Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server.

I downloaded IBuySpy Store VS VB on to my computer. I got the store database and VS project components. Every thing looks OK, except the following message pops up when I start the project:

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The project is not configured to be debugged.
What causes the above error? What can I do to fix it?
The project runs just fine without error if I start it without debugging.
Thanks for any help.

Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer"
0
thuhue
2/17/2004 7:38:55 PM
asp.net.commerce-starter-kit 1165 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Add the following line:

To the node in the Web.config.

good luck!
0
pohare2
2/18/2004 1:32:24 AM
same problem here ..  I have tried everything in the newsgroups...   even changing some process setting to system.    I disabled my McAfee firewall...     only thing I can see that someone said is my linksys router may not let the Debug verb through.   Is this for real.

xp pro ... everything works fine otherwise... I can attach to the wp process... have not figured out where to set a breakpoint to test yet.. but would like to not have to manually attach.
0
brian_c
2/19/2004 7:46:28 AM
I did what pohare2 said and fixed the problem.

Thanks.
Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer"
0
thuhue
2/19/2004 4:52:20 PM
Hello,

I had a similar problem. I did the following:
STEP 1
- In the web.config file, I added <compilation debug="true" /> under the <system.web> node as suggested by pohare2.
- However, I then get the following error when I hit F5 (Start):
-- This is what appears in a message box: "Error while trying to run the project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. There is no managed code running in the process. In order to attach to a process with the .NET debugger, managed code must be running in the process before attaching."
-- This is the message in the Output window: "Auto-attach to process '[516] aspnet_wp.exe' on machine '<MACHINE-NAME>' failed. Error code 0x8004000e."
STEP 2
- To solve the above error message, I found the way to manually attach to the aspnet_wp.exe process. You have to hit CTRL+F5 (Start without debugging). This will open the default page in IE without the debugging. Then go to Debug/Processes in the IDE and select aspnet_wp.exe and click Attach button. This method is mentioned in the .NET Framework Help.
- Ok, so doing that showed the Debug Pause and Stop buttons in the .NET IDE.
- Now, I add a breakpoint in the Registration page at the btnRegistor_Click event. In the IE window that is already opened by CTRL+F5, I go to the registration page, hit the Register button and it does not stop at the breakpoint.
- Closing IE window (that initially opened through CTRL+F5) does not stop the code execution. You have to hit the Stop button yourself.
Can anyone tell me:
1) How I can step through the entire code?
2) Why should I have to manually attach aspnet_wp.exe?
3) Why will .NET not do it on it's own? Or rather, what can I do to make it attach on it's own and simply hit F5 to run the project and be able to step through it?
I have another much bigger ASP.NET project running on my desktop (a different machine than this) that I downloaded from our VSS Server and didn't have any of these issues. I can step through the entire code and I do not have to do any manual attaching. I will look at the web.config file and project properties for it tomorrow. I hope I can figure this out but please advise me on this.
Thanks in advance for your help.
0
mortenharket
5/3/2004 7:51:09 AM
This may help: http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/whitepapers/howtosolvedebuggerproblems.doc
0
shedao
5/4/2004 5:02:30 PM
Thanks for sending that link shedao.  I looked at the web.config files on my desktop machine too and from the debugging standpoint, there is no difference.  Also, IIS on both the machines are set up in a similar fashion.

I am still unable to get rid of having to manually attach the aspnet_wp.exe process. I hop I can find a solution soon. I am a newbie at this stuff.
Thanks.
0
mortenharket
5/4/2004 9:13:04 PM

if you have a .NET 1.1 web app and try to build and run in debug mode against .NET 2.0 in visual studio 2003 you will get this too.

 Set the virtual directory to use 1.1 in iis to resolve this problem.

another thing to try is running an iisreset ... Start  > Run > iisreset or kill the aspnet_wp worker process.

I dabble in ...
SOA, WCF, Silverlight, XNA, ASP.NET.
... Come visit me @ www.ccoder.co.uk

My current setup ...
Dell XPS M1730 with Windows 7
Raid and SLI in a laptop with the latest from Microsoft, what more could a propgrammer want !
0
Wardy
3/7/2007 12:54:23 PM
Hello all,I had the same problem and none of the above fixed it. I'm running 2 frameworks 2.0 and 1.1. I had to do the following to switch to 1.1.In a dos prompt do the following:
cd c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
aspnet_regiis.exe -u
cd c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
aspnet_regiis.exe -i

Hope that helps someone. I have to do the opposite to go back to 2.0. I created bat files to do it. Kind of painful but it worked.

