aspx form works in Visual Studio web server but not on my main IIS web server.

Hi all,

 I have a simple form that works fine in the VS local web server but when I copy the files (index.aspx, index.aspx.vb, web.config) to my IIS server I can see the form but when I click the hyperlink the form doesn't work. It is as if the .aspx can't execute the .aspx.vb page.

Any ideas why this would be?

This is my first asp.net project so I am a complete novice here. Thanks.

 My aspx code:

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="login.aspx.vb" Inherits="Default2" %>

<head runat="server">
</head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">

        <asp:TextBox ID="txtUserName" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>

        <asp:LinkButton ID="LnkNext" runat="server">Next</asp:LinkButton>     'When I click the link here the box below txtaddress is made visible only the link doesn't work on IIS!

        <asp:TextBox ID="txtaddress" runat="server" Visible="False"></asp:TextBox>
        <asp:Button ID="btnSubmit" runat="server" Text="Login" Visible="False" />

    </form>

0
swd2002

Hey,

Does the web server have the right .NET framework installed?  Also, does IIS have it setup to use the correct .NET framework version (a new feature with ASP.NET 2.0; right-click your virtual, select properties, and there is an ASP.NET tab).

Brian

"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).
0
bmains
7/5/2007 4:47:12 PM
Post the index.aspx.vb code too.
MCTS in ASP.NET
0
jonathanparker
7/5/2007 4:56:06 PM

Are you using .NET 1.x or 2.0?  It appears that you are using .NET 1.x.  If this is the case then the reason it work locally is because when you start the project with Visual Studio by pressing F5 it first builds the application.  The build process compiles all of your .vb files (code behind files) into a .dll file that resides in the bin folder of the virtual directory.  You can use copy & paste deployment but you must remember to copy the bin directory too.

 .NET 2.0 on the other hand has a feature called dynamic compilation.  This allows you to copy the source files (.aspx & .vb) to the virtual directory and then simply browse to it but you can't do that in .NET 1.x.

 I hope this helps!

Al

0
alraiani

 Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn't compiling the program so I had no dll. I've discovered 'Publish Web Site' from the build menu. I can't believe I haven't seen that before!

Unfortunatley the site still doesn't work from domain connected PCs but it does work in IE on the web server using the same URL. This looks like permissions, any ideas what this maybe?

I am using .Net 2.0 VS 2005 and I have the IIS site setup to use .Net 2.0, .Net 1.1 is disabled on the IIS server.

Many thanks.

0
swd2002
7/6/2007 8:03:15 AM
what is the actual error you are getting? Have you set up a virtual directory for the webapp folder your source files reside in?
Rgds
Dave!
0
dcallan

Unable to start debugging on the web server. The debugger is not registered on the web server computer. Visual Studio or the full remote debugger components must be installed on the web server!
Can somebody help me with this error message i get this when i want to debug my web application. I looked on the web many sites are talking about it but no one gives a good explanation for it. I use VS 2005, My OS is Windows XP professional 64 bits(Maybe this is the cause!) And the web prject is a Shop online. Thanks for your help!!  I think you should register IIS with Framework 2.0; How? run the below command on Command Prompt. C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i Hope it will work. Regards,  Ather Ali ShaikhSr. System AnalystGASCO Abu Dhabi,...

SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio Web server vs IIS 5 / 6: logging into SQL Server
If you are writing code that involves, for example, ADO.NET transactions, be aware:1) If you are using Visual Studio 2005's internal server, this uses the Windows account of the logged in user to access SQL Server 2005. Therefore your permission settings, for example denying an insert or update, will be ignored.2) If you are using IIS 5 or 6 as your Web server, the ASPNET (IIS 5) / NETWORK SERVICE (IIS 6) account is used and so your permission settings will be acted upon.Find out the Windows account being used by running SQL Profiler when debugging.Hope this helps. ...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

unable to start debugging on the web server. the web server did not respond in a timely manner. this may be because another debugger is already attached to the web server.
When i start debugging, it looks like it's going to work and the VS toolbars change to show the debugging toolbar options. However the cursor changes to the "busy" cursor and vista 'ghosts out' VS 2008 indicates that it's "not responding" in the title bar. The web browser never starts up and if you I it several minutes I get the following error: "Unable to start debugging on the web server. The web server did not respond in a timely manner. This may be because another debugger is already attached to the web server." HOWEVER, if you then im...

Using web matrix web server with Visual Studio .NET 2003
Hello all, I am a computer system technology student and my college is a part of the MSDN Academic alliance, so I managed to recieve an educational copy of Visual Studio.NET 2003. Seeing as I am on a work term and actually have free time at night... I have decided to punish myself and learn another technology. My problem is that I am running it on a Windows XP Home edition system at home, so I cannot run IIS. I do have the professional CD, also from MSDN acdemic alliance, but, 1) I may someday use my XP Home to produce comercial solutions in HTML, PHP, JSP or other (though I'll pr...

