Web Server Controls - Basic Requirements To Work with AJAX.NET

Is there any documentation showing what is required to equip a server-side WebControl to work with AJAX.NET?

I have some VERY simple WebControls that fire "Click" events.   One of them consistantly causes the entire page to refresh, while the other doesn't.   But they are both doing the same thing.    For some reason, one seems to not work with AJAX.NET, while the other does.    Both of them are wrapped inside an UpdatePanel and ContentTemplate - but behave differently under AJAX.NET.   Mysterious.

I can't tell if the examples showing ScriptControlDescriptor.AddEvent are relevent for what I'm doing or not.   This seems to be related to very specific client side javascript voodoo  - I just want to have a generic control that can fire events that will postback to the code-behind (like a normal ASP.NET button, for example - I can drop one of these on a page, use the event, and it just works - but how to do this properly with a custom WebControl - RELIABLY?).

If there is a plain-jane, simple example of a WebControl and the proper way to have it fire events (__doPostBack) without causing the entire page to refresh, that would be VERY helpful.

Thanks.

0
darndt

There's lots of examples of how to do this outside the webcontrol, so to do it inside a webcontrol all you really have to do is embed the javascript in the assembly and make sure that it ends with the if(Sys && Sys.Application) Sys.Application.notifyScriptLoaded(); statement.  The easiest way to wire up interaction between your C# class and the javascript is by following the pattern described in the tutorials on custom extenders.  children of ScriptControl follow the same basic pattern.
0
paul
2/14/2007 6:56:36 PM

I've looked at the examples.   There are too many things illustrated just aren't exlained.  Sorry.  I just don't have time to read the "Gone With the Wind" to get an answer to a simple question.

Do I have to write special javascript  beyond the standard "_doPostBack" to get a postback executed without causing a page update?  Why does it work for an asp:Button without doing anything out of the ordinary?   Is some kind of magic support wired into ASP.NET for the standard .NET controls?

SIMPLE QUESTION (YES/NO):

Can I write a WebControl that fires events - like I would for a NON-AJAX application -  and have it work under AJAX.NET without refreshing the entire page?

 I thought that any postbacks generated inside an UpdatePanel/ContentTemplate would be AUTOMATICALLY handled by AJAX.NET.  This is what it says in the documentation.   Is this true or no?

This is just a YES/NO question.

Thanks (frustrated - about to punt on AJAX.NET and just work with web callbacks....)

0
darndt

Troubleshoot Web Service; Ajax AutoComplete events do not appear to not fire; Ajax web service appears to not work. .NET
Folks, I had the situation that Ajax AutoComplete events in the web service did not fire after I copied a project out of a folder, renamed it and moved it to a server. The fix was hard to find but easy to solve. I had some web service modules in an ASMX file that provided AutoComplete entries -- i.e., after the user keys in 2 or 3 characters, the list of possible entries with those leading characters is displayed for the user to select. To solve the problem, look at the web service's directive, not the code-behind or the ASMX designer.  Do a right-mouse-click on the web service, in my case named AutoComplete.asmx, and open with Notepad if nothing else. It showed: <%@ WebService Language="vb" CodeBehind="AutoComplete.asmx.vb" Class="FORMERPROJECTNAME.AutoComplete" %> I changed 'FORMERPROJECTNAME' to 'CURRENTPROJECTNAME', and it once again worked like a champ. Hi, Thank you for your post! As we all know, the namespace name for a project is the project name by default.so.... Thanks again for sharing your solution.  Best Regards,Sincerely,Jin-Yu YinMicrosoft Online Community Support Thanks so much!  I'm embarrassed to admit that I spent 3 hours trying (unsuccessfully) to debug this on my project.  You hit the nail on the head.  I had also copied a working AutoComplete from another project, and apparently messed up when I renamed it.  The error is ...

Old AJAX in .NET 1.1 compatibility with .NET framework 2.0. Ajax does not work always ....................
Hello,I have converted the web site from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0. Some of the pages in the web site use AJAX which was developed in .NET 1.1Ajax does not work smoothly in .NET 2.0. Do I have to use ATLAS or is there any fix I can use to make the AJAX work ?Please let me know. Many thanks in advance. Nick..........

