Optimized VS.Net Solution for custom modules + free modules

I like to leave the DNN core code untouched when I do my module development. Also, I like to work with a clean VS.Net solution which has my custom modules and none of the core projects. After playing around with it for some time, I have created a VS.Net Solution that allows me to do exactly that and I would like to share it with anyone interested. It's called "My Modules" and can be used to develop/debug DNN modules without requiring any core project references.

I have blogged about my solution in detail and also posted it for download. In the download package, I have also included the complete source to two modules:
- Speerio Random Image (displays a random image from a sub-folder) -- C#
- Speerio Weather Outlook (displays 7-day weather images for U.S. zip code) -- VB.Net
Also included is a control that looks up Stock Quotes. I just wanted to test my solution out with a good mix of C#/VB.Net projects that also called webservices so I quickly threw these together. And since they were done, I included them in the package.
Details and download here: My Modules
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet

thanks a lot Nik

I allready cooked up something like this myself but after checking yours is muc cleaner so I compiled on of my modules in it and it worked, very nice. Now I have to make some errors and test that other debug script.

Armand Datema
5 Skins, 4 SkinObject, 38 Containers, 2 Modules and more Euro 50 a year.
SchwingNuke
Offshore DNN and ASP.net development
Container Creator
0
nokiko
2/25/2005 11:29:08 AM
Thanks for this share.  Once again, I bow in your presence. ;)

iwonder
Mission, KS - USA
0
iwonder
2/25/2005 11:52:17 AM
Very cool!  A great "solution" that makes DNN development easier and faster.

The only thing I might add in the instructions for those newbies amongst us - and I include myself in that group - is:
* In addition to modifying the url in *.webinfo, also change any references in My Modules.sln.
* Make _DNNStub the startup project.
* Set Default.aspx as the startup page.
And it just works!
Thanks for sharing.
Simon
0
sitary
2/25/2005 2:20:29 PM
How relaible is the stub project? Will it have to be updated with each new release of DNN?

Also, I had an issue once where one of my modules wouldn't work because I didn't have the FreeTextBox provider project as a part of my solution. Do you think that would be a problem with this setup?
I'll test it out now and see how far I get.
Alex Dresko
I'm not a player, I just code a lot.
0
alexdresko
2/25/2005 4:07:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Simon: I'll change the instructions on the references, but I am a little puzzled by the startup project/page bit because I thought I had already had it that way. Hmmm...I must have messed it up before zipping up the package.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/25/2005 4:19:15 PM
The Stratup Project/Page appears to be a local setting within VS. Every solution I have moved to another system always required re-setting Startup. To my knowledge, the only option is to include the steps in the instructions.
0
mbblum
2/25/2005 4:55:21 PM
alexdresko,

The stub project does not have references to anything other than the projects within that solution (i.e. your projects). The only core file it references is Default.aspx. So the answer to your question is "no", it will not need to be changed with new releases.
About the FTB, I will test it out. Are you doing something FTB-specific in that module? If not, it may be better to use the HtmlEditorProvider so you don't have to worry about the editor during development.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/25/2005 5:01:27 PM
Maybe I missed this part of the instructions, but shouldn't you also add that one needs to add references to any related DotNetNuke assemblies. How else would you derive your pages from PortalModuleControl. And if you reference the assemblies in the DNN root /bin folder, wouldn't there be locking problems when compiling?

Also, you say you prefer to use web projects, but how do you create a new web project without creating a virtual directory in IIS? The VS.NET 2003 wizard always tries to create a virtual directory at the address specified in the new project dialog. Just curious.

Alex Dresko
I'm not a player, I just code a lot.
0
alexdresko
2/25/2005 6:14:21 PM
mbblum

Did some research and discovered that these values are stored in the Solution User Options (.suo) file which is re-written when the solution is opened on a different computer. Instructions it is....
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/25/2005 6:14:55 PM
The difference I see between your method and Bo's method is that your method allow you to use a web project, right?

SilverlightDesktop.net

A framework that allows you to dynamically load Silverlight modules into resizable draggable windows.
0
adefwebserver
2/25/2005 6:16:50 PM
Oh and I meant HtmlEditorProvider in my previous post, not FreeTextBox provider. I always use the built in EditControl.ascx in my modules. The module would compile fine, but wouldn't display properly on the live site because, I believe, the assembly wasn't being built. In your case, however, the DNN assemblies are never destroyed upon rebuild, so there's a good chance your solution avoids this problem.
Alex Dresko
I'm not a player, I just code a lot.
0
alexdresko
2/25/2005 6:19:03 PM
Works great!  One problem I'm having though is that when I try to debug (Debug/Process/aspnet_wp.exe), VS.Net never gets a handle to the running assembly (breakpoints have a '?' and it never breaks).

