getting info from custom web.config for module

Greetings all,

I've been working on modifying an existing custom module that we've written to make it more flexible during deployment and am having some issues with the vagaries of inheritance of config files through the application folder tree.

I have created a custom web.config file in my DNN module folder under desktop modules that contains custom configuration information for the module so that we do not have to modify DNN root web.config when rolling the module out.  During page load, I request information from a custom section in the DNN module web.config via the NameValueSectionHandler and am unable to access this information.  I have verified correct XML schema and the information will be retrieved if I paste it into the root web.config.

To complicate the puzzle, I have several custom HTTPHandlers written and their information is stored in the relevant <httpHandlers> tag in the custom web.config for my module as well.  These handlers are required to get the page to load the first time and they fire flawlessly.

Has anyone run into this inability to get settings from a custom config file?  I'm puzzled that the httpHandlers section gets handled natively while I'm unable to use GetConfig for other valid settings tags.

homebru_trout

Customize RSS Module? or a custom module?
I would like for example that the rss module extracts info from different rss feeds on my page. but in a customized way For example the last article, the last new, the last event. To avoid upgrade issues consider creating a custom module. mm I havent realy checked th rss module but isnt the features you want replicated by a custom xsl file. Or you could check out the other rss modules that are out there RSSExtra It is possible in xsl to extract info from different xml <xsl:value-of select="document('http://www.asp.net/Forums/rss.aspx?forumid=90')/channel/tit...

sub modules, loading custom modules into a parent module
GreetingsI am creating a support system module which will require the ability to add sub modules. For example, there is an admininstrators section in which suport requests are administered, anwsered, solved etc.There is to be another function in the admin section of the support module in which admins can upload a new support form template module, ie, say an admin wants to set up a form for users to lodge a request for new hardware, the form will display all required fields, graphics, validation etc for that request. Another support form template might be to have a new user set up on the acti...

Module in Module

modules, modules

Optimized VS.Net Solution for custom modules + free modules
I like to leave the DNN core code untouched when I do my module development. Also, I like to work with a clean VS.Net solution which has my custom modules and none of the core projects. After playing around with it for some time, I have created a VS.Net Solution that allows me to do exactly that and I would like to share it with anyone interested. It's called "My Modules" and can be used to develop/debug DNN modules without requiring any core project references. I have blogged about my solution in detail and also posted it for download. In the download package, I have also inclu...

Integrating a custom module or any module into .net nuke with vis. dev. express
Ok I am using .net nuke and visual web developer 2005 express edition.  I am new to both. My problem is this...dotnetnuke is installed and working great and I have made changes and used the default modules for various pages on my new site.  However, now I have reached the stage where I need a module template where I can use asp.net to write my own code to manipulate data. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to incorporate a new module into the site.  I copied a module folder that I downloaded called createmoduletemplate into my DesktopModules directory.&nbs...

How to reference own web config setting from custom module?
Hi, If I add a connectionstring to a non-DNN database in the dotnetnuke web.config like so: <appSettings> <add key="connectionString" value="Server=localhost;initial catalog=DNN_PAsFromVideo; Trusted_Connection=Yes" /> <add key="strconnstrSP" value="server=DevServer;initial catalog=unrelatedDatabase; Trusted_Connection=Yes" /> </appSettings> How can I reference this from a custom module? In Components/Global.vb there is the following function Public Function GetDBConnectionString() As St...

Converting an Ibuyspy custom Module to DotNetDuke Custom Module
Are there any instructions on what it takes to convert an IBuySpy Custom Module to DotNetDuke. .. What do I need to add or change. There is a developer whitepaper included with the DNN download I think or you can download the whitepaper at www.dotnetnuke.com. JeremyJeremy WhiteWebstone, LLCMy DNN Blog...

Going from one Custom Module to Another Customer Module
I am having trouble going from one module to another module. My source module contains a calendar user control (Brainjar's better calendar).  In the day_render event of the calendar control, I add a label to each day and set the text property to an href tag: <a title="Drinks with John" href="http://localhost/DotNetNuke/TestPage/PrototypingEventListing/tabid/54/Default.aspx?itemID=54&status=calEvent">John </a> I am trying to leave the module with the calendar to go to another module's view control.  This link takes me to the view control of the new mod...

