Custom User Controls v. Custom Web Controls

Hi!

Is it better for me to begin coding my controls instead of just designing them? What would the benefits be? I meen, i seem to be able to get all i need from just putting stuff together on an ASCX file but i'm obviously missing a huge concept here... please explain!

0
Callam
5/2/2006 4:24:39 PM
📁 asp.net.custom-server-controls
📃 3498 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 3 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1316 Views

Hi,

creating user controls is indeed easier than creating custom server controls because you can simply drag & drop other controls on the form, easily add events to it, ...

Custom controls however are better when you want to reuse them in several other projects. I like to create custom controls for small, reusable components that I can use in different projects and drag & drop them on a webform or user control.

Grz, Kris.

XIII
5/2/2006 4:43:56 PM

It depends on what you're doing.

A WEbControl is a grouping of server controls that are drawn on your page (ASCX file). They are only able to be used in the web project that they are created in.

THey are quick to make, and are relatively easy to manage.

IF you need a control that spans multiple applications, and you need complete flexibility over it, I'd suggest a Composite Control or a Server Control. These controls are created by code and compiled into assemblies (DLL's).

Pretty much Create a web control when you want to quickly create a group of controls that can be used throughout yoru project to preform a logical peice of work.

You'd used a Server/Rendered/Composite control when you need more flexibility, and you need the control to span multiple projects.

The Killer Ninja Coding Monkeys thank those that mark helpful posts as answers.

My Site | My Examples | My Blog

-1
RTernier
5/2/2006 4:48:18 PM

Ok!

Now i understand better, thank you! :) - Callam

0
Callam