Error: Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.

Hi guy's

I downloaded the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express, as well as SQL Server 2005 Express, and I am following the instructions given by sbwalker for the DotNetNuke 4.0.0 Starter Kit and Templates. I've gotten stuck trying to create the first Database.mdf file, I get an error that says:

"Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251

Any ideas what I should do? I installed SQL Server before Web Developer, and as far as I can see it's working fine.

Thanx!
Anaci

0
anaci

Try deleting the directory SQLEXPRESS (Or better rename it say SQLEXPRESS_).

It solved my problem. This directory is at following location...

C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS

Also, make sure that you preference to the database is "sqlexpress" in the WMD (It should be , by default).

Look at http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=98346&siteid=1

cheers!

YaarPunjabi

Grewal
http://www.mycoolaids.com/
0
hgrewa
11/21/2005 10:18:40 PM

Hi there!

I was a bit pressed for time, so eventually I decided that inbetween installing and re-installing SQL Server Express and fiddling with all the files & settings something must have gotten messed up. I deleted the whole directory and the virtual directory, set it up from scratch following the exact directions in the installation forum, and whoallah!

Thanx in anycase for all the help, you guy's rock!

Anaci

0
anaci

connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly.
I dont have the SQL EXPRESS installed instead I have SQL Standard Edition.  I have two SQL Server instances installed.  1- UserLT (this is sql 2000)2- UserLT\SQL2005 (this is SQL 2005 named instance) But when i try to add a database to my VS website project I get the following error: Connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly. please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=4925 I went in Tools>Opetions>DataBase tools>Data Connection>Sql Server Instance Name (...

error creating mdf
Connection to SQL server files (*.mdf) require SQL express 2005 to function properly.  please verify the installation of the component or download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=49251   I AM GOING TO RIP MY HAIR OUT WITH THIS PROBLEM.  I have reinstalled both sql server express 2005 and VWD about 5 times with the same problem.  please, please, please someone throw me a bone here  and help me resolve this problem.  When I create a new EMPTY website and I rightclick on my website in the solution explorer and choose add item, I chooe SQL Database, I...

Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
Hi All, i am using tha conncetion string in web.config. <add name="MyLocalSqlConnection" connectionString="Data Source=.\SqlExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\SqlServer\OC00003SQL.mdf;User Instance=false" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>  Instance=false and true both i have used  but i am getting error like that. on my web hosting site  Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Serv...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all
When i enter log in, I get the following error page.    Server Error in '/' Application. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the err...

help. when using Profile GetPropertyValue, I get the following connection error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure
 Hi,I need some help. I am getting this error after I complete the asp.net register control and click on the continue button. It crashed when it tries to get it calls this Profile property((string)(this.GetPropertyValue("Address1")));When I look at the stack, it is coming from my ProfileWrapper class which adds user address, city, etc.. from a class which inherits fromSystem.Web.Profile.ProfileBase. From the stack, it is calling the System.Web.Profile and crashed when it tries to open a connection atSystem.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObj...

Error while establishing a connection to the SQL server 2005
Hi, I had an old web application created during asp.net 1.1 and it have a connection problem with the sql server 2005 when it is mirgrated to a new webserver with dotnet framework 2.0 platform. I have enabled the remote access(TCP/IP and named pipes) in sql server 2005, did all the neccessary things, check whether the TCP/IP is enabled, named pipe is enabled...  I created another web application using VS 2005. The database connection works perfectly well.This are the connectionString from the old web application.<appSettings>    <add key="ConnectionString" value=...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #3
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, Hi  I think you are trying to connect with remote server using windows authentication mode.Sql won't allow this ,so try to connect with server using sql authentication mode with(username and password)Happy ProgrammingShashi.  Check if this thread on the same discussion can help.http://forums.asp.net/p/1193329/2062685.aspx...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #6
hi there! I've uploaded my website at online server. which has its database on its local server. Now whenever Im trying to open the website. I get the following message instead of website. "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) " Im using sql server 2000 for database. Asp.net 2.0 Please hel...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #4

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #2
I get the following error and have been trying to figure out why I keep getting it.  Initially, I had placed my project under wwwroot folder and ran it under IIS and it gave this error.  Then I moved it to my local C drive and same thing.  I am sharing this project with two other co-workers and all our config files and code files are same...they don't get this error but I do.  I checked that SQL Server Client Network Utility has TCP/IP and the 'Named Pipes' enabled.  I thought maybe I have setting in the Visual Studio 2005 that I'm not aware of that&#...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allo
My site works fine in VWD2008 express, but I get this error when I try to use it on my live website. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.  According to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277  I am supposed to: 1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Surface Area Configuration. Ok, th...

Web resources about - Error: Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. - asp.net.dotnetnuke-get-started

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

Faith: Spirits lift in connection with home
We need to more adequately understand the spirituality of our unique place on earth.

... of Emergency Services) On Wednesday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County in connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.