Cannot get rid of a custom module. How do I manually delete a module (not on any pages) in DNN 3.1?

I've gone through this nightmare to move a site from 2.1.2 to
3.1.  I have to say, on an aside, that if there's no better way to
upgrade than to delete all custom modules, DNN will not survivie in the
long term...at least the selling of custom modules won't.  It's
too much a high cost, beyond the price of modules...never mind there's
absolutely no regulation on testing these modules to ensure that they
delelte themselves correctly (and also delete all of themselves, like
the tables, foreign keys, stored procs, etc..  If a user isn't a
db expert, right now upgrading a full-fledged site from 2.1.2 to 3.1
would be something I wouldn't even want to attempt.  This issue
keeps being put to the side, but it's *out there*.  Just another
reason to bring the selling of modules into dotnetnuke.com, and have a
subproject assigned to ensuring these modules adhere to naming
conventions for downloads/upgrades, all the way to deleting themselves
properly.  I'd sign up as a member of said project from word
one.  Custom modules are like the wild west right now, and talking
about 'this is an issue for snowcovered', or 'this is an issue up to
each developer', or 'this is open-source so dotnetnuke should not get
involved in it', is all yada yada yada.  It *needs* to be
addressed, as anyone who has upgraded sites knows.

Why this tirade?  Well, I've been trying (and I supposedly have been doing database sql since 1991) to delete the magic gadget module.  Thus far, with no success.  Even after the upgrade, it shows up in my module defs.  I won't even go *into* the nightmare I had w/other custom modules deleting them...but they at least eventually died w/some EM tweaking and wholesale deleting of tables, folders, stored procs, etc..  And yes, I've deleted my cache, deleted my trash, stopped and restarted IIS, and gone to bed and woke up and worked on other stuff, figuring perhaps by some miracle, this "Magic Gadget" item in my Module Definitions will just f'in go away!  I even deleted each Magic Gadget control separately.  I deleted the Magic Gadget record in the Module Definitions table.

Still, this little evil beast will not go away.  There are no stored procs left, no magic gadget tables, no TabModules w/a magic gadget record in them, no recored for Magic Gadget in the Module Defs table as I've said.  And it's STILL LISTED as a Module I can add to a page!  Could someone please explain how this is possible, and how to manually delete a module that is most definitely NOT on any page?  Obviously I'm missing a table somewhere, since disconnecting the database and reconnecting it doesn't work either.  I've tried *everything*.  Hopefully someone here will have an idea I haven't thought of...which is most definitely likely. ;-)

0
aaava

what about modules table?
0
brian_c
6/15/2005 12:43:05 AM
 brian_c wrote:
what about modules table?

Hey Brian.  Thanks for responding.  I forgot to add a number of tables I've searched via Query Analyzer.  Ain't no record for magicgadget in Modules, Module Permissions, Module Controls, ModuleSettings, TabModules, TabModuleSettings, PortalDesktopModules, and any other table I could find the module id that *was* magic gadget.  It's not there.  But it still shows up in Module Definitions listing per Host->Module Definitions.  I sure would like to get rid of it, since it's something that is a 'confidence' thing w/3.1 in general.  I'm not getting automatically logged out anymore, which is good...no it's great!  But I've been hearing about these 'can't login anymore', and in trying to understand and learn as much as possible about the environment I'm working in, for the life of me, this magicgadget thing will *not* disappear.  Could someone explain how it manages to show up on my list of available modules on the control panel and in the Module Definitions list, when it is *not* there?  Is it a ghost? ;-)

Again, anyone that could help w/sql code that would manually delete a module...well, I now that's not possible, since stored procs could be named anything (and are! by some vendors)...if I could just understand why this keeps showing up, and better yet, how to get rid of the danged thing...I'd owe you for life.
0
aaava
6/15/2005 2:47:27 AM
have you emptied the recycle bin? what about restarting IIS? (or clearing cache)
0
tommcmur
6/15/2005 3:22:45 AM
Sounds like you have searched in most places. Did you try DesktopModules?

Running through the source code:

Host\Module Definitions calls the Stored Procedure GetDesktopModules, which runs this:

select *
from   DesktopModules
where  IsAdmin = 0
order  by FriendlyName

It should be there.. if not then something is screwy..

(And don't get me started on SELECT *...)

SQL Rule #1: Leave the SA password blank.
SQL Rule #2: Don't use WHERE clauses on DELETE statements.
0
FuzzyGuru
6/15/2005 3:34:15 AM
 FuzzyGuru wrote:
Sounds like you have searched in most places. Did you try DesktopModules?

