How to deploy a VS.VB net project to websever withour VS.net

The VB app is developed on VS.net professional. I plan to deploy it on a web server that doesn't have VS.net. Would the code behind files cause problems? Should I compile the app and deploy the assembly only?

I'd appreciate some quickstart tips on how to deploy a VS.net VB project to websever withour VS.net.
Thanks.

Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer"
0
thuhue

The only thing you would need to do is compile the project and push the .aspx files and the bin folder to the server, and of course any other sub-folders that are used in your app like images.

The Code-Behind files are compiled into a single DLL in the bin folder when you build the project. It is generally a good practice NOT to push the your vb files to your production server.
0
PD_Goss
3/8/2004 11:27:13 AM
It is suprising the lack of help on this. Just a quick addition to PDs post, you need to include any .asXXX style file. So that includes aspx, ascx and the like. Also note that you only need one bin folder hanging off the root of the site. Having said all that it will soon tell you what's missing if you've forgotten something :)

0
pkr
3/14/2004 5:45:48 PM
One other consideration, the web server needs the .NET FrameWork installed on it.
0
PD_Goss

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

VB.NET Standard vs VS.NET Professional
Hello, I've been using the Trail Version of Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition 2003 and I now need to ask my Boss to buy the Full Version. I'm going to be developing ASP.NET Web Applications that are Data-driven with SQL Server 7.0 and 2000. I'm only going to need Visual Basic for coding my applications. My Question is what version of Visual Studio .NET should I buy??? Since I'm only going to be using Visual Basic should I buy Visual Basic .NET Standard 2003???? or stick with Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition 2003 (bearing in mind is about 10x more expensive). Obvio...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Converting project from VS:Net 2003 to Vs.Net 2005
Hi there,can anyone help with converting a project from Vs.NET 2003 to vs.net 2005. Its not the internal workings that are a problem but the organization...I understand that under mydocuments\visual Studio 2005\  there are 2 directories (amongst others)1 is projects1 is websitesin projects these store the sln file and all the code for a gui app for examplefor websites in projects is just the sln which points to the websites directory where all the code is for a website i.e. under \mydocs\visual studio 2005\websitesam i right?So in simple terms, what is the best way of importing my vs.ne...

How to open a VS.NET 2003 project in VS.NET 2002
My colleague created a ASP.NET project by VS.NET 2003. I can not open it by the VS.NET 2002 in my machine. Can I call my colleague to modify some settings on this project and so I can open it by 2002? How to do that? thx...

VS.NET Projects on the Net
If I'm done with a project/solution that I created with IIS(Localhost) and VS.NET, what files from the solution will I need to upload to the host? (Host in this case is Brinkster(Free Plan)) only the aspx and ascx files ... in the bin folder you will need the compiled dll files ... Also in the root you need: web.config and flobal.asax That's itVerhoeven Bart MCSD.NET Technical Project Leader There is only 2 files in the .bin folder. ..dll file and .pdb All the ACSX and ASPX files are in the project's folder. When ever I try building the project, I get nothing in the B...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

Opening project created in VS.NET 2003 in VS.NET 2002?
hi everyone, Can this be done? i'm havin problems opening my applications. the solution file i created is not recognise by VS.NET 2002.. can anyone provide me with a solution? thanks very much.. It is not designed to do this, so don't think you are doing anything wrong. There is a tool designed to do this, it can be foundHERE You must register, but it is a free download. Hope this helps.Chris Paterra thanks very much.....

Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET
Hi all, Environment: ASP.NET 1.1; VS.NET Enterprise 2003; Windows Server 2003; IIS 6.0 I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I created a Web project on my XP Dev machine which I can open, run, debug and do everything else. I can "deploy" the project to my 2003 server and open the site in explorer browser. But now, I want to transfer the whole solution to my Win 2003 and continue the development and testing on it. So, I transferred the whole VS solution directory from my XP machine to the Win 2003 machine. I created a Web site (not a virtual directory under default...

VS.NET 2003 to VS.Net 2005
Hi   I just converetd my VS.Net 2003 project to VS.NET 2005 using the convert wizard in Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project. It compiled with no build errors and a few warnings. When Iam trying to view the project, then it gives me 404 error. Can someone help ? Thanks Could you confirm you are using WAP (Web Application Projects) versus the built-in WSP (Web Site model)? If you have a project file after converting, then you are using WAP. Could you post the actual 404 error you got? Also, did you set your start page in the converted project?  -Mike-...

Vs.Net 2002 and Vs.Net 2003
Hello: I've one question that keeps messing with my head, I want to know if you have: 1. VS.Net 2002 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? 2. VS.Net 2003 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? Is it possible to have an app compiled for framework 1.0 that uses DLLs or assemblies compiled for framework 1.1???? and still work ok?? thanks a lot....

VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 on same machine
I've seen some postings indicating that you can have VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 side by side on the same machine.  I've also seen some comments that if doing this there is something that gets messed up, but I can't locate what it is and what the solution might be. Can someone shed some light on this for me regarding what might get messed up and where I can find the fixes to it? Thanks, Ira  Ira Richard Smith I have this set up. no prob at all.-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com Same here along with VS.Net 2002 & VS 6.0 I'm running 2003 and 2005 on wi...

VS.NET 2005 to VS.NET 2003 converter
All -- Please help. I need a VS.NET 2005 to VS.NET 2003 converter. OOPs. (It is a long story.) Anyway... Does such a thing exist? Do you have any hints? (The VS.NET 2005 code is simple and does use much of the new stuff.) Please advise. Thank you. --Mark Kamoski  http://www.NetBrainer.com...

VS.net 2003 and VS.net Whidbey on same machine
Is it possible to install (and run) Visual Studio Whidbey on a computer where Visual Studio .net 2003 (and .net Framework 1.1) is currently installed? Or smashes it my Visual Studio 2003 installation? Yes, this is possible. I am doing it on two machines at the present time.JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]Old Dog Learns New TricksPreferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets I also do that, and do not have noticed any problems, but I have heard that other developers have some problems with running the CTP with VS.Net 2003. /Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MV...

Web resources about - How to deploy a VS.VB net project to websever withour VS.net - asp.net.config-deploy

Cool mod lets you use GTA V in-game phone with your iPhone
Now this is a cool mod! Photo: Planetleak One of the hundreds of great touches I love about Grand Theft Auto V is the way that it uses in-game ...

yPortableWS — the portable web server
... thumb-drive) webserver, with PHP and MySQL, you may just have found it! In fact yPortableWS started some time ago, when I needed a small websever ...

Employee "Disciplined" For Installing Bitcoin Software On Federal Webservers
... All the stories seem a little vague as to what he actually installed however — on one side he installed the software on a public facing websever, ...

Hadoop Benchmark and CouchDB Implications
Although I don’t write much about it directly I’m a big fan of the MapReduce approach to computing and data mining. I love the fluid manner with ...

Redirection to ResistanceMP3's new web site
ResistanceMP3 has moved to a new websever. You should be redirectedautomatically, if not, click here