When to use Static Page Module, HTML Page Module, and Custom Module
I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using Static pages, the HTML Page Module, and the Custom Module.  Background:  I'm using the CSK to make an old HTML web site easier to maintain.  I have a bunch of old Photo Galleries (yes, several of them containting hundreds of images) that would take many days to convert to using the Photo Gallery module, so I'm researching ways to convert the old pages that isn't so painful.  I don't care if the new photo galleries (which will use the Photo Gallery module) match the look of the old ones, so converting the core HTML on t...

Cannot get rid of a custom module. How do I manually delete a module (not on any pages) in DNN 3.1?
I've gone through this nightmare to move a site from 2.1.2 to 3.1.  I have to say, on an aside, that if there's no better way to upgrade than to delete all custom modules, DNN will not survivie in the long term...at least the selling of custom modules won't.  It's too much a high cost, beyond the price of modules...never mind there's absolutely no regulation on testing these modules to ensure that they delelte themselves correctly (and also delete all of themselves, like the tables, foreign keys, stored procs, etc..  If a user isn't a db expert, right now upgrading a f...

Help getting portal registration info into custom module.
Hi, Can anyone tell me an easy way to reference the user registration info of a logged-in user in another custom module.I successfully created my custom module following a step-by-step, to capture additional custom registration data to pass onto another database.  The problem is I also need the portal registration data to pass along as well.I have tried copyping the code from the page that you would update user info, but it blows up on me.  I simply need to add references to populate those fields just the way that user.ascx does.Thanks in advance!-Matt Use the UserInfo object.. U...

Where to place custom HTTP Module and reference separate web.config app files

Custom desktop modules to be Admin modules?
Well, I have to put some custom desktop modules to the Admin level since they are all used by some other modules. For example: Module A,B,C are common modules, while Module X1, X2, X3,X4,X5..... are not common, and X1,X2,X3,X4,X5... use Module A,B,C. And I noticed that the way now DNN does with the admin tabs is similiar with normal tabs but they have no AdministratorRoles. And I also find that there is one file called admin.template in the portal folder. I can find all the definitions of the admin tabs. I simply do the same as what I find, the my own tab is there, the when I click,...

Web resources about - getting info from custom web.config for module - asp.net.dotnetnuke-modules

Muslim Woman Ejected From Donald Trump Campaign Event As Trump Supporters Chant & Shout Accusations
Tension is the order of the day when it comes interactions involving Donald Trump and Muslim-Americans . Indeed, the mutual disdain between representatives ...

Amazon was huge at CES 2016, and they weren’t even there
LAS VEGAS — There was no Amazon booth or glitzy Amazon keynote at CES this year, but the e-commerce giant’s presence was felt all over the place ...

Kanye Announces SWISH Release Date
It looks like Yeezy Season is going to be arriving in the dead of Winter this time around. After a string of new releases over the past few weeks ...

Game Of Thrones In Talks To Extend To Season 8
The end of Game of Thrones season 5 not only marked the potential end of Jon Snow, but it also marked the end in which future episodes will no ...

North Korea says South's propaganda broadcasts push situation to 'brink of war'
Reuters North Korea says South's propaganda broadcasts push situation to 'brink of war' Reuters SEOUL South Korea's loudspeaker broadcasts ...

Record-breaking 'Star Wars' movie opens in China
BEIJING (AP) — The record-breaking "Star Wars" opened Saturday in China, where it is far from certain to draw in enough movie-goers to knock ...

Police Shooting Probe to Re-Open After New Video Surfaces
Police shooting probe to re-open after new video surfaces in Salt Lake City police shooting

Robust Hiring in December Caps Solid Year for U.S. Jobs
As the economy added 292,000 jobs last month, the question is whether overall growth will remain strong enough to keep hiring steady.

Why Germany can't face the truth about migrant sex attacks by SUE REID
The attacks have sounded the alarm bell in Germany over the consequences of mass migration. Victim Michelle (pictured) described being surrounded ...

Full Episode: WN 01/08/16: Infamous Drug Lord 'El Chapo' Captured In Mexico
Philadelphia Police Officer Shot By Alleged Islamic Extremist; Could The Powerball Jackpot Hit $1 Billion?