Did I do something wrong?
0
RCCrash
2/25/2005 6:45:52 PM
alexdresko: Any individual projects you create in this solution can reference any required DotNetNuke assemblies. This will not cause a problem. In fact the custom module projects I have included in the solution do just that.

The difference is that since you are not referencing any DotNetNuke *projects*, DNN essentially remains a black-box. There are no locking problems with assemblies. VS.Net, by default sets Copy Local to True when you reference an assembly. In my solution, I set this to False when referencing any core assembly so I don't have multiple of copies of DotNetNuke.dll and CountryListBox.dll, etc.
When I create new modules, after VS.Net does its thing, I run a little app I wrote that sits on my system task bar. It goes through the entire DNN folder hierarchy and removes any IIS application flags from the metabase, deletes web.config, global.asax and webform.aspx files it finds. I am so used to clicking it, I forgot about this. But it is only mildly annoying to do this manually via the IIS MMC.
rccrash: Most likely you are debugging with a release build. Check the drop-down on the VS.Net toolbar and make sure it's set to debug.

michael: I looked at the information Bo had on his site. Unless I am misunderstanding, his preferred approach is to create a Solution for each module. I have only one Solution. I am unclear on whether he prefers web projects or not. Clearly, I do because it makes development easier. If you Google around, you will also find the registry keys one can change so VS.Net allows web project files to be created in a class project, eliminating the need to do anything in IIS.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/25/2005 7:22:55 PM
off topic, sorry...

if I say reference a project VS never lets me anyhow... so how do you reference a project vs. assembly? As long as I am selecing the DotNetNuke.dll in bin .. is that all I care about?
Thanks....
0
brian_c
2/25/2005 8:12:13 PM

Nik,
Nice solution, I tried it out and it works great.
Good Job!!!
DotNetDoc
www.DotNetDoc.com

Get the Book!!

0
DotNetDoc
2/25/2005 8:12:47 PM

Nik,
Any chance of getting that Task Bar applicaiton you speak of.
Anything to make my job eaiser ;)
Thanks
DotNetDoc
www.DotNetDoc.com

Get the Book!!

0
DotNetDoc
2/25/2005 8:15:24 PM
Brian: VS lets you reference projects within the same solution and this is the best way to ensure that there are no build conflicts. But you are right in that you cannot reference an external project. Yep...just reference the DotNetNuke.dll assembly, set Copy Local to "False" and you're in business.

Doc: I'll tweak the app so it has a config option (right now it's hard-coded to my computer) and post it for download in the next few days.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/25/2005 8:24:26 PM
Thanks Nik. I will keep an eye out for it :)

DotNetDoc
www.DotNetDoc.com

Get the Book!!

0
DotNetDoc
2/25/2005 8:31:10 PM
I typically use the solution at www.dotnetnuke.dk. You can have an unlimitted number of modules in the solution. I have one solution with 15 custom modules for a total of 22 projects in the solution (includes the DotNetNuke projects). I agree that's way too many.. load and compile times are very long so I'm definitely going to try to get your solution to work.
Alex Dresko
I'm not a player, I just code a lot.
0
alexdresko
2/25/2005 9:32:13 PM
Hi Nik

I followed your blog and successfully set up the new solution.
I was also succesfully able to run and bring it up.
Then i created a new class library project in the solution in the folder DesktopModules folder and added a couple ofcontrols. Then when i run it and create a new module followed by creating a new defintion and try to add controls i do not find my project and its controls listed in the Source field of the screen Edit Module Control. I was wondering if you have any suggestions. Please let me know.
Thanks.
0
pathurun
2/25/2005 9:48:49 PM
Right-click on the project and check the Project Folder property. Make sure the path corresponds to the DesktopModules folder of your portal. Since the controls list is populated from the filesystem, my guess is that the project is created at some other location.

Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/25/2005 10:05:32 PM
Hi Nik,

Thanks for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it.
I checked the project folder property and it is pointing correctly to DesktopModules\MyApp\
Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.
0
pathurun
2/25/2005 10:27:26 PM
Hi Nik,

Very Sorry about that confusion, it is now resolved. Here is what happened:
I had installed dnn in 2 folders:
The virtual dir was referring to the installation on Folder1 while i was adding the new project to the installation on Folder2. After changing the vir dir to Folder2 i was able to
see the controls fine. Thanks a lot for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it.
By the way i am really looking forward for your book along with the other Dnn books.
I hope it will be out soon.
Thanks.
0
pathurun
2/25/2005 11:16:59 PM
Hi Nik,

Just wondering what are the steps to make use of DNNDebug.aspx?
I am getting an exception when i add my module on a Page. I was wondering how to exactly use the file you provided. Please let me know. It will be appreciated.
Thanks.
0
pathurun
2/25/2005 11:46:49 PM
Glad you were able to identify the problem.

