DNN 3.1.1, why is it still using FTB 3.0.5000.1? The latest is 3.1.3300.0

Hi,

My DNN 3.1.0 portal site has a fair share of Firefox users, and hyerplinks and emoticons does not work. I know DNN, even 3.1.1 is using the old FTB 3.0.5. Is there a reason for this and also when I swapped the FreeTextBox.DLL in my site it temporarily broke the installation. I guess I should rebuild them from the source project, if I want to go to that on my site.

Is this correct?

In general I think that Firefox support is going to become very important.

Web Site: http://www.culturewave.net/portal

Thank you.

Manabu Tokunaga
Home of The Stoke
CultureWave.NET StokePORTAL
0
manabu

I know that the ftb3.0 does  have problem with Firefox Exploer.
When you update the content everything disappers.
Also I wonder whether DNN could get a better Editor.

0
vcfg
10/13/2005 6:11:53 AM

I was not clear on my original post when I read it back. But when I went to the FTB 3.0 web site (http://www.freetextbox.com/default.aspx) with Firefox, things that does not work in DNN's FTB does work, among of them is the Hyperlink feature. The latest version of FTB is 3.1.3300.0, so I really wished that the DNN 3.1.1 had been built with this or at least some later version of FTB that clearly addressed the Firefox issue.

I am very curious as to why DNN 3.1.1 is stuck with FTB 3.0.5, that's quite an old version of FTB.

Manabu Tokunaga
Home of The Stoke
CultureWave.NET StokePORTAL
0
manabu
10/13/2005 1:22:40 PM
Somewhere I saw an upgraded provider for the latest version of FTB  you might try looking around here for it
Dylan Barber
read my stupid blog http://codemypantsoff.com
Pants Optional!
0
codegalaxy
10/13/2005 6:46:02 PM
 manabu wrote:

I was not clear on my original post when I read it back. But when I went to the FTB 3.0 web site (http://www.freetextbox.com/default.aspx) with Firefox, things that does not work in DNN's FTB does work, among of them is the Hyperlink feature. The latest version of FTB is 3.1.3300.0, so I really wished that the DNN 3.1.1 had been built with this or at least some later version of FTB that clearly addressed the Firefox issue.

I am very curious as to why DNN 3.1.1 is stuck with FTB 3.0.5, that's quite an old version of FTB.

If you take a look at the FTB changelog  , you'll see that 3.0.6 only came out on 2nd August. Whilst we released DNN 3.1.1 on the 22nd, there had been substantial testing, as well as the effort to compile a build, hence we were still using 3.0.5 (it's also always a good idea to let a new release bed in for a bit before moving to it, as it may have problems - so 3.0.6 wasn't suitable)

This doesn't stop any user from upgrading independantly, as the editor using a provider pattern, making it easy to upgrade independantly of the core. See http://forums.asp.net/1080022/ShowPost.aspx for an example of someone who's done this already.

Cathal
0
cathal
10/13/2005 7:07:34 PM

Thank you. That "somwhere" is at this location:: http://www.freetextbox.com/downloadfile.aspx?id=1066

As I have indicated I have gotten the latest and I have tried to swal the DLL which did not work.

Though if you just swap the DLL on the installed DNN site, it will cause an exception.

My question though to the genereal DNN expert still is why it is still stuck in the old version of FTB. There must be some other reasons why they are stuck.

Manabu Tokunaga
Home of The Stoke
CultureWave.NET StokePORTAL
0
manabu
10/13/2005 7:08:58 PM
manubu, I'm guessing as a new user this post has been in the queue waiting for moderation for a bit. If not,  please see my earlier post for the answers you're looking for.

Cathal
0
cathal
10/13/2005 8:46:10 PM

I haven't fully tested FTB 3.0.6, but it seems to be working fine for me in DNN. If you follow the steps in http://forums.asp.net/1080022/ShowPost.aspx just remember some key things:

1. DON'T UPGRADE TO FTB 3.1. There are many complaints on the FTB forum from people saying that the Text property looses its value when the control is created dynamically. I found that to be the case in my quick testing, so I rolled back to FTB 3.0.6.

2. Don't overwrite the DNN provider's ftb.imagegallery.aspx file. The one that comes with FTB is a simple sample. The one in the DNN Directory \Providers\HtmlEditorProviders\Ftb3HtmlEditorProvider should not be changed.

3. don't forget to clear your browser cache. Otherwise, you'll be using stale Javascript and you'll have odd results.

Michael Levy
Are you ready to be heard? WildVoice Network

Equicast Media

Accidental Architect
0
EmperorWal
10/13/2005 9:08:41 PM

Cathal,

As you indicated, due to the moderation timing, I missed your post, but now I am really glad to see the answer. So it looks like in a later version of DNN we will get a later version of FTB and that's the answer I was looking for, and this is not a high risk item for the operation of our web site, I will opt to wait for the full DNN release.

You folks are doing great job in keeping this platform going. I am and my surfing community is getting a lot out of it.

