Eventcalender: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.

 I added an event in the eventcalender. When I try to view the events_calender.aspx I get this error message, what can be wrong??

Server Error in '/bfc_csk' Application.

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

  <%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
   <system.web>
       <compilation debug="true"/>
   </system.web>
</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.]
   ASP.events_calendar_aspx.__DataBinding__control7(Object sender, EventArgs e) +263
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +99
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +206
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +12
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren() +216
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +216
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +12
   ControlSample.EventCalendar.CreateDataBoundChildren(DataView dv, Table table, DateTime todaysDate, DateTime visibleDate, Calendar threadCalendar) +598
   ControlSample.EventCalendar.CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, Boolean dataBinding) +222
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data) +59
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.OnDataSourceViewSelectCallback(IEnumerable data) +111
   System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +29
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +149
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +70
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +82
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +69
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1360

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42
0
wahlbars
11/20/2005 12:12:58 AM
asp.net.club-site-starter-kit 1219 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The problem is with the ClubSite starter kit.  There are a few non-required fields which error when you retrieve the null fields from the db, and try to convert them to null so they can be passed to the truncate function.

0
segiles
12/7/2005 4:49:10 PM

The problem is with the ClubSite starter kit.  There are a few non-required fields which error when you retrieve the null fields from the db, and try to convert them to STRING so they can be passed to the truncate function.

I made a quick fix by applying a required field attributed.

0
segiles

System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'
Hello , I am a data table with null able Columns.I am not able to catch the value for DBNull. I did set a value to be returned as empty in dataset. Here is the code where i am trying to catch.1 public List GetStores() 2 { 3 List tmpStore = new List(); 4 StoresService.shopDBDataSet.StoresDataTable stores = 5 storesService.GetStores(); 6 for (int i = 0; i < stores.Count ; i++) 7 { 8 Store store = new Store(); 9 store.StoreID = stores[i].StoreID...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.
Hi i have the following which is meant to check if an image is available and if it isnt it should show a default image however, it gives me this error whenever the image is null in the database. This is the function which returns the error;protected string FormatImageUrl(object url) {if ((url != DBNull.Value) && (url != null) && (url.ToString().Trim().Length > 0)) { //if (File.Exists(url))return (url.ToString().Trim()); } else {return "~/images/default.gif"; } } Hey,Doesn't seem to pass the dbnull check.  Try to do:  if ((!DBNull.Valu...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.
Hi there, If I add a new event and leave the description field empty the StarterKit seems to throw a big wobbly over the null values in my DB (SQL2000). Have I made a mistake in the installation or something? The problem lies in this line: SharedRoutines.truncate((string)Eval("description")) because description is Null. I want to sort this in this line and I don't want to reply on validators? This is a known issue reported in the Identified Bugs and Fixes for the ClubSite Starter Kit post. I don't think there is one definitive answer. Search on your error message and you'll fin...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'
I have received the following error when I am logged in as administrator.  I wanted to test the load event feature.  Allows me to load and save new event.  I can view event on location view page but when I try to link to "list or calender" view I receive this error "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.  Debug highlights the <asp:HyperlinkID as errored line. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated Brian   <DayEventTemplate> <div style="padding: 3px;"> <asp:Hyper...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.
Hi i get the following error, Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.  A generic image is meant to appear when no image is found in the database for a particular product, this is how the code is laid out;protected string FormatImageUrl(string url) {if (url != null && url.Length > 0) { //if (File.Exists(url))return (url); } else {return "~/Images/CompanyProducts/No_image.jpg"; } }   And the html is like this; <asp:Image ID="Image1" ImageUrl='<%# (string) FormatImageUrl( (string) Ev...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.
Hi All, I am using Sql server 2005 and VS 2005 C#. Can anybody explain howz solve this prob? Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.Source Error: Line 3496: get { Line 3497: try { Line 3498: ...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'. #2
I am getting this error when I try to run the code below. The error is happening on the last for each loop || foreach (string s in dr.ItemArray) || Please see below:        private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)        {            string myOutput = "";            DataTable dt = new DataTable();            using (TextReader tr = File.O...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'. #2
 Hi:I am totally new to asp.net and downloaded the club website project. I have not done anything to the events page yet but as soon as i tried to add an event I got the following error. "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'." Can someone help me out here?ThanksBrian  This bug has been covered in the Identified Bugs and fixes section.  http://forums.asp.net/t/970081.aspx There are a few solutions and discussions on fixes, you will need to read through it to find the fix. Support@aspsksolutions.com Without kno...

System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.Byte[]'.
Hi All, I am trying to retrieve a Picture from an SQL 2005 database. Here is my code:Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load Dim ListingID As String = (Request.QueryString("GUID")) 'Connect to the database and bring back the image contents & MIME type for the specified pictureUsing myConnection As New SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("ConnectionStringListings").ConnectionString) Const SQL As String = "SELECT [Pic1Ext], [Picture1] FROM [Listings] WHERE [ListingID] = @ListingID"C...

"Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.String[]'."
hi i'm using the following statement in my applicationstring[] strTArray = new string[5]; strTArray = (string[])(Session["TextDataArray"]); when i run the application its giving the below error {"Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.String[]'."} can anyone say how to solve this thanks in advance Archu What are you storing in the TextDataArray session? What is the data type you are storing?   RegardsBilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCTMicrosoft MVP - Telerik MVP...

Unable to cast object of type '<>f__AnonymousType1`3[System.Guid,System.String,System.String]' to type 'aspnet_User'.???
Hi everyone, What does this error mean?  ERROR: Unable to cast object of type '<>f__AnonymousType1`3[System.Guid,System.String,System.String]' to type 'aspnet_User'. Thank's a lot /PepePepe JoseNewbie@C#.Net&jRuby What type is in your DataItem?  A Guid? or a String?  Either way, it's telling you cant cast it to a aspnet_User type.  Let us know what your DataItem is and we can help further.Good Luck and happy programming!Let's build community! If my post helped you, mark it as the Answer and I will do the same when you help me.....

How do I get around this error "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String' "
I am using Visual Developer 2008 Express Edition for the first time, and I keep getting the following error below. The site allows anyone to enter with a valid username and password, but even when I logoff the site I get the same error....like the memory or database is not getting refreshed. I would think that when I initially compile the site that anything left in memory would be flushed out. Can someone please help me to figure this out. Thanks,Ramell P.S. The site is programmed using C#    Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String&...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.String[]' to type 'System.IConvertible'.
hi expert   i try get the string from request.querystring("CID") from the error messege i know that is string[] (array) how to convert it to int32 and request.querystring("CID") is int value   Line 19: protected void ObjectDataSourceCarPicture_Inserting(object sender, ObjectDataSourceMethodEventArgs e) Line 20: { Line 21: e.InputParameters.Add("CID", Convert.ToInt32(Request.QueryString.GetValues("CID")) ); Line 22: // e.InputParameters.Add("CID", Convert.ToInt32( Convert.ToString( a Request.QueryString.GetValues("CID"))))); Line 23: ...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.Byte[]'.
I'm getting Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.Byte[]'. anyone knows how to write some code to check if my binary data is null then continue check another data? I've tried but seems that byte and string can't convert...  (hope someone can provide me code in VB and where to insert them :))  Here's my code:Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load Dim ID As Integer = Convert.ToInt32(Request.QueryString("ID"))Using myConnection As New SqlConnection(Configuratio...

Web resources about - Eventcalender: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'. - asp.net.club-site-starter-kit