When to use Static Page Module, HTML Page Module, and Custom Module

I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of using Static pages, the HTML Page Module, and the Custom Module.

Background:  I'm using the CSK to make an old HTML web site easier to maintain.  I have a bunch of old Photo Galleries (yes, several of them containting hundreds of images) that would take many days to convert to using the Photo Gallery module, so I'm researching ways to convert the old pages that isn't so painful.  I don't care if the new photo galleries (which will use the Photo Gallery module) match the look of the old ones, so converting the core HTML on these pages is good enough for me, at least if it saves me 20 hours of repetitive work.

Here's what I've tried so far:

* The HTML Page module works... sort of.  I just copy the snippet of HTML into the HTML window and it looks great, except that all my image references are wrong.  They all look like: "../Images/XYZ.jpg" so NO IMAGES are coming in.  I would prefer not to have to modify the image tags (global search/replace tollerated), or import them into the DB, so I'd like to make this work.  Is there a way to do this using the HTML Page module?

* Becuase of this limitation in the HTML Page module, I started to research the Static Pages option.  Even though it is documented, it doesn't appear in the Section Type list on Add Section page, so I haven't gotten anywhere on that.  Does it actually exist?  How do I make it work?

* I just started looking at the Custom Module, so I'm not sure how I would use it to solve the problem.

Any suggestions?  Thanks,

Jon

0
jonfaust
3/30/2005 9:40:00 PM
asp.net.community-starter-kit 2049 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Where is the Static Pages documentation you refer to?

The HTML page module should be fine, but you will need to update all of the links. There is no easy way around this. I would suggest that you could copy the HTML snippets for all ofthe pages into a single text file, then use a good text editor (or even VS.NET) to do a search/replace on the image paths. Then you can paste the HTML into the HTML sections as needed.

Of course, it may also be worth the time to look at converting your old galleries into a more modern database driven system. If the galleries are a prominant part of your site, you can look at nGallery (now part of Community Server by Telligent Systems) or use the CSK's gallery module. The point though is that getting those images, especially when you are talking hundreds of them) into a database will make keeping up with the images and their associated meta-data simpler. Future ports to newer web platforms will certainly be a lot easier.

Stephen M. Redd
http://www.reddnet.net
0
Redd
4/11/2005 4:19:03 PM
If your images are segregated into physical / distinct directories you may find the Bulk Image Uploader to be a great tool.  It will take a user selectable directory of images and allow you to upload them at one time into a photo gallery section of your choice.  It is a standalone tool (meaning it is a seperate exe (Windows Application).  You can find it here: http://csk.wbcb.com/Downloads/VB+Downloads/241.aspx .  It may change your mind on not wanting to store the images in the db as it can literally upload a hundred images in a matter of seconds vice the time to manually add them.
-- jody
My Blogs on .Net 2.0 and Ajax
http://csk.wbcb.com
http://ArtbyJody.com
0
jodywbcb

How can I use the RichTextBox control used in the Text/HTML module in my custom Module
Hi,I am New to DotNetNuke and want to create my own Cutom Module and include RichTextBox control used in the Text/HTMLDoes anyone know how I can do this.I was hoping that is was one of the controls of DotNetNuke but I cannot find it anywhere.Many ThanksHenry HTML-Editor is determined by the HTMLEditorProvider. Have a look into the source code of the Text/HTML, to be found at \desktopModules\HTML\EditHTML.ascx and ~.vb. In Version 3.1 you need to unzip HTML.resources to get the source code files.Sebastian Leupoldgamma concept mbHDeutschNetNuke = DotNetNuke in GermanDNN Project Us...

How to delete modules on several pages, display modules on several pages
Hello, I've added module on all the pages of my website. Afterwards, I realized, I didn'twant to display it on all the pages but just on some of them. I would like to know if it is possible to delete this module on all pages, without doing it page per page. I've already remove some of them and it takes a long time to do it for each pages... I would also like to know if it's possible to add modules on several pages (not on all pages), for exemple on all the pages from a rubric ? Thank you in advance for any informations. Mathmax****************************************- I don’t write pl...

Using a HTML page as custom module: Urgent
Hi, is it possible to use a HTML page as a custom module? Will be really greatful for a quick answer!Thanks Could you clarify what you mean exactly? There is a section type for HTML pages (just static HTML stored in the database and displayed in the section when viewed). There is a custom module section that just allows you to create a custom user control to dynamically generate some form of content (whatever you code the control to produce). You can create a custom module and code it to output straight HTML (really no code involved for that) but I can't see much advantage. If yo...

modules, modules

Module in Module

Module used in "Non-Core Modules" pages in DNN site
Hi all, i would like to know what is the module used in the "Non-Core Modules" pages inside the DNN official site. http://www.dotnetnuke.com/default.aspx?tabid=794 Thanks a lot Stefano Hi Stefano,I don't know if this is the exact module you're looking for but try the Resource Directory v1.0 at http://www.dnnspanish.com; it works well with DNN3.1.  If you haven't already found it http://www.cathal.co.uk has a useful list of free modules though some don't yet work with the latest DNN release.All the bestTaz...

sub modules, loading custom modules into a parent module
GreetingsI am creating a support system module which will require the ability to add sub modules. For example, there is an admininstrators section in which suport requests are administered, anwsered, solved etc.There is to be another function in the admin section of the support module in which admins can upload a new support form template module, ie, say an admin wants to set up a form for users to lodge a request for new hardware, the form will display all required fields, graphics, validation etc for that request. Another support form template might be to have a new user set up on the acti...

