Building my Own Forum in Visual Studio 2005 with SQL Server 2005 Database Foundations

Hi all hope everyone is ok...

Right i am about to embark on a challange greater than i have ever attempted in the past, i'm going to attempt to design build and hopeflly successfully create my own Forum. I was kind of hoping that there would be some help doing this in VB.net out there, but there isn't, and so i am asking if anyone has any suggestions, hints/tips or help they think i might find usefull, before i start getting to far into this project..

Thanks for your time and effort, look forward to hearing from you all... Smile

Regards

CDG

0
CDG

What do you mean there isn't any help for doing this available?  Full source of plenty of forum examples exist, including the Starter Kits and the code for the forum you posted this in.  While I wonder why anyone would code their own forum app with all the free open source ones out there, I really wonder about someone who doesn't look at existing code.

Jeff

jeff
11/2/2006 5:01:21 PM

Hi Jeff,

 I've spent many hours reading and searching, i found plenty of php based applications, not so many VB.net, you say the source for this forum is available, any pointers in the right direction would be great..

Maybe i've been searching blind.. probably with the work load at the moment.. I have seen the starter kits, not quite to the scale iu had in mind...

Thanks again

 CDG

0
CDG
11/6/2006 5:51:04 PM

CDG,

 There are quite a few .NET-based forums out there. To name a few:

http://forum.itcn.com/ (VB.NET)
http://www.yetanotherforum.net/ (C#)
http://www.popforums.com/ (C#)

Some more here (some free, some not): http://www.411asp.net/home/webapps/forum

Shane Bauer
MCP - ASP.NET

0
shanebauer

i am getting problem when i am connecting to database sql server 2005 from visual studio 2005
 the error is "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"mine is a windows authentication server.  Hi v_badhra,see this article:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;914277 Samu ZhangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the pos...

AxCMS.net Award 2005 | 1st place: MSDN Professional subscription including Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005; 2nd place: new Xbox 360
We would like to introduce the 100% cost free AxCMS.net 5.2.2 - brand new release! AxCMS.net is a 100% cost free Enterprise CMS platform for architects and professional developers based 100% on Microsoft .NET. With the new download version we offer ... Improved user interface (thank you for feedback!) International support avaliable! New features (muitisite, permissions, authentication, newsletter, ...) Focused on software architects and professional developers Introducing AxCMS.net Award 2005! The AxCMS.net Award 2005 represent an opportunity ...

Sql Server 2005 Reporting Service + Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hi, Iam new 2 sql server 2005 reporting services, I created a report server project with few reports and deployed in reportserver. Everything is working fine but i want to integrate these reports to my VS.net 2005 web appliction. Through the interface i have to pass the perameters to my reports. Iam looking for help thxs in advance PradeepPradeep Reddy Take a look over here for a working example : http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/ReportViewer.asp   HTH,Suprotim Agarwal -----http://www.dotnetcurry.com-----ASP.NET Grid With Excel Capabilities | 27 GridView Tips & Tricks |...

SQL Server 2005 express connectivity with Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hello I'm having a problem with the server connection and my C# code. The code executes alright but no data is entered into the database behind it.  I'm pasting the connection code over here as well. The sql commands are used in the code. I think I used the sql server mobile edition which is installed along with visual studio.net 2005. Anyone know what's wrong, and can help me out? Thanks in advance.public static void storeInDb(string trackName, string artist, string albumTitle, string year, string path, uint[] fp) { string connStr="Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;At...

Visual Studio 2005, SQL Server 2005 Database, aspnetdb
I have just created the ASPNETDB database with the aspnet_regsql.exe utility in the Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework\v2.0.50727. I can see the database in SQL Server Management Studio. The database itself has a user XXXXXX\ASPNET. It has "CONNECT SQL" and "VIEW ANY DATABASE" Effective permissions. When I add permissions to the ASPNETDB, I am have 13 ASPNET Database Role objects that can be added to the permission list. Can anyone give me guidance as to what permissions need to be granted to what Database Role / User? Presently the Web Site Administration Tool is unable to...

Installing .NET Framework, Sql Server 2005 Express, and Visual Studio 2005 Professional
Will someone please offer some advice, a walkthrough, or something to help me through this?  I installed all three of these pieces (.NET, SQL Server 2005 Express, and VS 2005 Professional) onto a WinXP box.  I was unable to get it to work.  It kept throwing SQL errors when I tried to run the security setup for the Personal Website Starter Kit.  So, I uninstalled everything except .NET and reinstalled.  At this point I was able to get to the setup, but unable to add users.  It doesn't throw errors or anything, it just doesn't do anything.  I really re...

