Client side to execute server side code

I am maintaining an ASP.NET C# application written by someone else.  I am essentially a newbie to web development especially client side stuff.  Based on reading these forums I understand that I can't directly call a server side method from the client side and I have to use post pack in some way (using a webservice is not an option here).  My confusion comes from the HTML setup being used.

The page has three frames; a header, body and footer.  Each frame is filled by it's own ASPX page.  The footer contains buttons for navigating to another page and some of the body ASPX pages contain buttons for saving the data.  The goal is to 'autosave' the data in the body when a user clicks a button in the footer this way clicking the save button isn't necessary.  So my questions are:

Can the buttons in the footer frame do a post back for the save buttons in the body frame?  Is there special addressing syntax needed for the javascript to see across frames?

Can I test for the existence of a Save button in the body frame to determine if a post back is necessary?

I suppose if this is possible, I have to handle an 'onClick' for each footer button to call a javascript that does the Save button post back.

I hope this made sense and thanks in advance for the help.

- John Mer
0
jcmercure

it is possible. you will have to do some cross-frame javascript but it should be simple.

first, for checking if the save button exists, you can do something like this (say, the id for the button is btnSave)

if (document.getElementById('btnSave') != undefined) {
   //save document
}

this code will only execute if Javascript can find the button.

Now, regarding the cross frame javascript, you need to follow the guidelines of the document object model (DOM). basically, each frameset belongs to a parent page, which is the same for all of them. Thus they are 'children' of that parent page. In order to call another frame, you have to first call the parent, and then the other child frame.

example:

parent.frame2

in that case, you are positioned at a specific frame and you are calling first the parent, and then the other child frameset (with an id='frame2')

finally call the javascript function in the target frame

parent.frame2.SaveData();

this last function should execute a regular ASP.NET postback.  so you need to grab the id of the <form> with runat=server and execute a submit event. In javascript it would be like:

form1.submit();

...hope this helps ;)

"Never argue with an idiot; He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"
0
javiguillen

Execute the client side and server side code
Hi, Hi, I have two drop down lists one ddl1, ddl2. when ddl1 index is changed I have to change the label before the ddl1 and contents of ddl2. 1) to change the label before ddl2, I am using the javascript like this:ddl1.Attributes.Add("onchange", "changeLabelText(this); return false;"); Javascript function<script language="javascript"> function changeLabelText(ddl) { var indx = ddl.selectedIndex; var lbl = document.getElementById('<%= lblSelect.ClientID %>'); if(indx == 0) lbl.innerHTML = "Select A:"; if(indx == 1)lbl.i...

executing server side code and client side (javascript) code simultaneously while clicking a button
how to execute server side code and client side (javascript) code simultaneously while clicking a button in asp.net. You can't. When clicking a button: the client-side executes, the page does a PostBack, then the server-side executes.NC... what if i want to update a database and then open a new windows is it possible with Jscript.net?...

client side code & server side code
what is the difference between client side coding & server side coding ? when to use client side & server side code? Client side code runs on the user's browser and includes languages such as javascript and vbscript. Server side code runs on the web server and can be written in languages such as ASP.NET, PHP, ASP, ColdFusion etc. Website Design Darlington - http://mdssolutions.co.ukhttp://lessthandot.com - Experts, Information, Ideas & Knowledgehttp://aspnetlibrary.com - An online resource for professional ASP.NET developersPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer...

client side and server side code
Making things clear:When creating a web application one must know the difference between client side code and server side code.client side code is the code that is executed on the computer of the user. server side code is the code that is executed on the ....server.why is there client side code and server side code?well... server side code exist for the reason of sharing data with multiple users. for example: accessing a database.ASP.NET is a server side technology. in ASP.net you can use different languages such as VB.NET or C#.client side code is used to perform tasks on the computer of th...

Is it possible to call client side function from server side code without initial client request?
Atlas is great. I'm using timer to periodically check database changes on server to populate client side controls with new data. Is it possible to do it without a lot of client requests to server which takes a huge useless network traffic? Server should call client side function on all connected clients when, for example, 'database updated' event occurs on server. Thanks. Hi~ Just for your interest, I think you could have a look at Comet, many web IM like Gmail's embeded Gtalk and meebo.com are built on this architecture你好! Just FYI o_O...

How to execute server side code using VBscript bcz i need at client side.

How to Excecute Server side code in Client Side
I have a Textbox with linkButton on right side.  if i click linkbutton i have one text box agian in poup. if we enter some text and click search button i am showing ListView with searched data in Poup. the Listview contains one Radio Button at eash row. Now my request is if i select one radiobuton and click "OK"  the poup should close and display the selected row text in TextBox in my Page where the Linkbutton Presents. i can do it on my server side on "Okbutton_Click" . i wabnt to do this in Client side only with out PostBack.   Is ther...