0
dymcgee
1/3/2008 10:16:17 PM

Excellent Excellent Excellent, I fix my problem. Thanks.Big Smile
0
tricamar
2/13/2008 9:13:12 PM

Excellent Excellent Excellent, I fixed my problem. Thanks.Big Smile
0
tricamar
2/13/2008 9:13:25 PM

SmileExcellent, I fix my problem. Thanks

0
abbas_m19
4/15/2008 5:09:35 AM

dymcgee:
Hello all,I had the same problem and none of the above fixed it. I'm running 2 frameworks 2.0 and 1.1. I had to do the following to switch to 1.1.In a dos prompt do the following:
cd c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
aspnet_regiis.exe -u
cd c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
aspnet_regiis.exe -i

 Yep. That did it for me too. Great idea with the batch files - thanks!! :)

0
Andarial
7/21/2008 8:26:01 PM

Yep I have the same problems. Somehow 1.1 and 2.0 is not compatitble when running side by side so I have to reset aspnet each time I want to use a different version of visual studio 2003 and 2005.

 I have a bat which I can run directly so I dont have to go through command DOS.

http://connectionstringexamples.com/article.php?story=20090112210930766.

 This has save me heaps of time.

Quang Vo - www.quangvo.com (All the money you can make online)
http://www.connectionstringexamples.com (All the database strings available on earth)
Health, Acne Care and Treatment Information
0
qvo178
1/16/2009 1:21:46 AM

I hv both .net 1.1 and 2.0 in my pc.

In VS 2005 i can run and debug any web appln where as in VS 2003 i can run any web appln in without debugging mode only.

when I try to run with debugging it show "Error while trying to Project:Unable to start Debugging on the web server"

can anyone suggest me what to do?

will the above mentioned solution in previous posts solve for my prob?

currently i installed aspnet_regiis for VS 2005

0
jaimaestro

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Server-side error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.
Why do I receive the following from: <appSettings> <add key="ConnectionString" value="server=SEVERNAME;database=databaseName;uid=sa;pwd=tester" /> </appSettings> SYMPTOMS When you debug an ASP.NET application in Visual Studio .NET, you may receive the following error message: Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Server-side error occurred on sending debug HTTP request. Make sure the server is operating correctly. Verify there are no syntax errors in web.config by doing a Debug.Start wit...

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request. Make sure the server is operating correctly. Verify there are no syntax errors in web.config by doing a Debug.Start Without Debugging. You may also want to refer to the ASP.NET and ATL Server debugging topic in the online documentation. Would you like to disable future attempts to debug ASP.NET pages for this project? Hi, i recommend u check this set of solutions Error: Unable to Start Debugging on the Web Server best of luck.Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCT...

Error while trying to run project: unable to start debugging on the web server. the project is not configured to be debugged
I keep getting this error after I made changes to the web.config file. Can someone tell me what am I doing wrong here? I can run the project with Start Without Debugging. What I want to do is restrict access in chksystems directory and allow users in the aspx directory. Thanks in advance. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration> <appSettings> <add key="strConnString" value="server=sqlserver;database=Dev;uid=sa;pwd=data" /> </appSettings> <system.web> ...

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The project is not configured to be debugged.
I have checked the webconfig file debug is set to true. I had to reinstall .net 2003 now I am getting this error  There are several common causes for this error message.  Most of them are covered in this KB article, along with a link to how to fix each one:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306172 Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

Error while trying to run project:Unable to start debuging on the web server. The project is not configured to be debuged.
hello friends,I m developing one project upto yesterday it run fines but today when i run the project it shown following error.Error while trying to run project:Unable to start debuging on the web server. The project is not configured to be debuged.Plz help me how to solve this problem.Thanks in advance,Regards,Sandeep Suryawanshi In the web.config file make sure the debug=true attribute is set in the compilation tag. <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true"/> HCHaissam Abdul MalakMCAD.NET| Blog | Hello sir,Thanks for reply,When i m adding this line in web.config. Problem ...

