ERROR "Keyword not supported: '"server'."

I am attempting to get the classifieds going on a Win2k03 with MS SQL Server 2000.

I have executed

osql -S <server name> -U <db_user> -P <DB_password> -d <DB_Name> -i <path to the starterKit>\App_datat\classifieds-add.sql

and

osql -S <sql server name> -U <db_user> -P <DB_password> -d <DB_Name> -i <path to the starterKit>\App_datat\classifieds-categories.sql

to create some sample data

Updated the Web.config file by commenting out

<!-- <add name="classifiedsConnection" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\classifiedsdb.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

-->

and added:

<add name="classifiedsConnection" connectionString="Data Source=<sql server name>;Initial Catalog=<DB_Name>;User ID=<db_user>;Password=<DB_password>" />

But I still get the following error when I go to http://server/classifieds/default.aspx

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Keyword not supported: '"server'.

Source Error:

Line 7:  	{
Line 8:
Line 9:  		if (!Roles.RoleExists("Administrators")) Roles.CreateRole("Administrators");
Line 10: 		if (!Roles.RoleExists("Guests")) Roles.CreateRole("Guests");
Line 11:

Source File: d:\data\wwwroot\classifieds\Global.asax    Line: 9

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Keyword not supported: '"server'.]
   System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions.ParseInternal(Hashtable parsetable, String connectionString, Boolean buildChain, Hashtable synonyms, Boolean firstKey) +1406482
   System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions..ctor(String connectionString, Hashtable synonyms, Boolean useOdbcRules) +102
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString..ctor(String connectionString) +52
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnectionOptions(String connectionString, DbConnectionOptions previous) +24
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnectionPoolGroup(String connectionString, DbConnectionPoolGroupOptions poolOptions, DbConnectionOptions& userConnectionOptions) +125
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.ConnectionString_Set(String value) +56
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.set_ConnectionString(String value) +4
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection..ctor(String connectionString) +21
   System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder..ctor(String connectionString) +40

[ArgumentException: An error occurred while attempting to initialize a System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection object. The value that was provided for the connection string may be wrong, or it may contain an invalid syntax.
Parameter name: connectionString]
   System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder..ctor(String connectionString) +123
   System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +108
   System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider.RoleExists(String roleName) +482
   System.Web.Security.Roles.RoleExists(String roleName) +242
   ASP.global_asax.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\data\wwwroot\classifieds\Global.asax:9

Is there anything wron or missing from the connection string? I have double checked that all the real names are correct.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks.

0
wiggledbits
11/25/2006 1:31:51 AM
asp.net.classified-starter-kit 974 articles. 0 followers. Follow

sounds like a problem with the connection string. did you use this exactly as you posted it?

<add name="classifiedsConnection" connectionString="Data Source=<sql server name>;Initial Catalog=<DB_Name>;User ID=<db_user>;Password=<DB_password>" />

or did you put your specific server detail in it?

<add name="classifiedsConnection" connectionString="Data Source=myServerIPAddress;Initial Catalog=TheActualDatabaseName;User ID=ActualUserAccount;Password=ActualPassword" />

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
mbanavige

.NET Error Message "Server Error in '/' Application."
I continue to get this error message randomly for several .NET applications and I'm trying to determine if this issue is "Permissions" or "Application Configuration" related.  What are the necessary NTFS security groups and rights that should be applied to the file directories?  Or what is the resolution to resolving this complex problem? HELP! moblack29   The first step is posting the full error message. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

"Server Error in '/' Application" in .net 2.0
I have a working application which suddenly stopped working with the message: "Server Error in '/' Application. The resource cannot be found" I use asp.net 2.0 and work with a file-system web (no IIS for now). My office runs the security updates on the network from time to time, and my guess is: this is the culprit. The app still works on my laptop. I did run aspnet_regiis. Just in case, although I did not expect it to help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. More detail about the error message, please. When it says "Resource cannot be found" is it talking about your defaul...

Replace(txt,"'","''") in code-behind
i'm creating a file named client.vb using my wordpad. I'm using this as a code-behind sort of thing. The problem is I want to remove the ' from my strings so that i can put them in SQL statements. The Replace doesn't work, is there any other way to this. thanks. Can you show me the code sample you have for the string.Replace() method? That should work for you. You should instead use Sql Parameters to compile and send your query to the db. One of the many benefits of doing so is that you don't need to worry about the single quotes.-- daver True. However, I'd like to know why you are ha...

