"Do nothing" timer in VB .NET

Hi folks,

I'm developing an application where I need to implement a "Do nothing", or settling, timer in VB .NET. Can someone help me out on a quick implementation of this type of timer?

Thanks for your help!
0
STi05

I am not entirely sure what a "Do Nothing" timer is but this code will process, then go to sleep and do nothing for 10 seconds, then wake back up and continue execution.

'doing code stuff

'i need to sleep
System.Threading.Thread.Sleep( 10 * 1000 )

'after 10 seconds this code will execute.

The Sleep method is in milliseconds, so 10 seconds time 1000 milliseconds per second.

bill

0
billrob458
7/11/2005 11:31:56 PM
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!!!
0
STi05
7/12/2005 12:00:16 AM
just as a side note - you might want to check your logic where you are
using this - did something time out and you are trying to give some
other operation time to complete ? If so , then sleeping a thread for
x- seconds is not the way. what if it takes 5 seconds now - but takes 3
minutes later on. you might want to check out asynchronous threads..
some links....
http://forums.asp.net/981303/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.asp.net/981186/ShowPost.aspx

HTH

Hope That Helps
All that wander, are not lost...
What were we talkin bout
0
uncleb

VB.NET ":=" ?
 Hi, what is this operator, ":=" ? I found it has something to do with "expression" , but not sure how to use it. I googled and didn't find any information.  Here you go: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/51wfzyw0(VS.71).aspxThanks, EdMicrosoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET...

Calling A VB.NET Function in TextBox1.Attributes.Add("OnKeyUp", "search_log()")
Please tell me where i am wrong.  I am trying to call a vb.net function in attributes.add("OnKeyUp", "search_log()")   Function search_log() some codes here End Function   There is an error that "object expected"   Please Help JavaScript can not call a function that is serverside code. It can only call JavaScript code. If you want to call code on the server, you should ook into using the Ajax controls. Eric Pascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn Hi, I suggest you use pagemethod. For more infomation, see http...

Using VB.NET's "IsNot Nothing"
Here is a tip for people using the VB.NET version of the CSS Control Adapters (as opposed to the C# version). VB.NET 2.0 introduced a new operator, "IsNot", which is obviously the opposite of "Is".  It is especially useful when testing for when something is not "Nothing".  (I love the double-negative!) So the full new syntax when testing for Nothing is "value IsNot Nothing". The VB version of the control adapters do not utilize this new syntax.  Instead, they use "Not IsNothing(value)". There are two reasons I like the new syntax, rather than the old.  First, it more ...

vb.net get FirstName, LastName using "userprofileservice.asmx"
  Dear All, I am new for vb.net. and I was trying this link and its work well http://forums.asp.net/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=28 Is that possible to use (Web references) http://serverxxx/_vti_bin/userprofileservice.asmx?wsdl and get FirstName, LastName, Office, Email... from Active Directory as well. I am using Infopath to get those details, But wanna try using vb.net to do that. Thanks Lasantha...

Get "Mail"/"Get "News" / "Write"/"Post" buttons?
If the "Get Mail" button text changed to "Get News", and "Write" changed to "Post" when TB's in the news-reading mode, it would save me and probably others from constantly forgetting to make the change before proceeding. :-) Or is there an extension to do this which I don't know about? Thanks! Bob Bob P wrote: > If the "Get Mail" button text changed to "Get News", and "Write" > changed to "Post" when TB's in the news-reading mode, it would save me > and probably others...

VS.NET 2005 is ignoring in web.config strict="true". I get no error when I try this: Dim x As Integer = "string"
Hello,I have this in my VS.NET 2005 web.config <compilation debug="true" strict="true" explicit="true">When I do this in my vb code:Dim x As Integer = "string"I get no error. When I hit compilation I also get no error. What am I doing wrong?Thanks for helping!Regards,J. Bauer It's a bug of some sort See this response by Scott Guthriehttp://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=3c1c9898-8076-4f69-a5e2-e99573d03c6e Unfortunately we don’t have a GUI based way to configure this. L It is something we will make sure gets added back in, though, with the next...

