how to get the access to modify web.config when running web app?

hi all,

I am working on a web app that modification to the web.config may be needed when user logs on as administrator.

when user logs on as an administrator, s/he cold choose to change some settings in the web.config. My question is, how to grant the permission of "modify" web.config to this kind of user?

I know that all the user access the resources through "anonymouse access", and they use account "XXX\Iuser_XXX" to access the web.config, but this account (or user group) has no access "modify or write" to web.config. When config.save(0 used, the user must have the write permission on web.config and the directory.

the problem is if I can't modify the permission, how can I get the access to modify it?

Thank,

Liya

Liya
0
newliya

bullpit
3/26/2007 8:41:10 PM

Thank you, bullpit.

I'll go through these links, and hope I can get the solution.

Liya

Liya
0
newliya
3/26/2007 9:52:06 PM

Hi bullpit,

it seems these links are not fit for my case.

Using xml node might not be able to work in my case, since the section I wanna to modify is encrypted, and the section needs  modify at run time.

What I want to know is whether it's the only way to modify the encrypted section that grant the write(or modify) permission to the user with the file web.config for "anonymouse access" ?

If anybody has any idea, I'll be appreciated!

Thanks,

Liya

Liya
0
newliya

running 2 web.configs in the same website 1 in /web.config and one in /swf/web.config
Im having issues doing this. and when i remove the authentication from the swf/web.config it still doesnt seem to be applying to the child website at all. Whats the proper way to set a child website? Thanks!!  The lower most web.config overrides all previous settings. So if you remove the section from the /swf/web.config whatever settings you have in the web.config in the next higher level will have an effect on the content of the child folder.So instead of removing a section, try giving appropriate settings in the /swf/web.config....

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

Need to put this in a web.config file. Transfer a collection from app.config to web.config.

app.config and web.config deployments and installers
I use web deployment projects for changing web.config values based on the configuration build types I have setup (dev/test/stage/prod) and it works excellent for building installers in multiple environments.  Now, I am trying to do the same the Windows Applications.  How can I automate the changing of app.config values based on the build configuration (dev/test/stage/prod)?  Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,Chris...

Web Deployment Project - Config Properties
I'm using a Web Deployment Project to compile my web site. In the Property Pages - Configuration Properties - Deployment section, there is an option to 'Enable Web.config file section replacement'. I have this working to replace certain sections of my web.config for each build config (release/staging/dev). I think this makes sense so other developers do not have to remember to change the web.config file. HOWEVER, this only seems to work when replacing parts of web.config; such as appSettings, connectionString, etc. This would require me to have separate config files for each section and bui...

Deploying Web App > web.config hell ?
Hello, for the last 8 hours or so I'm trying to deploy one of my personal apps on a hosted server. I've asked the host to set the folder both as a virtual directory and as a web application. Both is done and confirmed. Now I've uploaded the application (compiled using the Project Copy in VS.NET) including the bin folder. Whenever I access the app I get this error: http://www.europeum.net/dev/MMSNET/admin/index.aspx The web.config file looks like this (standard): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration> <system....

App.Config/Web.Config
I have setup custom config sections. I need to know how to loop through a configuration group and get all of the config sections in that group. Thanks could you post an example of what you have Trey Exactly, your question is not clear at all. Regards.Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCTMicrosoft MVP - Telerik MVP...

App.config/web.config
Hello!! I'm development a web application in n-tiers. The UI have a web.config, and the other tiers using app.config. The problem is that the application doesn´t recognize the app.config files. Only the web.config of the UI. For example: I try to put the connections string in a app.config in the data access, but when it runing, throws a error that says: "Database undefined". But when I put the connections strings in the web.config, it runing well. I need help!!!Alvaro HdezDeveloper To use xml atributes from WebConfig and AppConfig u must add referance to System...

App.config to Web.config
I have been running a console app, to process a paypal payment.  The code gets a value from the app.config file. <add key="PAYFLOW_HOST" value="payflowpro.paypal.com" /> However I have now incorporate the code into a web application and put the key into my web.config file, will the code now know to look for this key in this place? If your code is getting the value from your config file using ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["PAYFLOW_HOST"] then it should use the correct config file automatically.  Console apps, windows services and wind...

