AJAX not working on deployed server, but works on test server

Hello,
I tried to search on this question, but I'm not sure how to form it, so if it has been answered, my appologies.

I had an application developed by a 3rd party company using ASP.NET (2.0, C#) and AJAX.  On their test server the AJAX is working.  I have a page that has three drop downs.  The top drop down populates the second and the second populates the third.  On my production box, the app is not getting the new data for the second and third drop downs.  (But it does on the test server)

 I am running MS 2003 server with IIS and ASP.NET and AJAX installed.  I'm a total novice with this, so any help would be appreciated.  The contractor has been no help as far as the server setup.  I'm guessing it is a checkbox somewhere and I'll end up being red faced.

Thank you in advance!

-Matt

0
msanders

msanders:
ASP.NET (2.0, C#) and AJAX

likely, the ajax.asp.net 1.0 has not been installed.  go to ajax.asp.net on the server and install that and it will probably just work.

Peter Kellner
http://73rdstreet.com and blogging at
http://PeterKellner.net
MVP, ASP.NET
0
pkellner
12/27/2007 5:34:03 PM

You need to install ajax on the production server or put these dlls in the bin directory

http://www.asp.net/ajax/downloads/

System.Web.Extensions.dll (Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.61025)

AjaxControlToolkit.dll -- If you use AJAX tool kit functionality .. You can download the dll from here

http://www.codeplex.com/AtlasControlToolkit/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=8513

Jeev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
Jeev
12/27/2007 5:49:30 PM

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, AJAX has been installed, I also installed the January CTP (Not sure if that is the right term) to see if that would help.  I also rebooted after the installs, just in case.

0
msanders
12/27/2007 5:50:24 PM

Hmm it should work. Just to trouble shoot..can you try putting the dll's in the bin folder?

Also another check is are all ajax functionality broken? or is it just the cascading drop down? Also check the data and see if there is infact data to display

Try putting a simple ajax page to check if it works

Jeev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
Jeev
12/27/2007 5:57:07 PM

I just looked in C:\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.61025 and saw the .dll

I will download the toolkit and install that, maybe they used it and didn't know it. (?)  It can't hurt right?

I looked at the database and there is data.

I don't know enough about ASP or AJAX to make a simple script for testing.  Can you recommend something for testing?

0
msanders
12/27/2007 6:12:02 PM

A simple page with a scriptmanager and an updatepanel and a timer control with time interval set to say 10 sec . Put a label inside the contenttemplate of the updatepanel and in the code behind page load assign current time to the label... Pretty much an ajax based clock .

Jeev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
Jeev
12/27/2007 6:35:45 PM

I've tried three seperate times to download the toolkit with no luck.

I hate to say this, but I'm not even at the newbie level of ASP.  What you recommended was gibberish to me.  Are there other IIS settings that I can check?

0
msanders
12/27/2007 7:44:57 PM

Oh sorry about that. what I had mentioned were the steps to create a basic ajax enabled page

1. Creat page

2. Add a script manager control

3 Add an update panel control

4. Add a timer control and set time interval

5. Put the the label into the contenttemplate of the updatepanel

6. In the code behind page set the text of the label to the current date time

7. Set the timer as the Async postback  trigger for the updatepanel

Would suggest taking a quick look at the beginners tutorial for asp.net ajax

Don't think of any iis settings that you need to check

http://www.asp.net/ajax/documentation/

Jeev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
Jeev
12/27/2007 8:09:40 PM

hi,

Make sure the web.config is configured to work with AJAX

0
zuperboy90
12/27/2007 11:44:42 PM
Thank you - which webconfig file?  Again, I appologize for my newness to this whole thing.  The origional plan was to get this app up and running, and THEN start learning ASP.Net...
0
msanders
12/28/2007 1:42:55 PM

... then that must be the problem:

if you already have a website and do you want to implement AJAX on it and to work at the same time watch that video:

http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/video-81.aspx

if you want to start an empty website witch uses AJAX click File > New WebSite and then select "ASP.NET Website with AJAX" or something like this and you can watch videos to learn how to make your first ajax aplications

http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/

i hope this will resolve your problem ;)

0
zuperboy90
12/28/2007 1:54:44 PM

Thank you for the reply. This is an app that was created by a 3rd party company.  They have it working on their server.  They sent me the files and the database.  I got the database inserted and am trying to get the app up and running.  The AJAX is not working on my server, but it is on theirs.

I don't have any knowledge of ASP.Net or ASP AJAX, so unless someone has a file I can just drop in place to test functionality, I can't even do that.  The 3rd party contractors are out until Jan. 2nd, I was hoping to get something going before then.

