ASP.NET VB.NET to VB.NET Executable

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post.  I could not find a more suitable section.

I have several ASP.NET (using VB.NET) web pages that I have to convert to VB.NET executables. Can someone recommend a roadmap? Is this a huge task? Is it more manageable with the .NET platform? Thanks.
0
katajohnannine

the roadmap is to move as much code as possible out of the GUI into codebehind, and get GUI code out of code-behind.

then move as much as possible into library assemblies and/or Webservices.
then use the Visual Studio editor to drag and drop your new winapp gui, and easily plug in the back end.
check MSDN Patterns and Practices for more
0
rox
12/12/2003 9:46:09 PM
So I need to get out of this old ASP mode of designing everything with the connection string, etc. in the code and put it with the service?  Still learning .NET, if you can't tell.

I'm not sure how much "GUI into the codebehind" I can get "out." For example, I have textboxes, a datagrid, etc. Then I have the .net events for referencing those objects. Not sure what you mean here. I will check out the link. Thanks.
I would also like very much to justify getting Visual Studio .NET, so thanks.
0
katajohnannine
12/12/2003 9:49:47 PM
that is fine, presumably you'd have textboxes in the win app and just give them the same names.

i mean avoid stuff like Response.Write("<P>Hello<BR>World</P>")
0
rox
12/12/2003 9:59:49 PM
Also, do you mean stuff like this:

"It is possible to combine HTML and script on a single page as with previous versions of ASP.NET (called a single-file page) but for all but the simplest pages, the code-behind model should be used. With code-behind, the ASP.NET executable code is placed in a separately compiled DLL, called the code-behind class file, and the .aspx page contains only HTML and ASP.NET server controls. Code-behind design is much more scalable and is much easier to maintain. See the topic titled Introduction to Web Forms Pages in the ASP.NET SDK."
0
katajohnannine
12/12/2003 10:02:32 PM
yes, separation of "business" from "presentation" -- in both directions.
0
rox
12/16/2003 1:51:47 AM
MSDN provides an Application Architecture for .NET: Designing Applications and Services document. I have downloaded the PDF and printed it out ... it is an excellent resource.

The sample case it uses is an application that has both an ASP.NET interface for customers, and a Windows Forms interface for staff. Hence, it talks in detail about how to best share functionality between the two environments.
This document might provide something of a "road map" for you to follow.
Alister
0
SomeNewKid

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

Upgrade VB.net 2002 to VB.net 2003
Hi, i want to upgrade VB.net 2002 to VB.net 2003.what is the procedure?Uninstall 2002 and Install 2003 or something else? VB.net 2003 includes Framework 1.1 or i will install it separately?thanx in advance ...

C#.NET or VB.NET

How to get RS (From VB6) to .NET (VB.NET)
Hi Friends,         I have requirement, there is one function in VB6 it returns a RS, I need to call that function in  VB.NET, how to get those values into .NET, if can any body can help (pass me some code snippets), that will be greate, Thank you.Madhu... -Madhu hey guys i got this one just by using fill method.-Madhu...

vb .net or c# .net

About VB.net And VC.net
I am always Programming With VB.net Recently My Teacher ask us to learn Vc or VC.net. I try to learn it and compare it with vb.net, I found it's much too complex than vb. However it is said vc is strongger than vb I want to know Why vc is strongger than vb? and is it hard too learn vc? I am new to asp.net Thanks for man who want to help me! Wuhan, Hubei, China Below links could give some info http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308470Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti VisualC is not a language in an of itself...

VB.Net To C#.Net

ANN: VB.NET Forums
Hello Fellow Programmers: Just an announcement the VB.NET Forums moved to the advanced vBulletin 3 software providing a feature rich and enjoyable forum experience. Stop by in your Internet surfing to help others, ask questions, and partake in our VB.NET only community. Visit us in addition to your trips to this great community. http://www.vbdotnetforums.comNeal...

converting vb.net 2003 files to vb.net 2005
Hi, i am beginner..i watch videos about vb.net..they made on vs.net 2003 when i wrote these codes in 2005 ,it gives errors..is there any program which convert the code automatically?   thanks,Thanks,Speranza What videos are you talking about?  There are lots of great, up-to-date ASP.NET Videos on this site for free.Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! i am talking about learnvisualstudio.net videos..Thanks,Speranza Speranza:they made on vs.net 2003 when i wrote these codes in 2005 ,it gives errors..is there a...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

I have a web site in vb.net 2003 that I what to convert to vb.net 2005. I open my web site in the visual studio 2005 by Local IIS option. I follow the steps of the visual studio conversion wizard.In the conversion report I received the following warning 'Referencepath' settings have not been converted.  Can anyone tell what I have to do to make this warning disappear? Best regards,Sérgio 'Referencepath'  is a property you can set with with VS2003 project file, sothat when ever you to do Add reference this path is serached for class libraries.  We do not  have that ...

VB.NET
All, This is probably a much harder question than what should go in the "Getting Started" forum, but I am new and don't know where to put it. Anyways, I am currently developing an FTP class in VB.NET. It's kid tested, mother approved when trying to access an FTP Server on a Windows box meaning I can connect, run commands, upload and download a file no problem. My issues come when I try to use the same class with the same commands to access an FTP server on a UNIX box. I can connect and login just fine, but after that all my commands come back "500 'PWD': command not understood.". This is fo...

Web resources about - ASP.NET VB.NET to VB.NET Executable - asp.net.getting-started

Executable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... . However, in a more general sense, a file containing instructions (such as bytecode ) for a software interpreter may also be considered executable ...

The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata [29c3] - YouTube
The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata The Executable and Linkable Format (ELF) is omnipresent; related OS and library ...

Agile Test Case Management – Specifications and Executable Specifications
... from the first three posts in this series and we’re well into realm of dangerous with Specification and their automated compatriots, Executable ...

Should You Recompile Your Software as a 64-Bit Executable?
Describes the 64-bit features available in OS X. As a general rule, in OS X v10.7 and later, the answer is probably yes. A 64-bit executable ...

For a year, gang operating rogue Tor node infected Windows executables
... Tor exit node. F-Secure Three weeks ago, a security researcher uncovered a Tor exit node that added malware to uncompressed Windows executables ...

Easily create icons from images or executables
... There is an easy solution to this problem, though, and it’s called Quick Any2Ico . Point this compact free program at an image or executable ...

Analysis Nirvana Via Stripped Executables and Binaries?
CodeSonar for binaries identifies security vulnerabilities in third-party executables

AMD’s GPU performance under Linux can be boosted by renaming certain executables
A new report claims that CS:Go players with AMD Radeon GPUs on Linux can boost performance significantly by renaming files.

Patent US5432937 - Method and apparatus for architecture independent executable files - Google Patents ...
The present invention is a method that enables single release of applications for multiple architectures and operating systems and to provide ...

pefile - pefile is a Python module to read and work with PE (Portable Executable) files - Google Project ...
pefile is a multi-platform Python module to read and work with Portable Executable (aka PE) files . Most of the information in the PE Header ...