Can I use Visual Studio rather than Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer?

I am learning SharePoint and its capabilities. I am a developer and I want to know if I can develop functionallity including server-side and client side logic using Visual Studio rather than Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer. What is the difference? Is there a major plus of using SharePoint Designer?

Victor A. Palma
0
vicpal25

vicpal25:
...I want to know if I can develop functionallity including server-side and client side logic using Visual Studio rather than Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer...

Sure.  Sharepoint Designer is an offshoot of Visual Web Developer, with a little FrontPage tossed in.  One advantage is that the WYSIWYG interface is a little better for Sharepoint, but the main advantage is it costs less than Visual Studio.  If you're not working with content or look and feel, then VS will probably be more comfortable to use.  There are Sharepoint extensions for Visual Studio that may help as well.

Jeff

jeff
5/30/2008 1:45:14 PM

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I read the following comparison regarding the two:

http://programmingzen.blogspot.com/2007/02/sharepoint-workflow-sharepoint-designer.html

 My biggest concern is deployment. How extensive is it to deploy a simple site into SharePoint using Visual Studio. We have Visual Studio already in our development team so I am weighting in to see if purchasing SharePoint Designer is worth the cost.

A big drawback of SharePoint is that there is no debugging. Also, there is no code behind? This redirected me to think "How do I create my server side logic?". I know that you create WebParts and thats how the flow of a SharePoint site is created but I am still not clear on that aspect. I just started evaluating and learning the product this week so pardon my "rookie" questions.

Victor A. Palma
0
vicpal25
5/30/2008 3:06:19 PM

Actually, SPD has little in common with VWD Smile VWD 2008 is using derivation of the design surface, and SPD is using some intellisense bits from VS but that is pretty much it. VS does not provide much for SharePoint development though, it is not able to open a SharePoint site.

Mikhail
5/30/2008 3:39:53 PM
But is there any extensions that allow a SharePoint site to be opened and work with? I am still trying to understand how do you create server side logic?

Victor A. Palma
0
vicpal25
5/30/2008 3:45:13 PM

Extensions most let you work with code. They don't provide page designer, so for page design you still have to use SPD.

Mikhail
5/30/2008 4:03:52 PM

So what you are saying is that in order to create server side functionallity into SharePoint (WebParts) then you must install these extensions into Visual Studio, create your logic there, then you get the option of grabbing the deployed logic in SharePoint Designer and doing your client work there?

Victor A. Palma
0
vicpal25

Can I use my visual studio 6 project in Visual Studio .NET?
Here is my situation 1) Web Windows 2k Server. All code is done in ASP (not .net) 2) 1 Developer is not yet ready to install Visual Studio .NET, nor are we ready upgrade our server to .NET, however I wish to use Visiual Studio .NET. So is it possible to open a Visual Studio 6 project file and use the built in Source Control while running Visual Studio .NET? Thanks, Matt anyone able to help me out here? anyone?...

How can i using javascrip or VBscrip in Microsoft visual studio .net
1. i m new in using Microsoft visual studio.net, i have a string of javascript and vbscript,    Who can tell me that how can i using these string of code at  Microsoft visual studio.net??    Thanks a lot using JavaScript is no different on an HTML page. Where is this string (code behind)? If it is on the code behind then look into this: http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/Mayank_Gupta.asp EricPascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn Do not double post, wastes people's time! Another thread here with the same answer: http://forums.asp.net/115866...

Help! Can anybody tell me if I can use Visual Studio.NET to develop Web application at my home using Windows XP Home Edition?
Can anybody tell me if I can use Visual Studio.NET to develop Web application at my home using Windows XP Home Edition? I downloaded Web Martrix. But I don't want to use its IDE. I just want to use its webserver because Home Edition can't have IIS. Thanks.HeiGe Visual Studio.NET neededs IIS, But in home addition you can't use IIS. So in XPHome you can't use Visual Studio.NET from ASP.NET development!Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti Thanks for your answer. But I have successfully added IIS to my XP Home. Special thanks to Holeinone, Pippo a...

Can I Have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 together?
Hi everyone. Can I have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 installed in the same machine? I want to install Studio 2005 but I do not want to uninstall Studio.NET yet. Thanks!C# I am running VS 2003 and VS 2005 together with no problems.Martin Lawrence, MCSE, CNE, A+ Recut Technologies Ltd. http://www.recut.com Yes, they can be installed side-by-side. I have it installed side-by-side on my computer and it works perfectly without any conflicts. I even think there is a Version Selector (not something you have to install as it is installed by default) which will make sure your pro...

Why use Delphi rather than Microsoft Visual Studio?
Don't get me wrong. I like Delphi. Well, actually I cannot say that I do. I loved Turbo Pascal. I only recently (last year) started using Delphi and, admittedly, I haven't used it much; just played with it a bit. What I do use regularly is Delphi Prism. I am a classic ASP and ASP.NET build engineer by trade and the programming part of my job (about 30%) is all about .NET and Visual Basic .NET [note]. ([note] Visual Basic _is_ cool. At least it's cooler than not making any money.) I got into Delphi because of Delphi Prism and the (then) rumours that native Delphi would become ...

how can you use VB.Net without Visual Studio...
Good evening, I am doing some 'pro bono' work for a religious organization. The application is web based and is using VB.Net in a code behind manner with aspx files. I am using Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft IIS server. I have no budget for this application. Consequently, I can not purchase Microsoft Visual Studio. When I put all my classes in a single vb file, everything works fine. However, if I separate the classes into several vb files, I can not link them together. Since I am using an aspx file, I have not used the vb compiler. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks, Pat ...

