C++.Net vs C#

Hi there,

I am going to write a Windows desktop image/document processing application (Windows Form), which will be processing and I/O intensive. I was told that C++.Net will be much faster than C#. Also, in Visual Studio 2008, C++.Net can be compiled to Windows native code!

I'd like to hear some of your great inputs on this.

Thanks,

Alan

0
AlanShiHong45040

I don't have a tremendous amount of input on this except to say that you should do a lot of research before you make a decision.  I was under the impression however that since C++ compiles to IL just like C#, any speed gains would be very marginal.  For a trully intense image processing application you might want to write the more intensive parts of it in  a functional langauge (I've been loving F# lately), and test and maintain those parts as seperate libraries.  Check out what the guys at Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/) did, I believe it's mostly in C#.
0
togakangaroo
4/21/2008 7:03:48 PM

native code is not that good u should compile for each platform

u can't use C++ for the Web , Silverlight and WPF

C++ is faster but C# has proven that it is fast too

also u can use them both  Smile

if this post unswerd ur question marke it as answer
0
yassir
4/21/2008 7:13:01 PM

C++ might give you better performance for the image processing part of your app, so you might consider writing that part of your code in a C++ library.

For the rest of your app, however, C# would likely be a much wiser decision due to simpler (and therefore quicker) development.

I hope this helps,

Steve C. Orr,

http://SteveOrr.net
0
Steve
4/21/2008 7:52:43 PM

Thanks for the feed back. But is it true that VS 2008 can compile it to native code? I could not find that kind of information any where.

0
AlanShiHong45040
4/21/2008 9:02:47 PM

AlanShiHong45040:

Thanks for the feed back. But is it true that VS 2008 can compile it to native code? I could not find that kind of information any where.

i m not sure but i think it maybe possible Whatever why do u want compile to native code ?

if this post unswerd ur question marke it as answer
0
yassir
4/21/2008 10:48:21 PM
Obviously, the native binary code (Win32 machine code as being created from non .Net C++ like MFC) is faster, since it won't need JIT and .Net runtime. But according to one of my friends, the native code may not be possible because my code has to call .Net class libraries.
0
AlanShiHong45040
4/22/2008 3:41:48 PM
AlanShiHong45040 wrote:

> Obviously, the native binary code (Win32 machine code as being created from non .Net C++ like MFC) is faster, since it won't need JIT and .Net runtime. But according to one of my friends, the native code may not be possible because my code has to call .Net class libraries.

Have you looked at /CLI or /CLR or whatever it's called in this release?
--
BobF
0

For .net i think C# is better i know people who have been using unmanaged C++ and shifted to .net they did not like the managed C++

if this post unswerd ur question marke it as answer
0
yassir

C#.NET in VS.NET vs. C# in Web Matrix
Hi all, I am very new to .NET ... I realized C#.NET is only available from Visual Studio.NET ... however, I realized Web Matrix also allowed us to choose C# as language but not C#.NET ... they are not the same, right? If not, then why it's in Web Matrix which runs ASP.NET?? If I need to run C#.Net, I MUST GET VS.NET, right? Can C#.NET has the abality to create chat program? Thank you very much. C#.NET and C# are the same thing. JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]Old Dog Learns New TricksPreferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets So ... that means I can use web matrix t...

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

True OOPS c#.net vs vb.net
Hi, Can i get the comparison between c#.net vs vb.net on the basis of supported object oriented feature. Which one supports more features of OOPS. They both support the same features since they are both based off the same IL code.  You will see no difference between the two.  Hope this helps.P.S.  By using the term "C#.NET" is a dead give away that you are new to the language.  Because C#.NET is a redundant term since C# is only available for the .NET Framework. View My Blog Download My URL Rewriter and Reverse ProxyOnly $9.95/month, ASP.NET, 2GB & SQL 2005 ...