Calling server-side code from client-side
Hi,  I´m implementing some shortcut functionality in my web forms and wanna know where i can find something that explains, for example, how to call the handler event "onclick" of a button. I´m using this library to add shortcuts to my controls: http://www.openjs.com/scripts/events/keyboard_shortcuts/   And I want to "link" some key combination for the event handlers of the controls. Does anybody knows?  Thanks. You could attach an AJAX event to the Javascript shortcut event handler so, for example, the shortcut function will trigger a button cl...

Server-side execution vs. client-side
Hello, I am doing aspx web programming using vb asp.net in MS Visual Studio.  I am trying to make my program to when the user clicks on a button that my program launches another software package that we own (in this case the other software package is called Syteline).  The way that I am trying to accomplish this is via the CreateObject function route.  My program is running on the web server.  While I am sitting on the server that contains this Syteline application, I open up Internet Explorer and launch my web program.  When I click on the button, it gives me ...

Server-side or Client-side
In general, I'm wondering if there are any criteria to use when choosing between using a client side element or a server side element. For example, if I'm going to put an HTML table on a page, how do I decide whether or not to use a server control?  Should the server side always be chosen or if there is not explicit server side functionality required is it better to opt for a "normal" client side table? Obviously, if there is a need for server side control the question is answered, I'm looking more at more ambiguous situations. Thanks  This is from Micros...

What is Client Side and Server Side?
I am New of ASP.Net What we can and should do client side and Server Side? What uses? Please any one clear my doubt. Thanking YouEndendrum Priyamudan P m R Clientside is basically what a person can see and serverside is where actions get processed. that's kinda simply puyt but thats the deal, you code serverside, and the html and javascript it generates let's the users for example click a button, then serverside you have coded what should happen when a button gets clicked for example turn text red. Then the server sends a new page with red text to the client (clientside...

Server Side or Client Side
Hi I'm a bit confused about this whole server side / client side thing. Are applets, embeded objects consider client side? If I have a form within my aspx page which connects to a database on the server side what is it considered? If I have some business logic written within a VB file when the client access the functions within that business logic (for example some kind of validation function) does the client browser actually downloads that VB file? Can someone suggest how to differentiate between client side and server side components within a asp.net based website?  Hi, i can&#...

Client side and server side
We have a application, where we have some validation on the clientside using EnableClientSideValidation. If you don't have fullscreen you can't see some of the error-messages. What we want is to jump to the place on the page where the message is displayed. One problem is that the button is a serverbutton (runat="server"). How can we accomplish this on the clientside using the same button. I have tried to use "onClientClick" and a link something like this:   <A HREF=http://forums.asp.net/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=18#form>form<...

Web resources about - Client side to execute server side code - asp.net.client-side

Execute (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Execute is the debut album of So Solid Crew members, Oxide & Neutrino . It includes the Casualty sampling number 1 single " Bound 4 Da Reload ...

eXecute by J.P. Morgan on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about eXecute by J.P. Morgan. Download eXecute by J.P. Morgan and enjoy ...

Occupy Wall Street Protester Wants To Execute "White Collar Criminals" - YouTube
A protester at Occupy Wall Street tells National Review's Charles C. W. Cooke that he wouldn't want to be president because of his "dark side," ...

Taliban gunman publicly executes woman near Kabul
A man, Afghan officials say is a member of the Taliban, shot dead a woman accused of adultery in front of a crowd near Kabul, a video obtained ...

How Indonesia will execute death row inmates
Bali Nine drug traffickers Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran will have some small choices in the way they die and those who execute them will ...

Pakistan to execute 500 terror convicts
Pakistan plans to execute about 500 militants in coming weeks after the government lifted a moratorium on the death penalty in terror cases following ...

North Korea 'executes' leader's ex (00:47)
According to South Korean reports, the ex-girlfriend of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was put to death on pornography allegations.

Mentally ill Brazilian Rodrigo Gularte fit to execute: Indonesia
A Brazilian man whom the Attorney-General has proclaimed fit to execute with the Bali nine organisers was first diagnosed with a mental illness ...

Somalia executes Aden Sheikh Abdi for the murder of journalist Hassan Yusuf Absuge
SOMALIA has executed a man who was convicted of murdering a journalist, a military official said, the first such execution in a country where ...

Fury as Indonesia executes foreigners
The execution of five foreign nationals in Indonesia has caused outrage in countries who had pleaded for clemency for their citizens.