Customize RSS Module? or a custom module?

I would like for example  that the rss module extracts info from different rss feeds on my page. but in a customized way

For example the last article, the last new, the last event.
0
luisvalencia

To avoid upgrade issues consider creating a custom module.
0
happyplace2020
2/21/2005 7:08:55 AM
mm

I havent realy checked th rss module but isnt the features you want replicated by a custom xsl file. Or you could check out the other rss modules that are out there
RSSExtra
It is possible in xsl to extract info from different xml

<xsl:value-of select="document('http://www.asp.net/Forums/rss.aspx?forumid=90')/channel/title"/>

so what you would do is in you xml variable define variables for each of the rss feeds you want to use something like

<xsl:variable name="feed1">http://www.asp.net/Forums/rss.aspx?forumid=90</xsl:variable>
<xsl:variable name="feed2">http://www.asp.net/Forums/rss.aspx?forumid=90</xsl:variable>

then create templates for each of the feeds

<xsl:template name="feed1">
<xsl:for each select="$feed1/channel"/>
code here
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

and then in your main xsl call

<xsl:call-template name="feed1"/>

It can be done with less code but usually the people I talk to know more about asp.net then xsl so thsi is a good way to start :)
Have fun and let us see what you come up with.
Armand Datema
5 Skins, 4 SkinObject, 38 Containers, 2 Modules and more Euro 50 a year.
SchwingNuke
Offshore DNN and ASP.net development
Container Creator
0
nokiko
2/21/2005 7:56:49 AM
It would be much simpler and easier, IMO, to do it in code than to have a bunch of different XSLT files kicking around.

0
Ed_DeGagne
2/21/2005 1:28:31 PM
mmm

the code i posted allows you to reference as many items as you want from within one xsl file. You can simply refererence 10 rss feeds from one xsl file, after all all the content is allready in teh rss feeds. So its only part of displaying and thats what csl is for, no need for a module modification ( altho in my eyes)
Armand Datema
5 Skins, 4 SkinObject, 38 Containers, 2 Modules and more Euro 50 a year.
SchwingNuke
Offshore DNN and ASP.net development
Container Creator
0
nokiko
2/21/2005 1:38:44 PM
I didnt find installlation instructios for RSS Extra. What should I do?
0
luisvalencia

Going from one Custom Module to Another Customer Module
I am having trouble going from one module to another module. My source module contains a calendar user control (Brainjar's better calendar).  In the day_render event of the calendar control, I add a label to each day and set the text property to an href tag: <a title="Drinks with John" href="http://localhost/DotNetNuke/TestPage/PrototypingEventListing/tabid/54/Default.aspx?itemID=54&status=calEvent">John </a> I am trying to leave the module with the calendar to go to another module's view control.  This link takes me to the view control of the new mod...

Converting an Ibuyspy custom Module to DotNetDuke Custom Module
Are there any instructions on what it takes to convert an IBuySpy Custom Module to DotNetDuke. .. What do I need to add or change. There is a developer whitepaper included with the DNN download I think or you can download the whitepaper at www.dotnetnuke.com. JeremyJeremy WhiteWebstone, LLCMy DNN Blog...

customizing custom modules
Hi! First of all, I´m very unexperienced in developing modules, but trying to learn. I have downloaded some modules including the source. Just downloaded Scott McCullochs NewsArticle module. I would like to play with them and do some changes and modifications, but I do not really know how to do. Can you give me some advise on best practises how to do? I am using VS.Net but i´m still a newbie, and I don´t know how to set up a development environment for this. For DNN getting started tips for development, check out DNN Jungle. As for setting up your dev en...

sub modules, loading custom modules into a parent module
GreetingsI am creating a support system module which will require the ability to add sub modules. For example, there is an admininstrators section in which suport requests are administered, anwsered, solved etc.There is to be another function in the admin section of the support module in which admins can upload a new support form template module, ie, say an admin wants to set up a form for users to lodge a request for new hardware, the form will display all required fields, graphics, validation etc for that request. Another support form template might be to have a new user set up on the acti...

Optimized VS.Net Solution for custom modules + free modules
I like to leave the DNN core code untouched when I do my module development. Also, I like to work with a clean VS.Net solution which has my custom modules and none of the core projects. After playing around with it for some time, I have created a VS.Net Solution that allows me to do exactly that and I would like to share it with anyone interested. It's called "My Modules" and can be used to develop/debug DNN modules without requiring any core project references. I have blogged about my solution in detail and also posted it for download. In the download package, I have also inclu...

Integrating a custom module or any module into .net nuke with vis. dev. express
Ok I am using .net nuke and visual web developer 2005 express edition.  I am new to both. My problem is this...dotnetnuke is installed and working great and I have made changes and used the default modules for various pages on my new site.  However, now I have reached the stage where I need a module template where I can use asp.net to write my own code to manipulate data. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to incorporate a new module into the site.  I copied a module folder that I downloaded called createmoduletemplate into my DesktopModules directory.&nbs...

Custom Module with custom pages?
Hi, I am new with DotNetNuke and would like to add asp.net-pages I developed myself. These pages have their own functions and structure. I tried to do this with a custom module unfortunately with no result. Of course I could add a custom module and edit the content of this module. But this is not what I want to do. Is there any way to add my pages in DNN? If yes how?   Maybe I can create these pages directly in DNN again but there are a few questions / problems I see: 1. The website has to export some data in xml and a local application has to read this data directl...

