Difference between client side scripting and server side scripting

Hi,
     Can u  plz, explain why the server side scripting is necessary, inorder to write the client side scripting. What is the main difference between the client side scripting and server side scripting.

0
chandrasekhar

Client-side scripting is code that is executed on the client side, such as JavaScript. Server-side scripting is code that is executed on the server, such as VB, VB.NET, C#, or J#. For a better definition of server-side scripting and when it's necessary, please visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server-side_scripting
Ryan Olshan
ASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NET
http://ryanolshan.com

How to ask a question
0
StrongTypes
12/16/2005 6:17:42 AM
Hello chandrasekhar,

> why the server side scripting is necessary, inorder to write the client side scripting.

this is usually needed when attaching event handlers to server controls, since you don't have the corresponding attributes on the control declaration in page. Another reason is registering startup and client scripts.

Anyway writing client scripts from the server side should be reduced to the minimum, not to mix layers, so, in instance, when you register a script, instead of outputting a complete function, you are usually better putting the function as usual on the client-side, and just outputting a call to it...

Hope this help, and welcome to these forums! -LV

Julio P. Di Egidio
Software Analyst Programmer
=BUSINESS AND SCIENTIFIC=
=SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT=
http://julio.diegidio.name

(Peace X Love] = [++1)
0
LudovicoVan

client-side scripting or server-side scripting
I want to perform data validation in my page using javascript before the data is sent to my server, but I am very confuse that I don't know which way to perform, client-side validation or server-side validation? My javascript bible told me that javascript is a client-side scripting for data validation in client pc, but when I look in my asp.net bible, the validation part is done at server side. The worst is that, I find no way to use javascript in .asp or .aspx environment. I am really confuse with all these, could any one help me on this? Thanks. Use .NET validator co...

client side script Vs Server side Script
Which is better ? Using Client Side validations with Java Script or Using Server Side validation controls provided in asp.net You should use both... Client-side for a rich user experience and server-side to support browsers without javascript support or with javascript turned off....

Client-Side scripting vs Server-Side scripting
hello I need an article that spaeks about Client-Side scripting vs Server-Side scripting,and when i need to use one of them thank you for the help and for the time here are some good links to a bunch of articles on that subject...

Call server-side script from client-side script
Hi to all, I would like to ask you How can i call from client-side script a server-side script and to have the result from the server-side script in the client-side script. For example, i wand to call a function writing in server-side (DynaScript) script from a client-side script (JAVASCRIPT) and to have an answer from the function. Thanks in advance. Nick, One way that you could get round this is to write your client script code as you would server script eg. <SCRIPT language=javascript> function getValue()... would be written as: <% psDocument.WriteLn(&...

How to call a client side script from a server side script?
Hi guys, I have a Button1_Click function which gets executed on the server side as soon as Button1 is clicked. I have a client side function, test, which is  written in vbscript. I need to call this test function from the Button1_Click function. Can anyone of you please tell me how to do this? The test function is inside an asp:content tag (Please excuse my terminology if I am wrong, I am new to all this).  Thanks and Regards, RJ Have you tried to use the below code Button1.Attributes.Add("onclick","test()"); HCHaissam Abdul MalakMCAD.NET| Blog | Yes, ...

Acessing Variable, declared in the client side script, from the server side script
I'd like to know how can I use variables declared in the client side script from the server side script. Thanks! You cannot. The only way is to pass them as arguments to the server-side script. -- Larry Cermak [Team Sybase] Corporate Technology Partners EAServer Training & Consulting Coming Soon: Web DataWindow Book Web DataWindow Articles: http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1003371 "Jeong-Su, Hwang" <hjs@i4biz.co.kr> wrote in message news:s9YmFSfKAHA.201@forums.sybase.com... > I'd like to know how can I use variables declared in the cl...

Acessing variables, declared in the server side script, from the client side script
I'd like to know how can I use variables declared in the server side script from the client side script. P.S.: I'm using JavaScript in the server side script and in the client side script. I don't like to use ASP. Thanks! One example that come to mind: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv="Content-Type"> <META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307"> <SCRIPT language=JavaScript> ...

