Server-side or client-side loading message?

I want to add this basic functionality of ajax, which is a loading message while the server is doing something.

I could use a client-side control, like a div. But then I'd have the problem of hiding the div after a certain method was finished. I could use registerclientscript, but then I think it is weird to activate the message with client code and deactivate in the code-behind.

I'd like to control the show and hide on the server side. How can I do that? When I click a button, I'd have to fire two assynchronous events, one to show the message and the other to do whatever it does...

So I want to know what you think is better? Or faster? Use client-side to show and server-side to hide? Or use both on server side? If so, how can I call two assynchronous methods? Is that even possible?

Thanks.
0
Themeros

You can use the server-side atlas progress indicator that came in latest CTP.

Or client side.

ie.

function YourFunction() {
     YourDivTag.innerText = "...Loading...";
      YourWebService.HelloWorld();
   }
   function onComplete(result) {
      YourDivTag.innerText = result;
   }

It will show the "...Loading...." until the results are returned in the OnComplete

0
Recon_609

"Push" messages to Atlas/Ajax Client or Client-side event handling of server messages
What I'm looking for is the ability for the client-side Ajax/Atlas GUI to be able to update itself when events occur on the server. The issue is that the events are triggered from a third party, and aren't triggered by postback. For example, let's say there's a Queue of data on the server, and each time a new item is added to the Queue, I want the client to recognize the addition and display the new item. Right now, the only way I can think of doing this is by setting up an Ajax timer and checking the state of the Queue on every timer tick. While this doesn't cause the page to refresh/postba...

Just curious whether anyone has seen a better way to implement the following. It doesn't seem like the best way! What I'm doing is passing in an array of values to the client via server side code. The reason for this is because I'd like the server to do most of the crunch work and then pass the final results to the client. I use the 'onload' event of an image. code behind: imgLoader.Attributes.Add("onload", "Init('Tag1;Tag2;Tag3')") client-side. The page also contains an image called 'imgLoader'. var Entities = new Array(); function Init(s) ...

When To Use Client Side vs Server Side vs AJAX
Before AJAX, it was fairly clear to me where to draw the line between functionality best performed server-side vs client-side.  For example, database access and data processing is done on the server, and basic field validation and other UI stuff is done on the client.  But now with AJAX implemented through Atlas, the line is blured.  I know what can be done... but what is the optimal way to design a web application using Atlas (in terms of what functionality should be implemented server-side versus client-side versus Ajax)?  What is the prev...

ajax
Dear all, I made my own autoComplete extender because the standard one was not suitable for us... I have a problem to returning a property value of my extender that was changed on the client-side. I used the default extender template in order to create it. Does anyone knows how to update a property on client-side and get its value on the postBack? Normally the GetPropertyValue of the ExtenderControlBase should pick the value from client but it returns the default value on null... Please help me... Thank you very much Hi Have you or anybody else managed to find a solution for this...

Client vs. Server Side AJAX.Net
I am curious to know what the advantages and disadvantages are to using the client side declarative style AJAX controls vs. the server side.  I can't seem to think of too many reasons why I would go to the client side libraries when I can use all the power of ASP.NET (debugging, compiling, controls) and just wrap them in a UpdatePanel.   It also seems kind of counter productive to use the client side libraries because they don't utilize all the cool new developments of ASP.NET.  Am  I missing something?  Do the client AJAX libraries give you m...

I have a question which is, when building a .net project, we are able to use server side code and client side code(java script). How do they communicate? Thanks Client Side coding works with the WebBrowser. So when ever you write client side code you have to keep browser compatability in your mind and you have to code. Server Side code works with Web Server (IIS) and it's ASPNET ISAPI's. The won't directly communicate with each other. But using AJAX you can all server side code from Client Side! Example article on Ajax@ http://www.devarticles.com/index2.php?option=content&task=...

client-side and server-side?
hi, can someone tells me how diff is client side and server side are these two? When I tried to do validation ... I would use Javascript ... which has something like: document.forms[0] ... I think that's client side. My understanding on server side is the "form" ... like u will have <form action=".." method=post> ..... </form> ... so it will send to server ... am I on the right track? Are there any other type of server side examples? Hi, ASP.NET itself is server side. Every piece of code processed is done on a server. What comes out of this is sent ...

Client side and server side
We have a application, where we have some validation on the clientside using EnableClientSideValidation. If you don't have fullscreen you can't see some of the error-messages. What we want is to jump to the place on the page where the message is displayed. One problem is that the button is a serverbutton (runat="server"). How can we accomplish this on the clientside using the same button. I have tried to use "onClientClick" and a link something like this:   <A HREF=http://forums.asp.net/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=18#form>form<...

Server-side or Client-side
In general, I'm wondering if there are any criteria to use when choosing between using a client side element or a server side element. For example, if I'm going to put an HTML table on a page, how do I decide whether or not to use a server control?  Should the server side always be chosen or if there is not explicit server side functionality required is it better to opt for a "normal" client side table? Obviously, if there is a need for server side control the question is answered, I'm looking more at more ambiguous situations. Thanks  This is from Micros...

Server Side or Client Side
Hi I'm a bit confused about this whole server side / client side thing. Are applets, embeded objects consider client side? If I have a form within my aspx page which connects to a database on the server side what is it considered? If I have some business logic written within a VB file when the client access the functions within that business logic (for example some kind of validation function) does the client browser actually downloads that VB file? Can someone suggest how to differentiate between client side and server side components within a asp.net based website?  Hi, i can&#...

Web resources about - Server-side or client-side loading message? - asp.net.ajax-ui

Server Side Includes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Cloud Platform simplifies server-side development for iOS w/ ‘Mobile Backend Starter’
... Mobile Backend Starter that first debuted for Android developers back in June. Google says the application helps to simplify the server-side ...

Free Cooling: the Server Side of the Story
Servers that support higher inlet temperatures could significantly reduce or even eliminate the cooling costs of the data center. We received ...

[Update: Check Now] Play Store For Android Gets Search Bar With Hamburger Flip In Server-Side Update
Google is pushing out an update to the Play Store's Android interface that replaces the action bar with a standard search bar. Inside are the ...

Server-side update makes Siri a stickler for succinctness
Siri is already well known for her wit and willingness to joke, but a recent server-side update has given Apple's digital assistant the ability ...

Japanese RIAA wants server-side music DRM for mobile phones
The Recording Industry Association of Japan—the Japanese version of the RIAA— …

New BaaS platform aims to eliminate writing server-side code
... offering for desktop and mobile developers that's now leaving its beta phase. By removing the need for writing code on the server-side, Backendless ...

Dart improves async and server-side performance
... Team Today's release of the Dart SDK version 1.3 includes a 2x performance improvement for asynchronous Dart code combined with server-side ...

Customize Google Using Server-Side Scripts
Google's services have a lot of powerful features, but they can't offer all the options requested by users. A popular way to customize Google ...