Get file name of uploaded file

Hello,

 Is there a way to grab the full name of the file that is being uploaded?  The software automatically changes it when uploading.

Thanks,

Michael

0
Michael_poz
4/24/2007 4:42:28 PM
asp.net.classified-starter-kit 974 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Michael,

If you are using the FileUpload control you can use the PostedFile.FileName property.  If you need just the name and not the path, you can use Path.GetFileName(fileControl.PostedFile.FileName)

Is this what you are looking for?

~Ben
0
benpyle
4/24/2007 7:12:01 PM
Thanks Ben, but have you ever looked at the Classified Starter kit?  It does not use the FileUpload control.
0
Michael_poz
4/24/2007 9:50:11 PM
Michael,

I have not. What is the control that it is using? Is it a <input type="file" />?  If so, that has a posted file property on it too.

~Ben
0
benpyle
4/25/2007 2:06:05 AM

Michael_poz:
Thanks Ben, but have you ever looked at the Classified Starter kit?  It does not use the FileUpload control.

ManagePhotos.aspx:

<asp:DetailsView ID="UploadPhotoDetailsView" runat="server" DataSourceID="PhotoDataSource"
    DefaultMode="Insert" DataKeyNames="Id" AutoGenerateRows="False" OnItemInserting="UploadPhotoDetailsView_ItemInserting"
    CellPadding="5" GridLines="None" CellSpacing="5">
    <Fields>
        <asp:TemplateField>
            <InsertItemTemplate>
                <asp:FileUpload ID="PhotoFile" runat="server" FileBytes='<%# Bind("UploadBytes") %>' />
            </InsertItemTemplate>
        </asp:TemplateField>
        <asp:CommandField ShowInsertButton="True" InsertText="Upload Photo" ButtonType="Button"
            ShowCancelButton="False"></asp:CommandField>
    </Fields>
    <InsertRowStyle Width="50%"></InsertRowStyle>
</asp:DetailsView>

0
mattbug
4/25/2007 12:47:18 PM

Thanks guys,

 I was able to use this:

FileUpload fu = (FileUpload)UploadView.Rows[0].FindControl("uFile");

Michael

0
Michael_poz

How to get a file type name from the uploading file?
Ex. i m uploading a file name from path c:\inetpub\wwwroot\rt\images\product\cat.txt how can i get "txt" from this path when uploading? Thank you. System.IO.Path.GetExtension(filename) -> ".txt"Lostinet (Li Jian Dai) .NET MVP http://www.lostinet.com/ for LWTree/DatePicker http://www.contextboundmodel.net/ for AOP.NET...

File Upload Problem
Hi Everyone,I was grateful to be able to download the code for uploading files into a folder from Sreedhar's web page. The code works well, but whenever there is another new file with the same file name being uploaded into the destination folder, the old file will be replaced. I am wondering if there is any way to solve this problem (How about adding a number to the new file's name, e.g. File1.doc, if there is an existing File.doc?) I am an absolute beginner and any help is deeply appreciated.The original code is as follows: <%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/MasterP...

File name inserting as NULL instead of actual file name after file is uploaded to server
I have a form that a user makes a selection from a drop down list and uploads a file.   Once the file is uploaded to the server, I also do an insert into a sql database to get the value from the dropdown list and ideally, the name of the file they uploaded.   However, I can't figure out how to grab the name of the file after it has been uploaded and include it in the insert.    Here's my vb.net code behind where I get the file and do the insert.    How can I grab the name of the file, and insert it into the "UploadTitle" fie...

File name of uploaded file.
I'm using this routine to upload a file to the server.  'Filebox.PostedFile.FileName' contains the full path from the user's desktop e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\evanburen\Desktop\myfile.doc.  How can I grab just the filename itself e.g. myfile.doc?  Thanks.Dim TheFile As String = FileBox.PostedFile.FileName        If TheFile.Length > 0 Then                          Dim FilePath As String = MapPath("") + "\attachments\"...

File Upload How to get the path of the file
Hello to Everybody,The situation is the following I am using a Form to send a email with attachment that I get name from FileUpload Control, after I create a button that transfer the Path and name of the File but only transfer the File Name and the path are not included.Somebody can help me on how to get the path  from the control FileUpload    Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click        txtAttachmentPath.Text = FileUpload1.FileName    End Sub Thanks ev...

File uploading
Hi, How do i get the file size when a user uploads a file? i can now get the filename and it uploads the file to my server correctly, but i'm unable to get the file size of the file... These are the codes i used... fn = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(FileField.PostedFile.FileName) fs = FileField.PostedFile.ContentLength Even these set of codes also won't work... fn = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(FileField.PostedFile.FileName) fs = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(FileField.PostedFile.ContentLength) The error that i get when i added the 2nd line of code to get the ...

File name for FTP file upload
I want to use FtpWebRequest to upload a Stream from my Web site to my FTP server. How do I specify the file path on my FTP server where the data is to be stored? Hi drmacy, I think you can find the file you uploaded at the path with the stringstring you used to create the FtpWebRequest. Why don't you have a test yourself? Just try to upload a file and find it on your server and see what is its path? Also, here are some articles may be useful for you about the FtpWebRequest: FtpWebRequest Class @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.ftpwebrequest.aspx Uploading Fil...