Thank you very much again for the answer.

-- Manabu

http://www.culturewave.net

Manabu Tokunaga
Home of The Stoke
CultureWave.NET StokePORTAL
0
manabu
10/13/2005 9:18:59 PM
You might aslo consider switching to a different editor I personally use the FCKEditor and the provider is available here:
http://dnn.tiendaboliviana.com/web/

0
bschmitt14
10/14/2005 1:40:34 AM

Has anyone seen a fairly objective comparison of the different editors? fck, cuteedit, telerik, ftb, etc? I found this thread - http://forums.asp.net/892707/ShowPost.aspx. I also found an article cached on google (can't find the original) that had the following list (I added a couple that I knew about):

Capoferri
Cross-Browser RichText Editor
Cute Editor
Editize
EditLive!
FCKEditor
FreeTextBox
Helene
htmlArea
Mozedit
ProtoPad
RichText Editor
RichTextbox
Telerik RAD Editor
TextEditor component
(this is a generic list of browser based HTML editors. Not all run on ASP.NET. Not all have DNN providers - sorry for the confusion).

It would be really interesting to compile a list of editors with supported DNN Providers.

Michael Levy
Are you ready to be heard? WildVoice Network

Equicast Media

Accidental Architect
0
EmperorWal
10/14/2005 2:57:42 AM
I am really stoked to find out that there are alternatives and I can plug all these editors in. This is really great information!

Due to the nature of the topic and society I am dealing with, we have a good mixture of Mac and Windows users, so keeping all of them happy is very very important because the bottom line is that if they don't come back and write messages then I cannot maintain a good traffic and will affect the Ad click revenue etc., which is not much of a money but I am relying on that to keep my out of the pocket expense as minimum as possible.

Looking at the site usage statistics Firefox and Mac users are inching up recently, so for a site like mine more uniform support of browsers are important.

Manabu Tokunaga
Home of The Stoke
CultureWave.NET StokePORTAL
0
manabu
10/14/2005 5:10:58 AM
FYI: we will not be including ftb 3.1.33 in the next release of dotnetnuke, as it's not working correctly (it's failing when the control is within a container). We've made the author (Jon Dyer) aware of this, and he will have an update out shortly, but not quickly enough to make our next release. Coreteam member Jeremy White has said that he'll bundle this up into a provider when it's released, and probably post it on his website, so keep an eye there in the next week or two to get the new version.

Cathal
0
cathal
JWhite

3.1.0 to 3.1.1
Ok... I did the following: 1) made a backup of the web.config. 2) extract the 3.1.1 package over the 3.1.0 package at the host. 3) replaced the 3 keys in the web.config (the sql, MachineValidationKey, and MachineEncryptionKey) 4) I then browsed to the site. It took a little longer than normal to open up the site... no messages or anything.  I was looking at some things and I noticed that the log viewer doesn't look the same as another 3.1.1 install... and under host / host settings the DotNetNuke version showing is 3.1.0.  I would have thought the upgrade would have ch...

Automated cleanup tool to remove the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5
"I have posted an updated version of the .NET Framework cleanup tool that now contains support for automatically cleaning up the .NET Framework 1.0, the .NET Framework 1.1, the .NET Framework 2.0, the ..NET Framework 3.0 and the .NET Framework 3.5. This tool automates the manual cleanup steps for the .NET Framework 2.0 that I posted a while ago. These steps have helped solve most of the known .NET Framework 2.0 beta uninstall issues that I know of. In addition, the tool can be useful to return your system to a known (relatively clean) state in case you run into any .NET Framew...

DNN 3.1.0 to DNN 3.1.1 Upgrade problems
I'm did an upgrade, from DNN 3.1.0 to DNN 3.1.1All sites are downs.. I have a bunch of custom modules, and portals..I did the following when upgrading:backup filesystem + dbcopy old web.config to another location.copy install version of dnn over current installcopy machinekeys and sitesqlserver settings from old web.configand rename release.config to web.configbut i get the same errorAn error has occurred.An error has occurred.i got this as a link?..../Default.aspx?tabid=36&error=The+data+at+the+root+level+is+invalid.+Line+1%2c+position+1.&content=0Any help appreciated..thx th...

From 2.1.2 to 3.1 or 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 to 3.1

enigmail-1.0.1 for TB-3.0.x and enigmail-1.1.2 for TB-3.1.x available
Hi, enigmail-1.0.1 (TB-3.0.x) and enigmail-1.1.2 (TB-3.1.x) are available at http://enigmail.mozdev.org. Note for Seamonkey-2.0.x you can download and install enigmail-1.0.1. Have fun, Walter ...

Instructions for upgrading from DNN 3.1.0 to 3.1.1?
Can someone point me to some quick instructions or tutorials for upgrading from DNN 3.1.0 to 3.1.1? Start with page 11 of the DotNetNuke Installation Guide.  Use the guide that came with DNN3.1.0 and is located here YourDotNetNukeFolder/Documentation/Public.Pay close attention to the requirement to backup your web.config file.  I followed the instructions and had zero problems. Thanks.I have upgraded and things went very well....