Client-Side and Server Side Scripting
Hi, im currenty in the process of trying to get an asp.net page to work with both <script> and <script runat="server" tags... idea being, i have a <script> tag which holds all the client side scripting for my webpage, at the moment this is just some slider controls which i have created (the scripting behind this is actually from someone on a different forum, which i have modified to do what i want..) - but i also want a <script runat="server"> tag to hold all the code for the buttons pressed etc in my web-page. im trying my hardest not to use a ...

I have a question which is, when building a .net project, we are able to use server side code and client side code(java script). How do they communicate? Thanks Client Side coding works with the WebBrowser. So when ever you write client side code you have to keep browser compatability in your mind and you have to code. Server Side code works with Web Server (IIS) and it's ASPNET ISAPI's. The won't directly communicate with each other. But using AJAX you can all server side code from Client Side! Example article on Ajax@ http://www.devarticles.com/index2.php?option=content&task=...

Calling server side scripts from client side
Hello, Can Anyone help out from the following : It is regarding calling server side scripts from client side events. I am able to instantiate a jaguar component in the server side script written in the body of the HTML page as follows : <% var mycomp = java.CreateComponent ("pkg_dispatch/n_jaguar", "iiop://jaguar:9000", "Jagadmin", "" ); if (mycomp == null) { document.writeln("ERROR: failed to instantiate !"); return; } %> I want to use the instance of the jaguar component else wher...

Server side Variable in client side script
Hello, I want to access the variable defined in the server side script from the client side. Can anyone help out with an example ??? TIA, Rakesh Babaria I think what you do is write is as a java script variable, so something like this: <!--SCRIPT var ls_serverVar ls_serverVar = "whatever"; document.writeln("<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>"); document.writeln("var xyz = " + ls_serverVar); document.writeln("</SCRIPT>"); --> Then in your client script, you'll be able to get XYZ. ...

without server side scripting, can we upload a file using client side scripting if destination folder and config file settings are known? is it possible?
without server side scripting, can we upload a file using client side scripting if destination folder and config file settings are known? is it possible? avdp211:without server side scripting, can we upload a file using client side scripting if destination folder and config file settings are known? is it possible? I don't think it is possible.You use the the HTML input file control and when you post the request, on the web server you need to read the data and save it to a file, so there has to be some interaction with the server to handle the post request.  Not possible vi...

Client side script calling Server side functions
Hi, I'm currently developing an ajax.net enabled aspx page that contains a usercontrol (which is based on the listbox but extends it to include icons to represent invalid data). http://www.djcharlie.co.uk/WeeeCareResolutionCentre.jpg I want the onClick event of the selected TR to call an asp.net server function which then populates the controls to the right hand side in the page. Obviously because the row is just rendered HTML overriden from the base class I can only assign a javascript function to the onClick event. So I need a way of calling a server side function that will populate th...

calling server side function from client side script
i have a web form that includes a function named "koko()" in its server side class i want to write a script code in in its HTML script that will be run at the client side, and this client side script will call the function "koko()" from the server side. in brief : i want to call a server side function from a client side script... can you help me in this You can't call server-side code directly from client-side code. You can, however, trigger a postback that your server-side code watches for and triggers the server-side code appropriately. You can do some ...

Web resources about - Difference between client side scripting and server side scripting - asp.net.client-side

What’s the Difference Between Gen Y and Gen Z?
... in relation to purchasing habits, top brands, or preferred networks, download the report and check out the infographic below for key differences ...

Differences Matter
I was struck by this paragraph in the Slate piece on our portfolio company YouNow this weekend: In theory, YouNow sounds a bit like Twitter’s ...

There will be one huge difference when you see the new ‘Star Wars’ movie in theaters
When you head out to see "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," the film will have one very big change as soon as the movie starts. Up until now, each ...

Harrison Ford Mocks Trump: You Can’t Tell The Difference Between Movies And Real Life
Harrison Ford Mocks Trump: You Can’t Tell The Difference Between Movies And Real Life

Can you spot the differences between fact-checking a GOP debate and whack-a-mole?
It shouldn’t come as any big surprise that Tuesday night’s Republican presidential debate was a bonanza for fact-checkers. Here are a few of ...

DNews: Sociopath vs. Psychopath: What's the Difference?
From real life to movies and TV, we often hear the terms sociopath and psychopath tossed around as though they mean the same thing. While the ...