2.1.1 System Messages(used to be Exception Viewer)

Where is it?  I have looked and looked, i even see in the sql script where it deletes the Exception View from all the tables but i don't see where it adds the new System Messages to the Modules table.  Am I missing something? Or was it left out?
Andrew Ross

President

Dnn Coders
0
amaziah

Also after looking at both the sql script for both the Access and the SQL upgrade scripts it looks as if the the SQL script is missing all the upgraded GetSiteLog* scripts. In the Access upgrade it drops them all then adds updated ones, but the SQL script does not.
Andrew Ross

President

Dnn Coders
0
amaziah
6/5/2004 1:16:45 AM
System Messages isn't the old Exception Viewer.  The Exception Viewer was replaced with the Log Viewer which is now on the Admin tab.

System Messages is a means of centrally managing a lot of the text found throughout DotNetNuke at a portal level. This is found in Admin > Site Settings.

DotNetNuke Core Architect

0
bigwebmaster
6/5/2004 2:35:11 AM
Ok, but i don't see nothing in the Admin > Site Settings, just the same stuff i seen in 2.0.4. am i missing somethin?
Andrew Ross

President

Dnn Coders
0
amaziah
6/5/2004 2:37:36 AM
Some of the upgrade scripts aren't SQL...these portions are found in /Components/Upgrade.vb.  We needed to do this because of Jet SQL...some of the things we wanted to do would take a ton of code in Jet SQL, and some of the things we wanted to do can't even be done in Jet SQL.  These types of upgrades need to be done from the .NET code rather than the SQL.

This was the first release which really built onto the DNN 2.0 Access DataProvider. In doing so, it became very clear that working with Jet SQL can be pretty painful...limiting at the least. What Jet SQL cannot accomplish, we will accomplish in .NET code.

DotNetNuke Core Architect

0
bigwebmaster
6/5/2004 2:39:09 AM
And i don't see Log Viewer any where either.  All i see is the same Site Log, which say nothing about Exception errors or any errors at all :(.  I must be missing something.
Andrew Ross

President

Dnn Coders
0
amaziah
6/5/2004 2:39:41 AM
AHHH,  I do most all my upgrades through the Query manager cuz i do customize a couple things here and there.  Is there anyway i can have this script run without it runnin the SQL scripts?  I update the Versions table so that it does not run these update sql scripts, so now after looking at that file i see that i am missing some things from 2.0.0( which is just change the portal directorys from guid) and 2.1.1.
Andrew Ross

President

Dnn Coders
0
amaziah
6/5/2004 2:45:25 AM
As described in the Roadmap at DotNetNuke.com (http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Default.aspx?tabid=616), the Systems Messages feature is not a replacement for Exception Viewer nor does it function as any kind of logging mechanism.  Systems Messages are for setting the strings/values for various messages/texts that are displayed by the portal system when viewing site content.

I believe what you are looking for is the Event Logging feature also referred to in the Roadmap and the Release Notes that are packaged with the DNN distribution in the Documentation directory. As I have just upgraded my test portal to 2.1.1, it looks like the logging you are looking for is in the Admin menu under Logging and it looks very nice (kudos to the Core Team!).
Hope this helps.

0
mealoda
6/5/2004 2:50:06 AM
Any idea what could be causing this error?

Error: Log Viewer is currently unavailable.
DotNetNuke.ModuleLoadException: The 'exceptions' start tag on line '1' doesn't match the end tag of 'exce System.Xml.XmlException: The 'exceptions' start tag on line '1' doesn't match the end tag of 'exce
Digital-Dump.Net
0
joecool420691
6/5/2004 3:15:40 AM
woops, nevermind ;)

http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=594722
Digital-Dump.Net
0
joecool420691
6/5/2004 3:16:46 AM
Ok, I got everything upgraded nicely now, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  And i have to say that you all did a very nice job on this release these new features are awesome.  keep up the good work, as i have learned so much from just going thru the code and see how alot of this is done has really helped my understand the .net framework and how to do alot of different tasks.  I now have 3 clients using DNN on thier intranet sites, and will hopefully be using it on thier main websites soon as we get other stuff done :). Thanks again for all the hard work yall have done....