Error While Trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. You do not have permissions to debug the server. Verify that you are a member..
Hello. Can't quite figure out how to get this to work. It sounds like I am having permissions problems. Read through several articles but nothing worked so far. This is my configuration and what I have done.  Windows XP Pro, Visual Studio.Net 2003, IIS 5.1, Local debugging and hosting I had to re-install IIS again after Visual Studio.Net 2003 due to IIS not working the first time! Ran into a quick error of not being able to start due to permissions. So I typed this in at a dos command prompt:   %windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet-regiis.exe -i   ...

Error When Debugging (Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewa
Hi, When im going to run asp.net website its giving this error. Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewall.  please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Pubudu  If you are running your site off of a different machine than you are developing on, you need to install and configure the Visual Studio Remote Debugger on that machine. try to change the address from http://localhost to http://yourIP...   i hope it's worked...mak...

Error while trying to run the project: Unable to start debugging on web server. Debugging failed because integrated authentication is not enable.
Hi everyone,I am getting the following error while trying to run my window application in vs.net (vb.net),"Error while trying to run the project: Unable to start debugging on web server. Debugging failed because integrated authentication is not enable."Can anybody help me to resolve this error? Try this: http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/whitepapers/howtosolvedebuggerproblems.doc Or search the forums: http://forums.asp.net/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=Unable+to+start+debugging&f=&u= Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it ...

error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server
error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Access is denied. Would you like to disable future attempts to debug ASP.NET pages for this project? I get this message when I try run a project Why is this happening? I have checked the web config file and debug is set to true In the configuration manager debug is set. I have installed IIS before installing .NET what unknown Microsoft error is happening here?? if the solution is too uninstall and reinstall .NET, then the question will be how many times does a developer have to do this in hi...

Error while trying to run project:Unable to start debugging on web server.Access is denied.
Hi group members, I just started taking ASP.NET for this semester. I have spent all week trying to setup remote debugging on my Windows 2003 Web Server so I can connect to it from my Windows XP Pro SP2. I am going Crazy. I spent more time try to figure this out then doing my home work. I am certified as MCP for Win2000 Pro & WinSer2000, but this is driving mad!!! This is what I have done: Windows 2003 Web Server: 1. Share Permissions are setup on the wwwroot folder for full control. 2. Scripts and Executables is enabled 3. I part of the Debugger Users and Administrator...

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server.Click help for more information.
This error is making me suicidal,Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server.Click help for more information.I have 1.1 and 2.0 framework. I was able to run my 2003 adn 2005 applications with no issue till I installed SQL Server Rep Services 2005 , and now I can not run any of my applications for 2003, I have changed the framework option in IIS for those applications to 1.1, but it won't work,Please help. Is debug set to true in the applications web.config? If it's more complicated than that try running through this check list http://...

Urgent!!! Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server.Catastrophic failure
Hi I have installed win2000 on my machine at work place. When i treid to install IIS, it propmpted me to install Win2000 SP4 before it install IIS. So i downlaoded SP4 from microsoft website and installed it. After that it istalled IIS also. Then i installed VS.net Prof 2002 on the same machine whihc went well. Now if i try to debig my application it gives me the following error "Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server.Catastrophic failure. Would you like to disable future attempts to debug ASP.NET pages for this project?" Does any one have an...

Web resources about - Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. - asp.net.commerce-starter-kit

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away - YouTube
Google Tech Talk February 14, 2012 Presented by Ron Garret. ABSTRACT The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away The ...

Taking the pain out of debugging with live programming
"Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in the first place," Brian Kernighan once wrote (adding: "So if you're as ...

Microsoft acquires software for debugging Unity games
... Visual Studio's capabilities for game builders, Microsoft is acquiring SyntaxTree, creator of a widely used Visual Studio plug-in for debugging ...

Agile Learning, Debugging and Mikado Method in Methods & Tools Fall 2013 issue
Methods & Tools – the free e-magazine for software developers, testers and project managers – has just published its Fall 2013 issue with the ...

Apple releases Xcode 7.1.1 w/ fixes for critical Interface builder, debugging, and UI testing issues
... of the app, making for an improved developer experience. Apple also says the update fixes “critical issues” in the Interface Builder, debugging, ...

Chrome Beta for Android brings debugging tools to mobile web developers
YouTube link for mobile viewing Chrome Beta for Android brings a lot of cool features for users like you and me, but it also has a handy one ...