building a forum question with .net

Im in the process of building a customized forum in .net

I know C# well enough to do this (coding isn't really the issue Im having, its the logic that makes the forum run)
My question is.
For each topic thread in the forum, what would be the best way to return to a variable the number of replies?
Like would I have to create a small function that goes in and "Select *" from the reply table where topicID = a certain ID (topicID is the unique ID from the topic thread it corrosponds with). so after writing that function, would I simply loop through all the topic thread in the dataset and run my small function? (function name would be something like...
public long replycount(long topicID) )
that wouldn't be an overkill would it? if you have a better method, could you tell me how you would do it?
also, how can I set it up where for each account, each user can see what threads they been to and which ones they haven't and if there are new replys to a thread it will glow as it they haven't visited it yet. (something like the regular forums around the internet)
Thanks for any help you can give me,
Cedric
0
cis4life

You do know that the forum you posted this in (the ASP.net forum) is available for download - - right ????

you don't need to re-create the wheel.
David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!
augustwind
4/26/2004 5:05:30 PM
well,

This particular project is a going to be a very customized fourm. A stock forum wont work. I really only need to know what method was used to count how many replys each topic thread has. Wheither it was a variable in the database with the thread or did a small function go thru and count the reply for each topic?
also some insight how you can each account can tell what threads they visited/ haven't visited or need to revisit would be extremely helpfull.
Im not looking for the code, I can do that, I just looking at the best approach to this.
Thanks,
Cedric
0
cis4life

Newbie Question
I have a new project which has just started. One of the requirements is to generate XML files. Do I have to create schema files? Does anyone have a tutorial or sample code to help me get started. I have some background using XML, but not in .NET. Thx Mark How to create a new xml file with XmlDocument? More examples hereSonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum Thanks, this is very helpful. What do I need to do extra to setup the schema for this xml file? Is the schema really necessary as well? Thx Mark You dont need to define any sc...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

how to get start with .NET

Getting Start With .net

I am not getting my mail open on my net as net is running
Name: Email: rmbala91atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I am not getting my mail open on my net as net is running Comments: My mail is not getting opening. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

How to get RS (From VB6) to .NET (VB.NET)
Hi Friends,         I have requirement, there is one function in VB6 it returns a RS, I need to call that function in  VB.NET, how to get those values into .NET, if can any body can help (pass me some code snippets), that will be greate, Thank you.Madhu... -Madhu hey guys i got this one just by using fill method.-Madhu...

.net newbie building a forum
How do I use the avatars and the emoticons in the posts. Also, is the transform.txt file correct as is? found it.... its http://asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=29509 ...

.Net Application generators
There are a few .Net complete n-tier application generators that generate directly from your database. Some even have their own database building tools. They are great and easy to follow and their applications generate real VB.Net and C# code, easy to learn. These are great starts for .Net stuff except for one thing, PRICE. Iron Speed is about $1500 and for the same exact product features ASPNetNow sells for only $279 for their Web Matrix version or $530 for VS version. Another company Avalanche sells for $995. Amazing price ranges. The first two match feature for feature except the first yo...

.NET to COM question ( Dictionary in COM and .NET dictionary)
 I need to write a data access code to replace the method of GetPerson() in COM data access, since the existing method is too slow. .NET can reduce the database round trips by using the dataset. The existing COM data access will stay except the GetPerson() method. So I am going to call the .NET getPerson() mehtod from the COM,  The original GetPerson() method in COM just go to data base, pull data from 7 tables and write to dictionary.  If the .NET getPerson() can populate the COM Dictionary, that would be great! I know .NET object can be directly assign t...

Getting started with JScript.NET

Web resources about - building a forum question with .net - asp.net.getting-started

Berlaymont building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...  / 50.84361; 4.38278 Coordinates : 50°50′37″N 4°22′58″E  /  50.84361°N 4.38278°E  / 50.84361; 4.38278 The Berlaymont is an office building ...

Building boom prompts calls to overhaul Sydney's Cahill expressway
The company behind one of the biggest redevelopments in the city's building boom has called on the state government to rethink its overhaul of ...

South China Sea: Beijing says it won't stop building on artificial islands
China said on Sunday it will continue to build military and civilian facilities on its artificial islands in the disputed South China Sea and ...

Girl, 5, stabbed multiple times outside apartment building in Ballarat; man arrested
... girl is in a critical condition after being stabbed multiple times in Ballarat. Police said the girl was stabbed outside an apartment building ...

2 Killed in Attack on RT News Bureau Building in Tel Aviv
... news network, reports its staffers are unhurt–but barricaded in their offices–after two people were killed and a third injured in the building ...

Video Of The Week: Building Global Companies Quickly
Bloomberg’s Emily Chang did a great interview with Reid Hoffman earlier this week. I first caught some of it on Bloomberg’s TV channel. I cannot ...

Tricks for building a Wi-Fi network that covers your entire house
We all love Wi-Fi, but Wi-Fi routers can also be one of the most annoying pieces of technology in your home if not set up correctly. There are ...

Airbnb's CEO wasted four months building a roommate-finding service before realizing it had already been ...
... it like a hotel just yet. “We didn’t have this flash of inspiration that Air bed and breakfast was going to be huge. In fact we started building ...

Five Injured In Fire At John Hancock Building
The Chicago Fire Department says a fire in the John Hancock Building Saturday afternoon is now under control and one person has been transported ...

1 injured in fire at Hancock building
Chicago Tribune 1 injured in fire at Hancock building Chicago Tribune A view of the John Hancock Center on Nov. 21, 2015 after reports a fire ...