How do I deploy an application using crystal reports/install crystal reports?

First of all:

C# .NET framework 1.1, IIS 6.0, XP SP1, Windows forms - not ASP.NET but I don't see how it would make a difference

My Situation:

 I am tasked with adding to an application the ability to generate a crystal report.  It currently has nothing to do with them.

The application runs on an XP system with .NET 1.1 installed but lord only knows how it was installed on there (the guy that set it up is long gone and from past experience with his work I think he was just guessing anyways)

In an attempt to see if crystal reports was installed, I wrote a quick test forms application which does nothing but generate a report with some text on it.  I compiled it for release and moved over the following files

  • The executable
  • CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll
  • CrystalDecisions .ReportSource.dll
  • CrystalDecisions.Shared.dll
  • CrystalKeyCodeLib.dll

I get the following error when trying to run the program:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): COM object with CLSID {D...B} is either not valid or not registered.

My conclusion: I need to somehow install crystal reports on the system.

So question 1: is this correct?  I can find notoriously little information on it.

And then of course question 2: How do I go about doing this?

I found these articles on msdn that looks promising: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms314038(VS.71).aspx but I have no idea what they mean when they say you must include merge modules or where to get them.

What  would you do oh great and more experienced .NET gods?

Toga

0
togakangaroo
1/10/2008 10:33:35 PM
📁 asp.net.crystal-reports
📃 7043 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 7 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2090 Views

Update:

I have found the merge modules an created a program files\common files\merge modules\ directory on the deployment computer and put them in there.

Still getting the same error though.

0
togakangaroo
1/10/2008 10:44:55 PM

try installing the Cystal runtime redistributable pack located here

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\CrystalReports

I see you are using .NET 1.1 so try looking at the relevant framework directory instead of the 2.0 as listed above

0
jimmy
1/10/2008 10:46:47 PM

The client computer doesn't have visual studio, it is a deployment only machine so that directory does not exist.

I actually DO have a C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio .NET directory but the only contents of that are \Common7\IDE\ which only contains a few Hx* files

0
togakangaroo
1/10/2008 10:57:28 PM

Shameless bump, I really need help with this.

0
togakangaroo
1/11/2008 8:50:49 PM

YOu need to get the runtime redistributable package for your version of CR. Try business object home page for downloads for the MSI

0
jimmy
1/11/2008 10:37:30 PM

 I'm sorry, can you explain further?

CR has its own runtime, I thought it was just a set of libraries?  Would I have to purchase it or is it something that would be free?

An aside, that I'm sure I can find other ways - if I have the CR that came with visual studio (2003), do you know how I go about finding out it's version number?

0
togakangaroo
1/11/2008 11:12:19 PM

togakangaroo:

CR has its own runtime, I thought it was just a set of libraries?  Would I have to purchase it or is it something that would be free?

The CR runtime is the runtime assemblies which like you said are a set of DLLs. The runtime is free like with all products, which is the DEV IDE that cost money.

togakangaroo:
An aside, that I'm sure I can find other ways - if I have the CR that came with visual studio (2003), do you know how I go about finding out it's version number?

I believe VS2003 uses CR9.

Just open your VS2003 IDE and go to HELP and ABOUT, it will show you the version of CR you are developing in/

0
jimmy