Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003

Okay, hold your breath and try to not slug me for this one.

I have a 450 MHz machine, a desktop actually. I have made Windows Server 2003 run on this and ASP.NET worked great. I am, however, concerned with performance. The system has 270 MB RAM. I don't know if the improvements from 2000 Server to 2003 Server are worth putting the latter on a slower machine. This is to be an IIS server.
Comments?
0
wswartzendruber

is it going to be a production server, or just a development box? (probably a stupid question, but you never can tell these days)

for a development server performance is less of a concern, obviously. I'd say if it runs at a decent clip, go for it and install 2k3 - it really is a superior product and that's not just company loyalty saying so. You might want to drop some extra RAM in there though - all my machines now run with a minimum of a Gig (apart from my antique NT4 box which doesn't count)
RTFM - straight talk for web developers. Unmoderated, uncensored, occasionally unreadable

Jason Brown - MVP, IIS
0
Atrax
9/18/2004 6:35:52 AM
I think with BAI increasing in applications a 400mhz pc is too outdated.  It's time for an upgrade.  If you can afford a windows server 2003 license, you can afford to upgrade to a more stable machine with more superior parts.
Kay Lee
MySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragie
Infrastructure Group
MySpace.com

- Code to live, but Live to code.
0
KraGiE
9/18/2004 9:27:04 PM
It's actually for playing with ASP.NET, and the license is an MSDN Academic Alliance deal.
0
wswartzendruber
9/19/2004 4:45:41 AM
In that case, which ever works best for you.  2003 is a superior product as Atrax said, but it might get frustrating since it does require more juice to operate.
Kay Lee
MySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragie
Infrastructure Group
MySpace.com

- Code to live, but Live to code.
0
KraGiE
9/19/2004 4:51:19 AM
Meh, I'll just get liberal with the services like last time, turning them off, that is.
0
wswartzendruber
9/19/2004 5:00:00 AM
Another thought:  At work we're using a dual 400 MHz file server that's running Windows 2000 Server.  It's only got 512 MB RAM, though.  Upgrade or no upgrade?  The reason why I ask is because this one has dual processors.
0
wswartzendruber
9/19/2004 5:02:34 AM
2003 will run on that dual box for sure. That said, the only benefit I can see you upgrading from 2000 to 2003 for a file server is either for shadow copy or it's a DFS member and you want the FRS improvements.
--Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP - Directory Services
http://www.briandesmond.com
0
bdesmond
9/19/2004 10:16:56 PM
I just started utilizing the RS4-GZ part 2, and ran into issues with the XRJJR9 using the PXL6.  Now if I implemented the CTOGv4, it might run better.

hah
Kay Lee
MySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragie
Infrastructure Group
MySpace.com

- Code to live, but Live to code.
0
KraGiE
9/19/2004 11:34:07 PM
* Observes acronyms *

Suuurrreee...
0
wswartzendruber

HELP
I am having troubles understanding what I need to do to integrate Visual Basic .NET 2003 with IIS 6.0, where VS.NET is installed on my Windows 2000 machine, but the IIS is running on a separate Windows 2003 Server.We purchase Visual Basic .NET Standard.   I assume that is all that is required for creating ASP.NET pages, Web services and Web applications?We ran the setup on the Windows 2000 machine.   The prerequisites were installed, followed by VB.NET.   We installed the .NET Framework 1.1 SDK and then the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1.On the Windows 2...

Critical Update for SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (Windows) on Windows Server 2003 (KB829358)
Download this patch if you are using Windows Sharepoint Services (Windows Component) on Microsoft Windows Server 2003. This update addresses issues with WMSDE when used with Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services on computers that are running Windows Server 2003. Refer to Knowledge Base article 829358 for more information regarding this patch. http://makeashorterlink.com/?I14825427 -- Regard: Joh@nnes � "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

iFolder 2.1 on a Windows 2000 Adv Server SP3 with Windows 2003 Ent Server in Domain
Hi, I have got a Windows 2000 Adv Server in a Domain with a Windows 2003 Ent Server. I can install iFolder 2.1 and have got the certificate services working fine. I have a problem at the end of the installation when you go in to manage the global setting. Once I login as administrator and the screen opens up. I get the error: Unable to add iFolder_ServerAgent to Global Settings LDAP. It works find on a single Windows 2000 Adv Server AD etc. Problem seems to be in a domain with a Windows 2003 Server being in the domain and hence the Active Directory updates causing a ...

You may not immediately receive notification when a SATA hard disk fails in Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003
You may not immediately receive notification when a SATA hard disk fails in Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896065 Article ID : 896065 Last Review : April 11, 2005 Revision : 2.0 SYMPTOMS Assume that a computer uses a Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) hard disk that belongs to an emulated Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment (PATA) hard disk master/subordinate drive pair. (A master/subordinate drive pair is also known as a master/slave drive pair.) In this configuration, you may not immedi...

Network Adapter Drivers for Windows* 2000, Windows* XP and Windows Server* 2003
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=&DwnldID=4275&strOSs=OSFullName=&lang=eng or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ntk46 Installs base drivers, Intel� PROSet for Windows* Device Manager, and Advanced Networking Services (ANS) for Intel� network adapters for Windows* 2000, Windows* XP, and Windows Server* 2003. Download the self-extracting archive and run it. When you run it, it will extract the files to a temporary directory, run the installation wizard, and remove the temporary files when the installation is complet...

