This topic has been discussed in great length in several threads as a lot of people (myself included) are looking for a solution for custom user registration. The new way of doing this in 3.0 is to use the new ASP.NET membership provider.
Here is a situation I wanted to get some opinions on. What about adding more information AFTER the user is regististered. The use case would look like this:
1. User enters information in the current registration form
2. User submits information and gets saved in membership table
3. A custom hook redirects the user to a custom login form after submitting
4. This custom login form asks user to enter username, password & verification code
5. After submitting, the user is redirected to the new "additional registration info" page. Since the user is now logged in, we have his/her userid/portalid info so save to a table
6. The user can then enter information such as DOB, interests, a photo, hobbies, etc. Since user has already been created, this information can be logged into a new table. Once completed, the user can be assigned a role.
This seems like a hack kind of way to do this but for a lot of solutions (such as mine) it seems like it might be easier. Especially if this can be done without any core changes. Wanted to get some opinions on this?