Cannot get rid of a custom module. How do I manually delete a module (not on any pages) in DNN 3.1?
I've gone through this nightmare to move a site from 2.1.2 to 3.1.  I have to say, on an aside, that if there's no better way to upgrade than to delete all custom modules, DNN will not survivie in the long term...at least the selling of custom modules won't.  It's too much a high cost, beyond the price of modules...never mind there's absolutely no regulation on testing these modules to ensure that they delelte themselves correctly (and also delete all of themselves, like the tables, foreign keys, stored procs, etc..  If a user isn't a db expert, right now upgrading a f...

Custom Module with custom pages?
Hi, I am new with DotNetNuke and would like to add asp.net-pages I developed myself. These pages have their own functions and structure. I tried to do this with a custom module unfortunately with no result. Of course I could add a custom module and edit the content of this module. But this is not what I want to do. Is there any way to add my pages in DNN? If yes how?   Maybe I can create these pages directly in DNN again but there are a few questions / problems I see: 1. The website has to export some data in xml and a local application has to read this data directl...

Dot Net Nuke (DNN)
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-b...

Using my custom module with aspx page
Here is my question .Lets say I have my solution called myCompany.Module1 In there I have my view control and my edit control.I need to have a web form page that the edit control will open in a new window.Where do I place my page in the dnn 3.0 solution and how (what classes do I need to import or inherit to get data access from that Edit control....

Customize RSS Module? or a custom module?
I would like for example that the rss module extracts info from different rss feeds on my page. but in a customized way For example the last article, the last new, the last event. To avoid upgrade issues consider creating a custom module. mm I havent realy checked th rss module but isnt the features you want replicated by a custom xsl file. Or you could check out the other rss modules that are out there RSSExtra It is possible in xsl to extract info from different xml <xsl:value-of select="document('http://www.asp.net/Forums/rss.aspx?forumid=90')/channel/tit...

Error on Module Definitions page, no list of modules
I've done a fresh install of 3.2 and everything is working great, with exception of the Module Definitions page.  There are 2 errors on that page as follows:InnerException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.Message: DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at System.Web.UI.UserControl.get_Request() at DotNetNuke.Entities.Modules.PortalModuleBase.get_IsEditable() at DotNetNuke.UI.Containers.Title.CanEditModule() a...

How do I determine which page in my module loads when the module is first loaded?
How do I determine which page in my module loads when the module is first loaded? Normally, I have done this by changing my *.dnn file to ommit the <key></key> tag on the ascx file I want to load first in the module; however, I need to be able to refer directly to that page as to forward the user to it. Any ideas? The initial view of the module is always the view action.  You do not need a key assigned to it.  You can only have one view type per module.Chris Paterra Chris, can you elaborate on that a little? I've used multiple pages set to view in modules previousl...

Web resources about - When to use Static Page Module, HTML Page Module, and Custom Module - asp.net.community-starter-kit

Static-X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Static-X was an American metal band from Los Angeles , California formed in 1994. The line-up from 2010-2013 consisted of Wayne Static (vocals ...

Static HTML Remains Facebook’s Fastest Growing App
Static HTML maintains its steady lead on the weekly growth leaderboard, but the trend overall encounters slower seven-day totals. Facebook’s ...

Static HTML: iframe tabs auf Facebook - Facebook
Static HTML makes it simple to build iframe tabs for your Facebook Page and is the leading provider of custom tabs for Facebook Pages, with over ...

INFOGRAPHIC: Dynamic Facebook Exchange ads blow away static FBX ads
... content in ads purchased via real-time bidding platform Facebook Exchange , finding in its analysis that dynamic FBX ads outperformed static ...

Wayne Static (@IAmWayneStatic) on Twitter
Log in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Worknotes: Static OPML for all.
Worknotes: Static OPML for all.

Devs: If you're using the new static sites feature on S3 here's something to watch for.
If you're using the new static sites feature on S3 here's something to watch out for. I decided over the holidays to move scripting.com to a ...

Scripting News: Static JavaScript apps.
I read about the concept of static JavaScript apps in this Dropbox technote written by Victor Costan in August 2012. Here's the opening paragraph. ...

Static for iPhone for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch ...
Get Static for iPhone on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Falcon 9 1.1 static fire test
... things... countdown to the burn, with the rocket held in place by the hold-down clamps At SpaceX mission control yesterday, where the static ...