Running through the source code:

Host\Module Definitions calls the Stored Procedure GetDesktopModules, which runs this:

select *
from   DesktopModules
where  IsAdmin = 0
order  by FriendlyName

It should be there.. if not then something is screwy..

(And don't get me started on SELECT *...)

Dang it fuzzy.  You the man.  That's *exactly* where the sucka was.  I'd checked every table I thought...even searched the sys tables to try to find it.  And it was hidden in the most obvious place.  Duh.  *Smacks head*.  Thanks dude.  Owe ya one.
0
aaava
6/15/2005 4:34:51 AM
Just remember:

It is always in the last place you look.  Big Smile [:D]
SQL Rule #1: Leave the SA password blank.
SQL Rule #2: Don't use WHERE clauses on DELETE statements.
0
FuzzyGuru

When to use Static Page Module, HTML Page Module, and Custom Module
I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using Static pages, the HTML Page Module, and the Custom Module.  Background:  I'm using the CSK to make an old HTML web site easier to maintain.  I have a bunch of old Photo Galleries (yes, several of them containting hundreds of images) that would take many days to convert to using the Photo Gallery module, so I'm researching ways to convert the old pages that isn't so painful.  I don't care if the new photo galleries (which will use the Photo Gallery module) match the look of the old ones, so converting the core HTML on t...

DNN 3.1 and DNN 3.2.1 What Broke 3rd party Modules
I am consistently having issues with a DNN 3.2.1 install that I never had with DNN 3.1. When I install 3rd party, data-oriented modules, such as XMod Remote Data and Advanced Data Grid, they don't work in DNN 3.2.1. The install goes OK, but I get errors when I try to add them as a module on a page. They work well in DNN 3.1.  Here is the ADG error. Message: DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Request failed. ---> System.Security.SecurityException: Request failed. at EfficionConsulting.AdvancedDataGrid.AdvancedDataGrid.BindData() at EfficionConsulting.AdvancedDataGrid...

Clean install of DNN 3.1.1 and I dont get any modules.
Well not completely true. I do get the User Module and the Search Modules. I dont get the announcements, links, table, HTML Editor and all the other basic modules for creating a site. This is not an upgrade, this is my first install of DNN. Reading the documentation leads me to belive that these modules should load. I have read the DNN Book and the installation chapter is very light on in explaining the format for the dotnetnuke.install.resources XML file. I look in this file and there is a desktopmodules XML tag, but its closed without any attributes. Can someone please point...

DNN v3.1
I am getting the following error when I try to delete the "Forum" module from the Model Definitions screen. In fact, I get this error if I try to delete any module from the def. screen. Invalid Folder name for Module. Cannot delete ModuleAny ideas? Secondy, if it came down to it... how can I go about "manually" deleting a module from DNN? (as opposed to "deleting" a module off of a specific page within your Portal)Thanks! :)...

DNN 3.1 Manually add Module Definitions
hello,i have upgraded my dnn 3.0.13 to 3.1. now i have some problems adding module definitions"Host" -> "Module Definitions" - "Add new Module Definition"Module Name:     Test_HelloWorld1Folder Name:     HelloWorld1Friendly Name:   HelloWorld1(My Module lies in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DotNetNuke310\DesktopModules\HelloWorld1\..)now i am trying to add an "New Definition"New Definition: HelloWorld1but i get an error when i try to click "Add Definition""A critical error has occurred. Input string was not in a correct format." Make sure...

3.1.1.
I am recieving an error that I cannot decifer and was hoping somone could shed some light on it.  An error has occurred.DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: Multiple controls with the same ID 'ctr366_DD' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs. ---> System.Web.HttpException: Multiple controls with the same ID 'ctr366_DD' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs. at System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingContainer, ControlCollection controls) at System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingCont...

DNN 3.1
I am a DNN newbie (I used to be a phpNuke person) - a coworker convinved me to switch. I am following the Seabury Design how-to on creating custom modules and I am running into a problem. I am not sure if this is a DNN 3.1.0 bug or something I am doing wrong. I created a blank module using the templates from DNN Jungle. I didn't add any code, I just created the two projects, set the approriate references and build paths. The projects compile just fine. BTW, I am writing these in C#. I go to the host menu to add the new module definition. I am able to add it to the first part, but...

How to delete modules on several pages, display modules on several pages
Hello, I've added module on all the pages of my website. Afterwards, I realized, I didn'twant to display it on all the pages but just on some of them. I would like to know if it is possible to delete this module on all pages, without doing it page per page. I've already remove some of them and it takes a long time to do it for each pages... I would also like to know if it's possible to add modules on several pages (not on all pages), for exemple on all the pages from a rubric ? Thank you in advance for any informations. Mathmax****************************************- I don’t write pl...

