Disadvantage in running an ASP.NET 32-bit application on a 64-bit Windows server in 32-bit mode?

 Hello,

My ASP.NET application has some 32-bit DLLs I can't change.  I've deployed the application to a 64-bit Windows 2003 server and I can get it to run if I enable 32-bit ASP.NET support.

My question:  is this configuration worth it?  Or would I be better off just running it on a Windows 32-bit Server?  Even more specifically, can a 32-bit application running on 64-bit Windows take advantage of the extra RAM the machine might have?

Thanks!

Mike

0
DenverMike
3/16/2009 10:58:14 PM
📁 asp.net.config-deploy
📃 12495 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 1 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1595 Views

There's really no disadvantage in running 32 bit application pool on a 64 bits system.

With 64 bits OS, the OS will address more than 4 G of memory which can be useful in some situation.  It really depends on your setup, if your server only runs IIS and it only host 1 website, having more than 4G of RAM is not really useful.

Bruce
DiscountASP.NET: Developer Ready ASP.NET Web Hosting
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
- Voted 2008, 2007, 2006 & 2005 Best ASP.NET Web Hosting by asp.netPRO Magazine
0
Bruce