Web Deployment Project - Config Properties - Replacing web.config sections

I'm using a Web Deployment Project to compile my web site. In the Property Pages - Configuration Properties - Deployment section, there is an option to 'Enable Web.config file section replacement'. I have this working to replace certain sections of my web.config for each build config (release/staging/dev). I think this makes sense so other developers do not have to remember to change the web.config file.

HOWEVER, this only seems to work when replacing parts of web.config; such as appSettings, connectionString, etc. This would require me to have separate config files for each section and build.

   appSettingsRelease.config
   appSettingsStaging.config
   appSettingsDev.config
   connectionStringsRelease.config
   connectionStringsStaging.config
   connectionStringsDev.config
   web.config

I was hoping I could have the section replacement for the 'configuration' section of the web.config file. Then I could have everything replaced with three config files.

   release.config
   staging.config
   dev.config
   web.config

Anyone have ideas on how to do this? Or a best practice on managing web.config? Does anyone use the different build configs? This is my first try to make use of these functions.

Thanks,
Sean

0
SeanS

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Web Deployment of a Web Application:why the vbproj file is in the Web Deployment folder
Hello, I'm an old ASP and new ASP 1.1 developer.Now I have to work with ASP 2.0 and I'm testing the new features but there are things that are not clear.. I created a web application (converted from an ASP.NET 2.0 web site) and I was trying to build the web application project.These are the Property Pages Settings:Configuration:ReleaseCompilation: Allow this precompiled site to be updatable .. checkedOutput Assemblies: Merge all outputs to a single assembly  is checked                    ...

Problems deploying Dynamic Data web application using "Web Deployment" project
Hi,  When I attempt to deploy a dynamic data web application using a "web deployment" project, only about half of the folders inside the "DynamicData" folder get copied properly. Here are the steps to reproduce. Prerequisites: Visual Studio 2008 .NET 3.5 SP1 Web Deployment projects add-on installed (I forget the exact name of this tool) In VS2008, go to File, New Project, Dynamic Data Web Application Right click on WebApplication1 and select "Add Web Deployment Project..." Accept the defaults and click OK. Right clik the web dep...

Web Setup Project versus Web Deployment Project
Is there some good article on when to use which project?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". Hello, You could check here - http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Actually you can easily configure the WebSetup project to pipe in the output from your WebSiteDeployment project into the MSI. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting ThanxJohan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================...

Web Project Conditional Compilation for Web Deployment Project
I need to compile a couple different configurations Release/Debug/etc. based on custom compilation constatns. My web pages code is based on the custom compilation constants. I wanted to modify web.config before compilation automatically, because the conditional Compilation Constants settings are moved to the web.config in VS 2005. The only way I found is to modify web.config before the build and modify back after the build is done. I created a custom class derived from Microsoft.Build.Utilities.Task. This class overrides the Execute() method. In this method I modify the specifed web.con...

Web Application Projects & Web Deployment Projects
What is the difference between both? I can't find the answer! thanks Hi, A Web Application Project (WAP) is simply another project model aprt from the default Website Model in VS 2005. WAP is similar to VS 2003 web project model. http://webproject.scottgu.com Whereas a Web Deployment Project(WDP) is used to deploy a web project and provides flexiblity while deployment. See this link for details: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Hope this helps, VivekSocial Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community Please mark the most helpful repl...

Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects
....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't? First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on ...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

How to use web deployment projects with multiple web application projects.
I followed the guide on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307467 "How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development" and I now have my main app at the root of the application and I have all of the sub applications as sub directories of the root application.  It all works great when I do a normal debug build or a normal publish.  The problem is that I have nested sitemaps, nested master pages, and of course, nested web.config files.  Basically the root app has a master page, sitemap, and web.config file and each child app ...

so confused, different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project
I am so confused. Want to know what is the different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project. I have already completed a web application project. What am i going to use? Deployment or Setup?Thanks so much in advance!Justin so far i know both is useful.to get the best compile options use web deploy project.to install the web on other machine/deliver to user, use web setup project (that containing web deploy project output). Thanks Trance...

Web resources about - Web Deployment Project - Config Properties - Replacing web.config sections - asp.net.config-deploy

Deployment diagram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To describe a web site, for example, a deployment diagram would show what hardware components ("nodes") exist (e.g., a web server, an application ...

Second Facebook Building In Luleå, Sweden, To Test New Rapid Deployment Data Center Concept
... at Facebook’s data center in Luleå, Sweden , will be the first of the social network’s data centers to be built using its new rapid deployment ...

The Current State of SMTP STARTTLS Deployment
A lot of sensitive data is sent over email, so we encrypt emails in transit via STARTTLS when available. STARTTLS has been around for 15 years, ...

Deployment Manager (@redgateDeploy) on Twitter

Children welcome Georgia National Guardsmen home from deployment to Afghanistan - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
In this photo taken on March 9, 2010 photo, Blake Cochran, left, 7, Brooke Cochran, center, 6, and Bailee Cochran, 3, welcome home Georgia's ...

Motive Security Guardian (formerly Kindsight Security) now supporting virtualized deployments - YouTube ...
Patrick Tan, General Manager of Network Intelligence at Alcatel-Lucent, discusses enhancements to the Motive Security Guardian – a cloud based, ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop: Military deployments and peacekeeping to count as foreign aid
Australia will begin to count the costs of its military and police deployments in humanitarian disasters and UN peacekeeping operations as part ...

Iraq deployment decision in days: Bishop
The national security committee and federal cabinet will meet this week to decide on Australia's deployment to Iraq.

Full fibre NBN deployment costs artificially inflated: NBN Co critic
The cost of rolling out a fibre-to-the-premises NBN may not be as high as that posited by the Coalition government, according to University of ...