Validation control in composite control is not working in ajax.net v 1.0
In reference to http://forums.asp.net/thread/1545781.aspx: I have a composite control that implements ivalidator (uses Page.Validators.Add) that no longer works with the new ajax.net. what do I do to make it work again?...

adding Ajax to my non-Ajax .NET web site
Hi all I've a site that i developed by .NET (visual studio.net 2005 - VB.net) and want to add Ajax into the pages now. I've downloaded required AJAX tools and be able to develop AJAX enabled pages but want to integrate ajax features to existing pages. Could you please help me how i can do this? Thanksmcb Look at the videos here: http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/  (number 7 in particular)Steve Wellens My blog if a web site is a normal asp web site then u have to add these lines in web.config under the system.web tag         <httpHand...

Does AJAX.NET work with SQL server connections?
All, I have an application that uses SQL server as backend. The application has 5 drop down lists and the contents of the bottom 4 list depends on the item selected in drop down list 1 (think of it as cascading drop down lists if you will). Each of these lists pull data from a SQL database. The application works fine - the only issue is the delay in pulling data. I tried to "ajaxify" this (by including a ScriptManager, UpdatePanel and doing the necessary web.config edits), but it doesn't do the trick.Is there a better solution for this? I looked at the Cascading drop down ...

Web Parts and about server callbacks and Ajax.NET
Hi All I have one question. I have created Two Web Parts. I have created using ASP.net 2.0 Web Part Controls. One is Master Web Part and other is Details Web Part. When the selection in the master webpart changes, the detail must be updated accordingly. I wants to Implement "Client Callbacks Without Postbacks" on these two web parts. i.e. If i select any thing in the master web part it should display the details in the details web part with out post back. Can any one give me a solution for this. Thanks Phan ASP.NET WebParts has the Connections feature, but these are pro...

System.Web.UI.Page and Ajax.net
 İ use .net 2005 and ajax.net.Normally i use System.Web.UI.Page,my webpage is working.But in here we use other page that extends System.Web.UI.Page.if i extend my class to our  webpage my ajax.net isn't  working. My error explanation is: sys.webfrom.pagerequestmanagerparserErrorException:the message received from the server could not beparsed.Common causes for this error are when the response is modifies by calls to Response.write(),response filters,httpmodules,or server trace is enabled. Details:Error parsing near'itle||Untitled PAge|<script language=J...

Does anyone know of either an ajax.net blog available or an 'inline editor' for ajax.net?
Hey all:  I'm desperately trying to find an AJAX control (I don't care if it's currently for ASP.NET AJAX.NET, since if not, I'll do the conversion and make it available to others) for creating blogs and another inline editor control, so that if there is text on the page, I can click on the text and it will automatically display an editor and allow me to edit the text/html.  Does anyone know of a control like this that's AJAX enabled?  Especially AJAX.NET.  I'm only interested in open-source, since any improvements I make I will make available on codeplex.com Thanks in advance for any pointer to a download page or pointers to a control that could be enhanced to do what I want... Anyone?  Buehler?  If anyone is looking for one, if I can find a reasonable facsimile, my work on it would benefit you too. ;-) <Most> all of the text editors out there are 'ajax' enabled - just not Microsoft Ajax enabled.  All of the popular ones like tinyMCE, FCKEditor and FTB (FreeTextBox) can be used with Microsoft Ajax by utilizing a 'wrapper approach'.  John Dyer (FTB author) was at one time looking for someone(s) to assist in getting FTB 3.0 compatible with Ajax before rolling out his new version...Other than that if I remember correctly in the MSDN Magazine archives was an article on creating a 'rich text' editor control. Those that do not use those use third party commercial components...hence why no real answers to this question.......

in ajax update .net validation control not work well
i am using ajax 1.0 in my project.when ever i use asp.net validation control in update panel they didn't work well.Is there any solution to this problem.Please help me i have 30 April as my projects delivery date so i need it urgent. RegardsGourav ranagourav.rana@redalkemi.com  Hello For sure there is a solutions. You encounter this behaviour because the standard Validator Controls aren't compatible with the UpdatePanel control. Controls that Are Not Compatible with UpdatePanel Controls The following ASP.NET controls are not compatible with partial-page up...

Bad web.config in AJAX.NET 1.0 under .NET 2.0 Express
My setup is MS.NET v2.0 with the C# and Web Express editions of 2005. I also installed the AJAX 1.0 release with the respective toolkit as indicated in the AJAX.NET site. However, when I create a new project I am presented with the usual bare bones default.aspx and the web.config. However the web.config shows a lot of warnings and errors.One of them was being that the "requiredPermission" (or something like that) attribute was not recognized. Somewhere on the net there is a post of a correction to the DotNetConfig.xsd schema file in VS.2005 so I used it and it got rid of THAT warning.&n...