Andrew
Andrew Ross

President

Dnn Coders
0
amaziah
6/5/2004 3:21:03 AM
Also noticed the Log Viewer is only available in the admin menu of PortalID 0.

Created test child portal (PortalID 1)
Logged in as test portal admin: No Log Viewer option under admin menu.
Logged in as host: No Log Viewer option under admin menu or host menu.
Is this intended to be only for the host account or should it be accessible to portal admins?
Eitherway it should be available to the host account regardless of portal.
0
Smartsource
6/5/2004 10:57:04 AM
Ok, good catch

The problem is the admin.template in \Portals\_default
I'll update it so it contains the Log Viewer tab as well
Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
6/5/2004 11:12:40 AM
Here is an updated version of admin.template for everyone who cannot wait for the next release on this:

<portal>
<tabs>
<tab>
<name>Home</name>
<title></title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile></iconfile>
<parent></parent>
<authorizedroles>All;</authorizedroles>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>Admin</name>
<title>Portal Administration</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>True</disabled>
<iconfile></iconfile>
<parent></parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>Site Settings</name>
<title>Site Settings</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_sitesettings_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>Site Settings</title>
<definition>Site Settings</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_sitesettings_36px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>Tabs</name>
<title>Tabs</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_tabs_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>Tabs</title>
<definition>Tabs</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_tabs_34px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>Security Roles</name>
<title>Security Roles</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_securityroles_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>Security Roles</title>
<definition>Security Roles</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_securityroles_32px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>User Accounts</name>
<title>User Accounts</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_users_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>User Accounts</title>
<definition>User Accounts</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_users_32px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>Vendors</name>
<title>Vendors</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_vendors_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>Vendors</title>
<definition>Vendors</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_vendors_32px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>Site Log</name>
<title>Site Log</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_sitelog_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>Site Log</title>
<definition>Site Log</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_sitelog_32px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>Bulk Email</name>
<title>Bulk Email</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_bulkmail_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>Bulk Email</title>
<definition>Bulk Email</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_bulkmail_32px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>File Manager</name>
<title>File Manager</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_filemanager_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>File Manager</title>
<definition>File Manager</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_filemanager_32px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>Recycle Bin</name>
<title>Recycle Bin</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_recyclebin_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>Recycle Bin</title>
<definition>Recycle Bin</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_recyclebin_32px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
<tab>
<name>Log Viewer</name>
<title>Log Viewer</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_viewstats_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>Log Viewer</title>
<definition>Log Viewer</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_viewstats_36px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
</tabs>
</portal>

Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
6/5/2004 11:18:29 AM
Yep, you're right.  I didn't update the Admin.Template file which is used to create the admin tab when you create a new portal.

For an immediate fix, you can add this section into the Admin.Template file, just after the </tab> for the Recycle Bin tab.
<tab>
<name>Log Viewer</name>
<title>Log Viewer</title>
<description></description>
<keywords></keywords>
<visible>True</visible>
<disabled>False</disabled>
<iconfile>icon_viewstats_16px.gif</iconfile>
<parent>Admin</parent>
<authorizedroles>Administrator;</authorizedroles>
<panes>
<pane>
<name>ContentPane</name>
<modules>
<module>
<title>Log Viewer</title>
<definition>Log Viewer</definition>
<alignment></alignment>
<showtitle></showtitle>
<alltabs></alltabs>
<cachetime></cachetime>
<personalize></personalize>
<iconfile>icon_viewstats_32px.gif</iconfile>
<authorizedviewroles></authorizedviewroles>
</module>
</modules>
</pane>
</panes>
</tab>
EDIT: Geert you are tooo fast! ;-) Thanks.
DotNetNuke Core Architect

0
bigwebmaster
6/5/2004 11:18:46 AM
Dan & Geert.

Made the changes but the log viewer seems to only display records for host account when portal 0 is the active portal.
Brings up a blank page when accessed via host menu in portal 2,3&4.
Now I also added the module as an admin menu option and it appears to filter exceptions related to that portal for the portal admin. I should probably double check my setup.
*** update ***
I had manually edited tabs table and changed the parent tab for log viewer from admin tab (tab ID 6) to host tab (tab ID 7). This makes the log viewer display as a host tab menu item regardless of portal.
0
Smartsource
6/5/2004 11:26:30 AM
Hehe,

Must have beat you in seconds there :)
Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
6/5/2004 11:27:03 AM
If logged in as Admin, you only see log entries for the portal you are on.