Visual C#.Net vs Visual Studio.Net
I have read in other posts a lot of people recommending Visual Studio.Net over the Web Matrix. My query is: why is there a £700 difference between VS.Net and Visual C#.Net? As a c# developer, I won't need any VB functionality. I also don't require Visual Source Safe, as projects are generally small and manageable. What features are lacking in Visual c#.net that justifies the price difference? Does it have Intellisense / Dubuggers / Compilers? These are the features that would make me pay for it instead of continuing with WM, but I need to know if tehre is serious functionality missin...

VB.NET vs. C#.NET Behavior of Visual Studio
I'm transitioning from coding in VB to coding in C#. Maybe I have something set wrong, but a behavioral difference is driving me bananas. When I edit a VB source file, the two drop-downs at the top of the edit view are Class Name and Method Name, and it makes it easy to add a new event handler for any of the controls on the page. Choose which one on the left, pick your event on the right, and VS inserts an empty, properly formatted subroutine. In C# mode, however, those two drop-downs are labeled Types and Members, and there doesn't appear to be a way to tell it to create the empty framew...

[Hot Discussion] VB.NET vs. C#.NET by performance
Which one have the much better performance? Which one is the best?Parco LeeOwner + Webmaster + System Engineer + Professional ProgrammerSoftDweller Lab (a software laboratory)http://www.softdweller.comA professional laboratory for new technology softwares developing by .NET.http://www.nowlover.com Hmmm, the discussion doesn't appear very hot. By the way, the answer is its all personal taste, give or take a few things that aren't important.Thanks, Paul Wilson, ASPInsider, MC**For the best .NET code, examples, and tools, visit:WilsonDotNet.com, WilsonWebPortal.com, ORMapper.net I'...

vb .net or c# .net

Vp.Net or C#.net
Has anyone Created a site with Vb.net or C# can be seen on Internet . i'd like to learn one of them !? which one would you suggest? With one is better Vb.net or C# ? thanks Ali Darabian Ah... another person joins the great debate... what about J#? ;) It's a personal choice... depends on your background, on where you are working, etc. My choice is C#.Jason Wyckoff This is the way I look at them: VB.Net and C# are the same thing!?! <=> Have I just sad same???? No they are not same, but... there's again someting.... Do you see the point now. Both are ...

C#.NET or VB.NET

VB.Net To C#.Net

Web resources about - C++.Net vs C# - asp.net.getting-started

Visual C++ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Due to technical restrictions , "Visual C#" redirects here. For that software product, see Microsoft Visual C Sharp . Microsoft Visual C++ (often ...

Facebook Open-Sources Warp Preprocessor For C, C++
The Facebook open-sourcing train continued to roll on with Friday’s announcement that Warp , a preprocessor for the C and C++ languages, has ...

Dr. Dobb's - Good stuff for serious developers: Programming Tools, Code, C++, Java, HTML5, Cloud, Mobile ...
... articles, source code, blogs,forums,video tutorials, and audio podcasts, as well as articles from Dr. Dobb's Journal, BYTE.com, C/C++ Users ...

C - Skills - LinkedIn
See top C professionals, groups, and related job openings.

bind - Fixed point combinators in C++ - Stack Overflow
#include #include #include // Y-combinator compatible factorialint fact(boost::function f,int v){ if(v == 0) return 1; else return v * f(v -1);}// ...

Learning C++ HD on the App Store on iTunes
Get Learning C++ HD on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Apple popularity boosts Objective-C language past C++ - Mobile Development, mobile technology, iPhone ...
Tiobe's language usage index now has the Objective-C language used for building iPad and iPhone apps taking third place, knocking C++ to fourth ...

C++ Front Office Trading Software Engineer - Trading exposure
CFOworld.com.au covers accounting, risk management, taxation, technology and financial news from ASX-listed companies.

Mastering Object Oriented Design in C++

Khronos Announces OpenCL 2.1: C++ Comes to OpenCL
... more significant about OpenCL 2.1 is that after several years of proposals and development, OpenCL is now gaining support for an official C++ ...