Can you have VS .net 2003 AND VS.net 2005 Beta 2 installed on same machine?

Right now I have Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 installed on my machine, but I also need to put on the Visual Studio 2003 Professional to work with some older projects. Can I installed the Visual Studio 2003 Professional on the same machine with out messing anything up?

asp

Yes you can have them side by side!

Also see http://blogs.msdn.com/robcaron/archive/2005/04/20/410224.aspx link of Robcorn, it also could helps you!

Sreedhar
http://www.w3coder.org
weblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti
0
SreedharK
8/3/2005 1:20:21 PM
great thanks, I am installing the 2003 version now on my machine that already has the 2005 Beta 2 installed.

couple questions though..

1.) When installed 2003, there were some prerequisties that it said I needed to install.  One of them being the Frontpage 2000 server extensions, why would I need these installed?  I don't use the server extensions.  And when installed the 2005 Beta 2, it never asked for Server extensions, so I am a bit confused what the use of these in 2003 is for and why I need them installed?

2.) Now that I have both 2003 running the .net 1.1 framework and then I also the 2005 running 2.0 framework, how do I tell IIS what version of the framework to use for my pages?  Like I have my sites set up in IIS using Virtual Directories, but I don't know how IIS knows what version of the framework to use to process my pages?  pretty much I don't want to be coding in 2003 and have the framework 2.0 interpreting my pages, this might confuse me if stuff starts not working... is there a way to have certain virtual directories use one version of the framework and other VD's use other versions of the framework?  so I can for instance, have one site coded in 2.0 using the new server controls and IIS will work with this, but then also have another site using the 1.1 framework and IIS knows to use 1.1 when processing these pages?

Thanks again for all the help!
0
asp
8/4/2005 3:57:02 PM
1) As VS2003 only goes with IIS we need to have front page extentions!
In case if you want help on configuring, you can get info from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=312073

2) On virtual directory level, you can enable framework isapis using ASPNET_REGIIS utility.

Let's say you want to use a directory for 1.1, then from the command prompt locate the framework 1.1 directory..usually it's @ <drive>\<window folder :Ex winnt>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 and from there by using ASPNET_REGIIS you can register only 1.1 estensitions

similarly if you want to do for 2.0, local 2.0 directory and find the ASPNET_REGIIS in 2.0 folder and from there register the need components.

Hope it helps!
Sreedhar
http://www.w3coder.org
weblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti
0
SreedharK
8/4/2005 4:52:11 PM

actually wait, I just went into IIS, right-clicked on my virtual directory, went to properties, then I have a tab called: "ASP.NET"

Go into that tab, then there is a drop down called "ASP.NET Version" and there I have two choices:
2.0.50215.0
or
1.1.4322.0

so can't I just choose whatever version I want there, hit apply and then that virtual directory will use that version of the .NET framework?  so therefore I wouldn't have to run any tool like you described above?

will this work?  or do you still need to run that tool?

0
asp
8/4/2005 5:11:22 PM
Some how I forgot about ASPNET tab. Yes..you can use that also!!!
Sreedhar
http://www.w3coder.org
weblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti
0
SreedharK
8/5/2005 1:18:24 PM
Well, if you can see it, that is (i have vs 2005 beta installed on 2 pcs: on one, i'm able to see the tab; however, on the other i can't see it).
--
Regards,
Luis Abreu

Also check http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/leon/archive/2005/05/22/87658.aspx he has give more details on it!

Hope it helps!

Sreedhar
http://www.w3coder.org
weblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti
0
SreedharK
8/5/2005 1:45:21 PM
Thank you guys, lots of important
information is on thread. I am new to this 2005 and 2003 setting up on
one machine. My question may sound dumb to you guys but please help in
following question.

I have VS 2003 installed. I want to try VS 2005 on same machine. Everbody keeps mentioning ASP.NET tab in virtual directory but I can't see in my virtual directories right now. So my question is does "ASP.NET" tab appear after i install VS 2005 ? If not, please suggest configuration settings which would require to configure both version of framework on same machine.