If logged in as Host, you see all log entries and can filter by portal if necessary.
Dan
DotNetNuke Core Architect

0
bigwebmaster

Using .net 2.0 ws in .net 1.1
Hi,I have a ws written in 2.0 that returns a dataset. I need to use this ws in .net 1.1. Seems like having the ws returning typed datasets causing a problem.I am using c# for the ws. Does anyone have any idea ? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks, recruit A web service should be indifferent to which version of ASP.NET is producing and which version is consuming. Please post any error messages and the wsdl produced by the 1.1 consumer. Have you loaded WSE 3.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=018a09fd-3a74-43c5-8ec1-8d789091255d&displaylang=en) and mon...

Using .NET 1.1 dll in .NET 2.0
I have my old application on Visual Studio 2003, now we are planning to migrate to Visual Studio 2005, so is there a way to use my old dlls as references that were built using .NET Framework 1.1 in a new application that will be built using .NET Framework 2.0? I also have a question regarding the posibility to build code that was written in Visual Studio 2003 environment using .NET Framework 2.0 compiler?Mohammad Abu-AliMicrosoft Certified Professional Hi, Yes you can use your .NET 1.1 dll in your 2.0 app (but the other side is not true) For the last question, there is great chance...

dll s created using System.Reflection 1.1 conflict with .Net framework 2.0
HiWe have created an applictaion in asp.net 1.1and some dlls within the app using system.reflection and the application runs perfectlyWhen .net framework 2.0 is installed on my machine, the same application generate some error because they conlict with framework 2.0 files.Can any one help me on this ThanksSandy Failed to create XMLServicesCOM.Document Due to the following exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path. at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path) at System.IO.Path.NormalizePathFast(String path, Boolean fullCheck) at System.IO.Path.GetF...

.Net 1.1 RSA Cryptography code throws exception in .Net 2
I wanted to use the RSA cryptography classes and had some C# code from .Net 1.1  I wanted to encrypt with the private key and decrypt with the public key.  However, the .Net 1.1 code that works OK throws an exception if run in .Net 2 when trying to decrypt using the public key.  I have tried different  CspParameters flags but to no avail.  ANyone found the solution? CspParameters cspParams = new CspParameters(); cspParams.Flags = CspProviderFlags.UseMachineKeyStore; RSACryptoServiceProvider RSA = new RSACryptoServiceProvider(); string publicKey = RSA.ToXmlString(...

How to use .net 1.1 on webserver after adding .net 2.0 Framework
I have a web server with .net 1.1 installed on it. I am going to install the .net 2.0 framewrok on my server. How can I select the .net 1.1 framework for my existing applications that are already using 1.1 after I install 2.0. Someone told me about going onto IIS and in the properties there is a tab to select the version of .net, I have looked at this but it there is no tab to choose .net version, my web server is ms server 2000. Anyone any idea how to do this? Thanks macca macca:Someone told me about going onto IIS and in the properties there is a tab to select the version of .net, I...

Compiling an old 1.1 project to target .net 1.0 system using command line.
Hello All,  I need to compile an old asp.net 1.1 project and target an old system with 1.0 .net. I know there is some add-on for visual studio 2005 but I prefer to use a simplier way: command line.  So here is my command line:  C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\csc /t:library /out:mylib.dll /r:"assembly1.dll";"assembly2.dll" /optimize *.cs "c:\temp\*.cs"  That command line compiles my project fine and apparently runs fine, my only surprise is that the output file is 92Ko instead of 112Ko (with visual studio 2005 compiled two years ago). I wonder why since I...

Using both 2.0 and 1.1 on same system
I'm in an environment where developers have to be able to develop on two different projects using two different versions of .NET (2.0 and 1.1).  If I install the 2.0 framework and use VS.NET 2005 express, that should cover the 2.0 requirement.  However, can I then use VS.NET 2003 with the 2.0 framework and still have it churn out a package using the 1.1 framework?  How would I go about setting up a workstation to handle this? The frameworks are independent.  Install both and use VS 2005 for the 2,0 apps and VS 2003 for the 1.1 apps.  Remember to configure the corre...