I am working hard on the book. Since it has a lot of tips, tricks, code snippets, a full WebMail DNN client and a module licensing framework, it's quite time-consuming, but also a lot of fun.
The DNNDebug.aspx script came about from answering numerous forum posts with the same issues. If there's a problem in the ascx file, it is not easy to fix with the generic Parser error that you see in DNN. 99% of the time, if I see this error, I will fire up DNNDebug and it will tell me where I made a typo, or missed a closing tag in my script so I can fix it. Without seeing the raw ASP.Net error, script issues are often difficult to fix.
To use it, just open it in your browser and type in the path to your control (example: ~/DesktopModules/MyModule/Something.ascx). It can be any control...module, skin whatever that is giving an error. DNNDebug will attempt to load it and if it fails you will see the ASP.Net error that you can use to correct the script. You do this iteratively until there are no errors. Then you go back to testing your module in DNN. At that point, any failures you see are in code-behind and therefore traceable with the VS.Net debugger.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/26/2005 12:10:30 AM
Thanks Nik. That helps. Will be looking forward for the book.

Thanks.
0
pathurun
2/26/2005 2:00:41 AM
Nik,

Thank you so much for this and for the follow up answers to the questions. I look forward to your book as well!
0
johnvndnbrk
2/26/2005 2:58:22 AM
To overcome the long build process when compiling private assemblies, I have just switched off the build flag for all the projects except 'BuildSupport' and of course my PA's in the solution. I am using the 'Dekstop Modules' solution under 'Solutions' in the root.

Is there a snag with doing this (it seems to work fine for me) causing no-one to use this very simple method to run PA's?
0
tokkie
2/26/2005 5:48:19 AM
tokkie,

I don't think there is any single "best" method. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Your approach of customizing the Build Configuration is something I use too, but within the "My Modules" solution. The primary difference is that by adding your modules to the DNN solution file, you are changing a core file. My objective was to use DNN as a black-box and not modify any core files and also optimize the load/build process.
Both approaches will get you there...just different routes.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/26/2005 6:02:08 AM
Ok, you have me convinced :)

I have applied your solution and it is much simpler and cleaner, thanx. For upgrades it will also only be a matter of re-referencing.
0
tokkie
2/26/2005 9:19:18 AM
I may be wrong about this, but unless the core assemblies in future versions are strongly named (unlikely), I do not believe you will need to change references on upgrades as VS.Net stores only a file reference and no assembly-specific information.

Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/26/2005 3:33:18 PM
I'm very interested in this - I've not done much in VS.NET yet, just a bit, and did make a module in DNN 2.1.2 but some time back. So I need to develop a strategy.

I unzipped this into the main DNN folder, edited. Stopped IIS, cleared vswebcache, started IIS, opened DNN solution in VS and rebuilt.
I get about 20 of these:
'AddButtonConfirm' is not a member of 'DotNetNuke.UI.Utilities.ClientAPI'.
and finally one of these:
Warning: The dependency 'DotNetNuke.WebUtility, Version=1.0.1784.27915, Culture=neutral' in project 'DotNetNuke' cannot be copied to the run directory because it would overwrite the reference 'DotNetNuke.WebUtility, Version=1.0.1875.36624, Culture=neutral'.
But this is the version reported on the DotNetNuke.Webutilty.dll file in the /bin dir.
1.0.1883.34475
Call me confused. What did I do wrong?
Thanks,
Mike
0
pmgerholdt
2/27/2005 1:41:18 AM
Hi Mike,

1. >> I unzipped this into the main DNN folder, edited.
2. >> Stopped IIS, cleared vswebcache, started IIS, opened DNN solution in VS and rebuilt.
The first step is fine. The second I am not sure of since I don't mention this in any of the instructions. The "My Modules" solution exists so you don't have to open the DNN solution and can leave it untouched (basically it's an either-or proposition). By opening the DNN solution and rebuilding (step #2 above), you are essentially triggering the occurrence of the very issues that my solution is designed to avoid.
Use only the My Modules solution for your custom modules and none of these issues problems will occur.
HTH.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/27/2005 4:00:48 AM
Mike,

Not sure if this is the issue or not, but make sure all projects that reference DotNetNuke.dll have the LocalCopy attribute set to False. If this is set to true, it will cause shareing violations. Basically, click on the DotNetNuke reference and in the properties, you should see the Local Copy attribute.
Thank you Nik for a great addition to our DNN arsenal!
Jeremy
0
joldham
2/27/2005 5:53:18 AM
Yes, I set to false for the two projects that were throwing the error, and upon next rebuild, no such errors.

