Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Okay, I admit it -- I know nothing about .Net.

I'm a Visual Basic and ASP developer. DotNetNuke is my first tentative step into the whole ".Net Thing", and I'm looking for some advice...
What do I really need to be able to make some modifications, or new modules for DotNetNuke? Do I need the full, THOUSAND DOLLAR Visual Studio .Net 2003 package, or can I get away with the HUNDRED DOLLAR Visual Basic .Net Standard package?

Chameleon Systems, Inc.
0
csi95
7/31/2003 4:28:27 PM
📁 asp.net.dotnetnuke-get-started
📃 5241 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 7 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 3741 Views

You can use webmatrix, available here for free.

One of the drawbacks of webmatrix however is that it does not support code-behind pages (this is a visual studio thing), and project compilations. However, you can edit the individual files directly, and then use the mk.bat file supplied to perform the compilation for you.
Cathal
0
cathal
7/31/2003 5:43:44 PM
Okay....that's one option.  I'll look into that.

If I were to go the Purchase route, however, which of the two Microsoft products do I NEED to work with DNN?

Chameleon Systems, Inc.
0
csi95
7/31/2003 6:46:18 PM
I use the Visual Basic .NET Standard Edition ($100 version) without any problems.

Regards,
Bruce

Regards,

B.G.
0
bguthrie
7/31/2003 8:37:32 PM
That's very good news!

And that will allow me to create add-on modules, and tweak base code (if needed)?

Chameleon Systems, Inc.
0
csi95
8/1/2003 2:03:03 PM
Yes, you'll have full development capabilities.

Regards,
Bruce

Regards,

B.G.
0
bguthrie
8/1/2003 3:25:21 PM
The only limitations I have experienced in using VB.NET instead of VS.NET is that VB.NET lacks some of the database designer tools that are included in VS.Net.  However, you can easily obtain equal functionality by downloading the SQL server tools from Microsoft.

Unless you want to use C# or Java for coding purposes, I can't see any reason to buy the suite. If you are and only want to be a VB (and ASP) programmer, you'll be perfectly happy with VB.Net in my opinion.
Dave
0
hermitw
8/7/2003 5:26:55 AM
Excellent -- thank you, Dave.

I've done some research, and I think I'm going the VB.NET route. Should I find I need more in the future, I'll just upgrade to VS.NET.
Ironically, it's cheaper to buy VB.NET and an upgrade to VS.NET than it is to just by VS.NET by itself.......

Chameleon Systems, Inc.
0
csi95