customizing custom modules

Hi!

First of all, I´m very unexperienced in developing modules, but trying to learn.
I have downloaded some modules including the source. Just downloaded Scott McCullochs NewsArticle module.
I would like to play with them and do some changes and modifications, but I do not really know how to do.
Can you give me some advise on best practises how to do? I am using VS.Net but i´m still a newbie, and I don´t know how to set up a development environment for this.
0
pehu

For DNN getting started tips for development, check out DNN Jungle.

As for setting up your dev enviroment, that depends on what you have for an Operating System and database server. If you have IIS, VS.Net install should really get you going.

Chris Paterra

0
thecrispy1

Customize RSS Module? or a custom module?
I would like for example that the rss module extracts info from different rss feeds on my page. but in a customized way For example the last article, the last new, the last event. To avoid upgrade issues consider creating a custom module. mm I havent realy checked th rss module but isnt the features you want replicated by a custom xsl file. Or you could check out the other rss modules that are out there RSSExtra It is possible in xsl to extract info from different xml <xsl:value-of select="document('http://www.asp.net/Forums/rss.aspx?forumid=90')/channel/tit...

Going from one Custom Module to Another Customer Module
I am having trouble going from one module to another module. My source module contains a calendar user control (Brainjar's better calendar).  In the day_render event of the calendar control, I add a label to each day and set the text property to an href tag: <a title="Drinks with John" href="http://localhost/DotNetNuke/TestPage/PrototypingEventListing/tabid/54/Default.aspx?itemID=54&status=calEvent">John </a> I am trying to leave the module with the calendar to go to another module's view control.  This link takes me to the view control of the new mod...

Converting an Ibuyspy custom Module to DotNetDuke Custom Module
Are there any instructions on what it takes to convert an IBuySpy Custom Module to DotNetDuke. .. What do I need to add or change. There is a developer whitepaper included with the DNN download I think or you can download the whitepaper at www.dotnetnuke.com. JeremyJeremy WhiteWebstone, LLCMy DNN Blog...

Custom Module with custom pages?
Hi, I am new with DotNetNuke and would like to add asp.net-pages I developed myself. These pages have their own functions and structure. I tried to do this with a custom module unfortunately with no result. Of course I could add a custom module and edit the content of this module. But this is not what I want to do. Is there any way to add my pages in DNN? If yes how?   Maybe I can create these pages directly in DNN again but there are a few questions / problems I see: 1. The website has to export some data in xml and a local application has to read this data directl...

Optimized VS.Net Solution for custom modules + free modules
I like to leave the DNN core code untouched when I do my module development. Also, I like to work with a clean VS.Net solution which has my custom modules and none of the core projects. After playing around with it for some time, I have created a VS.Net Solution that allows me to do exactly that and I would like to share it with anyone interested. It's called "My Modules" and can be used to develop/debug DNN modules without requiring any core project references. I have blogged about my solution in detail and also posted it for download. In the download package, I have also inclu...

Integrating a custom module or any module into .net nuke with vis. dev. express
Ok I am using .net nuke and visual web developer 2005 express edition.  I am new to both. My problem is this...dotnetnuke is installed and working great and I have made changes and used the default modules for various pages on my new site.  However, now I have reached the stage where I need a module template where I can use asp.net to write my own code to manipulate data. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to incorporate a new module into the site.  I copied a module folder that I downloaded called createmoduletemplate into my DesktopModules directory.&nbs...

Add custom module to dotnetnuke
When I try to add a custom module to dotnetnuke 3.1.0, i receive the following error: Er is een kritieke fout opgetreden.Input string was not in a correct format. This happens when I add a new definition to the module.What is wrong?thanks in advance Please refer to http://forums.asp.net/958230/ShowPost.aspx. You must put a value at the Default Cache Time.Angelos Xipolias...

How to show my custom module controls while developing custom template
Hi,         As one of my client project,I need to develop my own custom template with three tabs ,viz AboutUs,Menu,ContactUS and one more optional tab .        As of now, I need to develop the template .and client will apply that. Now if i use HTML modules,i can do that. But what if my template will contain some Custom module(viz. MyDemoProject). for HTML Module we do in this way  <definition>DNN_HTML</definition>              <modulede...

how to develop custom modules in dotnetnuke?
Hello everybody, I want to develop a simple DotNetNuke module using ASP.Net and VB. Can anyone please suggest me web tutorial for developing the modules? Regards, Sharanya What version of asp.net?  Are you aware of dnnjungle templates which use codesmith?  How about the ATGen SDK, reachable via my signature.  As for ATGen, this works with myGeneration (free) and framework 1.1, along w/ MS SQL.   Chris Paterra Bo has a good site explaining how to set up your development environment (if you're using Visual Studio to develop). Hi, How do you develop modu...

customize user login process a new custom module.
I am fairly new to DNN module developement and wonderring would it be possible to create a custome module for user authentication process? Basically I am working on an Intranet project, and its authentication process is slightly different from the stardard DNN user login. So would I be able to create a customized user login modle to "override" the core module in DNN?Many thanks Shane it possible - you might want to look at creating a custom membership provider like I am working on   see this thread http://forums.asp.net/987843/ShowPost.aspxDylan Barberread my stupid blog http:...