I've been able to avoid these in the past by clearing the VSWebCache with VS closed and IIS toggled off ... never had to actually change the setting. But not this time.
Nik, I guess I'm in the position of being basically a VS and VB newbie. I just haven't had the opportunity to dig in - my technology efforts are all elsewhere. So I lose .NET concepts before they even gel.
If you could field a newbie question - I have your "My Modules" solution open in VS. Say I start a VB Web Project. I can do that much - build a web project. How then do I get it to appear in DNN? Do I have to copy files to a zip file and load it via DNN's interface for modules? Or does it automagically appear in DNN by virtue of sharing its space? (That's why I recompiled DNN - I thougth your RandomImage Mod would become part of DNN ...)
And is there a difference between a module and a PA ... or is a module an instance of a PA - or is a PA one way of making a module while there are others?
Aside from just building from scratch, I've seen three approaches. Yours looks most simple and direct to me if I can get past the fact that I don't understand some essential basics. I've also looked at Bo's instructions and gone a ways down that road. But that really is extending the core, isn't it, rather than providing modules? Finally there are the code templates on DNNJungle.
Am I right in seeing these as three different approaches toward a similar goal?
Sorry for questions at this level. I'm anxious to get productive.
0
pmgerholdt
2/27/2005 2:29:55 PM
Hi pmgerholdt,

Good questions. They motivated me to do something I have been wanting to do for a while now...create an "Ask..." type section in my blog. So it's done...I now have an "Ask Nik" section in my blog and you can send questions to asknik ATnospam speerio.net. I will answer interesting questions I receive in the blog and also questions I see in the forum.
Disclaimer: The only thing I am an expert at is knowing that I know very little. The "Ask Nik" label is merely an ego-enhancement device for my own enjoyment and should not be construed to mean I actually have answers or that I am a Help Desk. If a question is interesting to me, I will do the research to find an answer and provide it so the information is available to the community.
Anyway, your question launches this new category of my blog. Here are the answers.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
2/27/2005 6:39:35 PM
Thanks, Nik. I read your blog and did profit from it. I have never installed a module by providing a definition before - it's always been uploading a zipped file. Even with the Survey module which I suppose I could have done this way.

I got your RandomImage module into DNN and it works fine. Then I ported it over to VB and made my own RandomImage_PMG. No errors at build time, and it pulled into DNN fine by appearances. When I actually tried to use the module on a page, then I got me some errors.
But that's the programmer's sign of progress. A new error.
Much appreciated. The concepts begin to settle in.
This is way different from classic VB script or PL\SQL. But cool.
0
pmgerholdt
2/28/2005 11:05:16 PM
Glad it worked for you and thanks for unwittingly kicking-off my "Ask Nik" section ;-)

I received a few emailed questions and will start posting replies/solutions later this week.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
3/1/2005 1:43:35 AM

Hi Nik,
I was wondering if your solution is unavailable as I tried to download it from the link on your blog?
Colin
Colin Mulcahy

Flextex Software

Skype: colin_mulcahy

0
Oyster
3/7/2005 6:04:50 PM
It's fixed and the file is downloadable again. Moved the file by accident.

If I can find some time this week, I will modify the package to include my IIS Multiplexer Win32 app that allows you to switch between multiple virtual websites on XP.
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
3/7/2005 7:05:03 PM
Nik,

Great idea. I've been really getting frustrated with all the different sln files in 3.x along with the BuildSupport project - it just never seemed to work easily for me. Your idea is so simple that it's too good to be true!
I used it with the DNN Jungle templates and it worked well. I've always used the class library approach rather than creating web applications for my modules. The templates use the class library and have built in all of the tweaks necessary to add user controls, etc. to the module. I'd be lost without all of the stubs and template files that they add.
From what I can tell, the templates work just fine except for having to rebuild the reference to the DNN project as a .dll reference.
All in all, nice job!!
mike.
0
mm53bar
3/13/2005 10:17:11 PM

Nik,

I am trying your solution.  However I have run into a problem when I add my project to your solution.

Error: The dependency 'DotNetNuke.WebUtility, Version=1.0.1923.28242, Culture=neutral' in project 'MyProject.SqlDataProvider' cannot be copied to the run directory because it would conflict with dependency 'DotNetNuke.WebUtility, Version=1.0.1923.25005, Culture=neutral'.

I get the same for CountryListBox and DotNetNuke.WebControls

My project was originally created using Vicenç Masanas solution from DNNJungle along with the CodeSmith templates.

What may I have missed?

0
liffey
4/7/2005 4:54:13 PM

I think this happens because you may have missed the step to set "Copy Local" to false on the DotNetNuke reference.

Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
4/7/2005 5:13:15 PM

 brian_c wrote:
off topic, sorry... if I say reference a project VS never lets me anyhow... so how do you reference a project vs. assembly? As long as I am selecing the DotNetNuke.dll in bin .. is that all I care about? Thanks....

The project you want to reference has to be a part of the solution you're working on.

Nik: I think you read something wrong. Bo's solution suggests one solution with multiple projects. I have one solution with 27 projects in it now (about 15 custom modules, the rest are core DNN projects).

Alex Dresko
I'm not a player, I just code a lot.
0
alexdresko
4/7/2005 5:34:42 PM

Hmmm....I was referring to this on Bo's site:

"Create a Solution for each module
This is now the way that I develop modules, and it works fine for me. ..."

My take is that he discusses different approaches and cites the above as his preference.

Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
4/7/2005 5:54:50 PM

Nik, You never cease to amaze me... We should nominate you for some sort of a Community Award !!! Thanks for sharing. You and others like you are the reason this community exists !

Maybe the core team should get a sponsor to donate a trip to Tahiti for Nik's Community Award Big Smile [:D]

Steve Walker
Senior Consultant
SharePoint Forums
SharePoint Architecture
0
Imsoccrman
4/7/2005 9:11:43 PM

 I'll donate a bottle of Colt 45...  and get this...  I'll ALSO... donate a bottle of Olde English!!

Geeked [8-|]

0
Revlis
4/7/2005 9:30:46 PM
 cniknet wrote:

I think this happens because you may have missed the step to set "Copy Local" to false on the DotNetNuke reference.

You are correct.

Thanks,

Declan

0
liffey
4/8/2005 12:30:26 PM

Thanks Nik for the setup.

I'm getting the following error:

Server Error in '/DNN3' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: ?

Source Error:

Line 37:       <add name="Exception" type="DotNetNuke.HttpModules.ExceptionModule, DotNetNuke.HttpModules.Exception" />
Line 38:       <add name="UsersOnline" type="DotNetNuke.HttpModules.UsersOnlineModule, DotNetNuke.HttpModules.UsersOnline" />
Line 39:       <add name="ProfilePrototype" type="Microsoft.ScalableHosting.Profile.ProfileModule, MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562" />
Line 40:       <add name="AnonymousIdentificationPrototype" type="Microsoft.ScalableHosting.Security.AnonymousIdentificationModule, MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562" />
Line 41:       <add name="RoleManagerPrototype" type="Microsoft.ScalableHosting.Security.RoleManagerModule, MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562" />

Source File: D:\DNN3\web.config    Line: 39

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'MemberRole' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562
 (Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/DNN3
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet.config).
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/dnn3/43f6c827/d478f380/MemberRole.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/dnn3/43f6c827/d478f380/MemberRole/MemberRole.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/DNN3/bin/MemberRole.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/DNN3/bin/MemberRole/MemberRole.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/dnn3/43f6c827/d478f380/MemberRole.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/dnn3/43f6c827/d478f380/MemberRole/MemberRole.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/DNN3/bin/MemberRole.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/DNN3/bin/MemberRole/MemberRole.EXE.

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

Kyle Parker

0
kparker
4/15/2005 5:05:29 PM

MemberRole.dll is missing from the "bin" folder.

Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
4/15/2005 6:12:16 PM

Hi, I seems to suffer from the same problem as RCCrash on page one in this thread.  What I do different is that I do not use http://localhost as dev domain on my Windows Server 2003 Ent.

This however works ok if I make my own solution with DotNetNuke as default project insted of DNNStub.

Compiling in Debug, config.web is debug=true.  I'm administrator on the machine.. What can be wrong here.

I got to get this to work.. Love not being forced to recompile DNN all the time.

Cheers, and thanks,
/Rob

0
Unfolded
4/17/2005 8:57:09 PM

Rob,

I suspect the project you are trying to debug is excluded from debugging in the active configuration. Go to Build -> Configuration Manager, change the Active Solution Configuration to Debug, and make sure the Build checkbox is checked.

Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
4/17/2005 9:29:02 PM

Hi Nik, thanks for taking the time to answer!

However, this is set, Debug is ON for DNNStub and the other projects I added.  Build checkbox is checked.

In the beginning it complained that I started the app not as localhost and needed to add the URL to the intranet trust.. Did so, and the error message changed to: "Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debuging on the web server."

Thought it had something with remote debuging to do, but I'm not sure how to verify.. It works ok if I replace DNNStub with DotNetNuke.. Strange huh!?.

Cheers,
/Rob

0
Unfolded
4/17/2005 9:49:14 PM

Thanks Nik!