Newbie to Visual Studio 2005
Is there a way to save only the date and not the time with it in an SQL Server 2005 database?  I have a page that allows the user to enter their birth date and save it in our database.  The problem is if the user enters 08/08/1980 the information is saved as "08/08/1980 12:00:00 AM".  The data type for the field is smalldatetime.  Is there anyway to save just the date?  I didn't have a problem with this using Visual Basic 6.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  My code is as follows: 1 Dim dbConnection As New SqlConnection()2 D...

Visual Studio 2005 / SQL Server Management Studio 2005 Source Control?
I just want a simple software change management tool for these two tools... Team Foundation Server is too big for me...  What should I do? Hi,at the moment we still use Visual Source Safe untill VSTS ships as a RTM version. But there are other systems availble too. I heard some people that they were using CVS but I don't have any experience with it.Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons....

SQL Server 2005
I'm very confused.  I installed Visual Studio 2005 and thought I understood that SQL Server 2005 came with it, but it appears that it's SQL Server 2005 - Express.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to get Data Transformation Services loaded or the equivalent of DTS in SQL Express?     beejay I have to say: actually SQL Express, not SQL2005 full version, comes with VS2005. To manage your SQL Express databases much easier, you can download a Management Studio Express from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/ Then you can...

Visual studio 2005 and SQL server 2005
Hi all, I have the Visual studio 2005 and the SQL server 2005 witch come with the installation CD. Is the SQL server is only for development or it can be used for production. I want to develope an ASP.NET website working with the SQL server database. Best regards......

Visual Studio 2005, SQL Server 2005
Hello I have a TreeView, when I click for eg. node Introduction, i want show in the COntentPlaceholder whole text. like 3 pages..how can i store it in SQL SERVER? How can i do that? I want to keep whole text + pictures in the Sql Server 2005. How can I do that? and there is a tip of putting whole in html file, and the Sql server 2005 go and get from page and display on the ContentPlaceHolder, its like working in dynamicHTML.   If any1 got any example or stuffs, please send to me Thanks     If you want to store text and image seperately in SQL Server, you need to ...

Web resources about - Building my Own Forum in Visual Studio 2005 with SQL Server 2005 Database Foundations - asp.net.getting-started

Ford Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The foundation sold off its Ford holdings and now plays no role in the automobile company. For years, it was the largest and one of the two or ...

Fresh controversy at Shane Warne Foundation as chief prepares to leave
The Shane Warne Foundation is embroiled in a fresh controversy amid allegations its chief executive officer is resigning over concerns the promised ...

How an Indigenous treaty would build a better foundation for Australia
Australia does not recognise the sovereignty of its first nations by way of a treaty, and the effects have been devastating.

Video: Tim Cook (and Siri) support the Cerebral Palsy foundation ‘Just Say Hi’ campaign
Apple CEO Tim Cook is continuing his public support for equality with a video raising awareness for the Cerebral Palsy foundation . The campaign ...

The Linux Foundation will participate in 'Hour of Code'
... as a "one-hour introduction to computer science, designed to demystify code and show that anybody can learn the basics". Today, The Linux Foundation ...

Flying Lotus playing shows, including David Lynch Foundation benefit at MHOW w/ Jon Hopkins
photo: Flying Lotus at Lollapalooza 2015 (more by James Richards IV) Flying Lotus didn't release an album in 2015, but he was still a wildly ...

The latest IoT network, 'Starfish,' builds on a power-grid foundation
New networks being built with far less fanfare than cell towers will connect objects that in some cases have never been linked before, like street ...

Siri teams with Cerebral Palsy Foundation to teach you to ‘just say hi’
Siri is loaded with fun Easter eggs. However, its latest addition — created in collaboration with the Cerebral Palsy Foundation — isn’t flippant ...

For A $5,000 Contribution To The Clinton Foundation, You Can Get A Holiday Ornament
For A $5,000 Contribution To The Clinton Foundation, You Can Get A Holiday Ornament

Fusion Partners With National Hispanic Arts Foundation On Film Scholarship Challenge
Fusion is teaming with the National Hispanic Foundation of the Arts to launch a film scholarship challenge for young multicultural filmmakers ...