Dot Net Nuke (DNN)
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-b...

(3.1.1) Search for custom module
I am trying to have DNN index my info from a custom module - I have added everything like the developer guide showed and changed the supported features to 3 in the desktop modules but can not seem to get the re-indexing feature to pick it all up What might I have missed?Dylan Barberread my stupid blog http://codemypantsoff.com Check how you specified the businessclass.  That's usually where the problem lies. okay how should it be specified? this is what i did   Codegalaxy.DNN.Modules.LocationLink_PropertySearch.Business.LocationLink_PropertySearchController, Codega...

Module Definition on Dotnetnuke 3.1.1
I have made a new module and added it, but i can not add controls.I receive an error message: "A critical error has occurred.Input string was not in a correct format."Thanks for your help are you able to paste the code?-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com Make sure you enter a number (like 0) for Default Cache Time: before clicking the Add Control link  I thought 3.1.1 defaulted this value to 0 for you, so maybe there is something else going on. Dear AndyGett,My problem is solved with your answer. Thank you very much. Sama...

Dnn 3.x TextEditor in Custom module problem (vs.net?)
Okay, I need to find out if anyone else is having this problem or has had it with a solution. It is possibly a vs.net problem. I am converting a DNN 2 custom module that used the FTB called directly. I have converted to using the DNN HtmlEditorProvider via the dnn:texteditor user control. Yes, I have added the register tag to the ascx page. Funny thing is that when I add the dnn:texteditor control takes in the HTML portion of the ascx page in VS.NET, the code-behind says that it too changed by showing an "*" next to the code behind name. However in the code behind, the te...

DNN version 3.0.1 Multi page module question
Ok I have a module with 2 controls .The first is a view only where a users sees a grid and the second can only be accessed by click a button on the first controls grid.How in code for control 1 do I do a response ..redirect to that control #2 to show it.? It is not easy to describe that issue, without any code, but I try to explain the solution more in general.You must use the ItemDataBound Event of your grid to set a link Control (i.e ImageButton) for each record which has a unique reference to your record (in most times a itemid ).Now you can set the ImageButton.CommandName to a ...

DNN 3.1 Custom module PA
   Hi all! I am developing a custom module in DNN 3.1. I have the framework in place and everything compiles and displays fine in the portal. My problem is that the module needs to hit the database then based on the results, dynamically add other controls to the page (textnboxes, dropdown lists, etc.) I can dynamically add a dropdown list but when I go to populate it with the following code...                     Dim objListItem As ListItem       &...

Web resources about - Cannot get rid of a custom module. How do I manually delete a module (not on any pages) in DNN 3.1? - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Manually coded language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Manually coded languages (MCLs) are representations of oral languages in a gestural-visual form; that is, "sign language" versions of oral languages ...

Facebook Ads Manager Users Can Manually Select Dates When Viewing Potential Campaign Audiences
Users of Facebook’s Ads Manager can now manually select the dates when viewing their potential campaign audiences, rather than being restricted ...

Manually Build a Login Flow
The easiest and quickest way to implement Facebook Login for web is with the Facebook SDK for JavaScript, and we recommend you follow our separate ...

Manually - Manual Focus Camera on the App Store on iTunes
Get Manually - Manual Focus Camera on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Showing Apple employee #8 some of my artifacts. He remembers manually copying the Star Wars cassettes ...
jurvetson posted a photo: He has a rig that fed eight recoding tape drives from one master, and he would manually copy eight tapes at a time ...

[Jailbreak Advice] Sticker - Manually Dismiss / Customize Banners - YouTube
Sticker is available for $0.99 via the BigBoss Repository Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macmixing Like my Facebook page: http ...

Missing Malaysia Airlines plane: onboard flight computer manually overwritten
WASHINGTON - The first turn to the west that diverted the missing Malaysia Airlines plane from its planned flight path from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing ...

Astronauts to manually dock Shenzhou-9 with Tiangong-1
Astronauts to manually dock Shenzhou-9 with Tiangong-1 People's Daily Online Beijing, June 24 ( People's Daily Online)—Three Chinese astronauts ...

Danish Dynamos: Students Make 3D Printed, Manually Powered Lights
3D printing is exciting, and many are excited and look forward to not only learning about the technology but also trying their hand at producing ...

How to update Android Wear devices manually using OTA downloads
Last week Google released the latest version of Android Wear, 5.0.1 Lollipop. The latest update entails many enhancements and refinements, but ...