Mysterious error : "Server Error in '/' Application" ?!?!
I use ASP.NET Form Authentication. When user browsed my web site, he received an error as this " Server Error in '/' Application.". This error is only happened when he uses Windows 2000, Windows 98 with Internet Explorer version 6.0.25XX. If he uses Windows XP , Windows 2003 with Internet Explorer version 6.0.3790.0, my web site is action properly !. Somebody please tell me what was happened, how we can fix this error. Thanks for all your advice....

"Cast from string "" to type 'Date' is not valid" error
Hi, I solved a "Error converting data type nvarchar to datetime" problem with the help of this forum. The thing simply was to convert a date, say StartDate to Ctype(StartDate, Date). Now that I did this for all dates in the AdminDB.vb file, I get the following error while trying to remove Expiry Date from Site Settings : Cast from string "" to type 'Date' is not valid How can I correct this ? thanks for your help JohannWebsite - Weblog I'm stuck here ! Now I can use dates in the correct format, but cannot update Site Settings with an empty Expiry D...

"Server Error in '/' Application."
One of the users on my website(www.control-line.org) keeps getting the following error: [UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The URI scheme is not valid.] The error happens inside of System.Web.HttpRequest.get_UrlReferrer on page load. The user who's having this problem is a MySQL/PHP/Apache user/developer and he is already insinuating that .NET is no good. I would love to get this figured soon so that insinuations do not turn into MS bashing. I have no desire in arguing: it’s tiring and non-productive. Please, any ideas, help would be appreciated! Steven Yampolsky P...

Minimizing the "Server Error in '/DotNetNuke' Application" error
As I have seen many times in this forum, people have been posting problems with running their portal after building because of: Server Error in '/DotNetNuke' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: ? Source Error: ...

Error in passthru packet: 'get truncation "Servername"."dbname"'.
ASE 12.0.0.6/P/EBF 10395 ROLLUP RS 11.5.1/EBF 9427 Platform NT Configuration - Warm Standby configuration with 3 Active databases. Both Active and Standby servers are within our firewall so that discounts timeouts. Background We have a batch job that backups up the user and system databases before stopping and then restarting the ASE services. It appears that the Backup server completes before the error message is displayed, the NT Event logs show nothing else apart from a copy of the error messages listed here. Following message occurrs on a infrequent basis at or a...

Single Quote( ' ' ) and Double Quote( " " ) usage
Is there a standard usage in PB for using single and double quotes in script. Not really. I generally prefer to use the single quote because it doesn't require holding down the Shift key. My $.02 Ron Gallagher, CPDP Atlanta, GA rongallagher@mindspring.com Don Hill wrote in message <3757f6bb.169233004@forums.powersoft.com>... >Is there a standard usage in PB for using single and double quotes in >script. ...

Like "'" + Billtocompany + "%'" does not work
Dear All,  I have put the following code and not records returned. Do you know Why? Even I have set the variables to be empty string. SQL Data Source: <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:THL2ConnectionString %>"     SelectCommand="SELECT BLInv.InvNo, .....from ...... WHERE (BLInv.BilltoCompany like @BillToCompany) AND (BLInv.CountryCode like @CountryCode) AND (BLInv.Quarter like @Quarter)">        <SelectParameter...

Error
Hi  I have not worked in ASP.NET for quite a few months now... and it really shows. Desinging new simple site - nicked some of my old code. I think I must have totally forgotten a few crucial bits here and there. Code below:<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" MasterPageFile="~/change_master.master" MaintainScrollPositionOnPostBack ="true" %> <asp:Content ID="mycontent" ContentPlaceHolderID="master_placeholder" Runat="Server"> <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"></asp:TextBox> </asp:Content>  Imports system.Diag...

I'm getting an error using NavigateURL ='<%# Eval("Url") %>', it works when using NavigateURL="intro.aspx"
I'm getting an error using NavigateURL ='<%# Eval("Url") %>', it works when I use NavigateURL="intro.aspx" Server Error in '/orthoassist' Application. The resource cannot be found. Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. Requested URL: /orthoassist/intro.aspx <asp:HyperLink runat="server" ID="hl1" Text=...

What's with "~/" and NOT "~/" ?
In trying to deplay test projects to my provider (GoDaddy) I'm finding a consistent barfness with the form of reference that I read as "in this directory, this file"  or "~/filename.filetype". I am having to consistently strip the "~/" to make it work.Is there a way to strip off this type of reference through a preference? In the past, I've been led to believe that "filename.filetype" when in the same directory was just FINE as that -- no need for this "~/".Hints, direction, etc. welcomed and appreciated in advance ... mahalos .....

