DNN 3.0 Custom User Registration - adding more info AFTER registration?

This topic has been discussed in great length in several threads as a lot of people (myself included) are looking for a solution for custom user registration. The new way of doing this in 3.0 is to use the new ASP.NET membership provider.

Here is a situation I wanted to get some opinions on. What about adding more information AFTER the user is regististered. The use case would look like this:
1. User enters information in the current registration form
2. User submits information and gets saved in membership table
3. A custom hook redirects the user to a custom login form after submitting
4. This custom login form asks user to enter username, password & verification code
5. After submitting, the user is redirected to the new "additional registration info" page. Since the user is now logged in, we have his/her userid/portalid info so save to a table
6. The user can then enter information such as DOB, interests, a photo, hobbies, etc. Since user has already been created, this information can be logged into a new table. Once completed, the user can be assigned a role.
This seems like a hack kind of way to do this but for a lot of solutions (such as mine) it seems like it might be easier. Especially if this can be done without any core changes. Wanted to get some opinions on this?
Jason
0
ikamiksok

Write your own membership provider and plug it in.

What you describe above seems like a setup of two modules. One is a redirection that sends them to a hidden tab based on role. The next is another module which collects data. This could be something like FormCreator or whatever. When they are finished you need a way to add them to a new role of Registerd-Whatever. That about sums up you "hack" scenario. There is a module that will be available from Kodhedz called Form generator, it may help you.

Chris Paterra

0
thecrispy1
2/4/2005 7:39:03 PM
Thanks for the advice Chris. I suppose I need to look into the membership provider further to understand what is involved before making a decision.

Your response clarifies exactly what I had in mind. It just seemed to me that in some cases this might be a better implementation of a registration process (both ways are after all collecting user data). I don't know enough details about the membership provider yet but was concerned there might be some disadvantages. Perhaps another questions to post....
I also was thinking of using the upcoming UCanUse User Attributes for DNN3.0. WHich I guess is a form generator already plugged into the membership provider.
Thanks,
Jason
0
ikamiksok