Migrating from Access to SQL Server Install

Are there any tools for migrating from an Access Install of DNN to a SQL Server Install (or vice versa) within a single version of DNN?  Specifically 2.0.4 or 2.1.2.

Thanks,
Karim
0
karimvirani

I haven't kept a thread on this topic. I think there is a tool (not free on snowcovered.com) and there are some previous threads on this topic with suggestions ... As usual the search lets the forum down... I try again tomorrow to find something... Anyone else?
Visit www.dnnnotes.com - index of DNN threads - hand picked quality threads.

TextLayout Module - create multiple column layouts easily
0
bobster234
7/1/2004 10:18:37 PM
Yarko wrote quite a long piece on this, unfortunately I can't find it but it is in the last three months. Access will upgrade to SQL relatively easily via Enterprise Manager/Data Import. However I believe a better way is to use Access (need 2003 I think) to actually manage the SQL db.

To do this you open your access db as a Project (or use save as Project to create one) - then connect the Access db to your SQL db. There is a wizard to do this using the Connection tab under Data Link properties. Once setup you can effectively use Access as a front end to your SQL db.
Regards
Regards, Nick

Free Css Skins! | nuke.nickclements.net
0
nbc
7/1/2004 11:08:05 PM
Is this the Yarko piece that you mentioned?

It's not quite what I'm after - the resulting SQL database would be using the Access DB table naming conventions. This would probably break subsequent upgrades. I was thinking more of a way to upload the data from a DNN MDB to a fresh - blank - SQL Server database of the same DNN version.
Right now it's for a one-time upgrade, but something that could be used regularly, possibly in both directions could be beneficial for folks considering building Access dataprovider support into their custom modules. I've read many posts denigrating Access as a dataprovider, but I think it might be the best solution for a vast number of small businesses that could use DNN for intra or limited extranets. More custom module support would boost this option.
0
karimvirani
7/1/2004 11:59:10 PM
I haven't been able to find such a tool on snowcovered.  Please let me know if you find anything.  Thanks,  Karim
0
karimvirani
7/2/2004 12:00:39 AM
<quote>However I believe a better way is to use Access (need 2003 I think) to actually manage the SQL db.</quote>

That can be done from access 2000 up.
Dave
0
DBuckner
7/2/2004 12:02:48 AM
Some helpful references that have covered this topic previously (not terribly long ago):

http://asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=597545
and
http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=519536
Hope you find these helpful.