AJAX Master Page, AJAX Web Form and AJAX Client Control Question?
I gues to get the ball rolling I have VS 2008 and I am creating ASP.NET websites. I have programmed with VS 2005 and always had to add AJAX features by hand. Now in VS 2008 you have new templates AJAX Master Page, AJAX Web Form, AJAX Client Behavior, AJAX Client Control, AJAX Client Library, AJAX-embeded WCF Service On these three templates AJAX Master Page, AJAX Web Form and AJAX Client Control. What makes them different from normal templates? Is it just a matter of adding the script manager to the page or is using a AJAX Master Page have a huge benefit over doing individual pages? I have search the net and have not found any good Pros and Cons info on them. Most of the stuff I find is VS 2005 and AJAX Toolkit you install be hand. Can someone please post back info or place to find info on major or minor differences or reasons for using AJAX ones over standard template w/o AJAX.George - (iamtgo3) www.ipdg3.com (AS / CADD / CompTIA A+ Certified / CompTIA Network+ Certified / MCSA / MCP / MCT)Helping Developers and Programmers Find Resources There's no fundamental difference.  The AJAX templates just start you off with a web.config that has all of the needed configuration settings.If you manually updated the web.config of an existing site to use the AJAX extensions, the end result would be the same.Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.Latest article: Using complex types to make calling services less… complex gt1329a Thanks for the post back. I figured it was s...

Creating an Ajax Toolbox control using vb.net on the server
I am brand new to Ajax and I'm trying to figure out how to insert an Ajax toolkit HoverMenu control using vb.net on the server.  Is there any vb.net sample code available that demonstrates how to create controls from the Ajax Toolbox?  I'm not sure of (among other things) what namespaces need to be imported.  As I said, I'm brand new to this and need help getting started. Many thanks. Sheldon  Hi Sheldon,I made this sample which create hoverMenuExtender according to your requirements, please try it. <%@ Page Language="VB" %> <!DO...

Calling a server method from the client with Ajax.NET Professional, it works but....
Okay, I'm not sure if this belongs in the Ajax Control Toolkit section or in here.  It does deal with the control, but I think it deals more with Ajax.NET Professional.  I'm sorry if it is in the wrong spot.  I've been trying to figure out how to enable/disable a bunch of animationExtenders whenever an object's onmouseover event fires.  Here is the solution that I ended up using: First, I am using Ajax.NET Professional.  I based my solution off of the following example: http://www.ajaxpro.info/quickguide.aspx I have all of my Anima...

AJAX.net doesn't work on production server?
So everything works perfectly on my dev computer (even in iis on XP), but it won't work at all on the production machine.  Here are the errors I've gotten and what I've done. First I got an error saying it can't find an assembly, so I added System.Web.Extensions and System.Web.Extensions.Design to the bin folder.  Why aren't these assemblies added automatically and why would it work on the development box with out the assemblies in the bin folder but it won't work on the production server? After I did that I got a message about how my pages weren't precompiled after I did a publish and copied the files from PrecompiledWeb?!  Again after publish the site worked on my XP machine IIS, but some how copying file from dev to production causes them to become unprecompiled?  I ended up checking the "Allow this precompiled site to be updatable" and I don't get the precompile error. Now I have a problem where I get an IndexOutOfRangeException in production that just doesn't exist dev and I have no idea what is causing this one. What am I doing wrong and why is it so hard to move this to production?   Ok, now for reasons I do not understand I no longer get the IndexOutOfRangeException, but I'm getting a FileLoadException saying Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The l...

How Do I Use AJAX and AJAX Control Toolkit In Visual Studio 2008 When Targetting .NET 2.0 Framework?
I have recently converted a lot of Visual Studio 2003 / .NET Framework 1.1 projects to Visual Studio 2008 / .NET Framework 2.0.  I want to be able to use AJAX and AJAX Control Toolkit under Visual Studio 2008 while we target the .NET 2.0 Framework.  Unfortunately, we cannot target .NET Framework 3.5 because we need Windows 2003 Server for that and we only have Windows 2000.  I do not want to use Visual Studio 2005 either.  Is it possible to do what I want given these conditions?You can't stop entropy so why even try? The simple answer is yes.  What pr...

AJAX Server Controls not working on production server
Hi All, I asked this question some time ago in the deployment forum but got no reply I'm now hitting it again and would really appreciate some ideas.. I am developing an ASP.NET 3.5 application which uses several custom AJAX Server Controls, these controls work fine on my development machine and on a Windows Server 2003 test machine, however on one of our production servers (which is also Windows Server 2003 and has had ASP.NET 3.5 installed) I get undefined namespace errors from Javascript in the script which is creating client-side instances of my controls eg. "MyTabControl...

