CAN I DO THAT?   Else     '...   End If   ' ... End Sub The asp.net code runs to generate the html and when it is done the html is rendered in your browser. So you can't access cli...

Web resources about - client side code & server side code - asp.net.getting-started

MUD client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A MUD client is a computer application used to connect to a MUD , a type of multiplayer online game . Generally, a MUD client is a very basic ...

3Q Digital Offers Peek At 3Q Facebook Ad Performance By Its Largest Clients
With Facebook set to report its third-quarter earnings Wednesday , digital marketing agency 3Q Digital offered some insight on how the social ...

Gallop Labs hires former Facebook Client Partner as Director of Sales
Gallop Labs , a social marketing and analytics firm, announced that it has hired former Facebook Client Partner Andrew Peebles as the company’s ...

Lawyer labels client 'stupid' after New Year text to ex lands him behind bars for a week
Man's five days in prison for New Year text was significant &quot;wake-up call&quot;, lawyer says.

Canberra psychology clinic accidentally reveals clients' personal details in email
A Canberra psychology clinic has apologised after it accidentally shared personal details of hundreds of patients in a group email.

Never Complain To Clients Or Adversaries
Even trial lawyers that learn and have fun all the time deal with frustrations and have their gripes. But we should never share those gripes ...

Anchorage Assembly candidate drops out rather than reveal tutoring clients
... Anchorage Budget Advisory Commission, has withdrawn a bid for the Assembly because she did not want to list the names and addresses of clients ...

Spotlight On NW Creative: Fell Swoop And Its Unique Client Mix
After living in Seattle for a few years, it’s become clear to me that many shops here struggle to capture significant business from clients headquartered ...

New online FX broker group rails against client money laws
A group of online broking firms have launched a desperate bid to sway the government on its proposed client fund segregation laws.

SanDisk Announces X400 Client SSD for OEMs
... Like the X300, the X400 uses TLC NAND flash and relies on SLC-mode write caching to provide competitive write speeds. SanDisk OEM Client SSD ...