C#.Net "Double" and "double" When/Where to use?
Hi all     Please let me know the difference between "Double" and "double" in c#.Net (I understand that "Double" is structure      and "double" is an instance to that structure) differences if any thing else.     Also the context in which both has been used.(When/Where to use both). thanks all...      hi,my brains says Double is reference type & double is value type.regards,satishKind Attn: If a reply to your post helped you, kindly mark it as Answered.__________...

Getting "Problem in Mapping Fragment starting at line ..." error when trying to create table mappings for table associations in ADO.NET Entity Framework
 Table A: COUNTRY_LOOKUP COUNTRY_ID   smallintclustered, unique, primary key located on PRIMARY    COUNTRY_ID TABLE B: COUNTRY_MODE_RULES CARRIER_ID    intMODE_RULE_TYPE_ID    intORIG_COUNTRY_ID    smallintDEST_COUNTRY_ID    smallint clustered, unique, primary key located on PRIMARY    CARRIER_ID, MODE_RULE_TYPE_ID, ORIG_COUNTRY_ID, DEST_COUNTRY_IDThere is a foreign key relationship from COUNTRY_MODE_RULES to COUNTRY_LOOKUPORIG_COUNTRY_IDREFERENCES .COUNTRY_LOOKUP (COUNTRY_ID)DEST_CO...

"\n" in C#, in VB.NET ?????
Hi there!! I want to use the equivelent of "\n" in java .. so that code will take me to the next line. i try to do this in VB and found more than one key word I found "ControlChars.NewLine" and "ControlChars.CrLf".. Can you please tell me what is the difference and which one is the right conversion of the java or C# Thank you for reading this messageFadil Alnassar www.fadilalnassar.com | FREE Nodil Tab Controlhttp://www.mefranchising.com In VB.NET, vbcrlf (Carriage return line feed) should do the job. CR is for Carriage return; the ascii \r character....

'Entropy', a "net inside the net" ?
Just tumbled upon this, maybe old news. Comments welcome (f/u grc.privacy) : Entropy is a software, which creates a "net inside the net" (inside the internet) for its users. This software can be used both by *nix- and Windows-users. Entropy is "Free Software" (under GPL) and can be downloaded here: http://entropy.stop1984.com/ -- Ninho On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:03:30 +0200, in grc.linkfarm,grc.privacy, Ninho wrote: > Just tumbled upon this, maybe old news. Comments welcome (f/u grc.privacy) : > > Entropy is a software, which creates a "ne...

ctrl+enter with "net", "org".... will be splited.
Name: hr6r Email: hedianatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: ctrl+enter with "net", "org".... will be splited. Comments: 1, i want go to "www.abcnet.com". 2, type "abcnet" in the address bar. 3, press ctrl+enter. 4, splited to "www.abc.net.com". Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2) Gecko/2007121120 Firefox/3.0b2 ...

missing method "asn" in "Net::LDAP::LDIF"
hi! I just tried to work a bit with Net::LDAP::LDIF but I got an error during $ldap->add: Can't locate object method "asn" via package "Net::LDAP::LDIF" at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Net/LDAP.pm line 444, <DATA> line 225. I recently installed Convert::ASN1 0.19 an perl-ldap-0.33. Any hints? Thanks a lot! -- Liebe Gruesse, with best regards Stephan Lauffer [ Pedagogical University Freiburg - Germany ] [ http://www.ph-freiburg.de/zik/ ] [ Fon/ Fax: +49 761 682 -459/ -486 ] Hi, On Tuesday, 13. September 2005 2...

"Net use" not working in application that runs as "system"
Hello, I am trying to create an application object to distribute a program which during the setup procedure creates two local users on the workstation. I tried to set up the application to run as an unsecure system user and start the setup.exe. This method worked fine for quite a number of apps in the past. However this app needs a drive mapping to a windows 2003 server to start the setup.exe. Apparently under windows 2003 it is no longer possible to use the "net use" command when running a script as system user. I get system error 1312 "A specified logon ses...

Web resources about - "Do nothing" timer in VB .NET - asp.net.getting-started