Calling a server side function from client side using the toolkit

Ok, I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but I'm willing to ask it anyway.

 Let's say that I created a new extender called "My", so I now have three files files, MyExtender.cs, MyBehaviour.js, and MyDesigner.cs.

 I want my control to be able to take some data on the client side and use it to retrieve some data on the server side, which AJAX is all about right? :) So for the sake of argument, let's say I want to enter an email address in a textbox, and then consult a database to return the user's password.

So in my MyExtender.cs file, I create a function something like this:

public string getPassword(string email) {

... Make some database calls to get the info

return password;

}

What code do I put into the MyBehaviour.js file in to to call the getPassword function? And do I need any special decorations on the getPassword() function to make it happen?

-Todd Davis
http://www.SeaburyDesign.com
0
toddhd

You can use ICallbackEventHandler interface for this purpose. This is the exact purpose of this interface in ASP.Net 2.0. Check out the MSDN for this interface.

- Sujit

sujitm
10/24/2007 4:58:10 AM

You really should look at how to create an extender to do it the best way.  There is a great tutorial here, http://www.asp.net/ajax/ajaxcontroltoolkit/samples/Walkthrough/CreatingNewExtender.aspx that is a simple example of how to create a simple extender.  Also if you just want to use the code behind to retrieve info from the database, you may just want to wrap an update panel around your form and get the data from the code behind.  Either way you will be able to accomplish what you want.

Jim Zimmerman
0
jimzim

Web resources about - Calling a server side function from client side using the toolkit - asp.net.ajax_control_toolkit

Talk:Trigonometric functions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Mathematics , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Mathematics on Wikipedia. If ...

TV binging, exercise skipping linked to poor cognitive function
Bad habits early in life may affect brain power later, researchers suggest.

iPhone best tricks and functions - Business Insider
Your iPhone can do a lot more than you think.

Review: HP Spectre 360 A Perfect Mix Of Style, Form, Function
HP Inc. delivers a brushed-aluminum laptop with a new 6th Generation Intel i7 processor, making it one of the best-looking, best-priced and best-performing ...

HPE Offers Catalog of Virtual Network Functions for Telcos
The vendor's OpenNFV Solution Portal gives carriers a single place to find a range of VNFs that are pre-tested to run on their networks.

Why Global Corporations Need To Redesign Their Strategic Planning Function
Corporate strategy teams play an important role in guiding business leaders to make smarter, better and more informed decisions, especially in ...

Code Craft – Embedding C++: Timing Virtual Functions
... compiler just like the standard language types. A subtype inherits the characteristics of its parent type and can use, or not, the member functions ...

Political row over omitting Kerala CM from PM Modi’s function
Kerala chief minister Oommen Chandy on Saturday decided to keep away from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s function in Kollam in south Kerala after ...

Colorado governor: This Planned Parenthood shooting may be a function of inflammatory rhetoric from bloggers ...
Via Grabien , skip to 4:45 of the clip below for the key bit. I naively thought we were (mostly) done with “climate of hate” stupidity after ...

Surprise: Binge-Watching TV May Cause a Decline in Brain Function
With the second season of Transparent only a few days away, some bad news awaits us: According to a recent study and common sense, probably, ...