Customizing custom fields
I have quite a few new custom fields in a test installation of Bugzilla 4.0= ..2 on Ubuntu Server 10.04 (LTS). First thing I would like to do is change the text box layout on the create = bug screen. For instance, my custom fields may only require four (4) chara= cters and don't need to be as large / long as the default layout. Can some= one tell me where this template change or code change would be? Secondly, MOST of my custom fields will depend on the input of the first cu= stom field. For instance the first cf is a value usually input from 1-100,= the second is a state,...

customizing the customers tables
Hi, I am in the process of learning ASP.Net with C#. I would like to add a customer address field in the customer table in the database. I modified the customeradd Stored Procedure, the customersdb.cs file, and the register.aspx file and added an address field to the customers Table. Each file was modified by following the fullName code as a template and replacing fullName with Address. I have made no other changes and am stuck. I rec’d the following output error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review ...

DotNetNuke Custom Module Testenvironment ?
I´m looking for a efficent test environment for own custom modules: Actually I have to compile the module, load it into DNN each time in order to check if it work. I´would like to use a more efficient test environment similar to Java' JUNIT or own webapplication that imports the custom module in order to check it Does somebody have samples for such testapplication / classes ? Please Thanx for a hint. Greetings from Switzerland Kagel I use the configuration over at http://dnnjungle.vmasanas.net/ for all my custom module developmentChrisHammond.comEngage...

DotNetNuke Module with custom? controls on it.
I'm having a problem with a module I'm building and its relating to some kind of control(server, user, html,web etc - I dont know the difference between them) that I'm using. First of all, what is the difference between server, user, html, web, and custom controls? ok, now for my problem: The Scenario: I have a DotNetNuke module which is dynamically loading a bunch of controls. This works fine. Two of the controls I have are Projex.Controls.TextBox and Projex.Controls.SuperTextBox A TextBox is a Class-only (.vb) file that inherits from System.Web.UI.TextBox and has some ...

Web resources about - customizing custom modules - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Vliv VideoFun Editor – Video Editing & Sharing – Making & Customizing Videos with Graffiti, Voice & Music ...
Get Vliv VideoFun Editor – Video Editing & Sharing – Making & Customizing Videos with Graffiti, Voice & Music on the App Store. See screenshots ...

Best Android apps for personalizing and customizing your phone
... part of the song to use as a ringtone. You can either select it manually or select the numbered selections grouped by the app. After customizing ...

Google to prevent OEMs from customizing the UI on Android Wear, Auto and TV
Google is actively preventing OEM partners from adding customized elements to Android Wear, Auto and TV, according to a report over on Ars Technica. ...

Wired: Moto Maker Will Support Customizing The Moto 360 Starting In March
Motorola apparently intends to expand Moto Maker out to more than just smartphones. According to Wired, the company will start offering the ability ...

Customizing a Beautifully Minimal Android Screen
As someone trying to learn the ins and outs of UI customization as an Android noob, I often find myself over at MyColorScreen to browse through ...

Customizing the iPod Interface On Your iPhone and iPod touch
The tabs across the bottom of the iPod app on iPhone and iPod touch provide one-touch access to the contents of your iTunes media library on ...

Programming with Objective-C: Customizing Existing Classes
Describes elements of best practice when writing code with Objective-C using ARC.

Customers report long delays when customizing Apple's Mac Pro
Build-to-order models of the Mac Pro have seen significant delays in recent weeks, as the future of Apple's professional desktop line remains ...

Report: Batmobile lawsuit may have ramifications for customizing industry
Filed under: Aftermarket , Classics , Government/Legal , Celebrities While George Barris is preparing to sell his original 1966 Batmobile at ...

Tech Solves Another Minor Problem with Lock-Screen Customizing ‘Cover’
Fumbleless future.(Screencap) Get ready to be wowed by the power of modern technology to solve very minor pain points: TechCrunch reports that ...