Kyle Parker

0
kparker
4/18/2005 9:07:09 AM

Nik,

I am interested in the task bar app that "goes through the entire DNN folder hierarchy and removes any IIS application flags from the metabase, deletes web.config, global.asax and webform.aspx files it finds."

In a later post, you stated you would add a config option.  I not sure where to find this config option or how to run it.  If there is not a config option that does this, is it possible to get the task bar app?

dorrell

0
dorrell
4/30/2005 1:19:06 AM

Nik,

I downloaded and set up my Visual Studio solution following your instructions.

For the past couple of days I have thoroughly tested it out on making and remaking modules.

This is great!!!Yes [Y]  Many, many thanks!  I don't think I could have ever done this without your help.  Thanks again!

-doug, Powerhouse Data
0
DougV
5/5/2005 7:05:41 PM
Nik good stuff man! Easy to use prototyping app which makes development so much faster! Very cool.... Thanks!!

PEACE!!

::~~~~~ Another Dopeless Hopefiend ~~~~~::
0
brenth
6/27/2005 8:40:14 PM

Hi Nik and all,

This looks like a great idea and really hits the nail on the head for my project setup problems.

I was wondering if the solution is still available?  I tried the link to Nik's blog which seems like it maybe gone now, and tried the registered user download from his site after I signed up but it wouldn't access it.

Thanks for the great information, it's going to help a lot!

0
omhoge
10/18/2005 4:03:03 PM
Thanks a million Jepper, that finally got me there!
Am trying it out.

much appreciated
0
omhoge
10/19/2005 1:11:35 PM
Hi Nik ,
Can  we integrate the MyModules Solution you have described with Visual Source Safe . What is the best practice.
Let me know.
Thanks a ton
VAK
0
VAK
10/19/2005 3:54:05 PM
It's a standard VS.Net solution, so yes, you can integrate it with SourceSafe.

Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
10/19/2005 4:21:53 PM

Hi Nik ,
Thanks for the quick respone

Vak

0
VAK
10/19/2005 5:21:30 PM
Nik,

I'm new to DNN module development and have only limited experience with dotNet and VS.  There are many helpful resources but I discovered this thread and your Ask Nik site today and find your outlook and presentation to be among the most helpful.  You appear to be quite knowledgeable and your products speak for themselves.

I'm very much looking forward to reading your in depth discussions on module development.  So, when can we expect that book?

Michael

0
ebradley4
10/19/2005 6:17:33 PM
Maybe I missed it...

Where do I get the source?  I've checked Nik's blogs & registered with Speerio.  Still no code to download.
Suggestions?
0
jkergosi
10/20/2005 5:31:42 PM
Try this:

http://www.speerio.net/Default.aspx?tabid=334&nodeid=23

Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
10/20/2005 6:31:37 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Nik.

Unfortunately, even though I'm logged in as a registered user, there doesn't seem to be a link to a download;  just a link to your blog. (see below)

My Modules VS.Net Solution

This zip contains the files needed to create a DNN development environment that leaves the core package untouched, yet allows you to develop your modules without having to worry about file references. It is documented in detail on Peer I/O.
0
jkergosi
10/20/2005 6:52:08 PM
sorry, where can i download this vs.net project templates? could find the download link.
0
bbhermann

sorry but there is NO download ....

any advice ???

Thanks

AL

Alexander Becker
Strategic-Information
&
Security-Management
www.ABSULT.com
0
AL666
10/22/2005 8:35:45 AM
Hi Nik,

unfortunatly the link to your solution is broken :-(

Regards,
Fabian

0
fabianus76
10/22/2005 12:14:28 PM

I had been looking for the link for a couple of days too. Last night I went to the site and it was there. Not sure if a problem was fixed or if I finally just hit the right spot.
The link is http://www.speerio.net/Default.aspx?tabid=334
You must be logged in.
In the left pane expand Registered User Downloads > Resources for DotNetNuke.
For the last couple of days I just saw the zip description and a link to the blog but now there is a license agreement and you can get the zip.
Thanks so much Mr. Kalyani!

0
phabyn
10/22/2005 12:49:08 PM

It wasn't you...I accidentally deleted the link while doing some re-organizing. Embarrassed [:$]

Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
10/22/2005 2:27:36 PM
Thanks for keeping that link & info available to all - it is an important one! Smile [:)]

-doug, Powerhouse Data
0
DougV
10/22/2005 3:07:18 PM
Hello all,
I've been using the "My Solutions" model and it's been working really well.

One thing I haven't been able to resolve is various warnings like this one
"Warning: The dependency 'BKS_Quiz, Version=1.0.2119.27897, Culture=neutral' in project '_DNNStub' cannot be copied to the run directory because it would overwrite the reference 'BKS_Quiz, Version=1.0.2120.18514, Culture=neutral'."
Sometimes I get it for core DNN modules too.
I've set all the projects that reference DotNetNuke.dll to Local Copy = False.

