Upgrading from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1

I just read through the very nicely done documentation for 3.1.1 and am unsure how to proceed with my upgrade from 3.1.0.

(It is a clean install of 3.1.0 with no modules installed)

Should I treat my 3.1.0 installation the same as a 3.0.13 installation and follow the instructions on page 8?

In order to successfully upgrade you must follow the procedure outlined below

            1.  Make a back-up copy of your existing web.config file (web.backup.resources).  We cannot emphasise enough how important it is that you have a backup.  If you lose the original value of the MachineKeys, then none of your users will be able to log in.

            2.  Once you are sure that you have safely backed up your web.config file, rename release.config to web.config.

            3.  Replace the following keys in your new web.config, with the values in your backup.

            SiteSqlServer

            MachineValidationKey

            MachineDecryptionKey

            InstallationDate (this may not be present in web.config, so add the key that is in web.backup.resources to web.config)

            4.  Make any other changes to web.config that you made to support additional providers etc.

You should now be able to browse to the site and trigger the Upgrade process.  Do not browse to your site unless you are sure that the MachineKeys in your new web.config are the same as they were in the old file that you backed-up.
--------------------------

Is it simpler than this?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Joe

0
juchytil

Thanks!

Following these instructions worked perfectly and the upgrade went smoothly.

Joe

0
juchytil

Upgrade 3.1.0 to 3.1.1
Does anybody have a procedure that outlines the upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1.I would think it would be pretty minor, but I like it to go a smooth as possible.Thanks! a few steps:* modify your old web.config so that "autoupgrade" = false (this will make sure that no other visitor can accidentily cause the upgrade procedure to start while you are still uploading)* copy old web.config to web.backup.resources* in the install package of 3.1.1. rename release.config to web.config* from the old web.config copy the keys SiteSQLServer, MachineValidationKey, MachineDecryptionKey to your new web.confi...

Upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 problem
I upgraded from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1, but made a mistake in the method of upgrading and need to know if I can "undo" my mistake.I created a backup of my web.config file then unzipped 3.1.1 over 3.1.0, the browsed to the site.  The upgrade proceeded without a problem.  However, I now discover that I should have copied specific keys to the release.config and then used that as my new web.config. I did that after the fact but DNN gives me errors when trying to start.What do I need to do to get the new release.config file working? Can I just delete the entry in the Versions table th...

Error after upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1
All, After upgrade my production server, I am encountering the following error: An error has occurred.DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: There are multiple root elements. Line 46, position 5. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: There are multiple root elements. Line 46, position 5. at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.ParseRoot() at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read() at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.ReadNoCollectTextToken() at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadCurrentNode() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)...

Help upgrade 3.0.1 to 3.1.1
  Server Error in '/dotnetnuke' Application. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identifie...

3.1.0 to 3.1.1
Ok... I did the following: 1) made a backup of the web.config. 2) extract the 3.1.1 package over the 3.1.0 package at the host. 3) replaced the 3 keys in the web.config (the sql, MachineValidationKey, and MachineEncryptionKey) 4) I then browsed to the site. It took a little longer than normal to open up the site... no messages or anything.  I was looking at some things and I noticed that the log viewer doesn't look the same as another 3.1.1 install... and under host / host settings the DotNetNuke version showing is 3.1.0.  I would have thought the upgrade would have ch...

Upgrading busy site from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1
Hi,I have a site that I've built for a client that has quite a bit of activity - regardless of the time of day or night.  I have a need to upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1.  There is a risk that user could hit the site while I'm FTPing the files to the server.  If so, could this cause problems?How have others handled this situation?  Ideally, I would to stop anyone from accessing the site until the FTP is finished and I have accessed the site for the first time (and hope the upgrade goes smoothly...)AlAl Williams If you have access to IIS you could simply change the def...

Upgrade prod. site from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1
Is there a best way to upgrade my production-site beyond offcourse making backups of the site and DB.-Should/can i use the install package. (with modified new web.config and locales.xml (i use additional danish languages))-Disable the site with renaming dotnetnuke.dll under the ftp-process.-upload dotnetnuke.dll and web.config as the last files.After upload of the last files - hit the site - and pray...Sincerely Uffe Someone please - is that the correct way to do it...?  hdsit wrote:Should/can i use the install package. (with modified new web.config and locales.xml (i...

Instructions for upgrading from DNN 3.1.0 to 3.1.1?
Can someone point me to some quick instructions or tutorials for upgrading from DNN 3.1.0 to 3.1.1? Start with page 11 of the DotNetNuke Installation Guide.  Use the guide that came with DNN3.1.0 and is located here YourDotNetNukeFolder/Documentation/Public.Pay close attention to the requirement to backup your web.config file.  I followed the instructions and had zero problems. Thanks.I have upgraded and things went very well....

DNN 3.1.1, why is it still using FTB 3.0.5000.1? The latest is 3.1.3300.0
Hi,My DNN 3.1.0 portal site has a fair share of Firefox users, and hyerplinks and emoticons does not work. I know DNN, even 3.1.1 is using the old FTB 3.0.5. Is there a reason for this and also when I swapped the FreeTextBox.DLL in my site it temporarily broke the installation. I guess I should rebuild them from the source project, if I want to go to that on my site.Is this correct?In general I think that Firefox support is going to become very important.Web Site: http://www.culturewave.net/portalThank you.Manabu TokunagaHome of The StokeCultureWave.NET StokePORTAL I know that the ftb3.0 d...

Bug DNN 3.1.1 Upgrade from 2.1.2 -> 3.1.0 ->
Somewhere along the process, (I missed when) a portal upgrade created a problem with portal creation. The site is created fine, but the password for the admin is never correct. I have to use host to correct it. Anyone faced this ?Do you know the truth when you hear it? are you using the same hash keys in your web.config? this got me one time-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com Thanks, this helped me narrow it down and realize it was possibly the upgrade from DNN2 to DNN 3. Since there are no hash keys in DNN2 because it uses an encryption key, how did you solve it?Do you know ...

Automated cleanup tool to remove the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5
"I have posted an updated version of the .NET Framework cleanup tool that now contains support for automatically cleaning up the .NET Framework 1.0, the .NET Framework 1.1, the .NET Framework 2.0, the ..NET Framework 3.0 and the .NET Framework 3.5. This tool automates the manual cleanup steps for the .NET Framework 2.0 that I posted a while ago. These steps have helped solve most of the known .NET Framework 2.0 beta uninstall issues that I know of. In addition, the tool can be useful to return your system to a known (relatively clean) state in case you run into any .NET Framew...

From 2.1.2 to 3.1 or 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 to 3.1

Web resources about - Upgrading from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 - asp.net.dotnetnuke-get-started

Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware - YouTube
If you're watching this video, you've probably seen the other videos that prove it is possible to upgrade from Windows 1.0 all the way to Windows ...

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Apple users face issues upgrading to iOS 9
Apple customers were facing issues while upgrading to iOS 9, which was released this morning in Australia, technology blog 9to5Mac reported. ...

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube