Browser Freezing / Locking Up on Async Client Side Web Service Calls

I have an application that uses AJAX and WCF. On some of the pages, some of the time (not consistently), when making an asyncronous web service call and an exception is thrown by the WCF service, the error handler delegate on the client is called correctly, passing the parsed fault and context, and then I do something with the error by injecting the message in a div then displaying that div using a ModalPopupExtender from the AJAX Extensions Toolkit. The modal always displays correctly and makes displaying errors pretty slick, however sometimes when clicking a button in the modal, then calling $find("behaviorID").hide();, the entire browser locks up, I can't even minimize it, close, it, nothing, just stops responding. This happens in IE 7.

 Outside of the AJAX Extensions Toolkit, I have an instance where the exception stack is returned by the success delegate as a string from a web service call and displayed in a simple div, nothing more and sometimes once it is displayed, the browser locks up. I am using 3.5 Framework.

Here is the sample service call that seems to be causing the most trouble at the moment. It seems to happen anywhere that I update the DOM for that page from either the success or failure delegate:

function showLastLeads(num){
	LeadsManager.StatisticsService.get_LastLeadsHtml(EmployeeKey, num, get_LastLeadsHtml_Success, get_LastLeadsHtml_Failure, "");
}
function get_LastLeadsHtml_Success(result){
	var lastLeads = $get("lastLeads");
	if (lastLeads) lastLeads.innerHTML = result;
}
function get_LastLeadsHtml_Failure(error){
	DisplayError(error.get_message());
}

 Thanks,

Chad

Chad Scharf
http://www.chadscharf.com

Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" if someone answers your question.
0
chadscharf

Any ideas on this. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I've actually been debugging and attached to the browser and server when this has happened (although it also happens in our QA/UAT environment fully deployed as well) and there is no stack information when the browser locks.

Chad Scharf
http://www.chadscharf.com

Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" if someone answers your question.
0
chadscharf
4/11/2008 4:16:37 PM

This issue, turns out, was being caused by a bug in IE when a div tag has its style.display = "none" set via script. So, since I was using the ModalPopupExtender to show error messages, when the user clicked "Dismiss" to close the error message pop-up, the browser would freeze, which had nothing to do with the WCF service itself.

 I found the answer to this via a Microsoft KB Article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884534, and after applying the fix (simple registry entry) and rebooting my machine I have yet to experience this behavior since. The KB article said that Vista SP1 contained the fix for it, but apparenetly when I installed SP1 it felt it unecessary to patch my IE instance.

Hopefully this will help anyone else experiencing the same issue. Spending 100+ hours writing a pure JavaScript/ WCF web application to increase performance of a data and UI intensive app it was very frustrating that it would lock up sometimes on my machine, luckily no-one else in the company experienced this issue once it went live.

Thanks,

Chad

Chad Scharf
http://www.chadscharf.com

Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" if someone answers your question.
0
chadscharf

Calling a web service in client side C#
Hello,  I am trying to call a web service in client side C# code, having it as a datasource on the page to use. I cannot have a codebehind file due to limitations. Does anyone know how to do this or have suggestions?  Thanks! What do you mean by "client side C#"? -- "Mark As Answer" if my reply helped you -- Hi check this link http://aspdotnetcodebook.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-call-webservice-with-aspnet-ajax.html   if you have any problem.. feel free to contact.     "Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you Santosh kuma...

Is it possible to call client side function from server side code without initial client request?
Atlas is great. I'm using timer to periodically check database changes on server to populate client side controls with new data. Is it possible to do it without a lot of client requests to server which takes a huge useless network traffic? Server should call client side function on all connected clients when, for example, 'database updated' event occurs on server. Thanks. Hi~ Just for your interest, I think you could have a look at Comet, many web IM like Gmail's embeded Gtalk and meebo.com are built on this architecture你好! Just FYI o_O...

Losing Scope after client-side call to Web Service
Hello, thank you in advance of taking the time to read this. I seem to be losing all page scope after a client side call to a web service.  This hasn't happened before, but admittedly this is the second time I have done client-siding, so I am hoping I am missing a setting or something. In the example code below, getBedTypeCount() returns '5', which is supposed to modify the global variable helloWord. The alert(result) returns 5, but as soon as the setBedTypeCount() completes, the scope is lost and helloWorld returns to the default value of 1. I also tried inserting...

Call remotely hosted web service from client-side?
All of the examples I have seen call the *.asmx file using a relative path but I need to reference a URL such as http://www.domain.com/webservice.asmx to call a remote web service. In the Atlas days I believe this was done using a bridge (*.asbx) but I can't seem to find any recent information regarding this method. Does it still exist? Anyone know how to accomplish this? Thanks, Janea Hi, my buddy Garbin (Allesandro Gallo) wrote an interesting article about this recently: Mash-it Up with ASP.NET AJAX: Using a proxy to access remote APIs. Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox ...

Bind data to the grid at the client side using AJAX call to web service
With the Current AJAX Tool kit is there a way to databound the grid at the client side.  Basically I want to make a WCF web service all and get the JSON message and populate the grid at the cient side. I am using Visual studio 2005 with .NET frame work 3.0. Please point out if tehre are any examples. I truly appreciate any help regarding this. Thanks I hope this article will help you. http://www.aspdotnetcodes.com/Ajax_ModalPopup_PostBack_GridView.aspxMarking a Reply as 'Answered', not only GAIN us some POINTS, but it also HELP others to find RIGHT solution. Thanks for the...