My Environment: Windows XP SP2, IIS 6, VS 2003, NET1.1

Thanks guys.
Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank

http://www.softtech3p.com - Softtech Solutions, Toronto

while ( result != sucess )
result = Try() ;
0
priyankpatel3003
8/14/2005 4:02:31 AM
Hello again.
well, you're supposed to see it (though in my case, as i said previously, i'm only able to see in one of the machines that has both installed). if you hae the same problem, you can follow the previous link (which i'm putting here again):
http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/leon/archive/2005/05/22/87658.aspx

--
Regards,
Luis Abreu
email: labreu_at_gmail.com
EN blog:http://msmvps.com/blogs/luisabreu
0
Luis
8/14/2005 3:30:23 PM
Thanks Luis. While waiting for reply, i re-installed Net framework 2.0
and after that i am able to see ASP.NET tab in IIS 6.0. I am continuing
to install Visual Studio 2005. I am getting one problem with BIT
Service. Background Intelligent Transfer services doesn't start on my
machine. I have tried to follow troubleshooting tips given in VS 2005
but it doesn't help. I have tried the following things.

I have tried to get the latest version. But it was latest comes with SP2.
I have downloaded BIT admin tool and running it to fix registery key problem. But it doesn't start the service not fixes it.

Nothing works. It is frustrating. I know this is probably is not a right place for this topic in this thread. But since i got your attention. please help me.

Thanks.

Thanks,
Priyank

http://www.softtech3p.com - Softtech Solutions, Toronto

while ( result != sucess )
result = Try() ;
0
priyankpatel3003

Can I install Visual Basic 6 on my machine which has VS.NET 2003 & VS.NET 2005?
I may have a need to use Visual Basic 6 for a legacy project in the near future.  I was wondering if I can install VB6 on my machine which already has VS.NET 2003 & VS.NET 2005 installed on it? I did not know if doing so would cause issues or not so thought I would ask before just leaping and doing.   Ira Richard Smith At one time i had to install Visual Basic 6 on my machine with VS.NET 2003 and had "NO" issues. I would suggest take a backup of your machine or a restore point before you proceed. Please post your experience. I am sure some one would appreci...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

Is it possible to install vs.net 2003 ans vs.net 2005 on the same machine ?
hello, All:             I am use the vs.net 2003 on my computer ,now I want to install vs.net 2005 on  the same machine .             is it possible to do it ?  when I install vs.net 2005 finish,anything special need to be config ?   thanks in advanced!   Yes you can install both.  You will need the 2.o/3.0 version of the framework for 2005, and if you run 1.1 and 2.0+ apps on IIS you'll need to set up sepaarte application pools (IIS6). JeffP...

VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 on same machine
I've seen some postings indicating that you can have VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 side by side on the same machine.  I've also seen some comments that if doing this there is something that gets messed up, but I can't locate what it is and what the solution might be. Can someone shed some light on this for me regarding what might get messed up and where I can find the fixes to it? Thanks, Ira  Ira Richard Smith I have this set up. no prob at all.-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com Same here along with VS.Net 2002 & VS 6.0 I'm running 2003 and 2005 on wi...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

both VS .NET 2003 AND VS .NET 2005 ARE INSTALLED SAME COMPUTER. IT IS POSSABLE
Edited by moderator XIII: please use a normal font size: Hi I have my computer Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Framwork 1.1 and all propram are runing VS .NET 2003 . I want to load my computer VS .NET 2005 and Framwork 2.0. I am not Interest to uninstalled VS .NET 2003 AND Framwork 1.1. I want both VS .NET 2003 AND VS .NET 2005 ARE INSTALLED SAME COMPUTER. IT IS POSSABLE . PLEASE HELP ME. IF ANY PROBLEM ARE THER IF VS ..NET 2003 AND 2005 ARE SAME COMPUTER. Please help me. Saikat Hi, I have both the frameworks and IDE's installed on my dev laptop without any problems. However if you wish t...

Installing VS 2005 on a machine with VS .Net 2003 installed
I looked in the readme file of the VS 2005 setup for information regarding this issue, but I could not find anything besides some warnings about the previous beta versions of VS 2005. Is there anything I should take into account before installing it? Do I have to uninstall the previous version, or is it automatically updated? Check out this MSDN topic:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246609(VS.80).aspx Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

VS.NET 2003 to VS.Net 2005
Hi   I just converetd my VS.Net 2003 project to VS.NET 2005 using the convert wizard in Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project. It compiled with no build errors and a few warnings. When Iam trying to view the project, then it gives me 404 error. Can someone help ? Thanks Could you confirm you are using WAP (Web Application Projects) versus the built-in WSP (Web Site model)? If you have a project file after converting, then you are using WAP. Could you post the actual 404 error you got? Also, did you set your start page in the converted project?  -Mike-...