Visual Studio cannot open a designer for the file because the class within it does not inherit from a class that can be visually designed
Hai friends i get the following error.... Visual Studio cannot open a designer for the file because the class within it does not inherit from a class that can be visually designed   when I open my project....   Any Idea for correction.........very urgent...what i have to do.....   Ambrose   10 March 2008     Winners Never QuitQuitters Never Win See if this thread helps? http://www.codeprof.com/dev-archive/17/12-45-178822.shtmMark replies as answers if they helped you solve the problem. http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedba...

Free Book
followup to grc.techtalk Free Book - Upgrading Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 to Microsoft Visual Basic .NET http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbrun/staythepath/additionalresources/upgradingvb6/ ----------------------------------------------------------- Quote ----------------------------------------------------------- Upgrading Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 to Microsoft Visual Basic .NET is is the complete technical guide to upgrading Visual Basic 6 applications to Visual Basic .NET, covering all upgrade topics from APIs to ZOrders. It shows how to fix upgrade issues with forms, language, data...

How to design web page using MS .NET Visual studio?
I have just started with ASP.NET and the problems I have are not related with programming! My problem is how to design a nice web page using .NET. For example, I have to build simple web page with user informations form. When I put some web form controls I can't edit my page in Front Page XP, because I can't select and manipulate web form controls inside Front Page!?! I don't expect VS to have design features but it must be managed somehow.... ADVICE PLEASE!!! Use VS.NET or try the free WebMatrix editor.Mike Schellenberger - MCAD also you can use dreamweaver MX 2004 for design , its gre...

How can I use MxDataGrid without SqlDataSourceControl in Visual Studio .NET?
How can I use MxDataGrid without SqlDataSourceControl in Visual Studio .NET? I need an example (code-behind) Thanx, Dragos Hi, You can retrieve data as normal data access technique without using the DataAccessControl, and then set it to the DataSource of the MxDataGrid as usual. This will be filled with data after the execution of .DataBind() method too. FYI: http://weblogs.asp.net/coltk/posts/30462.aspx Regards, What about paging and sorting?...

Re: Why use Delphi rather than Microsoft Visual Studio? [Edit]
Dominic Willems wrote: > I am such a visionary. :) yes, many of us have wanted this for quite a long time :) -- John Kaster http://blogs.embarcadero.com/johnk Embarcadero Developer Network: http://edn.embarcadero.com Features and bugs: http://qc.embarcadero.com Got source? http://cc.embarcadero.com ...

urgent, I can not run the .net system from the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005!!!
Before everything is ok. I can run the system from Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 and debug. but today I found can not!!! give me the error message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"  I used the vista system and .net 2.0   Thanks!!!  Could You provide a few more details?  Have you changed y ou Operating system to Vista or was everything working fine on Vista before.  Visual Studio 2005  is will not run on Vista Properly unless you install the service packs for Vista and when you run Visual Studio 2005 in Vista you should "Run as ad...

Web resources about - Can I use Visual Studio rather than Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer? - asp.net.free-for-all

Home - SharePoint Buzz
Turn on more accessible mode Turn off more accessible mode Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content To navigate through the Ribbon, use standard ...

Sharepoint Outlook Email Solution - EmailFiler
Tired of uploading emails to SharePoint one by one? EmailFiler is a SharePoint email solution that lets you drag emails to SharePoint from within ...

SharePoint Magazine
Your Premier Source for SharePoint Information

Microsoft SharePoint Workspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2010 (14.0.4761.1000) / June 15, 2010 ; 3 years ago ( 2010-06-15 ) where different organizations do not share a common security infrastructure ...

SharePoint - Collaboration Software for the Enterprise
SharePoint collaboration software helps simplify business intelligence, content management, search, and sharing for intranet and internet sites. ...

App Store - SharePlus: SharePoint Mobile Client
Get SharePlus: SharePoint Mobile Client on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

What is SharePoint? - lynda.com overview - YouTube
This web development overview explores what SharePoint is and how it works. Watch more at http://www.lynda.com/SharePoint-2010-tutorials/ess ...

International Airlines Group deploys Office 365 - IAG, lync, Sharepoint, Yammer, chief information officer ...
The International Airlines Group (IAG) has deployed Microsoft Office 365 as its business communication solution to enable anytime, anywhere collaboration ...

Six Reasons to Empower Your SharePoint Citizen Developers - CIO
Information Technology strategy insight for senior IT management - resources to understand and leverage information technology.

SharePoint-Yammer integration promising, but a long-term plan - applications, Microsoft, Yammer, software ...
CIOs and IT managers tracking the progress of the SharePoint-Yammer integration got more details about the road map this week, but the updates ...