Any advantages of migrating to .NET 2.0 on still using .NET 1.1 projects?
Sorry for the noob Q - but will I get any advantages in installing .NET 2.0 Framework alongside .NET 1.1 if I dont plan to upgrade my ASP .NET 1.1 web applications?I have a few servers that I will be installing the .NET 2.0 Framework so as to develop in VS2005, however on some servers that will not (at this stage) be used for .NET 2.0 apps and that I may not have the time to convert some VS2003 applications to VS2005, I was in the 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' kind of thinking and didn't know if installing .NET 2.0 would bring any advantages.TIA.  I happen to agree. If you don't nee...

How to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2?
I have 2.1.1 wokring fine and I have spent a lot of time making it just right but I want to make sure I have the latest & greatest so I am trying to get 2.1.2 to work so I can upgrade. When I try to set-up 2.1.2 I get a few errors such as: Could Not Load Skin: ~/Portals/_default/Skins/_default/admin.ascx Error: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\Temporary ASP.NET Files\dnn212\295dc47c\1861dacc\3z6nxty1.0.vb(159): error BC30560: 'admin_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'. Is there a simple way to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2? RDD Iff you have not made any cha...

EAServer 4.1.1 & JCE 1.2.1 Exception
I'm getting an exception related to some encryption with Jaguar. I've placed all the JCE Jars in the BOOTCLASSPATH but am still getting this exception: Jun 06 11:20:23 2002: PBEExample() caught exception 'java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError' with message 'null'. Jun 06 11:20:23 2002: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.SecurityException: Cannot set up certs for trusted CAs Jun 06 11:20:23 2002: at javax.crypto.b.<clinit>([DashoPro-V1.2-120198]) Jun 06 11:20:23 2002: at javax.crypto.SecretKeyFactory.getInstance([DashoPro-V1.2-120198]) ...

Converting System.Exception to System.Web.HttpCompileException in global.asax Application_Error
Hello.  I am capturing an exception in the above event handler using Server.GetLastError().  I would like to access the Results and SourceCode properties of an inner exception of type System.Web.HttpCompileException, but cannot do so, and am unable to implicitly convert a general exception to System.Web.HttpCompileException.  Any ideas?  Thank you in advance, Chris. Solved my own problem via the following code.  Feeling kind of embarrassed over the simple fix. if (lastErr.InnerException.GetType().ToString() == "System.Web.HttpCompileException") { ...

Web resources about - 2.1.1 System Messages(used to be Exception Viewer) - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Motor vehicle exception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The exception is based on the idea that there is a lower expectation of privacy in motor vehicles due to the regulations they operate. Additionally, ...

Podcast #42 – It’s The Exception That Proves The Rule
... Language and Usage , which was frustrated by the high number of certain types of questions that were coming in. Is this podcast the exception ...

RWW News: Marco Rubio Reiterates His Opposition To Rape Or Incest Exceptions - YouTube
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/marco-rubio-reiterates-his-opposition-rape-or-incest-exceptions Right Wing Watch reports on the extreme ...

Can Tunisia, the 'Arab exception', hold on to democractic ideals amid turmoil?
The terrorist attack on the Bardo Museum, in Tunis, represents yet another episode of senseless, barbaric violence in the name of Islam.

Bike thefts spike in exception to drop in crime
... level in nine years, with a 28 per cent jump in three months. Bicycle thefts have soared to their highest level in nine years, a rare exception ...

Many rugby films wind up in dead ball area but The Ground We Won is an exception
If rugby is the game they play in heaven, rugby movies generally come from a lesser place.

Most consumers better off after carbon tax scrapped – with one possible exception
Households are roughly $550 a year better off since the scraping of the carbon tax, but air travellers may wonder if they are being overcharged, ...

Men Need to Admit That Jian Ghomeshi Is No Exception
That men like Jian Ghomeshi are a terrible exception and if we as men simply stand up and say we are not as bad as that, or that we are not rapists ...

China, Thailand reach visa exception agreement
China, Thailand reach visa exception agreement People's Daily Online ... this at a forum on China's foreign diplomacy held in Beijing. Both ...

No exception allowed in graft crackdown: People's Daily
No exception allowed in graft crackdown: People's Daily - Ecns.cn ecns The expulsion of Ling Jihua from the Communist Party of China (CPC) ...