"Server Error in '/' Application." (and no details)
"Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config...

Error "denotes a 'property' where a 'class' was expected"
Hi! All I want to do ist making the Reponse Object running im my Class. Here the Code: public class Mywriter { public Mywriter() { } public void mywrite(string text) { Response.Write(text); } } void page_load(Object sender, EventArgs e) { Mywriter mytester = new Mywriter(); mytester.mywrite("test"); } When i run the Code, i get the following error: Compiler Error Message: CS0118: 'System.Web.UI.Page.Response' denotes a 'property' where a 'class' was expected ( @ "mytester.mywrite("test"); ) ...

Wired's Vista "Do's" Have Some Major "Don'ts"
Wired has an article up about how to speed up Vista. While they have a couple OK tips in there, there are a couple of suggestions that caught my attention as colossally BAD. I tried to edit the wiki page to reflect this, but I was rebuffed by the original author. So much for community contributions. http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/robert/archive/2008/02/27/wireds-vista-dos-have-some-major-donts.aspx -- "Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly" In grc.techtalk, on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:32:04, paradoX wrote: >Wired has an article up about how to speed up Vist...

TextBox1.Text.Replace("'", "&39;")
 Hey guys.Am trying to insert text into a table on an sql database and written the following code to do so: 1 Dim stockTitle As String2 Dim stockDesc As String3 4 stockTitle = txtTitle.Text.Replace("'", "&39;")5 stockDesc = txtDesc.Text.Replace("'", "&39;")6 7 strConnection = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("ExGearConnectionString")8 9 sqlConn = New SqlConnection(strConnection)10 Dim command As N...

$x ="('what is happening here?')"; print "${$x}";
This is a bug report for perl from dmi@questrel.com, generated with the help of perlbug 1.28 running under perl v5.6.0. ----------------------------------------------------------------- [Please enter your report here] $x ="('what is happening here?')"; print "${$x}"; [Please do not change anything below this line] ----------------------------------------------------------------- --- Flags: category=core severity=low --- Site configuration information for perl v5.6.0: Configured by dmi at Sat Jun 3 20:07:43 PDT 2000. Summary of...

Deleting "to's" and "from's" on emails
Name: Rae McFarland Email: larryatmacsmachinedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Deleting "to's" and "from's" on emails Comments: There doesn't seem to be a way to edit and email and then forward it. Some people send something I'd like to forward, but there's a whole page of previous mailing addresses. I'd like to delete them before forwarding. I've tried and the whole email gets deleted. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Compilation Error: The Type 'Microsoft.LearningComponents.Framesets.TOCHelper' exists in both "directory" and "directory"
Hi there, I'm having a problem at the moment with compiling my web application, the application is inheriting the above-mentioned type from two places.  The error message is as follows Error 1 The type 'Microsoft.LearningComponents.Frameset.TocHelper' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit\1.3.0.2__24e5ae139825747e\Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\basicwebplayer\92b06721\32e9e029\App_Code.ax8qo3m_.dll'   I've tried d...

Using cdate function but got error "Conversion from string " " to type 'Date' is not valid."
I want to control user's input in Due date text box like below to make sure that user does not input date earlier than today: If Me.txtDueDate.Text <> "" Then      If (DateDiff("d", CDate(Me.txtDueDate.Text), (Date.Today)) > 0) Then     // Message: due day should not be earlier than today      exit sub End If  The problem is: if user did not input anything in txtDueDate box, I still got error: Conversion from string "  " to type 'Date' is not valid How to fix it? Help!!!   I'd use a RequireFie...

Error: Server Error in '/' Application. The "web.config" file is attached for your reference.
Dear All, I receive the following error & the web.config file is copied below for your reference. body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;} p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px} H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red } H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon } ...

Help!!! I have errors "Compiler Error Message: BC30389: 'C' is not accessible in this context because it is 'Private'."
Hi guys! Pls. help me with this one. I know this is very simple and easy for you. i'm just stuck in here for almost two days. I just can't solve this error. Pls reply. Tnx! =) Server Error in '/WebApplication1' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. hi guys! i'm new in using Crystal Report .Net and I jus...

Please help with "Server Error in '/' Application"
 I have IIS 5 and .NET 2.0. Website was made in VS WebDev 2005 ExpEd. Server Error in '/' Application. Specified method is not supported. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NotSupportedException: Specified method is not supported.Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the except...