Upgrading from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1
I just read through the very nicely done documentation for 3.1.1 and am unsure how to proceed with my upgrade from 3.1.0.(It is a clean install of 3.1.0 with no modules installed)Should I treat my 3.1.0 installation the same as a 3.0.13 installation and follow the instructions on page 8?----------------------------------------------------- In order to successfully upgrade you must follow the procedure outlined below             1.  Make a back-up copy of your existing web.config file (web.backup.resources).  We cannot emphasi...

Upgrade 3.1.0 to 3.1.1
Does anybody have a procedure that outlines the upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1.I would think it would be pretty minor, but I like it to go a smooth as possible.Thanks! a few steps:* modify your old web.config so that "autoupgrade" = false (this will make sure that no other visitor can accidentily cause the upgrade procedure to start while you are still uploading)* copy old web.config to web.backup.resources* in the install package of 3.1.1. rename release.config to web.config* from the old web.config copy the keys SiteSQLServer, MachineValidationKey, MachineDecryptionKey to your new web.confi...

Bug DNN 3.1.1 Upgrade from 2.1.2 -> 3.1.0 ->
Somewhere along the process, (I missed when) a portal upgrade created a problem with portal creation. The site is created fine, but the password for the admin is never correct. I have to use host to correct it. Anyone faced this ?Do you know the truth when you hear it? are you using the same hash keys in your web.config? this got me one time-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com Thanks, this helped me narrow it down and realize it was possibly the upgrade from DNN2 to DNN 3. Since there are no hash keys in DNN2 because it uses an encryption key, how did you solve it?Do you know ...

stalled or no download: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060425 SUSE/1.5.0.3-7 Firefox/1.5.0.3
I experience stalled or no download of all (not only specific web-sites) using firefox while another browser "Konquereor" is working normally. Firefox is looking up.. connecting... transfering and then stalled sometimes I get the message "I cant find the server", suprisingly because the status shows transfering, or a login window for the router shows up what has not been seen with the other web browser. A second Linux PC in the network is working as supposed, the router is wide open... connection settings are alredy checked. May be anybody has a hint? Ber...

stalled transfer Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060425 SUSE/1.5.0.3-7 Firefox/1.5.0.3
I experience stalled or no download of all (not only specific web-sites) using firefox while another browser "Konquereor" is working normally. Firefox is looking up.. connecting... transferring and then stalled sometimes I get the message "I cant find the server", surprisingly because the status shows transferring, or a login window for the router shows up what has not been seen with the other web browser. A second Linux PC in the network is working as supposed, the router is wide open... connection settings are already checked. May be anybody has a hint? ...

Upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 problem
I upgraded from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1, but made a mistake in the method of upgrading and need to know if I can "undo" my mistake.I created a backup of my web.config file then unzipped 3.1.1 over 3.1.0, the browsed to the site.  The upgrade proceeded without a problem.  However, I now discover that I should have copied specific keys to the release.config and then used that as my new web.config. I did that after the fact but DNN gives me errors when trying to start.What do I need to do to get the new release.config file working? Can I just delete the entry in the Versions table th...

Web resources about - DNN 3.1.1, why is it still using FTB 3.0.5000.1? The latest is 3.1.3300.0 - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Latest Solar News
Latest Solar News is a brand new source of information on the solar industry and renewables in general. Follow us and we will keep you up to ...

List of countries by real GDP growth rate (latest year) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Breaking News: Latest Business, Local, National & World News
JUST IN: Breaking news from Australia and around the world. Features the latest business, sport, lifestyle, entertainment, and technology news. ...

Facebook’s Latest ‘Acqu-Hire’ Is Mobile Content-Caching Service Spool
The latest “ acqu-hire ” by Facebook is mobile content-caching startup Spool , which announced over the weekend that it was shuttering operations ...

Breaking News, Current Events, Latest News and World Events at allvoices.com
Breaking News, Current Events, Latest News and World Events at allvoices.com

Asia Times Online :: Asian news hub providing the latest news and analysis from Asia
Asia Times Online. The Asia News Hub providing the latest news and analysis regarding economics, events and trends in business, economy and politics ...

News - Business News - Current News - Latest World News - Current World News - Pakistan News
Stay updated with Business News, Pakistan news, Current world news and latest world news with Business Recorder

ChinaTechNews.com - The Technology Source for the Latest Chinese News on Internet, Computers, Digital ...
ChinaTechNews.com - The Technology Source for the Latest Chinese News on Internet, Computers, Digital, Science, Electronics, Law, Security, Software, ...

Droid Life - An intense Android news community bringing you the latest in phones, rooting, apps, and ...
Samsung Announces the Galaxy SIII – 4.8″ HD Super AMOLED Display, 2100mAh Battery, 8.

International news - euronews, latest international news
Latest international news available as free video on demand - euronews tv, the international and European news from a European perspective. Stay ...