When to use Static Page Module, HTML Page Module, and Custom Module
I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using Static pages, the HTML Page Module, and the Custom Module.  Background:  I'm using the CSK to make an old HTML web site easier to maintain.  I have a bunch of old Photo Galleries (yes, several of them containting hundreds of images) that would take many days to convert to using the Photo Gallery module, so I'm researching ways to convert the old pages that isn't so painful.  I don't care if the new photo galleries (which will use the Photo Gallery module) match the look of the old ones, so converting the core HTML on t...

Custom desktop modules to be Admin modules?
Well, I have to put some custom desktop modules to the Admin level since they are all used by some other modules. For example: Module A,B,C are common modules, while Module X1, X2, X3,X4,X5..... are not common, and X1,X2,X3,X4,X5... use Module A,B,C. And I noticed that the way now DNN does with the admin tabs is similiar with normal tabs but they have no AdministratorRoles. And I also find that there is one file called admin.template in the portal folder. I can find all the definitions of the admin tabs. I simply do the same as what I find, the my own tab is there, the when I click,...

Custom module disables adding additional modules
Does anyone have any ideas why a custom module, after successful addition to a page, would them disable the addition of additional modules - core or custom? The history.... This is my first sizeable custom module. The code was developed as a normal web app and ported to a DNN module using the templates from Vicenç Masanas. The module works as intended. I am not doing anything exotic, just accessing database info, displaying it to the user, and processing input. I am using a few custom ASP.NET controls to display list data and provide a checked list box for user input. I did...

Is there a way to call a module from inside of your own custom module?
Is there a way to call an already uploaded module from a completely separate module? Yep. Depends on what you want. Easiest way is to add the existing module as one of the controls of your own module. You can then call it just like any other control in your own module (e.g. use EditUrl to format the link). ...

Custom module / error handeling in module settings
I am working on a custom module, and I need to do some server side validation in the settings page/control of the module, and if the validation fails I need to show the user an error message. I tried to use the DotNetNuke.UI.Skins.Skin.AddModuleMessage in the UpdateSettings() method, but the messages does not show up, in fact DNN sends me back to the view page. I have also tried to use the AddPageMessage, but with the same result. In the view part of the module the AddModuleMessage is working fine and showing messages on the top of the pane. Any help is greatly appreciated. ...

DotNetNuke Custom Module Testenvironment ?
I´m looking for a efficent test environment for own custom modules: Actually I have to compile the module, load it into DNN each time in order to check if it work. I´would like to use a more efficient test environment similar to Java' JUNIT or own webapplication that imports the custom module in order to check it Does somebody have samples for such testapplication / classes ? Please Thanx for a hint. Greetings from Switzerland Kagel I use the configuration over at http://dnnjungle.vmasanas.net/ for all my custom module developmentChrisHammond.comEngage...

how to develop custom modules in dotnetnuke?
Hello everybody, I want to develop a simple DotNetNuke module using ASP.Net and VB. Can anyone please suggest me web tutorial for developing the modules? Regards, Sharanya What version of asp.net?  Are you aware of dnnjungle templates which use codesmith?  How about the ATGen SDK, reachable via my signature.  As for ATGen, this works with myGeneration (free) and framework 1.1, along w/ MS SQL.   Chris Paterra Bo has a good site explaining how to set up your development environment (if you're using Visual Studio to develop). Hi, How do you develop modu...

Web resources about - Customize RSS Module? or a custom module? - asp.net.dotnetnuke

IPhone App Gabi Lets Users Customize Their Facebook News Feeds
iPhone users who want a different way of catching up with their Facebook news feeds have a new option in the form of Gabi , a $0.99 application ...

Facebook allows advertisers to customize headlines for page, app and event ads
Facebook will now let advertisers customize the headlines of their ads within the sidebar. This will be available via the API, Power Editor and ...

Glow Keyboard FREE - Customize & Theme Your Keyboards on the App Store on iTunes
Get Glow Keyboard FREE - Customize & Theme Your Keyboards on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Bloglines: Customize Start Page - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Tamar Weinberg's photos on Flickr. Tamar Weinberg has uploaded 4087 photos to Flickr.

[iOS Advice] How To Customize Spotlight Search Results- YouTube
Need more iOS Advice? Click here: http://apadv.co/ios-advice Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macmixing Like my Facebook page: h ...

Millennials push fast food industry to customize their meals
Millennials, it seems, want their food quick and customized and they are finding it with a new breed of restaurant called 'Fast Casual'. Today, ...

Hangouts now lets you customize who can contact you directly
Hangouts, since the beginning, has separated incoming messages into two categories. Either the app detects that you probably know the person ...

iOS 8 How-to: Customize and disable the contacts section in the multitasking interface
... thumbnail For more information about Apps , iOS 8 , and How-To continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "iOS 8 How-to: Customize ...

Want to customize your Taco Bell order? Now there's ta.co
... is catchy and easy to remember, but there's more to it than just browsing the same menu you'll find in the restaurant. Instead you can customize ...

How Emory Porsche Customizes Incredible Vintage Porsche 356s
Some view these new/old hybrids as heresy, but once you get behind the wheel of a souped-up piece of history, it's hard to argue with Rod Emory's ...