-Matt

0
msanders
12/31/2007 1:17:55 PM

Just to approach this from another direction, are you sure that AJAX isn't working? What I mean is, have you tested it on various computers? Could it be that your browser settings are the problem? Basically what I am getting at is, did they test the application after deployment, or are you the only one who has tried it?

0
Jungalist
12/31/2007 2:13:17 PM

Thank you for the response.

I have tried running it from the server using localhost - as well as from my machine and a coworker's.  I asked the contractor to try the app from him machine as well all with the same results.

He and I went through all of the IIS settings he and I could think of with no joy.  I have this sinking feeling that it's one of those not too well documented switches like when we upgraded our server 2000 boxes to server 2003.  We set up all the shares, but no one could access them.  Finally we found a second switch buried in a different part of the OS to allow people to connect to the server that wasn't there before.  :(

0
msanders

AJAX not working on server, works on test server and developer machine
I use ASP.NET AJAX on my web page. The page consists of two textboxes and two buttons. Textbox 1 is within an update panel triggered by button 1 and the other textbox is updated by full page postback caused by button 2. This works perfectly on my developer machine and on a test server (W2K3) but when I publish it to the real server (W2K3 Server) the page always posts back when clicking button 1 instead of just updating the textbox within the update panel. When I look at the source of the generated page in the browser I see that the server version of the page does not include a...

Cloning a Test Plan works on our test server but gets an ambigous "System Error" on our production server
We're running Bugzilla 3.4.6 & Tesopia (? version) on a windows server with= MySQL 5.1 and with IE 8. When I attempt to clone a test plan on our produ= ction system I get the "System Error" box but without any additional info).= It will go ahead and create the test plan but the test cases don't get co= pied over. I get the error box regardless if I choose to copy the test cas= es or not... this process works succesfully on our test system environment= .. =20 Any suggestions for how I can track down the problem? Thanks much, Bill Guten Tag Wickham, ...

Web app won't work on production server, but works on testing server.
Hi, I have been trying to figure out this problem to no success.  I hope someone understands what is going on. I am using ASP.NET 2.0 on both servers.  I am trying to test a simple app that creates a simple treeview out of the sites directory structure.  It uses a custom provider written by "4GuysFrom..." called FileSystemSiteMapProfiler.  All the app is a page that creates a tree structure of my websites folder and files.  It works great at home (testing server- XP machine).  When I upload the files and run it online, it fails.  The error me...

Trying to get a 2.0 site (with AJAX.NET) working on Server 2000
I recently wrote an application using AJAX.NET (and obvioulsy .NET 2.0).  When I went to publish the site on the server I realized that neither .NET 2.0 or AJAX.NET were installed.   I downloaded both and installed.  Rebooted the server to be sure.   After I created the virtual directory, I went to check the site.  I got a parse error ont he web.config file, immediately I realized that I forgot to set the site to 2.0 from 1.1 (like I do EVERY SINGLE TIME, but that is not here nor there).    The wierd thing is, is that once I switched over to 2.0 when...

Cannot get working files to work on Web Server
I have gotten to the point where (hooray) I am able to code things that work and am independent in searching for things that don't work. I know that if I can just jump this hurdle - I will be able to leave you guys alone (or at least have more intelligent questions...) My problem is - all that worked fine on the local .net framework that I set up in Visual Web Dev Express do not work when I upload to the site. With PHP I would be checking out the php.ini set up on the server but really, I'm so lost in all the extra files and dependencies (etc. etc.!) that go along with .net that I ...

AJAX Server Controls not working on production server
Hi All, I asked this question some time ago in the deployment forum but got no reply I'm now hitting it again and would really appreciate some ideas.. I am developing an ASP.NET 3.5 application which uses several custom AJAX Server Controls, these controls work fine on my development machine and on a Windows Server 2003 test machine, however on one of our production servers (which is also Windows Server 2003 and has had ASP.NET 3.5 installed) I get undefined namespace errors from Javascript in the script which is creating client-side instances of my controls eg. "MyTabControl...

Ajax not work on Production Server but works in Development
I developed a web application that used VS2005, .Net Framework 2.0, Ajax 1.0, the database is connected to a database server with SQL server 2005. The application worked fine in my development PC but not in the production server. I'm getting this error: Unable to create type 'ajaxToolkit:CascadingDropDown'. Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies The application web.config contains: <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Cult...

url rewiting is working in local server but it is not working in remote server
hi  i new to dotnet. I am trying to use url rewriting for my project in asp.net 2.0, my problom is that it is working in local computer but when i post my website content in remote hosting server it is not working.... i am using the code as below:   In global.asax i wrote this :<%@ Application Language="VB" %>   <script runat="server">  Protected Sub Application_BeginRequest(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)Dim myContext As HttpContext = HttpContext.Current  Dim rewrite_regex As Regex = New Regex("(.+)\/((.+)...