What other settings are needed to avoid these "Warning: The dependency ... cannot be copied to the run directory .. Culture=neutral'" warnings?

much appreciated!
0
omhoge
10/24/2005 3:08:56 PM

I get the following when I compile a project with this solution:

"Could not write to output file 'fully qualified path of an assembly' -- 'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. "

MSDN says:

This problem may occur when one of the assemblies that you compile is larger than 64 kilobytes (KB) and one (or both) of the following conditions is true:

      • Your solution contains projects that are compiled to the same output folder.
      • The Copy Local property on one of the referenced assemblies or projects is set to False.

The thing is, the Speerio modules compile fine without the copy local reference.  When I copy local, they work, but I do not prefer this.  Any ideas?

0
jkergosi
11/11/2005 4:27:40 PM
Is the text from your orinal blog is still available, as the link doesn't work now. (Only relevant if the blog is not the same as the readme from my modules solution download).

http://blogs.speerio.net/peerio/Trackback,guid,97eed021-cef7-4f4b-873a-45c599687c16.aspx
0
Plowking
5/1/2006 10:24:13 AM
Plowking, the blog is the same as the readme. I was able to find the blog entry at http://blogs.speerio.net/peerio/2005/02/25/Speerio+My+Modules+VSNet+Solution+For+DotNetNuke.aspx

I am trying to use the My Modules solution, but am getting the following error:
Could not copy built outputs to the Web. Unable to add folder '../DesktopModules' to Web project.  Server error: '../DesktopModules' does not refer to a page or folder in this web.  It may be a page or folder in a subweb, or it could be a badly formed URL.

The /DesktopModules folder does exist in my web folder. I can't figure out where the error is coming from (it doesn't take me anywhere when I double-click it), so I can't tell if the problem is badly-formed URL. I would love some help!

Thanks!

0
dnngirl34

Integrating a custom module or any module into .net nuke with vis. dev. express
Ok I am using .net nuke and visual web developer 2005 express edition.  I am new to both. My problem is this...dotnetnuke is installed and working great and I have made changes and used the default modules for various pages on my new site.  However, now I have reached the stage where I need a module template where I can use asp.net to write my own code to manipulate data. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to incorporate a new module into the site.  I copied a module folder that I downloaded called createmoduletemplate into my DesktopModules directory.&nbs...

Create DotNetNuke Module Failed Using VS.net
Hello, I am trying to customise a module for dotnetnuke. When i open the Dotnetnuke Visual Studio.Net solution file (C:\DotNetNuke\Solutions\DotNetNuke.DesktopModules\DotNetNuke.D esktopModules.sln), I got an error The Selected file is not a valid Visual Studio solution file. Why is it so!!! Can anyone help me. I get the help on how to customise a dotnetnuke module from http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/VB.NET/Creating-Custom-Modules/1 Your Help is appreciated..............

How can I debug a custom module in VS from within DotNetNuke solution?
I'm using VS to build custom modules, but the instructions I've found so far, have me creating a solution that references DNN, and then uploads the private assembly. Which works, except that I would like to do debugging. Any thoughts on how or url to a good how-to? Thanks, David There are a couple of good tutorials available... http://www.tag-software.net/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=29 and... http://www.dotnetnuke.dk/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=104 Thanks Bryan, I appreciate your help. i posted info on a process i have worked out specifically for vs.net building on the ...

Convert a VS.NET 2003 solution to VS.NET 2002?
Hi, I am working on my personal site now, but I only have an evaultion version of VS.NET 2003, so I want to convert it to an VS.NET 2002 solution. Is it possible to do that?Mikael Söderström Found it :) http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20030425.aspMikael Söderström...

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

Dnn 3.x TextEditor in Custom module problem (vs.net?)
Okay, I need to find out if anyone else is having this problem or has had it with a solution. It is possibly a vs.net problem. I am converting a DNN 2 custom module that used the FTB called directly. I have converted to using the DNN HtmlEditorProvider via the dnn:texteditor user control. Yes, I have added the register tag to the ascx page. Funny thing is that when I add the dnn:texteditor control takes in the HTML portion of the ascx page in VS.NET, the code-behind says that it too changed by showing an "*" next to the code behind name. However in the code behind, the te...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Hi how to combine .Net module and Java module?
Hi,   I have developed two modules one in ASP.Net 2.0 and another one in Java technologies, so how to combine both of these into one. Is there any technology for doing so?ThanksVishwanath  Well, not much as an expert in Java, but i came upon this article, and i guess it will help a lot http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=23883 Cheers !!!RegardsRamzi--------------------------------------------Dont Forget to mark the post as answered once replied. Hi, Also have a look at infoq.com there you will find articles related to ASP.net and Java combination...