Call Server Side methods from Client Side
Hi, How to call Server Side methods from ClientSide with results back. Earlier we were using Anthem approach but now want to use some thing with AJAX. Thanks in Advance.  RegardsSreenivas. you can use the page methods of the ClientScript  control ,please read  : http://aspalliance.com/1294_CodeSnip_Handle_Browser_Close_Event_on_the_ServerSide Regards,Anas Ghanem.Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wrong on the forums (like duplicate ,Off-topic,offensive,or any post that violates the website "TERMS OF USE...

Call server side method from client side...
I'm using Jquery to call a modal popup dialog and depend on what user select i nead to call a method to populate my generic list can that be don or is no posible way to do that...     Sorry for my bad english...Florim Maxhuni  If you need to call the server from the clientside, you need to look into Ajax Eric Pascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn...

Calling server-side code from client-side
Hi,  I´m implementing some shortcut functionality in my web forms and wanna know where i can find something that explains, for example, how to call the handler event "onclick" of a button. I´m using this library to add shortcuts to my controls: http://www.openjs.com/scripts/events/keyboard_shortcuts/   And I want to "link" some key combination for the event handlers of the controls. Does anybody knows?  Thanks. You could attach an AJAX event to the Javascript shortcut event handler so, for example, the shortcut function will trigger a button cl...

How to call server side function on client side
Hi,   How to call server side function on client side? here i want to call change() function on textbox onchange event.   <script language="javascript">    function serverfunction()    {    }    </script><input id="Text1" onchange="javascript:serverfunction();"  type="text" /> code behind:  public void change()    {        Response.Write("hello");    } <script type=&quo...

Calling a client side function from the server side

Calling server side scripts from client side
Hello, Can Anyone help out from the following : It is regarding calling server side scripts from client side events. I am able to instantiate a jaguar component in the server side script written in the body of the HTML page as follows : <% var mycomp = java.CreateComponent ("pkg_dispatch/n_jaguar", "iiop://jaguar:9000", "Jagadmin", "" ); if (mycomp == null) { document.writeln("ERROR: failed to instantiate !"); return; } %> I want to use the instance of the jaguar component else wher...

Client-Side Web Service
 HiI m using first time web-service, i want to use client side web-service, know if user is login or logout, for that purpose i want to use web services.any can help me Nothing is really over,untill the moment stop trying for it...Amitsp(MCTS,MCP)sqlreporting.blogspot.com  Maybe this two links can help you: Logging In with Ajax Sys.Services.AuthenticationService ClassBlog: http://blogs.mscommunity.net/blogs/borissevo/Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post fixed your problem. Hi, ...

differences between server side asynchronous Web methods and client side asynchronous Web methods
Hi,   can anyone expalin what are the differences between server side asynchronous Web methods  and client side asynchronous Web methods in ASP.Net 2.0 ?   any best articles on serverside asynchronous Web methods  ?   Thanks,  hi, check this url, Server-Side Asynchronous Methods for ASP.NET, http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/asyncws.aspx   Calling the Server-Side method asynchronously from Client Script, http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/dipenlama22/Callbacks07182006093320AM/Callbacks.aspx...

List of client side function of extenders and controls for client side

Web resources about - Browser Freezing / Locking Up on Async Client Side Web Service Calls - asp.net.client-side

Freezing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Freezing , or solidification , is a phase transition in which a liquid turns into a solid when its temperature is lowered below its freezing ...

Facebook, Apple Add Egg Freezing to Benefits
Technology companies are known for their employee perks and benefits , and a new addition joined the offerings at both Facebook and Apple , as ...

Search Twitter - freezing office
... using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Search Refresh Dude Ranch Nurse @ JenAlice 54m Dunno if flu or what but I'm freezing ...

Top 10 Hiring Mistakes, #6: Freezing Out Your Team
... the candidate across a table, and later making the final decision about who to bring on. But like nearly Top 10 Hiring Mistakes, #6: Freezing ...

App Store - Freezing Birds
Get Freezing Birds on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

our freezing office? - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore adrienna's photos on Flickr. adrienna has uploaded 3915 photos to Flickr.

Freezing Soap Bubbles, Joplin MO, Jan 6, 2014 - YouTube
The segments that make up this video were recorded in Joplin MO, on January 6, 2014 between 8:23 a.m. and 9:24 a.m. The temperature at the beginning ...

Social Experiment of the Day: Kid Pretends to be Homeless and Freezing in NYC
In the latest “you won’t believe what happens next” social experiment to go viral, a young boy pretends to be homeless and freezing in New York. ...

Bushwalkers lost on freezing Mount Bogong found alive
Two bushwalkers who went missing in a blizzard on Mount Bogong in the state&#8217;s north-east were found alive after surviving freezing temperatures ...

Holes in the ceiling and mould forces Gungahlin man Grant Seears out of freezing apartment
A Gungahlin man claims he is unable to live in his freezing community housing apartment due to lack of maintenance which has forced him to live ...