(Please Help) Is a custom web control possible in AJAX.net? No really
Is a custom web control possible in AJAX.net? I don't want to extend anything, I have a totally new control that I have written and now wish to AJAX certain features of it. So throw away the toolkit.. I dont want to update the entire control at once so throw away the update panel. ie I have a control that contains 4 controls. I want to update the content of control 2 I can't call server methods found in my custom web control classes from javascript using AJAX.net? They have to be static methods on the actual web page itself which is impossible with a custom web control. However lot...

How to enable ajax (Use AJAX Controls) in my Web Control Library project
I have VS2005 with Ajax extended controls.   i have created a Web Control Library project, but i want to use ajax controls. is it possible.   I do not want to create a ajax enabled web site, but looking if any possible in my web control library project.   Please let me know and thanks in advance. D Hi, Yes. If you want to create User Control which contains a lot of web controls and Ajax control, you can create an User Control with Ajax Control to achieve it. If you want to create a Custom Control with Ajax, I suggest you build a new Extender. Please check the...

Getting AJAX to work in an existing .net 2 application
Hi.  Just thought i would share this little point i've found. i followed the tutorial how to get AJAX working in a non AJAX enabled (ie exisitng) asp.net app. I couldnt get it to work for ages but through trial and error found if VS 2005 created your web.config and you have a section which looks like this:  <xhtmlConformance mode="Legacy"/>   removbe this from the web.config file and AJAX will now work!  Yes. I had the same problem with a Web Application that was migrated to 2.0 from 1.1 and then I wanted it to be Ajax.Net enabled. Ger...

Trying to get a 2.0 site (with AJAX.NET) working on Server 2000
I recently wrote an application using AJAX.NET (and obvioulsy .NET 2.0).  When I went to publish the site on the server I realized that neither .NET 2.0 or AJAX.NET were installed.   I downloaded both and installed.  Rebooted the server to be sure.   After I created the virtual directory, I went to check the site.  I got a parse error ont he web.config file, immediately I realized that I forgot to set the site to 2.0 from 1.1 (like I do EVERY SINGLE TIME, but that is not here nor there).    The wierd thing is, is that once I switched over to 2.0 when...

How to get a Windows Server 2008 to run .NET 3.5 AJAX Web Applications
Hi, i'm kinda new to the .NET 3.5 framework.. I just developed a very simple web app using Visual studio 2008 beta2, choosing ASP.NET Futures AJAX. I then added a Web Reference that i call from a Silverlight control.. So far so good: i test it, and it runs locally.. I also have a Windows Server 2008 DataCenter Release candidate version, on which i used to run an ASP.NET 3.0 Web Application, that worked just fine.. But I can't figure out how to run this .net 3.5 Web App on my server: i tried installing the .NET 3.5 Framework on the server, but i still can only deploy 3.0 applications....

Web resources about - Web Server Controls - Basic Requirements To Work with AJAX.NET - asp.net.ajax-ui

Visa requirements for Swedish citizens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Adds Requirements For Submissions Of Apps, Open Graph Actions
Facebook announced three new requirements for developers submitting applications and Open Graph actions for approval. continued… New Career ...

Facebook platform update: ad image policy, age requirements, developer alerts
... followed or enforced. We’ve heard Facebook is developing a grid-based text overlay detection tool to identify non-compliant images. Age Requirements ...

YouTube - How to Define Agile Requirements
Veröffentlicht am 07.09.2012 Although understanding and defining user requirements is fundamental to delivering successful agile projects, this ...

Hillary Clinton's personal requirements for speech raise eyebrows
It was a list of requirements worthy of a Hollywood diva, from the temperature of the water in the carafe, to the shape of the chair cushions ...

China unlikely to cut bank reserve requirements: report
Central bank statement hints cut to reserve requirement ratio is not imminent.

Push for relaxation of workplace gender requirements
The federal government will face fresh calls to water down planned new gender equality rules for medium-sized businesses.

Electronic Visa Requirement For Foreigners Visiting Canada Delayed By Feds 0
The eTA is a mandatory entry requirement for almost all foreign nationals, who haven't needed a visa to enter Canada in the past.

ACLU sues Kansas over proof of citizenship requirement for voter registration
The ACLU announced today that is has filed a lawsuit in federal court against Kansas over their citizenship requirement for voter registration, ...

New security requirements protect, frustrate students seeking financial aid
In May 2015, the US Department of Education announced that it would sunset its old e-signature system for the Free Application for Federal Student ...