Unique File Names with File Upload
Back in classic ASP, I would often implement code like the following to ensure uploaded files had unique names. varFileExt = Mid(upl.UserFilename, InstrRev(upl.UserFilename, ".")) varFileName = Mid(upl.Form("file1").ServerName,InstrRev(upl.Form("file1").ServerName, "\") + 1) varFileName = Replace(varFileName, ".tmp", varFileExt)upl.Form("file1").SaveAs varFileName Is the "ServerName" property still accessible in .Net? Do you take a different approach for unique file names? I use a guid to same the file with a unique name: You can see it here: http://radio.javaranch.com/pascarello/200...

how to get a url of a file with file upload
i want to store the url of a file in database where user uses the fileuplaod to select the file Then  the url of the file that is chosen should be stored in database i don't know how t odo this Can the above be done in this way or is there another way for the solution      http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/120606-1.aspxRegards,Anas Ghanem.Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wrong on the forums (like duplicate ,Off-topic,offensive,or any post that violates the website "TERMS OF ...

How to get file extension of uploaded file
Heres a simlpe one. How do i get the file extension of an uploaded file or any file for that matter without using any of the substring or split functions. I thought File.PostedFile would contain a property like that but it was not to be. Thanks in advance. As far as I know, the only way to get the extension is to parse it out...out of curiosity, why do you not want to use any of the string methods for parsing? Chris I totally agree with the previous response but thought I would add a few other options which *may* help, depending if they are usable in your situation. (Without additi...

File name in the file upload control
Hi everyone, Im using file upload control to upload files, on clicking browse button, a dialog box open and selecting the file and "Open". it shows the file path...as C:\Documents and Settings\con_ksprakash\Desktop\mail.doc      only half of the path is visible so, either it has to show text right align focus or i want to display only the file name to user. is it possible ?   thanks in advance.ThanksPrakash.K.S hi, you only want to show the "mail.doc" from fileupload control? as i know, that is not possible, because fileupl...

file upload change file name
Hi all,I want to change file name when fileupload is uploading.For example the file name is "bahadir.jpg" then I want to change "bahadir_00231.jpg"how to do this? Good works. Humans coded by "DNA" language. Use FileUpload.SaveAs()"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." I think you can use this in you button click event where the StrFileName you can create by code UploadControl.PostedFile.SaveAs(Server.MapPath(StrFileName)) hope thi...

file uploader save file on server and in database and upload this file on client
hi,i have a file uploader control user can attach files (.rar, .zip, etc) and store file folder and path in database. and another user can click of attach link and can download that file. how can i do this please solve out this problem. you can find your problem solution in this link and you can store the file name in your database server.http://www.aspnettutorials.com/tutorials/network/net-fileupload-aspnet2-csharp.aspxPlease Mark as Answred If This Blog has Helped You.RegardsMitesh Darjihttp://www.indianic.comhttp://www.mitatdotnet.blogspot.com As always there are many ways and which ...

how to get date created of file while uploading any file
Hi, I am using FileUpload control in C# to upload files into database in my web application. My requirement is that I need to have Date Created, Date Modified and Last Access date of the file being uploaded and store the same into my database. I used "System.IO.File.GetCreationTime(finfo.FileName).ToShortDateString();" which is working fine in my local system. But after deploying on my webserver, it is giving me only "12/31/1600". Does any one know any work around this? Regards,Krunal hi doshi_krunaln, If you ar eusing ToShortDateString(0 function it will always re...

Web resources about - Get file name of uploaded file - asp.net.classified-starter-kit

Help:Files - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... the first step in using an image or other media file is to upload it to Wikimedia Commons , but for legal reasons, some files must be uploaded ...

Facebook Explains Auto-Enhancing of Photos Uploaded via iOS App
Facebook indirectly confirmed Tuesday’s report on auto-enhancing photos uploaded via its iOS application with a post on its engineering blog ...

Facebook Crosses 10 Billion Uploaded Photos
The Facebook Engineering team has just announced that Facebook users uploaded their 10 billionth photo to the site yesterday. Facebook is now ...

How many photos are uploaded to Facebook each day?
Answer (1 of 2): We currently have over 200 million photos uploaded per day, or around 6 billion per month. There are currently almost 90 billion ...

Gridplay - The Vine & IG Music Video Maker, Uploaded from Your Camera Roll on the App Store on iTunes ...
Get Gridplay - The Vine & IG Music Video Maker, Uploaded from Your Camera Roll on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

Happy Iranians - Original uploaded Iran version of Pharrell Williams " Happy " video - YouTube
Join me at https://www.facebook.com/Sufinumeerpage Young Iranians Arrested For Dancing In 'Happy' Pharrell Video Age: 25, Crime: Happiness About ...

#MyDubai: half a million images uploaded in four months
The number of hits over such a short period of time show how the project has sparked UAE residents’ imaginations, the state news agency Wam reported. ...

Throwback of the Day: Watch the First Video Ever Uploaded to YouTube
This 18-second clip titled “Me at the Zoo” is the very first video ever uploaded to the site 10 years ago today (April 23, 2005). And while it ...

A million minutes of history uploaded online
The AP and British Movietone will upload more than a million minutes of historical footage to YouTube.