Read info from web.config, machine.config, app.config....
I know how to read info from the web.config, see code:  Protected path As String = "/Framework" Protected config As Configuration = WebConfigurationManager.OpenWebConfiguration(path) How can I read also the data from machine.config and other config files, like the app.configs?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". ...

.NET 2.0 encryption web.config/app.config options?
Situation: 13 servers containing both ASP .Net web sites and .NET apps. Servers are broken up in Developemnt, Test, and Production types.Issue: Need to encrypt all app.config and web.config files.Currently we are using .NET 1.1, so I had developed (test working, not yet deployed) a shared (GAC) utility that would be responsible for providing an interface to allow the encryption (DPAPI + Second Entropy) of information for the developer to manually place in each web.conf/app.config file during development. The backend of this utility was referenced by the *.config files in decrypting values on...

Merging my web.config.mylibrary with the web.config
I see multiples web.config files in the framework 2.0 folder.  There is a way to had a web.config.mylibrary file that contains part of the configuration section.For example, I want that the profile section to be in the web.config.mylibrary file and when the web site will be load, the two web.config will be merge.  Is it possible to such thing ? Hi Biz, It is possible to-do this using the configSource property on configuration section elements.  You could then store different configuration sections in different configuration files in a distributed way.Here is a MSD...

Using multiple web.configs with different web apps in the same web folder.
How do I tell a web application to use a specific web.config file instead of referencing the root web apps web.config file? Example: In IIS i have this setup:My Server  Web Sites     Default Web Site (this has web.config with a reference to a HTTP Handler)     My Http Handler           My Sub Web             < --- This sub web is looking for the http handler in this web hope that makes sense.   shawn use location elem...

Running a web application within my existing web application
 Hi. I have a site set up in .net 1.1 that runs fine. A requirement came through recently to incorporate some elements by way of a third party application. I have set up a virtual directory inside my main application which points to the folder that contains the third party application. This virtual directory is also set up to run as an application. The third party application allows me to create forms. I have created a page in my main application that uses 1 user control from the third party application to display a form. I am getting the following error when trying to run the page:Serv...

Web resources about - how to get the access to modify web.config when running web app? - asp.net.config-deploy

Running - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the type of locomotion in humans. For running in horses, see Horse gait . For locomotion in dogs, see Gait (dog) . For ...

Should Lucy Turnbull be running a stockmarket company?
Watch: Pretending that it's business as usual when your partner is the PM is courting trouble.

CBA executive running compensation scheme moves to new role
... has appointed a new head of its compensation scheme for customers who received dodgy financial advice, a program it expects to continue running ...

The new arcade game Running Circles will have you spinning
If you are up for a challenging game that tests your timing skills as well as your reflexes, then the new arcade game Running Circles is for ...

PCs running Dell support app can be uniquely ID’d by snoops and scammers
... use the identifier to make their ruse more convincing. Websites can surreptitiously acquire the ID of just about any Dell machine that's running ...

Monitor what’s running on your PC with apps tracker
Apps tracker is an open source tool that logs which programs are being run on your PC, and for how long. The program is portable, so there are ...

Time’s running out: Every movie and TV show leaving Netflix in December
Looking through the list of departures from Netflix this month, I'm relieved to see that we aren't losing nearly as many gems as we did last ...

Amazon reportedly running secret air cargo operation out of Ohio
A new air operation in Wilmington Air Park has technology circles speculating that Amazon.com Inc. is testing air operations there. LGSTX Services, ...

The Running Imam by @BloggersRUs
The Running Imam by Tom Sullivan More tales of the drone wars. Citizen, now you can do your part to fight international terrorism from the ...

Beer Truck Takes Instant Revenge On Alleged Thief By Running Him Over
... a man accused of stealing it in Georgia recently. Police in Columbus, GA say the driver of a Coors Light beer truck left it parked and running ...