Help! An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.

I got this message with no more information which can help me to continue to trace. I know this is from http://localhost/DotNetNuke/components/Exceptions/XMLExceptionPublishervb.vb and  Catch exc As UnauthorizedAccessException. I don't know which file is accidently set to READ ONLY due Host site and Loacl Machine download/upload transmission. Somebody can help me there? Please
0
williecai
5/6/2004 1:15:08 AM
📁 asp.net.dotnetnuke
📃 25171 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 4 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1787 Views

Willi, the file in question is in portals/_default/logs/

The message is referring to not being able to write out the exception. You will need to set the file permissions on the entire folder that DNN resides in to full permissions for either the ASp.NEt user if this is on XP or 2000, If you are running the portal on 2003, then you will need to use the Network Services account.

hth Bruce
DynamicVB.Net
0
bhopkins
5/6/2004 1:48:32 AM
You know, I've had this problem too and even though my permissions were set correctly, the error still occurred.

I resolved this issue by deleting the exceptions log file:
\Portals\_default\Logs\Exceptions.xml.resources
Hope that helps.
Richard

0
rthurgood
5/6/2004 12:57:20 PM
Create a Directory named Logs under portals\_default.
0
smartsource
5/6/2004 1:50:36 PM
It all helps. Thank you all very much!