Web User Control dynamically generated control events won’t fire.

I hope someone can give me a hand on this one.

This is what I am trying to do:

We need to create a report. We are using a Repeater control to generate a custom grid. The columns and data fields won’t be known until run-time.

I’ve created a WebUserControl which contains a repeater control.

At run-time, I dynamically create templates for the header and data items.

On the header template I want to use a LinkButton so that data can be sorted when the user clicks on one of the header columns.

In my Header Template class, I have a reference to a list of LinkButtons. This is the code for the InstantiateIn event:

public void InstantiateIn(Control container)

  {

    //Add header fields

    foreach (LinkButton linkButton in _headerButtons)

    {

      container.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl(
                           "<th scope=\"col\" nowrap=\"nowrap\">"));

      linkButton.Click += new EventHandler(linkButton_Click);

      container.Controls.Add(linkButton);

      container.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl("</th>"));

    }

    container.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl("</tr>"));

  }

  protected virtual void linkButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

  {

    throw new Exception("The method or operation is not implemented.");

  }

The problem I am having is that the event for the link button does not fire.

I have also tried subscribing to the Repeater's ItemCommand event in the Web user control so that I can raise my own event, but the page posts back without calling the ItemCommand event.

I know I am missing something, I have just not found it yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated it.

J.C.

0
jecastellanos

Hi J.C.

Double check where you are binding your controls. I've had issues like this before. Take a read of this it might help.

http://www.chemlock.co.uk/?p=12

This is usually due to the control not being bound at the correct time during the button press post back. Take a look and let me know if it helped. If not contact me with the full code and I'll take a look.

Hope this helps

Chemlock

0
Chemlock

Custom User Controls and dynamically created web controls events not firing
I have a peculiar problem and since I am just starting to use .net I am confident I am doing something wrong, but I can't see it and I've wasted a lot of time so far trying to figure it out. Hopefully one of you can figure it out. I have a custom User Control and I am dynamically creating a RadioButtonList. If I remove the custom user control from the page the RadioButtonList works as expected and correctly. However, once I add the custom control, it does not fire the SelectedIndexChanged event. Below is some code. If all I do is remove: "<UC:TOPMENU id="TopMenu1"...

Event not firing with Dynamic Controls in a Custom Web Control
I'm creating some LinkButtons on the fly (on Load) and they show up just fine.  The problem is that the AddHandler event I created is not firing.  I'm at a loss...have read a ton of articles today, but just can't figure this one out.  Please help a newb! :-)Protected Overrides Sub OnLoad(ByVal e As System.EventArgs) MyBase.OnLoad(e) EnsureChildControls() If Me.Page.IsPostBack Then Me.Units = Me.rblUnits.SelectedValue 'If there is text in the txtSearch TextBox, then search for the new loc...

Dynamic custom control on custom control
What I'm trying to do is create a module for use within a larger page.  The page itself is an order form, which will have typical payment info (address, credit card, etc.), and the ability to select what you are paying for.  Our clients will have several options in how they want the page setup.  They can either have a single form, or they can have each module on it's own page.  They can also have all the selected items fire in a single transaction, or have a seperate transaction for each item selected.  And they can limit the total number of transactions a person can...

Server Web User Control or Web Custom Control
Ok, I made a DataGrid I like, stuck it in a Web Control Lib, and then to my toolbar. Now I want to take my nice little control and add it to a greater control, maybe place some buttons around it etc. I could always inherit from it in a new custom control and dynamically add the buttons, but I thought about using a Web User Control. I thought I could easily create a Web User Control, drop on my grid and the buttons on a form, and expose some properties and events, but once I got into it, I got a feeling that this isn't what a Web User Control is for. When designing a control li...

Dynamic controls in web server control, events and postback
Hi, I have created 2 server controls. In one, I need to choose a control type and raise an event to notify the page about the selected type. In the other I need create a dynamic control of the type selected on the first control and render it. As an example: public class ControlTypeEventArgs : EventArgs{ public string Type { get; set; }}/* Control to choose a control type and fire the event */ public class ControlChooserControl : WebControl, INamingContainer{ private DropDownList controlTypes; public event EventHandler ShowControl; protected override void OnInit(EventArgs e) { base.O...

User Control controls not created when dynamically creating user control
  Have created a user control for displaying and editing a dynamically number of values. The user control contains two labels and an edit box. When dynamically loading the user control I get an error when the control itself tries to change setting on the fields within the user control.   Why doesnt this work? It works okay if I dont load it dynamically but create a user-control-instance in the aspx-page but thats no solution.   Thankyou!     Here is my code:   ucDataValue.ascx   <%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true&...

Dynamically loading user control to a gridview
Hello,I know there are many posts about loading user control dynamically and events which not fire. I tried  everything suggested but nothing helped. The difference in my example is that I am loading the user control into a specific line in a grid view after the user clicked on a button.So, the containing object in this case is DataControlFieldCell but it is a difference one on every click of the user.I tried to to set the ID of the user control on the page load of the control (this.ID = "MyControl1";) and I am loading the control on post back in the page_load of the parent pa...

Dynamic User Control Inside Tab Control
I have a web aplication with one web form and one user control. The form contains a tabcontiner with NO tab panels. On each load, one tab panel is dynamically added to the web form and the user control is dynamically added to the tab panel. The user control contains a button. It raises an event on its click event.  Once you click on the button, the event is never called. This is strange because the code works perfectly if the user control is dynamically added inside a panel instead of a tab control. Any ideas?    private void makeTabs() { try ...

User Control VB.Net x Web Custom Control
I was thinking in create a user control in VB.Net, and use it in a Asp.Net as possible? So I thought about it is gonna be better than make a Web Custom Control, so i thought again, nope... But i need to know better because a don't have a progress bar in asp.net for example.... Could Somebody tell me about??? in a reallity i know the asnwer but i would like to explain by myself... Thank's Antonio...

Web User Control to Web User Control...

What is the difference between a Web User Control and a Web Custom Control
Hi ,please could you answer for the following question with example. i know wht they are. but i want to know hw they are existing in web pages with simple example. What is the difference between a Web User Control and a Web Custom Control?  Thanks in AdvanceDilip    Check this out .... hope these might help you out... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893667http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa651710(VS.71).aspx itsUrDAY  Hi, See the following URLs: https://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fb3w5b53(VS.71).aspx(Introduction to Web User Contr...

Web resources about - Web User Control dynamically generated control events won’t fire. - asp.net.custom-server-controls