Does ASA 8.0.2 or higher run on Windows 2000 Adv Server / Windows 2003 Enterprise Server as cluster service?
Hi all, Simple question, does the Sybase SQL Anywhere Database 8.0.2 or higher run on Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows 2003 Enterprise Server as a cluster service? Best Regards, Carsten Yes 8.0.2 can run in a Windows Cluster. No it is not 'cluster aware'. One example of ASA being configured in a cluster is outlined in: How to Implement a Common Database for Pylon Anywhere within a Load-Balanced Cluster http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1026325 -- ----------------------------------------------- Robert Waywell Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - V...

Upgrade Windows 2003 Server to Windows 2008 Server
Hello! Does somebody know if it will be possible to upgrade a webserver with Windows 2003 Server OS to Windows 2008 Server (I want to use IIS 7.0).The same question for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition... Can I upgrade this to SQL Server 2008 Express Edition when it is available? (in 39 days)... Thank you for helping me!    Windows server Upgrade 2008 http://blogs.iis.net/mailant/archive/2007/09/24/windows-server-2008-rc0-available-now.aspx  Sql Server Upgrade 2008 http://www.scalabilityexperts.com/default.asp?action=article&ID=43Remember to mark any post th...

Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
followup to grc.security.software Your Internet Explorer home page is reset to "about:blank" and Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) unexpectedly quits in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894269/EN-US/ ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Article ID : 894269 Last Review : February 25, 2005 Revision : 1.0 SYMPTOMS On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft Windo...

SQL Server 2000 and Windows 2003 Server
I have a SQL 2000 DB server running win 2k. I have just recently bought a new webserver that has 2003 server installed on it. When I try to connect to SQL (through a webapp) using integrated security I get the error message Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON' I've tried configuring an application pool to run as a domain user and place the web app into the app pool but the pool fails. The event viewer has an error message that reads IDENTITY OF THE APPLICATION POOL IS INVALID I've even tried congifuring the process model section of the machine.config to ...

The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000
The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/?id=890830 *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** Microsoft has released the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool to help remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows XP, or Microsoft W...

Image upload not working on Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition but is on Windows 2003 Web Server Edition
Hi, I have a website that allows image uploads by users through ASP.NET 2.0 front-end running on Windows 2003 Server boxes (Web Server Edition).  Recently, some additional servers were acquired to handle additional load.  The new servers are running windows 2003 Standard Edition R2 and the photo upload does not work on them.  It does work on the older Windows 2003 Web Server Edition servers.  The operations team prohibits doing remote debugging on production servers so there is no way for me to see what is going on in the code.  Has anyone else experienced this ...

VS2005 website hosting from windows server 2003 to windows server 2005
hi i developed a visualstudio 2005 webapplication using VB language and operating system is Windows server 2003. now planning to host website in a dedicated server...but that dedicated server operating system is windows server 2008 std edition. whether all these website files will support  with windows 2008 or not?? can anybody help me for this?? regards       http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/IIS7ASPNet.aspx We All move to our original place.Don't forget.Imran Baloch...

Sizing for a windows server with .Net on Win Server 2003
Hello all, Although i have been checking this website for the last few years this is my first post!!! Do you know if microsoft has any tools or guidelines to calculate the hardware requirements for a server with windows server 2003 that will have a couple of .Net webservices and a couple of aspx pages. Basically i am looking for a set of hardware and software requirements for the server (e.g. HDD speed, RAM, CPU etc). The webservices will be called in the range of 8000 calls per minute. The aspx pages will be rarely accessed (maybe 1-2 times per week). The webservices do very little proc...

Web resources about - Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 - asp.net.free-for-all

The Windows Blog

High Court move to extend enrolment window and unlock one million votes
Laws that prevent Australians from enrolling to vote in the weeks leading up to a federal election are set to be challenged in the High Court. ...

Windows Phone hacked! Unlock Lumia bootloader, get root access, flash custom ROMs
... probably have many hours of fun playing with an Android device or Raspberry Pi. With that said, Linux is not the only game in town. Windows ...

EXCLUSIVE: Calais Trucker’s Close Brush With Death as Migrants Hurl WOODEN STAKE Through Cab Window
A Czech driver passing through Calais has narrowly avoided being killed by immigrants when they hurled a long wooden stake through the window ...

Woman, 80, breaks window to try to free husband from fire
Texas woman focused on saving husband after escaping from house on fire

CNET UK podcast 459: The right way to watch Star Wars, Bezos' rocket and your thoughts on Windows Phone ...
Google's Star Trek-style wearable, a historic rocket and whether we need "The Phantom Menace" are all up for debate on the latest episode of ...

Microsoft acknowledges bug led to Windows 10 November upgrade stoppage
Microsoft has restored access to Windows 10's November upgrade from its download center, saying that it pulled the upgrade because of a bug. ...

Sony confirms official PS4 Remote Play app for Windows and Mac
Well that was quick. It's only been a couple of days since someone came up with an unofficial app to stream PlayStation 4 gaming to PC, but earlier ...