Customize RSS Module? or a custom module?
I would like for example that the rss module extracts info from different rss feeds on my page. but in a customized way For example the last article, the last new, the last event. To avoid upgrade issues consider creating a custom module. mm I havent realy checked th rss module but isnt the features you want replicated by a custom xsl file. Or you could check out the other rss modules that are out there RSSExtra It is possible in xsl to extract info from different xml <xsl:value-of select="document('http://www.asp.net/Forums/rss.aspx?forumid=90')/channel/tit...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

sub modules, loading custom modules into a parent module
GreetingsI am creating a support system module which will require the ability to add sub modules. For example, there is an admininstrators section in which suport requests are administered, anwsered, solved etc.There is to be another function in the admin section of the support module in which admins can upload a new support form template module, ie, say an admin wants to set up a form for users to lodge a request for new hardware, the form will display all required fields, graphics, validation etc for that request. Another support form template might be to have a new user set up on the acti...

IO modules causing issues in Net::DNS module?
------_=_NextPart_001_01CAD72B.3BF72B9F Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi! = I'm porting some software from a White Russian OpenWRT system to a new Kami= kaze 8.09.1 OpenWRT system but I am having some serious issues that I'm hop= ing you can help me with. = Old system Linux kernel 2.4.34 MIPSEL arch Perl 5.8.7 Net::DNS 0.48 IO 1.21 IO::Socket 1.28 IO::Socket::INET 1.28 = New system Linux kernel 2.6.26.8 MIPS arch Perl 5.10.0 Net::DNS 0.66 IO 1.23_...

Compiling CPAN modules with VS.net
Hi all, Some modules downloaded from CPAN need to be compiled in order to be installed and I know that I can use Visual Studio 6 (under Windows) for this task. Do you know if I will be able to compile those modules after I will install Visual Studio .net (7)? Or, if this is not possible, do you know by chance if I can have both VS 6 and VS.net installed on the same computer? Thank you. Teddy From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@fcc.ro> > Some modules downloaded from CPAN need to be compiled in order to be > installed and I know that I can use Visual S...

VS.NET 2003 to VS.Net 2005
Hi   I just converetd my VS.Net 2003 project to VS.NET 2005 using the convert wizard in Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project. It compiled with no build errors and a few warnings. When Iam trying to view the project, then it gives me 404 error. Can someone help ? Thanks Could you confirm you are using WAP (Web Application Projects) versus the built-in WSP (Web Site model)? If you have a project file after converting, then you are using WAP. Could you post the actual 404 error you got? Also, did you set your start page in the converted project?  -Mike-...

Web resources about - Optimized VS.Net Solution for custom modules + free modules - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Evolution-Data Optimized - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Enhanced Voice-Data Optimized or Enhanced Voice-Data Only ( Ev-DO , EV , EVDO , etc.) is a telecommunications standard for the wireless transmission ...

Social Ads Tool Debuts Optimized CPM Bidding For Facebook Ads
Facebook ad-management system Social Ads Tool introduced optimized CPM (cost per impression) bidding, which allows brands to take advantage of ...

Optimized CPM - Facebook-Entwickler
What is Optimized CPM? Optimized CPM allows an advertiser to prioritize their marketing goals, and...

Facebook Gauging Interest in Action-Optimized Campaigns
Some advertisers on Facebook are seeing a new pricing option called “action-optimized CPM” in the Marketplace dashboard. According to Facebook, ...

faroo_p2p: FAROO Search Page now optimized for mobile phones and tablets (auto detection) http://t.co/NkoQqwKc ...
faroo_p2p: FAROO Search Page now optimized for mobile phones and tablets (auto detection) http://t.

Cyberspace - Web browser optimized for reading and sharing on the App Store on iTunes
Get Cyberspace - Web browser optimized for reading and sharing on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

iPhone-Optimized Google Search Results - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Google is now serving iPhone-optimized formatting for results from searches initiated using the toolbar search field.

YouTube - Should I serve Googlebot content-only pages optimized for load speed?
Hochgeladen am 28.06.2010 Google announced page load speed matters for ranking. Should we be doing content-only pages for Google bots? (By removing ...

Amazon testing mobile-optimized shopping site ahead of tablet launch
This is interesting. Amazon appears to be testing a redesign of its shopping web site that appears to be specifically optimized for tablet browsing. ...

Amazon goes big with unlimited cloud music storage ($20/year) and iPad optimized web player
Amazon today announced unlimited storage for music in its cloud drive. The catch is you have to upgrade your overall Cloud storage (also includes ...