Ajax features not working on the server where ajax enable site is deployed
Hi, I have a web site devoped using AjaxControlToolkit 3.0 and VS 2008. all work well on my machine, but if I try to host the site on a server having OS windows server 2003 and IIS 6. Ajax feature of the web site do not work, like calender extender of mask edit extender. bin directory of my web site contains Ajaxcontroltoolkit.dll and other folder required. Any help or pointers on this is highly appriciated.  regards, pravincheers,  are you getting any errors?  if so, pls post em.BruceDiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner- ...

site works in VS test server, but not on any of our web servers
Some of the ASP.NET sites I develop will not work on our web servers, not even the IIS server on my PC, but they will work on Visual Studio's test server.  They all are either pre-compiled, or have objects like C# classes or DataSets in them.  Basically, when I run them, I get an error:  The type or namespace name <name> could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) Source Error: Line 8: using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts; Line 9: using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls; Line 10: using testclass; Line 11:...

Validation works on local/testing server but not on remote server
Hello, I've the following problem the validation works on local/testing server but not on remote server. I don't have a clue what the reason might be. Could anybody explain... tx in advance. Pieter Christiaan   Please see this thread: http://forums.asp.net/739537/ShowPost.aspx--- Peter BlumCreator of Peter's Data Entry Suite (formerly Professional Validation And More and Peter's Date Package) and Peter's Polling Packagewww.PeterBlum.com...

Need to get AJAX working on server.
Hi I have a live server running framework 1.1 and 2.0 with net web apps running in both (server 2003).  I have a new web application built using vs2005 with AJAX (installed the ajax assemblies on my development machine).  Anyhow I put the webapp on the server but got the error missing assemblies,(I think the one that AJAX uses).  Anyhow just wondering do I need to install the AJAX assemblies on the server?  If so what is the name of the MSI file?.  Is this the ASPAJAXExtSetup.msi file that I would need to run on the server? thanks.Paul GSoftware Engineer espltd:...

Response.Filter
Hello dear forum members! I implemented a little filter doing some modification of the output of a third party usercontrol which i can't seem to modify in any other way. I did this according to this article: http://aspalliance.com/71_Modifying_Page_OutputIt works absolutely flawless.... on my development machine (W2K3 Server, asp.net 2.0). As soon as I xcopy-deploy the whole thing to the production server (also W2K3, asp.net 2.0) everything works except the Response.Filter. So I get the un-altered page output....  Does anybody know what can be the problem? Is there maybe some setti...

Works on Client, doesn't work on Deployment server
I'm trying to deploy an application that has been tested and works fine on the client but now suddenly doesn't work on the server at all.  Its very bizarre.  If anyone has an ideas, as I'm pulling my hair out. This is the error: Server Error in '/Admin' Application. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object ...

Web resources about - AJAX not working on deployed server, but works on test server - asp.net.getting-started

List of deployed WiMAX networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Net One (Angola) (subsidiary of MSTelcom ) is deploying a nationwide project at 2.5 GHz; currently available in Luanda, Malanje, Lobito and Lubango. ...

4/08/2014 US Navy tests electromagnetic Railgun to be deployed in 1-2 years - YouTube
Full post with screenshots and links to this new US Naval Research Laboratories public release : http://dutchsinse.com/4082014-builders-of-h ...

Africa-led force could be deployed in Mali within weeks
Four-day meeting in Malian capital involving local and international groups to finalise blueprint aimed at clearing out militants.

Canadian soldier deployed against Islamic State killed by friendly fire in Iraq
A Canadian soldier was killed on Friday in a friendly fire incident in Iraq, Canada's Defence Department said on Saturday, in the first fatality ...

ACT crews deployed to help storm effort
Canberra SES volunteers are preparing for redeployment to assist their NSW colleagues.

US military personnel deployed to Niger
PRESIDENT Barack Obama says about 100 US military personnel have been deployed to the west African nation of Niger.

Security forces deployed in Baghdad
Iraq's prime minister has announced he will sue the president and deploy security forces across Baghdad.

Hand in your guns: Destruction vans deployed across state
Queenslanders have been asked to surrender their illegal guns under a three-month amnesty taking effect on Friday.