Can I install and use my VS.NET 2002 MSDN Help in VS.NET 2003?
Hi! I would like to know if I could install MSDN help from VS.NET 2002 (Architect) for VS.NET 2003 (Architect). Thanks! :)...

Migration VS.Net 2003 to VS.Net 2005
I want to migrate to framework 2.0.Questions :1) Can i use Vs.Net 2005 and framework 2.0 with Sql Server 2000 ? or must i migrate too 2005 2) I read in some forums there is some problem to migrate vs.net 2003 solutions/project to 2005, It's right ?3) Is it necessery to modify a lot of c# code (deprecate, ...) ?4) Can i work both Vs.Net2003 framework 1.1 ans Vs.net 2005 framework 2.0 on the same development machine ?Thanks. Patrick Ducret Hi, 1) Yes you can. You can use SQL2000 from .NET 2.0 as you did from .NET 1.x. SQL2005 just has some additional features to offer. 2) It can be if...

VS.NET 2005 to VS.NET 2003 converter
All -- Please help. I need a VS.NET 2005 to VS.NET 2003 converter. OOPs. (It is a long story.) Anyway... Does such a thing exist? Do you have any hints? (The VS.NET 2005 code is simple and does use much of the new stuff.) Please advise. Thank you. --Mark Kamoski  http://www.NetBrainer.com...

VS.net 2003 and VS.net Whidbey on same machine
Is it possible to install (and run) Visual Studio Whidbey on a computer where Visual Studio .net 2003 (and .net Framework 1.1) is currently installed? Or smashes it my Visual Studio 2003 installation? Yes, this is possible. I am doing it on two machines at the present time.JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]Old Dog Learns New TricksPreferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets I also do that, and do not have noticed any problems, but I have heard that other developers have some problems with running the CTP with VS.Net 2003. /Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MV...

VS.Net 2003 Conversion to VS.Net 2005 issues
I've recently installed and started using VS.Net 2005 and have converted a web service solution to .Net 2.0 which works fine. I have an ASP.Net application [still .Net 1.1] that consumed this web service and now I cannot get it to work. Previously this was referencing the binary created for the web service but obviously this binary is no longer created. I have changed this reference to a web reference and now use the WSDL files i've generated from the web service but I get the following error.// Error DetailsException Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with the error m...

Converting project from VS:Net 2003 to Vs.Net 2005
Hi there,can anyone help with converting a project from Vs.NET 2003 to vs.net 2005. Its not the internal workings that are a problem but the organization...I understand that under mydocuments\visual Studio 2005\  there are 2 directories (amongst others)1 is projects1 is websitesin projects these store the sln file and all the code for a gui app for examplefor websites in projects is just the sln which points to the websites directory where all the code is for a website i.e. under \mydocs\visual studio 2005\websitesam i right?So in simple terms, what is the best way of importing my vs.ne...

Web resources about - Can you have VS .net 2003 AND VS.net 2005 Beta 2 installed on same machine? - asp.net.getting-started

Pre-installed software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bundled software is another name for pre-installed software, as pre-installed are all bundled with a hardware device of some kind. However, bundled ...

REPORT: Facebook Home Can Be Installed On All Android Devices Running 4.0 And Up
The good news: Facebook Home can now be run on all Android devices running version 4.0 of the mobile operating system or higher, even if they ...

CPU fan installed - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Garrette's photos on Flickr. Garrette has uploaded 3652 photos to Flickr.

Gay-friendly traffic lights installed in Vienna - YouTube
Keep up-to-date with the latest news, subscribe here: http://bit.ly/AFP-subscribe Several pedestrian crossings in Vienna are showing symbols ...

Brisbane's new public art installed
From a distance, it looks like Commissioner Gordon's Bat-signal.

Cameras installed on hull of ISS (00:59)

Where in the US is solar installed?

'Spyware' installed on rental laptops