Visual Studio 2005 Express and SQL server 2005 Express

Just a question from a Microsoft Freak.

Wil dotnetnuke in the nearby future support SQL 2005 Express and wil there come a "template" for modules for Visual Studio 2005 Express ?
0
apronk
1/2/2005 9:22:45 PM
📁 asp.net.dotnetnuke
📃 25171 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 14 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 864 Views

I guess that depends on what you understand by "nearby future".

I think SQL 2005 Express will work with the current version already (haven't tried however) and with such a big community I think maybe someone will eventually create a template ?

Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
1/2/2005 10:09:48 PM
Well, let me be the test case. I'l try it this evening and come back to you an the answer about SQL 2005 express. About the visual studio 2005 express template: any volunteers ?  ;-)
0
apronk
1/2/2005 10:12:35 PM
I think the template will have to wait until DNN can actually be used with VS2005 Express ?

;-)
Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
1/2/2005 10:19:44 PM
Sorry, am not a developer. I know how to install Dotnetnuke and how to create skins (Basicly webadmin tasks) but don't know how to develope webbased applications.

That's why I am interested in the visual studio 2005 express because Microsoft advertises with it that it's easy to use, even for a n00b like me ;)
Didn't know there could be compatibilty issues between VS 2005 Express and Dotnetnuke 3.
0
apronk
1/2/2005 10:27:56 PM
I think that until SQL 2005 Express reaches release candidate state -- and DotNetNuke 3.0 does the same-- its probably a little early to speculate.

But we do know that DNN is extensible enough that if the standard DAL does not work with 2005 Express, then someone could write a new DAL that will.
--Thegoldwater
Best,

Tim Patterson
0
thegoldwater
1/2/2005 11:08:25 PM
As far as I know DNN works with sql 2005 already. Strictly speaking as it's a beta product, and microsoft haven't released a go-live licence, you shouldn't use it in production. One caveat to note is that DNN does not work asp.net 2.0. If you install vs.net 2005 or any of the express products, they install .net 2.0, but also update the IIS mappings. If you change the iis mappings back to 1.1 (you can run both copies of the framework side-by-side) using aspnet_regiis, you can get DNN running under 1.1 using a database running under 2.0.

As for the vs.net templates, I'm sure if the existing ones don't work under vs.net 2005, Vicenc will have a look at creating new versions. He had the vs.net 2003 dnn 2.x versions updated to dnn 3.x versions, while we were still testing early betas.
Cathal
0
cathal
1/3/2005 2:14:42 AM
Any ideas when framework 2.0 will be supported by dotnetnuke ?
0
apronk
1/3/2005 12:27:48 PM
Ok, tried it with SQL Express 2005 and it did work although it did take some time.

Visual Studio 2005 Express however can't run on the same system because there are two versions of the .net framework 2.0 running.
Offcourse it's all in Beta so I expect it to be a lot more stable with the final release.
I hope you guys use the .net framework 2.0 in a release as soon after it's out of beta.
0
apronk
1/3/2005 7:22:44 PM
Some of the problems we've seen with .net 2.0 are around some of the directory names and their uses. As this are still fluid, I would not expect we will be looking too closely until a release candidate for 2.0 comes out, so as no to waste unnecessary time, though individual coreteam members will no doubt look at this in their own time. Please note, a lot of ground work is already done, not least with the current 3.0 efforts to ease transition. Shaun posted on this a while back.

Cathal
0
cathal
1/3/2005 7:59:10 PM
The problem is that ASP.NET 2.0 doesn't seem even close to being stable, and the APIs are still changing, so there's not to much point ot doing a LOT of work on 2.0 compatibility. This is, at least, my impression.

Matt
Matt Fraser
DotNetNuke Core Team
Liquid Platinum Technologies
LoanWeb
4Insurance
4Homes
0
liquidpt
1/3/2005 8:22:47 PM
" though individual coreteam members will no doubt look at this in their own time ".

Hey, we have own time too ???
;-)

Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
1/3/2005 8:44:19 PM
sure, We're allowed 30 minutes a day for sleep, you can use some of that time...:)
0
cathal
1/3/2005 11:31:13 PM
What, a FULL 30 minutes....you must have been promoted to inner core team!
0
RLyda
1/4/2005 3:30:36 AM
>>a lot of ground work is already done ...

You mean stealthily DNN 4.0 with ASP.NET 2.0 and SQL Express 2005 is already being prepared in Core? ;)
Great !!! We all love it. :)
0
IndianGuru