Cassini Web server is not working with our web site

Hi,
       Our client had  a constriant in  the installation of IIS due to security reasons. So we had proposed Cassini and were evaluating it. The site works perfectly fine with IIS but  with cassini nothing comes up. I guess iam missing some very basic configurations. I  have my  entire folder under c:\inetpub\wwwroot and in the cassini configuration i had specified the root directory as c:\inetpub\wwwroot and  "\" in virtual root. I tried accessing my web page and it was throwing errors for the following lines . These are the settings in my web config

<authentication mode="Forms"><forms name=.AppCookie" loginUrl="~/Public/AppLogin.aspx" protection="All" timeout="240" path="/" />

</authentication>

<sessionState mode="InProc" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes" cookieless="false" timeout="240" />

Let me know what are the basic configurations i am missing for my entire web site to run on cassini?

Thanks,
Bob

0
bob2006
2/28/2006 9:52:25 AM
📁 asp.net.cassini-web-server
📃 484 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 2 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 199 Views

What errors are thrown?

One thing to keep in mind is that the Cassini sample app runs as the current user, so any login errors or permissions issues are usually due to user credentials.

-Dan
danmor
3/29/2006 7:11:05 PM

Bob, is it possible that you try to run ASP.NET 2.0 application under Cassini compiled for 1.1 Framework? That may be the problem.

Also, Bob, no matter how unsecure IIS seems to your client, the reality is that Cassini is probably much less secure than IIS, especially if you run it under interactive user account, which may well have administrator privileges. Hacking your app running under Cassini running in turn under powerful user account may lead to complete control over the box by the hacker. Using IIS is much safer.

If you absolutely must use something other than IIS, consider UltiDev Cassini - it runs as a windows service and thus can be configured after installation to run under restricted account, like Network Service. You would have to chage service's identity manually since right out of the box UltiDev Cassini runs under powerful Local System account. Take UltiDev Cassini 2.0 if you run ASP.NET 2.0 applications, and UltiDev Cassini 1.1 if your application is for .NET Framework 1.1.

0
UltiDev

Similar Posts: