Unable to start a web application.

Hi,  I recently upgraded to visual studio .net 2003 and when I attempt to start a web application, I get this error: Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server.  I have went through several checks, such as aspnet_regiis -i , debugging is set to true in the web.config file.  When I start the application without debugging, I get this error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source Error:

Line 77:
Line 78: // Add the Page Title
Line 79: objBuilder.AppendFormat( "\n<title>{0}</title>", objPageInfo.Title );
Line 80:
Line 81: // Add the Page Style
Source File: d:\program files\asp.net starter kits\asp.net community starter kit (vbvs)\communitystarterkit\communitydefault.aspx.cs Line: 79

Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance.
0
ksbrace
1/3/2004 8:24:32 PM
asp.net.community-starter-kit 2049 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ok, I figured out the Error Message about debugging.  I am not sure why it worked but this is what I read on an MSDN page: check and see if HTTP Keep-Alives Enabled is on or off, if off turn it on.  but I still get the following error when I start the app via Visual Studio.Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source Error:

Line 77:
Line 78: // Add the Page Title
Line 79: objBuilder.AppendFormat( "\n<title>{0}</title>", objPageInfo.Title );
Line 80:
Line 81: // Add the Page Style

Source File: d:\program files\asp.net starter kits\asp.net community starter kit (vbvs)\communitystarterkit\communitydefault.aspx.cs Line: 79
Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
ASPNET.StarterKit.Communities.communityDefault.Page_Init(Object s, EventArgs e) in d:\program files\asp.net starter kits\asp.net community starter kit (vbvs)\communitystarterkit\communitydefault.aspx.cs:79
System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e)
ASPNET.StarterKit.Communities.communityDefault.OnInit(EventArgs e) in d:\program files\asp.net starter kits\asp.net community starter kit (vbvs)\communitystarterkit\communitydefault.aspx.cs:39
System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573
Thanks.
0
ksbrace
1/5/2004 3:44:52 AM
for the Object Reference error, I had communityDefault.aspx as the startup instead of default.aspx.  all is well now.
0
ksbrace

Unable to open existing Web application or create web application from Visual Studio.Net
I reinstalled MS office this morning. All of sudden, I can neither open existing web application nor create new Web application. The symptom is the same as described in thread: http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=417541 or http://www.dotnetcoders.com/web/Articles/ShowArticle.aspx?article=57 Tried every suggestion. Still can't do anything. When I tried to check server extention, I got following error message: can't open file "fontpg.lck" for writing Do anyone has any suggestion? Could anyone tell me what permission should I set? I added A...

Telligent Community Server Starter Kit versus Microsoft Community Starter Kit
This ASP.NET forum lists GoDaddy.com as supporting the Microsoft Community Starter Kit.  After going through the setup on GoDaddy.com, I realize that they installed Telligent's Community Server Starter Kit.  I have been browsing this forum, and have not gotten a good answer to several questions.  I get the drift that Telligent has taken over the active development of the CSK project and is further developing the Starter Kit?  Telligent's starter kits are open-source (sort-of), but the realities of development determine that a the Starter Kit have a financial backin...

How to open Community starter kit in VS.NET for VB.NET?
Hi,   Some one please tell me how to open community starter kit in VS.NET 2003 as there is no solution object or project file in CommunityStarterKit folder. I have read the documents and installation is fine. Some one tell me please   Thanks There are two different formats of the CSK download. One format uses the SDK compilers and is best if you use notepad, webmatrix or similar. The other format is for Visual Studio . Net users.http://www.asp.net/StarterKits/DownloadCommunity.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1 Assuming you downloaded the VS.net version and installed it us...

Stop and Start a Web Application using Application Pool contains may Web Applications
Hi, In my IIS 6.0, there is a Application Pool. This Application Pool contains 5 Asp.net Web Application. But I need to stop and restart one particular Web Application. How to do that? What is the process to start and stop a Asp.net Web Application. when the Web Application uses a Application Pool and the Particular Application Pool contains other Web Application as well.?     if you want like that then create separate application pool for each web application. Then you can start and stop one particular web application. Other easy way is just modify the web.config file of you...

Unable to start Web Applications
I'm running .NET on Windows 2000 Pro. While starting new Project-> Web Applications.. not able to save to http://local host/ . Do you have IIS installed in your machine and so port 80 is open?Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti...

use portal starter kit with community starter kit
I am using the portalvbsdk and community starterkit but both have different user login database, is it possible to connect both starter kits with only one user login panel? Sorry, I am very new with ASP.NET I don't think so. The permissions in portal are different than permissions in community. If a person only logs in one and not the other, the permission settings will always be wrong for the one which has no login. ...

Help -- Unable to process Personal Web Site Starter Kit code -- VS Web Developer 2005
I originally sent this as "Error in Website1 Application" ... resending to hopefully get some help, or a suggestion of whom to turn to next (in MS or outside) ORIGINAL: I am running VS 2005, XP Pro, without SQL Server.  I opened the 'Create A Personal Web Site' ... everything appears okay, with a clean compile reported ... Ctrl F5 or F5 both result in a Server Error.  When I do a simple page without a database call, all is well ... I haven't reconfigured anything ... any suggestions on how I can determine what is wrong?  This is the first line of the error: ...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

getting started with community starter kit
Hi I have just installed the community starter kit and i am very lost in the ocean. Basically i am looking for the files involved in the registration form of the community, and i cant find any in the solution provided. Where shd i look for users_registrationform.ascx and corresponding aspx. I cud only see register.cs and registerform.cs and i am vey handicapped with this only. am also looking for a way to prevent the redirection to the homepage the mmt user clicks on "register" button.. but i am not aware how to modify this below to achieve my purpose : if (result >...

community starter Kit start page
i have downloaded community starter Kit and installed it, i can surf it and view the pages but the problem is that i have confused with the its pages. for exmple , when i load the first page http://localhost/CommunityStarterKit/default.aspx i see something and when i open it in Visual Studio.NET i see something else, is there anybody tell me , where the contents of the first page come form? would you please help me . Thank you The pages are dynamically created at runtime. The following post gives some of the details http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&Post...

Deploying Community Starter Kit to the Web
Dear List Mates, I downloaded the starter kit, installed it on my production computer, put in some content, and it is working fine, however ... I can't get it to deploy to the web. I uploaded the database from my production computer MSSQL to my server MSSQL through DTS. I left the entire program on my production computer and just changed the connection string of my config file to the online data base. I've done it before, should have been easy, but I reaceived the standard error message: No community is configured for . If this is the first page that you see after installa...

Error When Debugging (Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewa
Hi, When im going to run asp.net website its giving this error. Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewall.  please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Pubudu  If you are running your site off of a different machine than you are developing on, you need to install and configure the Visual Studio Remote Debugger on that machine. try to change the address from http://localhost to http://yourIP...   i hope it's worked...mak...

Web resources about - Unable to start a web application. - asp.net.community-starter-kit

Second visa application 'likely' to be approved
The family of a terminally ill Pakistani student can 'hopefully come to Australia sooner rather than later' says Immigration Minister Peter Dutton. ...

Apple patent application reveals exciting possibilities for twin-camera system rumored for iPhone 7
We heard a report in November that Apple was testing an iPhone 7 model with dual rear cameras , and a patent application published today not ...

Panasonic Develops a Stretchable Resin Film and Its Application Materials for Stretchable Electronics ...
A stretchable film is developed. This film stretches to 2.5 times the original length and then returns to the original form. A conductive paste ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications ...
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 27 percent from ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush

Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released
CNN Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released CNN (CNN) The visa application of one of the San Bernardino shooters was released ...