Custom User Controls v. Custom Web Controls

Hi!

Is it better for me to begin coding my controls instead of just designing them? What would the benefits be? I meen, i seem to be able to get all i need from just putting stuff together on an ASCX file but i'm obviously missing a huge concept here... please explain!

0
Callam

creating user controls is indeed easier than creating custom server controls because you can simply drag & drop other controls on the form, easily add events to it, ...

Custom controls however are better when you want to reuse them in several other projects. I like to create custom controls for small, reusable components that I can use in different projects and drag & drop them on a webform or user control.

Grz, Kris.

XIII
5/2/2006 4:43:56 PM

It depends on what you're doing.

A WEbControl is a grouping of server controls that are drawn on your page (ASCX file). They are only able to be used in the web project that they are created in.

THey are quick to make, and are relatively easy to manage.

IF you need a control that spans multiple applications, and you need complete flexibility over it, I'd suggest a Composite Control or a Server Control. These controls are created by code and compiled into assemblies (DLL's).

Pretty much Create a web control when you want to quickly create a group of controls that can be used throughout yoru project to preform a logical peice of work.

You'd used a Server/Rendered/Composite control when you need more flexibility, and you need the control to span multiple projects.

The Killer Ninja Coding Monkeys thank those that mark helpful posts as answers.

My Site | My Examples | My Blog

-1
RTernier
5/2/2006 4:48:18 PM

Ok!

Now i understand better, thank you! :) - Callam

0
Callam

Web Custom Control within a Web Custom Control
I was wondering if this can be done and how. I've created a simple custom control that displays a header which is my first custom control. So I'm just a baby when it comes to this.. Within the header I currently have a property for breadcrumbs which is a string. What I would like to do is have the breadcrumb property  be a Link Button List. I did find a custom control of a Link Button List which is exactly what I wanted. My question is how can/do  I include this into my custom control? Can it done? How? Please help? I'm at a lose here.   Susan You should be able to do ...

Server Web User Control or Web Custom Control
Ok, I made a DataGrid I like, stuck it in a Web Control Lib, and then to my toolbar. Now I want to take my nice little control and add it to a greater control, maybe place some buttons around it etc. I could always inherit from it in a new custom control and dynamically add the buttons, but I thought about using a Web User Control. I thought I could easily create a Web User Control, drop on my grid and the buttons on a form, and expose some properties and events, but once I got into it, I got a feeling that this isn't what a Web User Control is for. When designing a control li...

Custom Web Control inside another Custom Web Control
Hi I created a custom web control (CusWebNew) that displays some textboxes by adding them to the ControlCollection of the webcontrol. I also created a custom webcontrol (CustWebButton) that inherts from Button control, and overrided the OnClick function. When I use CustWebButton on a regular web form, it seems to function correctly. However, when I added to be part of the ControlCollection of CustWebNew, it stops to work.   Any ideas why? Thanks Hey, What do you mean by stops to work?  Explain what you are trying to do with it and what it doesn't do.Brian"Trust in the...

Custom Control within a Custom Control
I have two individual custom controls say custom cc1 and cc2. cc1 is communicating to cc2 using event delegate mechanism.I have tested the behaviour by dropping cc1 and cc2 onto a Web Page and it works fine. I want to create a third custom control say cc3 which should contain both cc1 and cc2. So that if i drag and drop cc3 onto a Web Page i can acheive exactly what i am doing above. The problem is that i am not sure how to call/register a custom control within a custom control ? Any clue ? Thanks!! Hi, Do you mean adding custom control to custom control? I think you can use the same wa...

User Control VB.Net x Web Custom Control
I was thinking in create a user control in VB.Net, and use it in a Asp.Net as possible? So I thought about it is gonna be better than make a Web Custom Control, so i thought again, nope... But i need to know better because a don't have a progress bar in asp.net for example.... Could Somebody tell me about??? in a reallity i know the asnwer but i would like to explain by myself... Thank's Antonio...

What is the difference between a Web User Control and a Web Custom Control
Hi ,please could you answer for the following question with example. i know wht they are. but i want to know hw they are existing in web pages with simple example. What is the difference between a Web User Control and a Web Custom Control?  Thanks in AdvanceDilip    Check this out .... hope these might help you out... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893667http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa651710(VS.71).aspx itsUrDAY  Hi, See the following URLs: https://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fb3w5b53(VS.71).aspx(Introduction to Web User Contr...

Use Web Custom control or Web User control?
Friends,  I have a generic aspx page and its functions which is used in many .NET web application. The generic page contains a HTML Div control, server drop down list, server buttons, server textbox and it have different server and client functions to do its tasks for calling aspx pages in web applications. My problem is I do not know whether I should make that generic page as a web user control (but this is tedious because all other application folders must store frontpage aspx and code behind files of the generic page) or as a web custom control (This seems to be good beca...

Custom controls called from inside other custom controls???
I'm fairly new to writing controls in ASP.NET so, forgive the I am trying to create a base page class which will call 3 custom controls. This base page class will span across multiple projects hence the reason I am not creating user controls. These 3 custom controls are: 1. TopNav-uses render method to display an HTML table with graphics for top navigation. 2. ImagePairs-uses prerender method to add javascript code to manage what graphic is displayed in TopNav onMouseOver and onMouseOut 3. MgrHeader-uses render method to display an HTML table with s...

Custom Control within a Control Control

Web resources about - Custom User Controls v. Custom Web Controls - asp.net.custom-server-controls

Obama pushes for gun control after Colorado shooting
"This is not normal," president says after gunman fatally shoots three people, including police officer, at Planned Parenthood facility

Brussels Pushes Gun Control In Wake of Paris Attacks
Europeans double down on gun control after terrorists murder defenseless civilians

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii U will likely support Wiimote and Nunchuk controls
Well this is interesting. Fans have been speculating as to the control schemes that will be supported in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ...

Mind-Control Bacteria Stop You From Eating Too Much
Gut microbes release proteins that stop the brain from thinking you're still hungry.

Control Your HTPC With Scavenged IR Parts
If you’ve built yourself a home theater PC, one of your highest priorities is probably coming up with a convenient control solution. The easiest ...

ICYMI: Even the AP couldn’t validate any of Hillary’s gun control nonsense
... – not 200 as she claimed . Asked to explain the discrepancy, Clinton’s campaign pointed to 2013 statistics from the Centers for Disease Control ...

Over-The-Counter Birth Control Empowers Women And Pharmacists In Oregon And California
Over-the-counter birth control is coming to Oregon and California. There’s an enactment of new laws on the horizon that will allow pharmacists ...

Women in California and Oregon Will be Able to Get Birth Control Directly From Pharmacists
... new laws in California and Oregon will allow women to forgo with a visit to the gynecologist in order to obtain a prescription for birth control. ...

China credit card capital controls fact of the day
Chinese billionaire Liu Yiqian, who doesn’t exactly struggle to afford a plane ticket, can now likely fly free, in first class, with his whole ...