Question regarding many config files for single web application

I saw one web application in which there are many config files. Below code will explain you what I mean. In system.web.authorization.config file I had the code like this

<?xml version="1.0"?><authorization><deny users="?"/></authorization>

 In web.config file I had the code like this

<authorization configSource="App_Config\_BASE\system.web.authorization.config">
</authorization>

 My question is we can mention the authorization setting in web.config file itself . Why they have mentioned the authorization setting in system.web.authorization.config file . Thanks in advance

with regards

rejoin2me

0
rejoin2me

It is just a physical separation for maintability... Normally if you put all the stuffs in the web.config file it is tough to manage... You can create any number of files for any section in web.config and link it to the web.config file..

0
chenthil_it

one application has many web.config files which web.config file execute first?
hi to all In my application i will add three web.config file which will execute first. how to set it. Give me a guidlines. by Devan.G Hi,You can't add multiple web.config to applicationYou can add single web.config to each folder present in sub directories of your applicationYou can override the web.config files using multiple config files.SatalajWatch The true story of internet ||Yet another forum |||I'm big fan of Open source flash chart for .net very very simple I n t e r v i e w T i p s Hi, You can check this reference: http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-Tutorials/Mult...

how many web.config file you can have in your web application
how many web.config file you can have in your web application maxmax thnk you   1 (per directory, as mentioned below)David WierMCP/ASPInsiderASPNet101.com - where to look first!Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!Control Grouper - easily control properties for multiple controls with one control!Calendar Express - The Best HTML Calendar Generator on the web!(Please 'Mark as Answer' when it applies) thank u Not 1 per directory?  I've set up security on a folder using a web.config in that folder that was seperate from the rest of the sit...

web.config file of root directoy interferes with the sub-application web.config.
Hello! I encountered a problems when I added new sub-application to my application,  with its own web.config, When I try to open page www.mypage.com/subapplication/ It reads the web.config of www.mypage.com and throws an exception (I think it tries to loadsome dlls from root-bin directory (exactly ATLAS files..)  <add name="ScriptModule" type="Microsoft.Web.Services.ScriptModule"/> - exception on this line ) But why it reads the web.config of root dir? What can I do to solve that problem? Thank you.Artashes This is the expected behavior. web.config are inher...

How to use 2 web.config file in a single web application
Hello Guyz,In my web application I'm trying to use a Blog and for that I'm using the free version of community server. The blog itself runs fine. But I'm trying to use it as a subdomain of my original application.The blog itself has its own web.config file as my application does and for that it's throws the following  errorParser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. It'...

Web Deployment Projects
I've been using the new beta of the Web Deployment Projects. Cool stuff. One problem I have with it is this. I have specified some Web.config file section replacements. It is working just great, except that in the web.config file replacement files, some have comments in them that are not copied into the final web.config file. I wish that they were. For example, here is a snippet from connectionStrings.config file that will be inserted into Web.config...<connectionStrings>  <!--If using Oracle, please use below uncomment below section         <ad...

Need to put this in a web.config file. Transfer a collection from app.config to web.config.

After migration from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5 do I have to incorporate new web.config settings in old *.config file
Hi,I have successfully migrated web application from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5. Could you let me know whether I have to incorporate setting in new web.config (this new web.config file was generated automatically due to migration) into old *.config file?FYI: Old *.config file contains all application level settings required. So I will continue to use old.config file by removing new web.config file. Settings which are in new web.config file are:<configSections><sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup,...

Regarding multiple web.config files in application
 HI, I created two web.config files in my application. I wrote two different connection strings in two web.config files. Now i want to fetch two  connection strings into code behind file.  plz help me... Thanks in Advance Only one web.config per app.  You can have multiple connection strings in it though. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue.  Hi jeff,I read in some of the portals that we can use multiple web.config files in an app...

Is there any limit on no. of config files in a single web application?
we can have different web.config files for individual folders under application directory. But is there any limit on no. of config files that a single app. can have? Hi Ronnie,One per folder I guess ....I never heard anything about limitations.  Kind regards,Wim Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. There are no limitations on how many web.config files you can have in a project.  But a...

Configuring Multiple Web Config files in a single application
Hello,I am currently working on a web project where a customer just asked me to also implement Windows authentication for a particular directory within the application. Prior to this request the application itself was configured to allows anonymous access, with the exception of one file which has been configured to use Forms authentication. So as such in the main application's web.config file I've added a <location> tag in order to pick up the forms authentication mechanism for this file when it is accessed, forcing the user to supply their credentials. However as I...

how to encrypt web.config during web application deployment
I am developing a web application using ASP.NET, VS 2008, Framework 3.5I want to encrypt my web.config at the end of application installation (Installer.Commit event).How do I do this ? Check this.. http://visualstudiomagazine.com/columns/article.aspx?editorialsid=2752 http://blogs.msdn.com/publicsector/archive/2005/11/08/490319.aspxMy Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." If you want to encrypt your web.config you can have a look at this link http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/01/09/434893.aspxFaraz Shah KhanMCP, MCAD.Net, MCSD....

Encrypting web AND window application config files (.NET 2.0)
What would be the easiest way to encrypt both web and windows application config files (all being on the one server)? I know about the 'aspnet_regiis' command, but as it doesn't do application config files I was wondering if a single GAC shared assembly could be used to initially encrypt  (an interface for encrypting, with developer then manually implementing) and decrypt the data.TIA  I'm not sure I follow you.  Still hope this helps: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/01/09/434893.aspxZhao Ji MaSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Support“Please remember to click...

Use a Name/value in Machine.config file in the web.config file
Hello. I want/need to access a variable in the machine.config file and use it in the web.config file. My scenario is: Each machine has a machine name, so (I assume this is the best place to put it) I want to create a variable in <appsettings> in the machine.config file called "MachineName".  In my web.config file, I want to use the MachineName variable in the machine.config in the appsettings.   Example: (web.config file)  ... <appSettings> <add key="ServerFileNames" value=\\ISCO1FEGRD\Dotnet_files\OrclIntlList.xml /> Replace the ...

getting an Error when refering an external config file from web.config file
am getting an Error when refering an external config file from web.config file, code isYourSettings.config<appSettings >     <add key="KeyToOverride" value="Overridden" />     <add key="KeyToBeAdded" value="EntirelyNew" />   </appSettings>andweb.config   <appSettings file="YourSettings.config">     <add key="KeyToOverride" value="Original" />     <add key="KeyToNotOverride" value="Standard" />   </appSettings> and in code behindstring str = System.Con...

Web resources about - Question regarding many config files for single web application - asp.net.config-deploy

Patent application shows Apple Watch band that transforms into a case, stand and Mac accessory
An Apple patent application published today reveals an idea for an interesting variation on the magnetically-closed Milanese Loop band that allows ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 19% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush

Seagate pushing non-PC storage for 2016 with focus on surveillance applications
... products for cloud computing, consumer electronics, surveillance and enterprise storage for 2016. Seagate expects surveillance-related applications ...