Error When Debugging (Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewa
Hi, When im going to run asp.net website its giving this error. Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewall.  please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Pubudu  If you are running your site off of a different machine than you are developing on, you need to install and configure the Visual Studio Remote Debugger on that machine. try to change the address from http://localhost to http://yourIP...   i hope it's worked...mak...

will web matrix server work with visual studio.net 2003?
This might sound like a strange request but i have web matrix installed on XP home. I want to install visual studio.net for developing instead of web matrix (because of code-behind and intellisense). Can i use the web matrix server to run the visual studio apps that i make? I cant use IIS on xp home can i? Thanks in advance No you can't use IIS on XP home, and I don't believe it works with web matrix server. VS2005 will have it's own local web server, similar to web matrix. BrianBrian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in ...

Access local server(LAN Server) from Web Server(Web Application Server)
Hello All I have a local server for my LAN and a Web server(at remote location).Is it possible to access my Local Server from my Web Server ? Thanks MS  ...

Application crashes IIS while works fine on Visual Studio built-in web server
Hi All I have an application (pretty simple, reads data from table and displays it). It runs well on one development machine, when trying to launch it on another getting the error in Windows event log: Faulting application aspnet_wp.exe, version 2.0.50727.1433, stamp 471ebf4c, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.3119, stamp 46239bd5 Both machines are XP, IIS 6.0, ASP.NET 2.0. If I run it on Visual Studio built-in web server it works just fine which makes me think it is not the code and issue is in IIS configuration. I tried to debug while running on IIS - it crushes before it e...

Is there any possible way that forms authentication can work on a web farm w/o each servers machine key values being set to the same thing?i have a site that is on a web farm and the servers dont have
 Is there any possible way that forms authentication can work on a web farm w/o each servers machine key values being set to the same thing?i have a site that is on a web farm and the servers dont have the machine keys set......but the forms authentication works fine. "Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live" -D. Thompson // f bush. ----------- "No man succeeds without a good woman behind him. Wife or mother, if it is both, he is twice blessed indeed." -Harold MacMillan A couple of things spring to mind. 1. Some form of "st...

Jaguar Web Server vs Microsoft IIS Web Server
Hi I am running both the Jaguar Web Server and Microsoft IIS on the same machine. Jaguar Server is also on the same machine. I have deployed the same applet to the root of both IIS and Jaguar Http Web Server. When I try to access the applet from a client (on a different machine) I can load the applet if I access if from the Jaguar Http Web Server. I cannot load the applet if I access from the Microsoft IIS web server. I have included the http logs from both Jaguar Http Web Server and IIS. Microsoft IIS is supposed to be a more robust web server so I hope to deliver my ap...

Unable to start debugging on the web server. The web server is not configured correctly.
Hi everyone, I work on C# project (VS 2008, framework 3.5, default Web Site)  that suddenly started giving me this error : "Unable to start debugging on the web server. The web server is not configured correctly.". The web.config is set : <compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true">. Any help will be greatly appreciated!     Did you try closing and then re-opening Visual Studio?Allan Horwitz Yes Hi, To better understand your issue, please confirm the following information: If we create a simple ...

Web resources about - aspx form works in Visual Studio web server but not on my main IIS web server. - asp.net.getting-started

Visual flight rules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Visual flight rules (VFR) are a set of regulations under which a pilot operates an aircraft in weather conditions generally clear enough to allow ...

Microsoft’s Android emulator coming soon to Mac as it open-sources Visual Studio Code
During Microsoft’s Connect 2015 event today live from New York, the company announced it is open-sourcing its Visual Studio Code program for ...

Digimon Adventure tri.'s 2nd Film Previewed in Visual
The official website for the Digimon Adventure tri. film series updated on Monday with the poster visual for second film, Digimon Adventure tri. ...

Read This: The visual development of Darth Vader
Brian Muir, the legendary artist who sculpted the original Darth Vader helmet based on Ralph McQuarrie’s designs, recently announced on Twitter ...

How to Stop Visual Hacking. Yes, That’s a Thing!
... you or your company from the high-tech hackers of the world, but it means nothing if someone can simply steal information with a glance. Visual ...

How to use Maps To Make Your Blog More Visual
... a topic or piece of content that has to do with places and locations. Nowadays (and often in the olden days), readers gravitate towards visual ...

Visual Effects On ‘The Martian,’ ‘Ant-Man’ And ‘The Walk’ Stand Out In Blockbuster Year For VFX
It's been a transformative year for the art of visual effects , demonstrated not only by the increasingly ordinary and realistic depiction of ...

The Good Dinosaur's Visual Grandeur Makes Up For Its Lack Of Wit
One of the constant accolades Pixar receives about its movies is that they’re not made just for kids. This is meant as a compliment: While they’re ...

A couple of age-gated visual novels are on sale on Steam
... ass god damn Clannad eyes got me thinking; I'm not sure about what, but I'll get back to you if I figure it out. Anyways, a couple more visual ...

Microsoft Integrates IncrediBuild Into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1
The integration of IncrediBuild into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 provides enhanced acceleration and build visualization to users of the IDE. ...